Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
One tiny detail that reared it's head during our Paris visit happened while having an Ice Cream at the DLP Gibson Girl. It was revealed in a song that was playing, and although familiar (I chose the playlist) still could not place it. Finally, there was a piece of framed sheet music on the wall. "The Gibson Bathing Girl". THAT was it. We had bought the music as a decoration for the space and then on a whim, had it performed instrumentally. I don't think it's ever been discussed or mentioned. An Ice Cream Parlor with it's own theme song.
http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/inh...ail&fullItemID=/lilly/devincent/LL-SDV-254068

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
One thing that stands out about Disneyland Paris is the Fantasyland. The Dragon, Castle, Toad Hall, and more blew me away all over again. It still is truly spectacular. The insane but inspired detail, setting,and landscape design is still the best ever done. Tom Morris (the key creative behind Carsland BTW) was responsible for this stunning and huge area. DLP F'land is the same size as the entire guest area of the original Disney MGM Studios. Look at these images of a truly masterful effort.

http://www.photosmagiques.com/gallery/disneyland-park/fantasyland/

John

Mr Sotto. Not sure if has been asked ( probably has) if possible what one thing would you bring to either Dl or WDW from Paris be it either an attraction/resturant etc.

StageFrenzy

One thing that stands out about Disneyland Paris is the Fantasyland. The Dragon, Castle, Toad Hall, and more blew me away all over again. It still is truly spectacular. The insane but inspired detail, setting,and landscape design is still the best ever done. Tom Morris (the key creative behind Carsland BTW) was responsible for this stunning and huge area. DLP F'land is the same size as the entire guest area of the original Disney MGM Studios. Look at these images of a truly masterful effort.

http://www.photosmagiques.com/gallery/disneyland-park/fantasyland/

What are some of Tom's other projects, he seems to have a great ability to design projects that awe. They look like quality Disney design as well. Pieces that are unique and in both cases have a little fantasy to them.

In another post you mentioned DCA's new entrance, when i go to DCA for the first time it will probably will feel really wrong being a local of WDW, like a time and space warp. I feel like it's weird that they chose the same entrance since it always felt off at MGM/DHS, well that and I hate that shade of teal.

StageFrenzy

Screen shot 2012-06-20 at 5.37.37 PM.png by PermanentRecord

Hello fellow Uni-Watchers

Nothing to do with Disney par-say, but it's design and an intriguing concept. This picture is a fake throwback or Faux-back that they will be wearing on June 30th. It's what The Rays and manager Joe Maddon think they would have looked like in 1979. Only one thing, The Tampa Bay Devil Rays inaugural season was in 1998, and switched to the rays in 2008. Some people are wondering why they didn't use the Devil Rays name and other people have started making up fake histories to explain the switches in names. Like they were founded in the 60's as the Rays and switched in the 90's to Devil Rays because everyone wanted an edgier name. It's funny to me that people automatically made up some back story to the name switches and the feeling for nostalgia for late 70's baseball and baseball attire, it feels very Main street to me. It's the kinda thing Disney is known for on Main street and now the Buena Vista Street.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
What are some of Tom's other projects, he seems to have a great ability to design projects that awe. They look like quality Disney design as well. Pieces that are unique and in both cases have a little fantasy to them.

In another post you mentioned DCA's new entrance, when i go to DCA for the first time it will probably will feel really wrong being a local of WDW, like a time and space warp. I feel like it's weird that they chose the same entrance since it always felt off at MGM/DHS, well that and I hate that shade of teal.

Tom Morris has been with the company for like 40 years or something. He started with Disneyland as a teen selling balloons, being a ride operator, and then moved into Imagineering and worked on EPCOT drafting and helping with the design of the Dream Machine for Imagination Pavilion. He worked on Disney Quest as the design lead too. Tom has a great grasp of both design and operations. He oversaw the design of HKDL and DSP as well, so he is quite accomplished, certainly more than I. He did extensive work early on with Tony on Indiana Jones in the ride layout aspects.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member

Screen shot 2012-06-20 at 5.37.37 PM.png by PermanentRecord

Hello fellow Uni-Watchers

Nothing to do with Disney par-say, but it's design and an intriguing concept. This picture is a fake throwback or Faux-back that they will be wearing on June 30th. It's what The Rays and manager Joe Maddon think they would have looked like in 1979. Only one thing, The Tampa Bay Devil Rays inaugural season was in 1998, and switched to the rays in 2008. Some people are wondering why they didn't use the Devil Rays name and other people have started making up fake histories to explain the switches in names. Like they were founded in the 60's as the Rays and switched in the 90's to Devil Rays because everyone wanted an edgier name. It's funny to me that people automatically made up some back story to the name switches and the feeling for nostalgia for late 70's baseball and baseball attire, it feels very Main street to me. It's the kinda thing Disney is known for on Main street and now the Buena Vista Street.

As an Angel's Fan, there has been this wrestling with the the look of the team, from the all Red Disney version to the more retro version now. The name change to Los Angeles Angels (of Anaheim) goes back in the real history of the team as they were called that in 1961. So the story is there to milk. Was not aware of the manufactured backstory for the Rays by fans. Funny. But the "A Halo" logo is more 70's. I don't care if they wear polka dots (actually I do) as long as they win.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Mr Sotto. Not sure if has been asked ( probably has) if possible what one thing would you bring to either Dl or WDW from Paris be it either an attraction/resturant etc.

It has not been asked so we'll try and answer that. I tried (and failed) to bring the DLP Dragon (enhanced with speech, real fire and more of a dramatic show scene) to Disneyland as the finale to a revamped Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-thru. An anniversary enhancement. So I guess the Dragon would be my "one thing" or top import, as the Castle at DL has such a modest payoff for it's iconic status, and DLP's Dragon is still a real hit.

Maybe as alternates, put the Toad Hall Restaurant into WDW Fantasyland as the ride is gone. Nautilus Walk thru would be nice at DHS as a "movie set". Would love to see Arcades added to the Main Streets as it's awful to make guests walk through dirty backstage areas after parades to leave the park.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
If I had a dollar for every time I think this I would be a millionaire!
I know they have seriously discussed this internally over the years as far back as when I was there, and at least adding one side to Disneyland on the East. I heard this was pretty close to happening a number of times. DLP uses them now to help the guest exit flow after parades and they work really well for that. This solution has not happened as they are rather expensive to do as there are disruptive impacts. Arcades have the issue of separating the shop from it's stockroom, thusly isolating the retail stores from being easily restocked without crossing the guests. disneyland has no real second story and so most of it is stocked from the rear. DLP has the upstairs as a stock room in some cases and bridges over the arcades leading to backstage elevators so the CM's can cross and bring carts of additional product without crossing the guest area. Who knew that the bigger problem would be that not enough guests were interested in the product!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member

I'm not a teal fan either, but you may be interested to know that Bob Weis, the Imagineer who oversaw the design of Disney/MGM back in the Eighties, is the same gent responsible for the redo of DCA. So you are right to sense a "time warp" as there are many similarities/homages in this entry sequence to the feel of MGM. I think that's a good thing overall as compared to the previous entry, the feel is richer and more Disney. Hollywood Blvd. at MGM is a favorite of mine.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I just find it funny they even went with the service station in the same place, etc.

If anything.. standing there beyond the gate and seeing CCT should make people angry they can't do the same in DHS and see the theater anymore!

StageFrenzy

Tom Morris has been with the company for like 40 years or something. He started with Disneyland as a teen selling balloons, being a ride operator, and then moved into Imagineering and worked on EPCOT drafting and helping with the design of the Dream Machine for Imagination Pavilion. He worked on Disney Quest as the design lead too. Tom has a great grasp of both design and operations. He oversaw the design of HKDL and DSP as well, so he is quite accomplished, certainly more than I. He did extensive work early on with Tony on Indiana Jones in the ride layout aspects.

What a great portfolio, from a design standpoint Disney quest is a neat building and has some great showpieces. I love the entrance to DQ, the genie elevator ride, the opening show scenes, a very different decision to dump you on the 3rd floor of the building. It works though and I felt like i was transported to another world. Actually it kinda reminds me of the old Figment post show. Too bad video games age rather quickly and they have not seen fit to update it much sense 1998.

StageFrenzy

I'm not a teal fan either, but you may be interested to know that Bob Weis, the Imagineer who oversaw the design of Disney/MGM back in the Eighties, is the same gent responsible for the redo of DCA. So you are right to sense a "time warp" as there are many similarities/homages in this entry sequence to the feel of MGM. I think that's a good thing overall as compared to the previous entry, the feel is richer and more Disney. Hollywood Blvd. at MGM is a favorite of mine.

So can we call that color Bob Weiss teal? The architecture of that period is so classy and optimistic. I look forward to getting to DCA and taking in the sights. I would love for a redo of MGM with a larger CCT as the parks focal point and weenie. I wouldn't mind the new partners statue from DCA either, actually scratch that the smile on Walt's face creeps me out.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
What a great portfolio, from a design standpoint Disney quest is a neat building and has some great showpieces. I love the entrance to DQ, the genie elevator ride, the opening show scenes, a very different decision to dump you on the 3rd floor of the building. It works though and I felt like i was transported to another world. Actually it kinda reminds me of the old Figment post show. Too bad video games age rather quickly and they have not seen fit to update it much sense 1998.

I forgot to mention that Tom was also heavy into designing Imageworks post show for Tony on Imagination. I think that experience had a good effect on him as he understands how guests act.

StageFrenzy

I feel like you have hinted that the design process is Collaborative at WDI and that it's not just one man, one idea. But it seems that in Toms projects there is a common thread of magic and wonder and I want to assume that's his touch on the project. I don't know him personally so I don't know if that's correct or way off base.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I feel like you have hinted that the design process is Collaborative at WDI and that it's not just one man, one idea. But it seems that in Toms projects there is a common thread of magic and wonder and I want to assume that's his touch on the project. I don't know him personally so I don't know if that's correct or way off base.

The design process is certainly collaborative, but if you are the lead designer then you drive the design and the idea, and in some ways you give the project it's point of view or look. Some designers are more hands on (like me) and some project leaders don't design at all, in fact they are writers or producers. Tom is a designer and is good at working with others on a team, he always looks for what will be the "magic" ingredient in the project and tries to bring that out in the final design. We were discussing a ride recently and his comment was that it was great to look at but lacked magic.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

DisneyQuest...as big as it is, I think could have been a much more grand setup than was built. The attraction areas are a bit claustrophobic and as arcades are typically, the place is pretty dark. I wish I had like double the budget and make it really cool with the latest technology.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
DisneyQuest was designed to be in many cities, continually evolving the games, and that has not happened as it is a lone beachhead in the tourist turnover market of WDW. You can't justify developing product for just one location. Very innovative in it's day.

Pixiedustmaker

It has not been asked so we'll try and answer that. I tried (and failed) to bring the DLP Dragon (enhanced with speech, real fire and more of a dramatic show scene) to Disneyland as the finale to a revamped Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-thru. An anniversary enhancement. So I guess the Dragon would be my "one thing" or top import, as the Castle at DL has such a modest payoff for it's iconic status, and DLP's Dragon is still a real hit.

Maybe as alternates, put the Toad Hall Restaurant into WDW Fantasyland as the ride is gone. Nautilus Walk thru would be nice at DHS as a "movie set". Would love to see Arcades added to the Main Streets as it's awful to make guests walk through dirty backstage areas after parades to leave the park.

I remember eating at the Toad Hall Restaurant years ago at DLP, it is very nice, plus since I love the attraction, it has all sorts of nostalgia. Thanks for the links to pics, brought back some good memories!

Before I read this post I was going to bring up building a Mr. Toad restaurant and attraction in the Magic Kingdom. They took out the old Mr. Toad ride, but with the new movie, and obvious love of the attraction, I think an updated Toad attraction would last for decades, especially as an E-Ticket.

The ride entrance could be a large Toad Hall with one side for a restaurant/viewing area of part of the ride, as if you're looking out on London at night, and the other half the entrance/exit for the ride. They could build a longer, and slightly faster, Toad, without necessarily the cost of a test-track type system. I love how Radiator Springs Racers uses what looks like fake plants in the dark ride section, instead of flat plywood cut and painted to look like plants. (I haven't ridden it yet but have seen the YouTube videos). And RSR also seems to use a lighting system that makes the inside look like the country side basked in moonlight, without the use of UV-dark light. I love how this effect looks (no doubt some mix of blue light), and think it would be great for an indoor Toad ride. A large show building could add a lot of scenes and flesh them out more effectively.

There seems to be plenty of space behind MK's Pinocchio Haus, which is kinda dated looking, a Toad Hall restaurant at least would be great. Disneyland's Toad is done right, its fascade is actually based on the Toad Hall in the Storybook Land Canal Boats. It would look great in Fantasyland in MK, though would also fit in the United Kingdom part of World Showcase.

Regarding bringing DLP's dragon to Disneyland's castle, I would assume that this would involve building a grotto where they are putting in the princess meet and greet. It certainly would have plussed the walk-through.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom