D'Vine voices debut at Epcot

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I`ll give it a shot on Monday. At least they have that rareity that is a live band with them too. Better or for worse I hope they are given merit if due for what they are doing, not based on what PR reakon they replaced.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I`ll give it a shot on Monday. At least they have that rareity that is a live band with them too. Better or for worse I hope they are given merit if due for what they are doing, not based on what PR reakon they replaced.

Yep very valid point. LoW should not be brought into this, that is a whole separate issue.

Have a great trip!

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member

Exactly, based on the video they are a talented group and shouldn't be looked at any other way. Its very sad that the lights of winter are gone, but we certainly shouldn't blame D'Vine voices for that.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I'll be there next week and I will try and see one of their shows. I try to give everything at least one shot to try and win me over. :shrug:

captain marvel1

watching the video i give it a 7.5 of a review. not enough christmas songs for my liking. it came of as to preachy dont get me wrong i love church but i dont think that was a key venue and a right time for it.

jonnyc

Thanks for the update!

They sound good, Gospel is very pleasing on the ear, even if my exposure to Gospel (Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit) is quite limited :lol:.

hpyhnt 1000

watching the video i give it a 7.5 of a review. not enough christmas songs for my liking. it came of as to preachy dont get me wrong i love church but i dont think that was a key venue and a right time for it.

I agree with this. The singers really put their heart and soul into it, I'll give them that, but to me, it was more like being at chruch. Then again, it is a Gospel group so the preachy kind of performances should be kind of expected?

Just not for me I guess. :shrug:

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not saying the show was bad or anything, and there are people that will enjoy hearing this group perform; its just the performance they gave isn't what I go to a theme park for.

captain marvel1

i tried to give them a decent review. just some decent constructive critism. so they can improve on the years to come. like to see them back but with different material.

Main Street USA

Well, I very badly wanted this show to be good. But, while they're OK as a group, this style of music only appeals to maybe half (at best) of the general public.

I, for one, am disappointed in the video. I'd much rather walk to the other side of World Showcase and watch the Voices of Liberty sing Christmas songs. Compared to VoL, these people are very, VERY average.

hpyhnt 1000

i tried to give them a decent review. just some decent constructive critism. so they can improve on the years to come. like to see them back but with different material.

I don't know if you were referring to my post, but please know I didn't mean anything against your post. In fact, I agree; I'd be curious what this group would be like if they performed different material.

s8film40

Wow that is horrible. Weather you compare it to LoW or not it is just plain bad. Now I'm not saying there not talented it's just not the right type of performance. I have to agree with Main Street USA if you like that type of music you would probably like it, but I don't like that type of music. This doesn't fit Epcot at all and really this stuff isn't meant for anything but a church.

Exprcoofto

Well, I very badly wanted this show to be good. But, while they're OK as a group, this style of music only appeals to maybe half (at best) of the general public.

I, for one, am disappointed in the video. I'd much rather walk to the other side of World Showcase and watch the Voices of Liberty sing Christmas songs. Compared to VoL, these people are very, VERY average.

Agreed, I didn't like them when I saw them today. As far as I can tell, this is the only new entertainment, so the money from LoW went only to this? Bleh. They removes entertainment to add entertainment, with less quality. I'm not impressed.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Epcot is about getting exposure to some new things, and mixing it up a little. I'm certainly not a gospel fan, but from the video, I think it looks a good show, and the performers have some great talent. Good to see an alternative to Voices of Liberty.

I'm judging them as a vocal group, and not as a replacement for LoW.

s8film40

Epcot is about getting exposure to some new things, and mixing it up a little.

I'm not sure I would call this a new thing, Sister Act came out a long time ago and really it's gotten kind of old. To me Epcot specifically Future World is about a dramatic bold vision of the future and seeing technology that is ahead of it's time. A large high tech light display (not necessarily LoW) is far more fitting for future world.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm not sure I would call this a new thing, Sister Act came out a long time ago and really it's gotten kind of old. To me Epcot specifically Future World is about a dramatic bold vision of the future and seeing technology that is ahead of it's time. A large high tech light display (not necessarily LoW) is far more fitting for future world.

I'm referring to it being new to Epcot, obviously not new to mankind as a whole. I also pointed out several times I'm not comparing this new group to LoW (or a replacement) - not at all fair to them.

hpyhnt 1000

Epcot is about getting exposure to some new things, and mixing it up a little. I'm certainly not a gospel fan, but from the video, I think it looks a good show, and the performers have some great talent. Good to see an alternative to Voices of Liberty.

I'm judging them as a vocal group, and not as a replacement for LoW.

As am I, and I have made the judgement that I did not like their performance. They have talent, yes, but I found their song selection and style far from entertaining. Some people will like them; however, I will most definitely be skipping their performances.

Nothing against them; I just didn't care for their performance. :shrug: :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom