D'Vine voices debut at Epcot

jt04

Bravo! The show looks and sounds great. Too bad for some here that they can't appreciate the talent exhibited on stage because they are caught up in the LoW elimination.

Anyway, I hope shows like this continue to be part of WDW's future. I found it fun and inspirational.

There is just something special about Gospel music. :)

s8film40

I'm referring to it being new to Epcot, obviously not new to mankind as a whole. I also pointed out several times I'm not comparing this new group to LoW (or a replacement) - not at all fair to them.

I wasn't comparing it to LoW, I was pointing out how it doesn't really fit the theme and style of the area. I do think it's fair though to compare it to LoW, maybe not fair to the individual performers though it's not their fault. Disney specifically cited this new entertainment when announcing the discontinuation of LoW. Disney is the one that set the bar on the level of quality of holiday entertainment in that specific area. Now with that said for me I don't have to compare it to anything else at all to find this utterly repulsive. I would avoid watching a show like this weather it be Epcot, Magic Kingdom, or Six Flags.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Wow that is horrible. Weather you compare it to LoW or not it is just plain bad. Now I'm not saying there not talented it's just not the right type of performance. I have to agree with Main Street USA if you like that type of music you would probably like it, but I don't like that type of music. This doesn't fit Epcot at all and really this stuff isn't meant for anything but a church.

I find it funny that this new group is being referred to as preachy and not right for Epcot, yet The general consensus is that the CandleLight Processional is the greatest thing since sliced bread. :lol:

s8film40

I find it funny that this new group is being referred to as preachy and not right for Epcot, yet The general consensus is that the CandleLight Processional is the greatest thing since sliced bread. :lol:

Yes I agree with you, while I'm not a big fan of Candlelight it does at least have a more classic approach, they read the story and sing traditional christmas songs. It is a religious holiday after all. The style of this show seem to me to be a lot closer to what you would find in some churches on a more routine basis not just during the holidays.

hpyhnt 1000

Yes I agree with you, while I'm not a big fan of Candlelight it does at least have a more classic approach, they read the story and sing traditional christmas songs. It is a religious holiday after all. The style of this show seem to me to be a lot closer to what you would find in some churches on a more routine basis not just during the holidays.

Exactly. It is CHRISTMAS after all, which commemorates of the birth of Jesus of Nazareth. Thats exactly what CP is about. I personally will never sit to watch the Candlelight Processional, but I have seen video of it and I can appreciate the majesty of a 300 member choir and 50 piece orchestra and understand why it is shown at Epcot.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I finally got around to watching the video. I am not a fan of gospel music (or anything overly religious for that matter) but I found their performance energetic and entertaining. I love the fact that there is a live band and I really enjoyed their version of Silent Night. I do think the show is a bit long for an area that doesn't have seating. I'm not sure how many people are really going to stand there for 25 minutes. :shrug:

wickedsoccer22

So paying for 12 performers for 4 performances a day for 30 days along with the band and the decorations was cheeper than fixing whatever problems the LOW had? When spending more now on the LOW could've saved them more in the long run if they keep a tradition of D'Vine singing every year...

Main Street USA

Epcot is about getting exposure to some new things, and mixing it up a little. I'm certainly not a gospel fan, but from the video, I think it looks a good show, and the performers have some great talent. Good to see an alternative to Voices of Liberty.

I'm judging them as a vocal group, and not as a replacement for LoW.
i didn't compare them to Lights of Winter, Steve. I didn't even think about them as a replacement for LoW. I never considered them that, because no matter how good they are, it's completely different. One has nothing to do with the other.

That being said, and like I already said clearly above, they're mediocre in my eyes.

Main Street USA

One person called them preachy.

Others simply don't care for the show, and others like it. That's all.

EPCOT Explorer

Meh, not my style, but they are nice. That kind of music is soothing. If I see them while in EPCOT, I'll stop for a few mins, but I won't go out of my way for them.

Now, what would be nice, would be having LoW dance to them singing....:cry::lookaroun

tirian

This show is very old-school EPCOT Center to me. It reminds me of the simpler entertainment that would take place between big events like Surprise in the Skies and the original Illuminations.

As for being "preachy," this is no different from the original Holiday Illuminations, which included Sandi Patti singing "O Holy Night." Gee, I miss those days when Epcot had a complete Christmas fireworks show, and the "Peace on Earth" tag was actually the finale.

I'm not a big fan of gospel music, but I really like this show. It brings Future World some much-needed Christmas cheer.

protiius

I agree wholeheartedly that the absence of LoW should have no bearing on their presence. However, I don't really see the synergy in this performance and EPCOT, at least compared to other areas of the other parks that it could be placed (Main Street USA? Streets of America?).

Whereabouts in relation to SSE is this stage?

WDW1974

I don't think this should be compared to LoW, even if Disney is pushing it as something being 'added' while the Lights fade into Yesterland.

It would be akin to saying the McPooh Playground and Diaper Change replaced 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ... well, actually that did. ... Anyway, I'll judge the new 'entertainment' on its own merits as I do anything.

I must admit I find it amusing that a vocal management apologist here first stated the Lights of Winter were removed because of the Christmas music and religious undertones. Doesn't get more religious than having a gospel group ... but I'll listen to them at least once.

jt04

I don't think this should be compared to LoW, even if Disney is pushing it as something being 'added' while the Lights fade into Yesterland.

It would be akin to saying the McPooh Playground and Diaper Change replaced 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ... well, actually that did. ... Anyway, I'll judge the new 'entertainment' on its own merits as I do anything.

I must admit I find it amusing that a vocal management apologist here first stated the Lights of Winter were removed because of the Christmas music and religious undertones. Doesn't get more religious than having a gospel group ... but I'll listen to them at least once.

Could it be that management was listening to those who have been complaigning about the loss of Christmas in Disney's Holiday offerings? Even the complaints from so-called apologists?

Since you can't be trusted to answer honestly, both questions can only justly be answered with a definite 'yes'!

Disney responds to reasoned requests from it's customers. Rants, whining, petitions and temper tantrums usually get forwarded to the round file. Something you may want to keep in mind in the future.

In my opinion. :xmas:

At least we agree it is a good show.

tirian

I agree wholeheartedly that the absence of LoW should have no bearing on their presence. However, I don't really see the synergy in this performance and EPCOT, at least compared to other areas of the other parks that it could be placed (Main Street USA? Streets of America?).

It's highly cultural.

Highly.

Glory, hallelujah.

PalisadesPkteer

I leave for WDW on Tues Dec 1 and come back on Mon Dec 7.

I will stop and listen awhile and then decide if I liked them or not then.

But lets keep one thing straight everyone (most have said it here already) this group should not be blamed or disliked simply because they basicly replaced LoW.

If you like or dislike them then do it on their music, performance, talent and presentation.
As always we will have some on both fronts and thats OK.

In the old days with the Disney co. I once knew, we would have LoW, Garden of Peace, nice holiday decorations all over AND this group as an addition, not as a replacement

See you in 3 Days

mickey2008.1

Not for me, but good for some. What i think would really add to a future world christmas would be a trans siberian orchestra type band. It would just fit with all the technology things that fw is supposed to be.

s8film40

Not for me, but good for some. What i think would really add to a future world christmas would be a trans siberian orchestra type band. It would just fit with all the technology things that fw is supposed to be.

Now that would be great, that's the kind of thing that would fit in future world. An orchestra at the fountain stage playing Trans Siberian type stuff and maybe lasers on the roofs of the Communicore buildings all timed with the fountains and maybe a huge fiber optic tree.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom