Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

Nemo14

That's nothing compared to the guests stuck dangling in those chairs at 14 stories for 4 hours at Knott's. This one guest had a panic attack and I don't blame her.

I was stuck on a Ferris wheel once for about an hour, and I kissed the ground when we finally got down!

dagobert

It would be fantastic if DLRP would get a Star Wars Land. If I'm not mistaken, the first rumours about SWL came up last year. Since TWDC acquired Lucasfilm, I guess licencing agreements wouldn't be a problem. The only problem I see, is the financial situation of Euro Disney SCA, despite the fact, that TWDC bought ED SCA's debt last September. It's about time that DLP gets something new, the last new ride is Buzz and that opened already in 2005.

I'm going to DLP in a month and I hope that the parks are in a better shape than in recent years.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
It would be fantastic if DLRP would get a Star Wars Land. If I'm not mistaken, the first rumours about SWL came up last year. Since TWDC acquired Lucasfilm, I guess licencing agreements wouldn't be a problem. The only problem I see, is the financial situation of Euro Disney SCA, despite the fact, that TWDC bought ED SCA's debt last September. It's about time that DLP gets something new, the last new ride is Buzz and that opened already in 2005.

I'm going to DLP in a month and I hope that the parks are in a better shape than in recent years.

It's hit and miss. Some areas look great and others are falling apart. They've had to prioritize. Disney owning the majority must be a good thing as they don't have to ask the bank if they can paint the Castle. The show group there works very hard to get everything they can to be as good as can be.

Genie of the Lamp

A Star Wars Land in Discoveryland and a possible Marvel land in the WDS Backlot=awesome. I know the latter is just a rumor, but can't hurt to speculate/dream. Only thing there is that right now they only have Avengers as an established IP to work with now, so they should probably put it on hold and construct the SWL first then once they introduce more Marvel characters/stories to the Disney brand then that's when they should construct this land. Sounds like good/bright things are coming ahead to DLP Resort. What should they leave/take out/update when these lands become to be? Cause the author article suggests they should do a mix of new attractions,etc. with a re-themeing of existing attractions,etc. So in other words, how would you go about in perfectly executing these land(s)?

dagobert

It's hit and miss. Some areas look great and others are falling apart. They've had to prioritize. Disney owning the majority must be a good thing as they don't have to ask the bank if they can paint the Castle. The show group there works very hard to get everything they can to be as good as can be.

I know that DLP is trying hard, and I appreciate the efforts, but the most beautiful Magic Kingdom park deserves to be in a better shape. Nevertheless I'm really looking forward to return and to see Disney Dreams.

I hope with TWDC owning the debts, ED SCA is able to invest in new attractions and maintenance. Maybe one day TWDC will even consider a buy out of ED SCA. I think Mr. Gas mentioned in the last roundtable discussion, that DLP is working on a multi-year-long expansion plan for WDSP. I guess that's now a lot easier without asking for permission from the banks.

dagobert

A Star Wars Land in Discoveryland and a possible Marvel land in the WDS Backlot=awesome. I know the latter is just a rumor, but can't hurt to speculate/dream. Only thing there is that right now they only have Avengers as an established IP to work with now, so they should probably put it on hold and construct the SWL first then once they introduce more Marvel characters/stories to the Disney brand then that's when they should construct this land. Sounds like good/bright things are coming ahead to DLP Resort. What should they leave/take out/update when these lands become to be? Cause the author article suggests they should do a mix of new attractions,etc. with a re-themeing of existing attractions,etc. So in other words, how would you go about in perfectly executing these land(s)?

WDSP is such a mixture of different stuff. WDI should transform the park into several different studios, like Marvel Studios, Pixar Studios, Lucasfilm and Walt Disney Studios. The Toon Studios could easily be transformed into Pixar Studios, it just needs a retheming of Aladdin and Animagique, the rest, Crush's Coaster, Cars, TSPL and soon Ratatouille, is already Pixar based.

Production Courtyard should be rethemed to a 1950s version of Hollywood with a nice Hollywood Boulevard leading to a new hub.

Backlot should become Marvel Studios. I'm sure RnRC could be rethemed easily. The car stunt show and Armageddon could be removed. I'm not sure how popular the Marvel Comics are over here, but I guess Disney would use the movies for park attractions. By the way, according to the WSJ, HKDL will receive a Marvel Land.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I love guys like this. Aussie Billionaire Clive Palmer wants to replicate the Titanic and do themed cruises. I'm there. In the past, he annouced his own "Jurassic" type park and a plan to replicate a real Zeppelin. Sign me up for that trip too! I'll bring the Sky Captain soundtrack. I love that he wants to build real versions of things that met with horrible disaster either in history or fiction. He needs good execution as he has never got any of this off the ground and became an object of ridicule. The fact that he wants to build the Titanic replica in China makes me think that history could repeat itself!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_II#Design_stage

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Disney's early Attraction posters have a certain graphic boldness and allure that is hard to recapture. They had a kinetic simplicity about them. The Matterhorn is one of my favorites, or the Skyway. Good graphics communicate. I recently fell in love with the work of a graphic designer that worked with military giant, General Dynamics, an early Sponsor of Disneyland via the Submarine Voyage. Their early agenda was to assure the world that their Atomic products had a peaceful dimension. This Swiss designer Erik Nitsche (http://www.iconofgraphics.com/Erik-Nitsche/) helped them do that in the Eisenhower era with a series of "Atoms for Peace" posters. His work reminds me of those early ride posters in their direct and bold graphic style. They are ironic today, but beautifully designed. One of them, the "USS Naulilus" hung at the dock of the Submarine Voyage!
generaldynamics3.jpg

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Disney's early Attraction posters have a certain graphic boldness and allure that is hard to recapture. They had a kinetic simplicity about them. The Matterhorn is one of my favorites, or the Skyway. Good graphics communicate. I recently fell in love with the work of a graphic designer that worked with military giant, General Dynamics, an early Sponsor of Disneyland via the Submarine Voyage. Their early agenda was to assure the world that their Atomic products had a peaceful dimension. This Swiss designer Erik Nitsche (http://www.iconofgraphics.com/Erik-Nitsche/) helped them do that in the Eisenhower era with a series of "Atoms for Peace" posters. His work reminds me of those early ride posters in their direct and bold graphic style. They are ironic today, but beautifully designed. One of them, the "USS Naulilus" hung at the dock of the Submarine Voyage!

I have a couple WDW attraction posters (Wedway PeopleMover and Monorail System w/ Contemporary) that I love but have yet to get framed. The older DL attraction posters are even better. I agree with your comment about the kinetic simplicity. They just worked so well.

lazyboy97o

I think we've lost a lot of simplicity in graphic design because its so easy to just keep adding more and more in Photoshop. Anything can be done, so everything gets done. We really need to learn the value of editing. As Mies said, "Less is more." (Of course Venturi said, "Less is bore," and I'd argue he's pretty important in the world of themed design.)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I think we've lost a lot of simplicity in graphic design because its so easy to just keep adding more and more in Photoshop. Anything can be done, so everything gets done. We really need to learn the value of editing. As Mies said, "Less is more." (Of course Venturi said, "Less is bore," and I'd argue he's pretty important in the world of themed design.)

When everything is special...nothing is special.

Cosmic Commando

The chances of the ride not starting up at all again are very slim to none. Alice is guaranteed to break down at least once a day. Not once has the ride not started up again, and if it does, there are maintenance people on hand to start the ride back up.

The guests stay in the caterpillars as long as it takes. I remember the first time Alice broke down on me, it took 45 minutes for me to start the ride back up, with some of the guests still in the caterpillars.
No pressure!

Californian Elitist

No pressure!

LOL, the worst part was it was my first training day for Alice! Before going to the ride, my trainee told me the ride system for Alice is seriously old and it breaks down pretty much everyday. Then he started talking about the evacuation process and how it can take a long time, depending on where guests are in the ride and if we needed the fire department or not. I was not pleased to hear this, because I hated ride break-downs and evacuating guests.

Anyways, I walk over to Alice and start doing my thing... Maybe ten or fifteen minutes later, the ride breaks down. -____- And of course, we needed the fire department to come.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom