News Early Theme Park Entry and Extended Evening Hours coming for resort guests

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
This is what happened with FP+. They technically allowed you to book additional reservations once your advance 3 were done but there was nothing left worth booking.

Once again, this was absolutely not my experience, at least at MK - we regularly scored Space, Splash, Pirates, HM, and others late into the afternoon and evening. And that was without the re-riding restrictions.

That is something I really do not understand about G+ and its capacity - they have cut off re-rides, yet inventory is still abysmal.

I dunno - maybe those of us who used to get 7-10 FP+ and re-rode attractions were the outliers.

Jrb1979

Once again, this was absolutely not my experience, at least at MK - we regularly scored Space, Splash, Pirates, HM, and others late into the afternoon and evening. And that was without the re-riding restrictions.

That is something I really do not understand about G+ and its capacity - they have cut off re-rides, yet inventory is still abysmal.

I dunno - maybe those of us who used to get 7-10 FP+ and re-rode attractions were the outliers.
I do wonder if it has to do with them not giving out as many LL per day. Also when you take away 1 top attraction per park that cuts inventory down a lot. IMO now that people are paying for it, people will now opt for an LL for some attractions they never would have before just to try to get monies worth.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is what happened with FP+. They technically allowed you to book additional reservations once your advance 3 were done but there was nothing left worth booking. There simply is not enough capacity a lot of days for people to get in more than 3 reservations.

I agree that the resort guests probably make up half or less of total park guests. I think offering an advantage to resort guests is a good way to encourage people to stay on property which maximizes profit for Disney. It would make a lot of sense for them to offer advance bookings based on accommodation level. Disney has been reluctant to do that outside of EMHs in the past, but who knows what they are thinking this time.
There have been tales for 10 years about “so many extra fastpasses” being used with plus…

However that was not the rule…very much the exception.

Generally speaking after your prebooks…there was little of value to get conveniently

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I never had much luck with additional reservations so it probably is luck of the draw. From most observations I have read it seems for all but low crowd times the extra reservations available later in the day were rides that really didn’t need FP. If PoTC has a 10 min standby wait and I can get a fast pass for it does it really matter?

StarshipDisney

FASTPASS + fans assume they killed it because they were greedy. For once that’s not the only reason…it did not work. The system was clogged and there was no way around that.

Well, it sure always worked great for us on each and every trip we used FP+. It was far, far better than this proverbial daily cluster that is known as Genie+! All you do is spend your day with a phone in your face.

LittleBuford

I never had much luck with additional reservations so it probably is luck of the draw. From most observations I have read it seems for all but low crowd times the extra reservations available later in the day were rides that really didn’t need FP. If PoTC has a 10 min standby wait and I can get a fast pass for it does it really matter?
It sometimes required a bit of perseverance—a minute or two of refreshing while in a line, for example—but I always did very well out of FP+ after getting through my three preselections, including on high-crowd days.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It sometimes required a bit of perseverance—a minute or two of refreshing while in a line, for example—but I always did very well out of FP+ after getting through my three preselections, including on high-crowd days.
I think it was hit or miss, but the overall point I was making is the system at least worked to get you 3 advanced reservations at a minimum, anything more is just gravy. I think they could go back to 3 advanced reservations except now it would cost money so not everyone would be using it. Should work even better than FP+.

bcoachable

So, possibly now that Disney has found out a new revenue stream in selling the fast passes, that may lead to the fleshing out the parks with more rides worthy of purchasing LL or Genie + for… I think this is our best bet for parks that get finished. Peeps are figuring out that MK and HS are the only parks worth having Genie+ for, and skip purchasing it for the other parks.

Jrb1979

So, possibly now that Disney has found out a new revenue stream in selling the fast passes, that may lead to the fleshing out the parks with more rides worthy of purchasing LL or Genie + for… I think this is our best bet for parks that get finished. Peeps are figuring out that MK and HS are the only parks worth having Genie+ for, and skip purchasing it for the other parks.
That's not in Igers playbook.

Jrb1979

I think it was hit or miss, but the overall point I was making is the system at least worked to get you 3 advanced reservations at a minimum, anything more is just gravy. I think they could go back to 3 advanced reservations except now it would cost money so not everyone would be using it. Should work even better than FP+.
Another perspective people also forget is for those here that loved planning out their day, there is just as many that don't want to. One of the biggest complaints about visiting Disney is the amount of planning required.

doctornick

I think group size plays a big role too. If you are 1 or 2 people looking, getting those additional FP for valuable rides would be a lot easier. We usually travel in a group of 5-8 people and it was tough to generally find something good for additional FP for the entire group. We also tend to go when school is not in session (holidays, summer) so that probably does not help.

pdude81

Yes, outliers. Because most people didn't know you could do that and they were incentivized to plan their trips to the minute months in advance. I did much of the same back in the day, but it was not common among guests to be on their phone constantly refreshing. Now it's common practice.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Yes, outliers. Because most people didn't know you could do that and they were incentivized to plan their trips to the minute months in advance. I did much of the same back in the day, but it was not common among guests to be on their phone constantly refreshing. Now it's common practice.
I guess you're right, and that's probably why, of all of the complaints about G+ that I and others have, the "constantly being on your phone" never resonated with me, because I had already been doing that to some extent (and before anyone gets in my grill - you did not then and do not now have to CONSTANTLY be on your phone - just right after you tap in so you make your next one, or if you're in line looking to modify).

ere was something satisfying about flipping an FP+ for Space at 4 into one at 2, tapping in, and getting that 4PM right back.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Another perspective people also forget is for those here that loved planning out their day, there is just as many that don't want to. One of the biggest complaints about visiting Disney is the amount of planning required.
It’s not really much better with genie+. instead of planning 2 months ahead you are planning starting at 7am each day and while you are trying to enjoy your vacation looking to book stuff on your phone all day.

Express Pass at Universal truly allows no planning and full flexibility but it’s so limited most guests don’t get to experience that. The only way Disney could possibly replicate that experience would be a true front of the line system but charge a really high premium for the service or go to full pay per ride lightning lane for all rides with FP. Then if you are willing to pay enough you get unlimited front of line with no waits. The issue of course is 80-90% of park visitors would be excluded.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I like the early park entry but why do parks now open at different times. I’ve been at the bus stop at 6:30am for a 7:30am AK opening and booking my first G+ while on a bus

Open all parks at 9 open to resort guests at 830. This also enables guests to eat breakfast at their resort too which I think they would want people to do

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
You know what? Cheap admission with ticket book purchases at kiosks around the park would be the most fun. Old school baby. Plus, very straightforward. You can choose to pay for Rise of the Resistance maintenance or just chill, eat tater tots and watch the world go by. Imagine how much less stressful that would make the vacation. You get up with a terrible head cold and don't know if you even want to go to EPCOT. The rest of the family goes and decides how much they want to do/spend. Even if you don't get the day refunded, your out 30 bucks or something. Not a big deal. Or you go and wander around WS all day while your teenage kids drop 150 each on ticket books. I would hazard that it would reduce stress, reduce lines, increase fun, reduce advance planning. Plus, Disney would make money because people would by new books just to keep every time ticket designs changed. I have two old ticket books somewhere. Look, I'm a loopy old man at work just praying that the kidney stone won't drop into the super pain channel until tomorrow, but right now, I really like the sound of this.

Also, you know how much the crew that doesn't care much much about E tickets or new rides but loves the ambience of the various locales of WDW would spend if on food and souvenirs with this system? It would also alleviate the need of assigning a grandkid to each grandparent for Disney app phone management every time I organized a family reunion. Anyway, back to work.

pdude81

You know what? Cheap admission with ticket book purchases at kiosks around the park would be the most fun. Old school baby. Plus, very straightforward. You can choose to pay for Rise of the Resistance maintenance or just chill, eat tater tots and watch the world go by. Imagine how much less stressful that would make the vacation. You get up with a terrible head cold and don't know if you even want to go to EPCOT. The rest of the family goes and decides how much they want to do/spend. Even if you don't get the day refunded, your out 30 bucks or something. Not a big deal. Or you go and wander around WS all day while your teenage kids drop 150 each on ticket books. I would hazard that it would reduce stress, reduce lines, increase fun, reduce advance planning. Plus, Disney would make money because people would by new books just to keep every time ticket designs changed. I have two old ticket books somewhere. Look, I'm a loopy old man at work just praying that the kidney stone won't drop into the super pain channel until tomorrow, but right now, I really like the sound of this.

Also, you know how much the crew that doesn't care much much about E tickets or new rides but loves the ambience of the various locales of WDW would spend if on food and souvenirs with this system? It would also alleviate the need of assigning a grandkid to each grandparent for Disney app phone management every time I organized a family reunion. Anyway, back to work.
I believe that collecting paper tickets from every person would cost more overall for families, as well as leading to waste and additional frustration by guests. Paper fastpasses were only ever a portion of guests in certain queues and required staff to check/collect tickets. And that was at a time when attendance was quite a bit lower.

This isn't an opinion on whether the experience would be better for the consumer or not.... just that it would cost more in materials and staff to implement.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
In an update to the Walt Disney World website, Disney now indicates Early Theme Park Entry for the resorts listed below is through December 31, 2023. Disney has said recently that Early Theme Park Entry will continue through 2024.

Now through December 31, 2023, the following hotels offer early theme park entry for registered Guests:
  • Shades of Green® on Walt Disney World® Resort*
  • B Resort & Spa Lake Buena Vista
  • Wyndham Garden Lake Buena Vista
  • Wyndham Lake Buena Vista
  • Signia by Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek
  • Waldorf Astoria Orlando
  • Drury Plaza Hotel Orlando Lake Buena Vista

*Edited to add - appears moving Shades of Green to that list was an error and Disney has moved it back, along with this note - “Please check back later for further details regarding 2024.”

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom