Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
020713_FS_FirstLook_DisneylandFantasyland_1.jpg
Here are some more.
020713_FS_FirstLook_DisneylandFantasyland_7.jpg
020713_FS_FirstLook_DisneylandFantasyland_11.jpg

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Eddie, I rode ET at Universal for the first time recently and I've got to say, I wasn't exactly impressed. If nothing else needing a cast member to explain the plot to people ahead of time points to issues with the story. If you were tasked with plussing the attraction with a reasonable budget what would you add in that could really change the ride's status around?

I last rode it in LA when it first opened and never went back. I think there are too many things to address, but as I recall the bad sightlines (at least from my POV) into the show scenes hurt any disbelief, and that whole saying your name (goodbye with ET) at the end was lame. I recall liking the forest preshow better than the ride.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
those sketches are really great. You may or may not notice the difference having the use of computers have on the drawing quality. The ability to duplicate and reverse intricate patterns and layers, building color and texture as he has done under a hand drawn image really adds a lot. Michel knows how to do this hybrid style well. I do all of my work digitally now and so do many designers. I love the "undo" command!

Notice how much information is in that CPG graphic design. He is showing the sections, the texture, everything about how he wants that thing executed, no mysteries. You could pretty much give that to a vendor and they could build that. I respect design that is simple in complexity but high in information.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Interesting account of how a handicapped man in a wheelchair was not removed from IASW while it was broken down (although others were) and so he won $8k because the park chose to leave him there till it was fixed versus having firefighters come and take him out. I wonder if this will generate a new round of legally driven signage disclaiming the fact that if the ride goes down you may be in there a while.

http://www.newsmax.com/newswidget/t...utm_medium=nmwidget&utm_campaign=widgetphase1

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's a sad state of affairs.. I'm sure the CMs initially thought they could get the boat moved quicker their way rather than call in the Fire Dept.. but at some point someone just couldn't admit defeat. I'd love to see the testimony for the case.

Cliff Racer

Oh boy, setting aside the fact that literally anyone can be trapped on certain rides for extended periods of time and in much less comfortable positions to boot (go on and image search people being stuck upside down in roller coasters) having to hear someone whine about his high blood pressure while listening to a great song for only half an hour must have been quite the thing to deal with for whoever was in charge down there.

Pixiedustmaker

Oh boy, setting aside the fact that literally anyone can be trapped on certain rides for extended periods of time and in much less comfortable positions to boot (go on and image search people being stuck upside down in roller coasters) having to hear someone whine about his high blood pressure while listening to a great song for only half an hour must have been quite the thing to deal with for whoever was in charge down there.

Paralyzed patients can get dysreflexia, which due to the spinal cord injury, means that their body can not control their blood pressure and it may fluctuate, dangerously so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomic_dysreflexia

Apparently his blood pressure wasn't adequately controlled at First Aid, and they presumably transferred him to an intensive care unit where he could receive more intensive monitoring. You're blood pressure shoots up too high and your blood literally oozes/explodes out of your blood vessels . . . if this happens in your brain you are not having a good day.

Let's see, if your skull is a closed container, except for the "hole" where your neck attaches, and it fills with blood quickly . . . guess where your brain is going to be "pushed"?

PHY_herniation.gif

That's why brain surgeons are able to save these patients by doing a fancy procedure that is really nothing more than drilling a hole in a person's skull . . . just to relieve some pressure and keep a person brain from squeezing downward towards their throat!

Of course the average CM has no idea about any of this, and figured the guy could chill in his wheelchair.

A possible solution might be to put an emergency gasoline motor on a boat which can be used to "push" all of the boats back to the dock (?) Tug boats can push big loads . . . Or just have a lower threshold for calling the FireDepartment.

I take it that a breaker to the jacuzzi motors flipped and it took them a while to reset it. Maybe they should alternate circuits for the jacuzzi motors so that if one side flips, the other side won't . . . or maybe put them on three different breakers, alternating down the line. (I wouldn't doubt that different *sections* of the ride's jacuzzi motors are on different circuits, but I'm talking about keeping flow going at least at a minimal level throughout the ride). They could also put in more jacuzzi motors and in an emergency crank up the power to the ones that are still working. Doing this wouldn't be that expensive given the consequences of having everything stopped for an hour.

They *could* redesign Small World so that all boats have access to a wide escape walk-way, and have a portable wheelchair ramp that can easily be pushed to anywhere in the ride and use to evacuate any boat in any position.

Maybe then they'll take my idea and put in glass enclosed green areas between the show rooms, or even add show rooms with natural lighting and plants!

michmousefan

I last rode it in LA when it first opened and never went back. I think there are too many things to address, but as I recall the bad sightlines (at least from my POV) into the show scenes hurt any disbelief, and that whole saying your name (goodbye with ET) at the end was lame. I recall liking the forest preshow better than the ride.
I've only ridden the Orlando version... are the two exact replicas or are there differences? In Orlando the evening forest queue is indeed a beautiful thing; really sets the atmosphere for the ride.

Funny how the scenario with ET saying your name is going to come back in a big way as part of NextGen... lets hope that however Disney implements the technology the characters are easier to understand than the somewhat mush-mouthed ET.

AJRitz

Interesting account of how a handicapped man in a wheelchair was not removed from IASW while it was broken down (although others were) and so he won $8k because the park chose to leave him there till it was fixed versus having firefighters come and take him out. I wonder if this will generate a new round of legally driven signage disclaiming the fact that if the ride goes down you may be in there a while.

http://www.newsmax.com/newswidget/t...utm_medium=nmwidget&utm_campaign=widgetphase1
Actually, he didn't win $8,000 in damages because of the excessive wait for evacuation from the attraction. Of the $8,000, $4,000 of the award was statutory damages - an amount established by statute - for a first aid station that wasn't fully handicapped accessible (IIRC, there was an issue with the counter height). It was only the remaining $4,000 that was awarded because the SOP to call the fire department for an evac was ignored, even after the CMs who evacuated the other guests were specifically informed that the disabled guest who was being left behind suffers from a panic disorder.

It's a fairly unique factual situation that does't really seem to open the door much for future litigation.

jt04

Not really only to say that La Live is incredibly vibrant but rather soulless and cold once you are in it.

Pretty much describes Los Angeles in general according to some. Heh.

Sad to hear that. Hopefully Disney Springs will have more heart and soul. Just learned that a new stadium and convention space are likely for LA Live. I would guess that would mean some sort of big event just about everyday of the year. Taking the concept of a lifestyle center to a whole new level. Looks amazing to me. Very amazing.

Aren't you located nearby? Seems like Rivera would be located perfectly if the stadium and convention center happen.

Such a complex would definitely be worth finding a reason to visit.

lazyboy97o

Pretty much describes Los Angeles in general according to some. Heh.

Sad to hear that. Hopefully Disney Springs will have more heart and soul. Just learned that a new stadium and convention space are likely for LA Live. I would guess that would mean some sort of big event just about everyday of the year. Taking the concept of a lifestyle center to a whole new level. Looks amazing to me. Very amazing.

Aren't you located nearby? Seems like Rivera would be located perfectly if the stadium and convention center happen.

Such a complex would definitely be worth finding a reason to visit.
Even the most utilized convention centers are not that popular and they can be a negative on the surrounding built environment due to their nearly total inward focus.

jt04

Even the most utilized convention centers are not that popular and they can be a negative on the surrounding built environment due to their nearly total inward focus.

A lot of convention space is stand-alone so since this will be attached to everything else maybe it will prove an exception. I would think daily crowds of 100-150 thousand or more would not be unheard of during some events.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom