Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

KevinYee

Good commentary. All good points.I'm not sure why guests repeated TT, but I'd guess it was for the thrill primarily. It will be interesting to hear why and if they repeat this version. I will see Trevor after the holiday and ask him for his insights.

No one mentions the pre/post show "design your car" continuum or the interactives that make it more of a pavilion. I think in addition to the ride we should evaluate the total experience. To me, the cones "wore off" while I was riding 1.0, at least 2.0 seems like another world that I would enjoy being in. I need to ride it to have a true feel. I understand the notion that 2.0 may be more look and less substance, but when you are overdressing the same track, where do you go with it except to make it all more interesting? I think it comes off as more seamless in the video and the pre and post shows blend into the ride as the story crosses over nicely. I like being in a "design studio" world more than a "test facility", but that's just me. The world they created is something I'd pay admission for versus a warehouse, etc.

I hope Kevin responds to the discussion as he reads this thread.

Like you, Eddie, I find the preshow and post-show sections to be integral to the experience now, and part of what makes it fun. The ride is just the same ride it always was (though prettier). There is the added element that the thing you designed five minutes ago is now being compared to the cars designed by the people sitting in the ride vehicle with you... and competition usually "sells".

The post-show is where it comes home, though. The "compare your score" thing raises the competition into blood sport. People will (and already do) vow to get back in line just to beat their friend's score. The stuff about making a music video is gravy, and the video game racetrack with your own designed car is extra gravy (and extra cool gravy). It's REALLY HARD not to be immersed and sucked in by this stuff when you're on it and having just lived it. This might sound not that interesting to anyone just reading about it, but it simply 'clicked' for me the way so little has at Disney in the past decade.

On top of all this, the theme is just way more interesting. Be inside a warehouse doing everyday things versus be inside TRON (which, let's be honest, is what Trevor was going for here)... it's not even close in my book.

I do worry that high praise like mine (and others') might build up expectations TOO much. My praise is at least partly due to the fact that a) no one knew what to expect and b) I had very modest expectations. Now that both of those conditions are changed, I suspect new reviews will be less positive, and probably rightly so.

Jeanine

On today's Miceage, Kevin Yee has literally raved about Test Track 2.0 and now I'm wondering if a trip to WDW is in order. Kevin claims it is better than New Fantasyland. Have any of you been on it, and if so, what are your thoughts? So so or so cool?

I rode it a couple times last week--I thought it was immensely improved, as I would anything that replaced that hammering soundtrack in the waiting area. It looks great and very Tron, although I found it amusing the things that they kept and just morphed (cardboard trees still there, but now they're TRON cardboard trees!) The part where you customize the car is fun, but there are so many choices that I felt like you barely had time to scroll through them all before your time ran out--adds to repeatability, I would imagine. Ultimately I think I found the competitive element of the car scores to be less compelling, because for one thing, the computer didn't always load our car image (hopefully it will get more reliable with time,) and for another, if you use the single rider line you end up selecting from a pre-made car which usually winds up the same as several other riders'.

While I enjoy it much more than I did formerly, the ride experience still seems very close to the old one, particularly once you hit the outside loop and environmentally transition from Tron to backstage-parking-lot. If they could enclose that loop and continue the virtual grid theme (easier said than done, I imagine,) I think that would step it up to the next level.

I like New Fantasyland, however I can't help comparing it to the opening of DL's redone Fantasyland in the 1980's, which I prefer both in terms of offerings and theatrical presentation. (I make no claims to unbiasedness. :) )

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Actually, I think that's the one gaffe from TT 2.0 that bothers me. From the videos I've seen, your scores (capability, efficiency, responsiveness, power?) show up immediately with your car in the design studio. You can see the scores fluctuate as you tweak your car design... umm, isn't that why we're taking our SimCar out on the SimTrack? To get the scores to these tests to let us know how our design really functions? IMO, they should give you hints in the design studio like, "Doing x will help your power but hurt your efficiency", but not show you your scores until you get on the ride and do the tests. Just a little detail that doesn't really fit the continuity. I'm still dying to ride.

I do agree about the performance stats should only show up during/after the ride, not in the pre-show desing process, but who knows what kind of tweaks we may see.

I would also like to see larger screens where they show the car comparisons during the ride, as you go by them quickly and they're a bit small.

RSoxNo1

Agree. There is a fine line. I think they should make SW scarce fir a while and then create a demand for the franchise when the new films come out. Im getting burned out on the ironic use of the characters. Someday they will have no meaning.
At the same time, one of the things that's kept Star Wars relevant for 35+ years is that they have been willing to use the intellectual propoerty on things that someone like Rowling wouldn't.

Do you think Rowling would have let Disney make a Mickey Mouse/Harry Potter Big Fig? Would Robot Chicken or Family Guy be allowed to spoof Harry Potter?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
At the same time, one of the things that's kept Star Wars relevant for 35+ years is that they have been willing to use the intellectual propoerty on things that someone like Rowling wouldn't.

Do you think Rowling would have let Disney make a Mickey Mouse/Harry Potter Big Fig? Would Robot Chicken or Family Guy be allowed to spoof Harry Potter?

That is true, but isn't it also true that like telling a joke too many times, you can burn out on seeing Darth Vader in too many ironic situations? I say bring back the old crew in some way and just make some really good movies.

celluloid

Of course they would and have. You can't copyright parody. It can be difficult depending on what or how one is doing it and such, but you can't stop it.

And to counter your argument: Do you know what Star Wars never got when it was in its prime? An entire successful theme park land.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That is true, but isn't it also true that like telling a joke too many times, you can burn out on seeing Darth Vader in too many ironic situations? I say bring back the old crew in some way and just make some really good movies.

Yes!

Part of the lure is the exclusivity and the stark contrast. Dilute those and the 'appearance' becomes boring/average

RSoxNo1

No Rowling has higher standards than that.
That's what i was getting at. But at the same time, it very well could be the thing that results in Harry Potter not maintaining popularity. Star Wars, good or bad has been in the public eye long after the movies. If Rowling can continue to have her IP used in ways that she approves she can be successful, but a certain level of "selling out" has kept Star Wars relevant for 35+ years.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I have a dream.

It may not sound like much on the surface, but when fully imagined, it probably could only be a dream. Here goes.

I would love to see an evening where all of the merchandise is removed from the Magic Kingdom and all of the architectural distractions are removed as well. Like scraping away all of the crust from the top of a ketchup bottle. All of those "layers" that were never intended, but were added over time by necessity, like credit card advertisements at the cash register, or booths that sell timeshares, incongruous track lighting and slatwall, speaker and lighting poles, and the plethora of operational signage, trash cans, turnstiles, and other contradictory minutia. (Fat chance you say? That's why it's called a dream. But it's mine and I'm not done yet.) Once the land is free of thematic contradiction and the only thing left are the "sets on the stage", I would invite motion picture set decorators to come with truckloads of props and dressings, even the appropriate merchandise, and redecorate all of the spaces inside and out to be properly themed to a level of depth and realism that truly transports us to those worlds of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy. We would then rent theatrical costumes for the cast members that are varied and different and reflect their personality. As a finishing touch, actors provide "Streetmosphere" throughout each themed realm. No character parade.

Of course in this dream, I've hidden an access code in this post (DREAMALIVE) and so you are all invited to the richest thematic evening ever. Okay I'm done.

So the reason this is a dream is because I have always wondered what the true unbridled thematic potential really is underneath all of the commercial and operational requirements of a Disney Park. I want it all to be real like a movie, if just for one night. Then they can go back to selling Churros. I think that's one reason why it's so fun to walk around in the evening or in the morning before or after opening. Having the park to yourself allows you to be at one with the theme of each land. Perhaps even to silently role-play in the back of your mind.
Trying to make Main Street as much like a movie set as possible was one of our goals on Disneyland Paris. In a way, when I visit the park and walk through those façades I secretly wish that they would pay off like the sets of the movie, but I know that's not possible, and yes, I would like fries with that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Eddie - how does your dream compare to reenactments?

Say... Colonial Williamsburg? Or culture/folk museums? I've been to ones where it's completely pure except the visitors themselves.

They don't seem to be packing in the millions like Disney. Maybe the subject matter is holding them back... But is retail really hurting it? I think back to quarks bar in the Star Trek experience. That was integrated well and worked.

So it leads me to the question... Which is the distraction? The retail itself, or the implementation?

And would a 'true citizen' experience of say.. Main Street be enough of a draw? Look at the nature trails at dak. Those could be seen as a 'pure' experience attempt... And many guests bypass it all together

bcoachable

Eddie-
I felt that way as a kid when we visited "Silver Dollar City" in Branson (affectionately called "steal your dollar city by all the members of my family :) ). The whole park felt as if you had walked back in time. The CM's there would even talk in the dialect of the time period.
This makes me wonder outloud that kids must have a harder time seeing "crust on a ketchup bottle". And why the parks seem so much more magical to us as kids. Probably those of us that can become a kid again when they walk up Main Street have an easier time of feeling the Magic as well.
Love the Dream by the way... Thanks for the invitation!

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I have a dream.

It may not sound like much on the surface, but when fully imagined, it probably could only be a dream. Here goes.

I would love to see an evening where all of the merchandise is removed from the Magic Kingdom and all of the architectural distractions are removed as well. Like scraping away all of the crust from the top of a ketchup bottle. All of those "layers" that were never intended, but were added over time by necessity, like credit card advertisements at the cash register, or booths that sell timeshares, incongruous track lighting and slatwall, speaker and lighting poles, and the plethora of operational signage, trash cans, turnstiles, and other contradictory minutia. (Fat chance you say? That's why it's called a dream. But it's mine and I'm not done yet.) Once the land is free of thematic contradiction and the only thing left are the "sets on the stage", I would invite motion picture set decorators to come with truckloads of props and dressings, even the appropriate merchandise, and redecorate all of the spaces inside and out to be properly themed to a level of depth and realism that truly transports us to those worlds of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy. We would then rent theatrical costumes for the cast members that are varied and different and reflect their personality. As a finishing touch, actors provide "Streetmosphere" throughout each themed realm. No character parade.

Of course in this dream, I've hidden an access code in this post (DREAMALIVE) and so you are all invited to the richest thematic evening ever. Okay I'm done.

So the reason this is a dream is because I have always wondered what the true unbridled thematic potential really is underneath all of the commercial and operational requirements of a Disney Park. I want it all to be real like a movie, if just for one night. Then they can go back to selling Churros. I think that's one reason why it's so fun to walk around in the evening or in the morning before or after opening. Having the park to yourself allows you to be at one with the theme of each land. Perhaps even to silently role-play in the back of your mind.
Trying to make Main Street as much like a movie set as possible was one of our goals on Disneyland Paris. In a way, when I visit the park and walk through those façades I secretly wish that they would pay off like the sets of the movie, but I know that's not possible, and yes, I would like fries with that.

I think that a maneuver like this could help sales revenues park wide because the shops that exist will be unique, thematic and will contain merchandise exclusive to that location. When you make unique and special products, it makes them better.

On another note... Lets call Mel Brooks again and make a Spaceballs ride... MERCHANDISING... Spaceballs the movie, Spaceballs the t-shirts.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Eddie - how does your dream compare to reenactments?

Say... Colonial Williamsburg? Or culture/folk museums? I've been to ones where it's completely pure except the visitors themselves.

They don't seem to be packing in the millions like Disney. Maybe the subject matter is holding them back... But is retail really hurting it? I think back to quarks bar in the Star Trek experience. That was integrated well and worked.

So it leads me to the question... Which is the distraction? The retail itself, or the implementation?

And would a 'true citizen' experience of say.. Main Street be enough of a draw? Look at the nature trails at dak. Those could be seen as a 'pure' experience attempt... And many guests bypass it all together

It's quite possible that it wouldn't be enough of a draw, just having a period atmosphere in of itself. Going back to New Orleans Sq. for a moment, it was anchored by an incredible emotional experience just beneath its skin (Pirates) so those leaving that experience were motivated to want to participate in the environment and perhaps take something home with them. at night, the French market and the Blue Bayou are essentially the same experience, yet the Blue Bayou has its toes in the emotion of the Pirates of the Caribbean. It has been the more sought after dining experience. In the category of food, the theme is much less important and character can be virtually nonexistent except at breakfast. Back to the merchandise. The other thing that works against themed merchandise, (not character related) is the perception by the guest that they can buy the same among item elsewhere for less money and not carry it around. That is a strong argument. Who's going to buy a Liberty Square bedpan and carry it around on Splash Mountain? Having said that, the best way to fight that is scarcity or something truly personalized or unique. Antique shops properly named "One of a Kind" must truly be that, they must contain items that if you walk away and someone else picks it up you may never see it again. I purchased a scrapbook of celebrity photos gathered by a waitress from the Brown Derby Restaurant in Hollywood in 1942 complete with autographs. It wasn't terribly expensive and sold at Sid Cahuenga's boutique in the Disney MGM Studios. I knew if I walked away from it it would be gone,to this day, I never regretted buying it. To me it was incredibly special that I could take away a piece of real history from Hollywood out of the artificial environment. It made the studios that much more real to me. I guess the best way I could explain it is one of those scenes in a movie where the person spends the whole movie in a dream world and then when they wake up they find a coin in their pocket from that world. I'm really digressing now!

for some reason, the glassblowers and crystal shops seem to hang on and personalize things to you. I know the little watch making operation I was involved with lasted more than a decade until watches themselves became somewhat obsolete. So, I guess both the experience and the merchandise want to be special. You want to give people permission to buy items right on the spot because they know they can't find it at Target.

So the summary answer to the question is that there are a variety of reasons that Disney is more successful than these historic villages. Or rather, or if Disney can more closely mimic them. Historic merchandise does not sell as well as character merchandise. The square footage is so valuable to the company, they cannot afford to have a shelf that doesn't have merchandise that will turn over immediately. I think they can't afford not to. But that's just me. I yearn for the time that both Liberty Square and New Orleans Square had balance, they had a mixture of real antiques curated by someone with great taste, offset by more mainstream character merchandise taking its rightful place elsewhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom