Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

John

It's not been mentioned, and yes it is a great honor to get a window while you're alive to see it! I got some heat for that because some of the other land designers wanted their own window. I told them it used up too many and that we should share. Thought the joke played better as more of a "clinic" idea anyhow. I did the Dentist Voice and agonizing patient moans that play from the dentist office window ( laughter while drills run and teeth are pulled). The same effects play from another "Dr. Bitz office" in MSUSA DL although my name is not featured. Fun stuff.

You can hear it here, along with some other audio stuff I voiced on, like the Market House Phones and the Marceline Hotel.

http://www.themeparkaudioarchives.com/members/disneyland_main_street.html

On my next trip....I WILL have a picture of this window! Without getting all mushy, I truly enjoy all of your insights and history of the parks you share with us Mr Sotto. It isnt often we can have casual conversations with a imagineer as accomplished as you. Thank you very much.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
On my next trip....I WILL have a picture of this window! Without getting all mushy, I truly enjoy all of your insights and history of the parks you share with us Mr Sotto. It isnt often we can have casual conversations with a imagineer as accomplished as you. Thank you very much.

You are all more than welcome. When I was a kid, I wished more than anything to meet or even chat with an Imagineer, but there was no way to do so. No Internet or anything and I was too young to drive. Disney had few books other than souvenir variety to read on the subject. When I finally did make it in I felt that I wanted to be accessable to those who did not get in but aspired to be Imagineers. Time only allows so much of this but I know if I was a teen I'd loved to have been able to go online and chat with someone who had been there. So thanks for being part of it!

John

Mr Sotto, I am sure somewhere you might have mentioned it, but could you take me thru the steps ( your journey) that you took to get to the point you were a major contributor in the design of many of the parks. And do you think that someone could ever reach that level of contribution again?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Mr Sotto, I am sure somewhere you might have mentioned it, but could you take me thru the steps ( your journey) that you took to get to the point you were a major contributor in the design of many of the parks. And do you think that someone could ever reach that level of contribution again?

It has been discussed in parts, but here is my wikipedia page which gives you a dry, but pretty accurate career cronology. Hope that is helpful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Sotto

There have been many that have far surpassed my level of contribution and continue to do so. I was only there 13 years. I left the company to chase other things, leaving a few big ones unfinsihed. So yes, you can easily beat my record and it has been done.:animwink:

HMF

It has been discussed in parts, but here is my wikipedia page which gives you a dry, but pretty accurate career cronology. Hope that is helpful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Sotto

There have been many that have far surpassed my level of contribution and continue to do so. I was only there 13 years. I left the company to chase other things, leaving a few big ones unfinsihed. So yes, you can easily beat my record and it has been done.:animwink:

I hate to ask but did you write your own wikipedia article? On an un-related note, with the Main Street audio I see you like playing incompetent characters.

John

Mr Sotto, I read the Wiki piece and noted the work you did on a Six Flags project outside of Baltimore. Could you expand on this project for me? I think that although the park is in Maryland it is actually closer to Washinton DC. I didnt realize I had a piece of Sotto so close, as I live east of Baltimore.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Mr Sotto, I read the Wiki piece and noted the work you did on a Six Flags project outside of Baltimore. Could you expand on this project for me? I think that although the park is in Maryland it is actually closer to Washinton DC. I didnt realize I had a piece of Sotto so close, as I live east of Baltimore.

It was a failed project called the "The Power Plant" on the Inner Harbor of Baltimore back in the 1980's. A victorian themed Entertainment Center with a Vernian theme. It became the ESPN Zone in later years.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I hate to ask but did you write your own wikipedia article? On an un-related note, with the Main Street audio I see you like playing incompetent characters.

No, but it reads like I did, as most of it is culled from online interviews and stuff like that. I loved doing the Main Street characters and yes, you want them to be exaggerated as you can't see them.

John

It was a failed project called the "The Power Plant" on the Inner Harbor of Baltimore back in the 1980's. A victorian themed Entertainment Center with a Vernian theme. It became the ESPN Zone in later years.

Ahhhhhh Yes, the Power Plant.Visited it many times. I forgot that it was a Six Flags venture. As you may know all but a few of the ESPN Zones are also closed. The building which housed the Power Plant/ESPN Zone still houses a Hard Rock Cafe and the ESPN Zone is now a Seafood resturant.

Looking back I now could see the themeing of that building be something that would come from a imagineer. Lets face it Baltimore isnt as metropolitan as a lot of other cities. It was a tough sell to the locals from the very beginning.
What I remember Six Flags had a tough time finding other tenants to lease space. Hmmmm sounds familiar.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Ahhhhhh Yes, the Power Plant.Visited it many times. I forgot that it was a Six Flags venture. As you may know all but a few of the ESPN Zones are also closed. The building which housed the Power Plant/ESPN Zone still houses a Hard Rock Cafe and the ESPN Zone is now a Seafood resturant.

Looking back I now could see the themeing of that building be something that would come from a imagineer. Lets face it Baltimore isnt as metropolitan as a lot of other cities. It was a tough sell to the locals from the very beginning.
What I remember Six Flags had a tough time finding other tenants to lease space. Hmmmm sounds familiar.

It was basically 4 shows plus food an merchandise all based on a fictional professor, P.T Flagg, who invented everything prior to Edison. You explored his "Laboratory of Scientific Wonders" (my show), "The Sensorium" a 3D movie with smells, "The Magic Lantern Theater" An AA musical show, and "The Circus of the Mysterious"- A dark carnival of side shows. Low budget but high production value. The Jules Verne look caught Tony Baxter's eye and pretty much landed me a job at WED.

The company I worked for at the time, Landmark Entertainment, hired both Disney legends Marc Davis and Herb Ryman to work on the project. This is where I first met them. These two sites have images and more info on the models and art.

http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/Forums/index.php?showtopic=1395

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/04/when-wdi-legendary-imagineers-designed.html

flynnibus

Premium Member
I remember when it opened to much fan fare... unfortunately I don't think we ever paid to go in (even tho my family is all from Baltimore). Unfairly I've only ever been inside in the later ESPN incarnation :/

The inner harbor continues to be up and down in their ability to support unique experiences beyond shopping/dining/clubs.

Our friend who has been fighting to get his Pinball Museum up and going has just relocated his project to the area.

flynnibus

Premium Member
To me this is could be the new WED. I'd go work there for a year. If I were you guys, this is one place where real innovation is happening. It seems like they have the youth and will to greenlight big ideas.

http://www.techspot.com/news/46249-secret-google-x-lab-reimagines-our-future.html

Unfortunately Google is renowned for their engineering over creativity though. They aim to be the uber-geek instead of the creative genius. They lack the 'flair'. While they develop great products.. they don't seem to invoke emotion or for the product. Just practicality.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Unfortunately Google is renowned for their engineering over creativity though. They aim to be the uber-geek instead of the creative genius. They lack the 'flair'. While they develop great products.. they don't seem to invoke emotion or for the product. Just practicality.

That's exactly why I'd want to be there. Unlike apple there is a need to fill if they are smart enough to recognize it. Emotion is where the margins are! I agree on your take on their culture.

(I'd probably be miserable)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Executive Armwaving.

Today Al Lutz says this about the brass touring the enhancements to DCA.

EDITOR’S NOTE 4/11: The Intolerance elephants and the Taste Pilots Grill plane were removed yesterday. The elephants were long planned for removal, but the plane rehab was a late request from John Lasseter who gave Bob Iger a list of things to approve during Iger's latest Anaheim visit last month. Not wanting to let Lasseter have all the glory, Iger demanded that the big oak tree in front of the Practical Cafe be moved over 15 feet, at considerable expense. Lasseter returns this Friday to check on his list of fixes for DCA, and the revolving Condor Flats marquee is now in his gunsights to be rethemed. After spending 1.2 Billion to fix DCA, these last 60 days of construction will be a whirlwind of extra free money from the Burbank brass. Anaheim hasn't had it this good since Walt was here! - Al Lutz

This reminds me of when Michael Eisner toured DLP just prior to completion. He decided that he did not like a giant Exit Stair emerging from Videopolis in Discoveryland and had it removed and redesigned at about (as I recall) $100k or so. I think it was a good move, but it shows how Exec's get in on the "finishing touches" themselves. Even 20 years ago. Iger's moving of a tree is not unprecedented, in fact, it's comparatively modest.

COProgressFan

Today Al Lutz says this about the brass touring the enhancements to DCA.

EDITOR’S NOTE 4/11: The Intolerance elephants and the Taste Pilots Grill plane were removed yesterday. The elephants were long planned for removal, but the plane rehab was a late request from John Lasseter who gave Bob Iger a list of things to approve during Iger's latest Anaheim visit last month. Not wanting to let Lasseter have all the glory, Iger demanded that the big oak tree in front of the Practical Cafe be moved over 15 feet, at considerable expense. Lasseter returns this Friday to check on his list of fixes for DCA, and the revolving Condor Flats marquee is now in his gunsights to be rethemed. After spending 1.2 Billion to fix DCA, these last 60 days of construction will be a whirlwind of extra free money from the Burbank brass. Anaheim hasn't had it this good since Walt was here! - Al Lutz

This reminds me of when Michael Eisner toured DLP just prior to completion. He decided that he did not like a giant Exit Stair emerging from Videopolis in Discoveryland and had it removed and redesigned at about (as I recall) $100k or so. I think it was a good move, but it shows how Exec's get in on the "finishing touches" themselves. Even 20 years ago. Iger's moving of a tree is not unprecedented, in fact, it's comparatively modest.

Interestingly, however, it seems Iger and other execs seem to have very little interest in making these little fixes in Florida. Its amazing to me how they are trying to focus on every little detail in making DCA seem like a new park (Lutz referring to it as "project sparkle") when there are so many glaring maintenance issues at WDW that they seem to be consciously overlooking.

Do you think it's just a case of distance (with Burbank being so close to DL)? Or do they have more pride about product in SoCal because of its more demanding population? (Failure of the original DCA being embarassing to him in the entertainment capital of the world and a desire to finally get it right). I just can't see Iger even caring that much about small design issues in Florida (when he doesn't even seem to care about the bigger issues) so it's interesting to see out at DL.

In some ways, as a designer, I'm sure it's exciting to see the higher ups actually excited about a project, even it means small disagreements about the design. And conversely, I would imagine it would pain you to see your great designs left uncared for (as in the current WDW, and to some degree DLP).

flynnibus

Premium Member
Do you see it as them insisting on 'leaving their own touches' - or honest critique with the power to push it through regardless of cost?

I guess it depends if you believe in the creative soundness of their change.

Just curious if people are really critical of the motives behind such changes as ego moves (as sensational Al would always lead you to believe) or are they seen as honest critiques that because of their position still have the power to push through what others may not have been able to.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Do you see it as them insisting on 'leaving their own touches' - or honest critique with the power to push it through regardless of cost?

I guess it depends if you believe in the creative soundness of their change.

Just curious if people are really critical of the motives behind such changes as ego moves (as sensational Al would always lead you to believe) or are they seen as honest critiques that because of their position still have the power to push through what others may not have been able to.

Maybe they feel the need to do "something" and have an opinion, there is probably a certain amount of leaving their "fingerprints" (bigger decisions like building the project at all, more hotels, etc. are far bigger examples of shaping the project and "leaving their mark"). To me, moving a stairway is hardly leaving a legacy so that probably was the area not turning out how they imagined it would and in that realization made changes.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Interestingly, however, it seems Iger and other execs seem to have very little interest in making these little fixes in Florida. Its amazing to me how they are trying to focus on every little detail in making DCA seem like a new park (Lutz referring to it as "project sparkle") when there are so many glaring maintenance issues at WDW that they seem to be consciously overlooking.

Do you think it's just a case of distance (with Burbank being so close to DL)? Or do they have more pride about product in SoCal because of its more demanding population? (Failure of the original DCA being embarassing to him in the entertainment capital of the world and a desire to finally get it right). I just can't see Iger even caring that much about small design issues in Florida (when he doesn't even seem to care about the bigger issues) so it's interesting to see out at DL.

In some ways, as a designer, I'm sure it's exciting to see the higher ups actually excited about a project, even it means small disagreements about the design. And conversely, I would imagine it would pain you to see your great designs left uncared for (as in the current WDW, and to some degree DLP).

DCA has authorship associated and is newer and to your point, closer to them. When it comes to maintenance, thats a budget line item that is signed and they don't really see those items unless on a tour and it's pointed out. JL is likely the biggest proponent of getting things fixed at that level.

jt04

Hey Eddie, I was writing in another thread and a thought occured to me. I know you visited WDW when you were young. Likely even before Eisner. Just wondering if you ever discussed with him the details of where he was taking the resort and if there were other possibilities on the table. I know that if you had your way the resort would have been developed very differently. Any light you can shed would be fascinating. Especially any 'inside baseball' trivia you might have. And perhaps more details of how you would have developed the resort. I am sure many here would want to know as much as you can tell us about WDW from your earliest time with the company and even before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom