Easter 2013 park phase closings

FabulousFigment

I just read that BB reopened and extended hours for tonight to compensate. I have never heard of them extending hours before. Sounds rather generous of them?!

disneyfan1995

I visited all 4 parks this past Saturday (3/30) and managed to do almost everything I wanted to do. The crowds were big but definitely not as huge as I was expecting. The worst park was probably Hollywood Studios (Tower or Terror at one point had a 150 minute wait). Magic Kingdom was crowed too but I was able to hop on some of the classics around dinner time. Splash did go down twice within a 4 hour period though.

momof1princess

Yesterday was fine, got busy (or what we thought was busy) for a while in the afternoon. We hit MK early and stayed through fireworks. Did a lot of rides, i'll have to count the actual number later. Today we had a 9:00 breakfast at Chef Mickey's and didn't get to MK until 10:30. It was wall to wall. Made any crowd Monday look like nothing. By about 2:00, we couldn't move. We stuck it out until 7:00 and headed to the bus. I think the rest if the week may be rough, but that part of our vacation is done anyway.

erstwo

Yesterday was fine, got busy (or what we thought was busy) for a while in the afternoon. We hit MK early and stayed through fireworks. Did a lot of rides, i'll have to count the actual number later. Today we had a 9:00 breakfast at Chef Mickey's and didn't get to MK until 10:30. It was wall to wall. Made any crowd Monday look like nothing. By about 2:00, we couldn't move. We stuck it out until 7:00 and headed to the bus. I think the rest if the week may be rough, but that part of our vacation is done anyway.

I *think* it will actually get better! Maybe that's Pollyanna of me :) but my memory was always 'the Monday after Easter was the worst!' It's the day that my 'couldn't even walk from Jungle Cruise to Magic Carpets' comes from. My memory of Easter Day in Epcot was that it was manageable, the Monday after at MK? Insane. We stayed until Thursday, and I remember Tuesday and Wednesday being much better.

BoarderPhreak

I survived Spring Break 2013! w00t

Wasn't quite as bad as I had expected, but there were some crazy days - mostly at MK. EC had its share at times too, mostly lunchtime around WS. Evenings saw the usual clear out, but later at night especially near closing was awesome at MK. Closed out the park a couple of times at 3am and once at 1am. :)

Next trip - during a QUIET time.

FabulousFigment

I survived Spring Break 2013! w00t

Wasn't quite as bad as I had expected, but there were some crazy days - mostly at MK. EC had its share at times too, mostly lunchtime around WS. Evenings saw the usual clear out, but later at night especially near closing was awesome at MK. Closed out the park a couple of times at 3am and once at 1am. :)

Next trip - during a QUIET time.
Ugh, when you find one, please let me know! We went during what I know to be a "Quiet" time (early-mid January) and we were completely trampled on multiple occasions by tourgroups-who-shall-remain-nameless.

BoarderPhreak

Ugh, when you find one, please let me know! We went during what I know to be a "Quiet" time (early-mid January) and we were completely trampled on multiple occasions by tourgroups-who-shall-remain-nameless.
Eeek! Yeah, there are those - and the later cheerleading invasion...

I like just before/after peak periods. After most people have gone. There are a few, but even those are getting a bit popular.

FabulousFigment

Eeek! Yeah, there are those - and the later cheerleading invasion...

I like just before/after peak periods. After most people have gone. There are a few, but even those are getting a bit popular.
This!! We planned this as part of my kids Christmas Gift. Through my profession, I can get a great gauge of the parks and supposedly, they were going to be much less crazy then usual. Let's just say that for the most part, I felt like a minority in the parks. It is not a time that people from *our* country inundate the parks, but I was told it was Brazil's summer break.

Oh the shenanigans! Someone actually fell and landed in my stroller-so lucky I was carrying my son. NEVER again for that time period.

BoarderPhreak

This!! We planned this as part of my kids Christmas Gift. Through my profession, I can get a great gauge of the parks and supposedly, they were going to be much less crazy then usual. Let's just say that for the most part, I felt like a minority in the parks. It is not a time that people from *our* country inundate the parks, but I was told it was Brazil's summer break.

Oh the shenanigans! Someone actually fell and landed in my stroller-so lucky I was carrying my son. NEVER again for that time period.
Wow, that's pretty bad! Glad things weren't worse. :eek:

That's so true, and a good point - you need to be mindful of not only OUR holidays... But those globally. Besides last week, my last trip was in late November/early December last year - traditionally one of those fabled "quiet times." It was, especially after experiencing SB13... But even then, it was decently busy.

Disney needs to build out DL on the west coast or something in Texas maybe... Absorb some of the crowds! :p

NEL

I was also there from Thurs 3/28 to Easter 3/31. I was expecting the worse but was pleasantly surprised. It was very manageable. We pretty much arrived at park opening and it was slow through almost noon. Then we had lunch and took it slow as well. Then did whatever was left in the evening and saw the fireworks. I did get the Fantasmic package and the tommorand firework desert party to avoid the craziness for those shows. But we did pretty much everything we wanted and more. If you arrive at park opening you were able to do most everything by noon. You just had to tour smartly and take it easy or even leave the park during the afternoon. We were so plesently surprised that we might go again next year for Easter.

PhotoDave219

I was there yesterday for 1 hour, 8-9pm. Giant mistake.

Then I fled. Main Street was its typical disaster. The backstage route was open. Main Street Ops still cant manage to keep people moving in front of the Town Square Theatre in the middle of a parade.

The rest of the park was fairly tolerable to just walk around in. Jungle was 75, POTC 20. No wait for Ice Cream in fantasyland.

It felt like a typical summer evening crowd wise. It was not enjoyable.

71jason

Not to sound like a shill for the various plan-selling websites out there, but it really is more how you go than when you go. There is no true off-season anymore, just times that aren't as crazy as Christmas/Spring Break/Fourth of July. But if you avoid the parks most everyone else is headed to, and have an approach that isn't "ride the first thing we see," you can generally do alright outside of those peak times.

BoarderPhreak

Not to sound like a shill for the various plan-selling websites out there, but it really is more how you go than when you go. There is no true off-season anymore, just times that aren't as crazy as Christmas/Spring Break/Fourth of July. But if you avoid the parks most everyone else is headed to, and have an approach that isn't "ride the first thing we see," you can generally do alright outside of those peak times.
Oh, definitely. You have to be smart about which park (and which day), the way you go into the parks (e.g. start at the back), etc. If you do get into a bind, just hit the popular stuff late (or even towards closing, especially w/EMH).

Even though spring break was crazy crowded, we still got to see everything we wanted to and avoided most of the crowds!

WDW1974

Okay folks, looks like TODAY is a great day at the kingdom. Apparently projection is insanely low, with Less than 20k in MK right now.

Today is the absolute last day of Spring Break for anyone anywhere really ... saw all the Europeans and South Americans at my local outlet malls spending insanely Friday before they went home.

I would guess that crowds will now go back to normal off-season levels with basically EPCOT and MK crowded moderately on weekends and the parks generally being light during the weeks for the rest of the month and most of next month before summer 'holiday' crowds start picking up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom