DVC - yea or nay??

kjd469

Original Poster
O.K....so here's my situation. Travel to WDW at least once a year. 3 kids, 18, 14 & 13...18yr. old in university, so probably out of the picture most of the time. We are 39 & 41. In a position now to consider joining the DVC. Wanting any opinions either for or against joining up. Will be going to WDW in 2 weeks, so kind of want an idea before then. Any thoughts would be very helpful in our decision. What are the pros and cons? Thanks in advance :)

Enigma

Account Suspended
Nay. DVC is a gimmick because Disney can change the points every year and you will then not be able to go to the places you want to go. If the DVC allowed you to buy a room outright it would be a great investment but being at the mercy of Disney just isn't worth it.

DisneyPhD

Nay. DVC is a gimmick because Disney can change the points every year and you will then not be able to go to the places you want to go. If the DVC allowed you to buy a room outright it would be a great investment but being at the mercy of Disney just isn't worth it.

This is not entirely correct. DVC can move points around, however there is a fixed number of points so if they raise the number of points in one season they have to reduce the number of points required in another. I believe they have only done this 1 or 2 times in 17 years (I may be wrong but I have only heard of this happening in the very early years of DCV). They can also say that you can only go to your home resort but that's one of their biggest selling points and so I don't see them acting on this either.
If you are talking about using points at other non-Disney destinations then yes point costs do go up each year but if you are purchasing DVC and not planning on going to WDW there are much better timeshares for that. DVC is great if you go to WDW each year and stay in a moderate or deluxe resort for a week or more.

Polyman

Yea! Best money I ever spent. Member since 93. Already got my money's worth years ago. The rest is gravy till 2042. Annual dues are very reasonable, and the property taxes are deductible (in most cases). Spend 12 days at WDW with my sons every August using my points. CM, so the 3 of us get into all the parks for the 12 days free. Only money spent is for food, and I get 20% off that.:sohappy:

I have never had actually sat through a DVC presentation, but I have been to others. Overall, I do not find that timeshares are ever a good idea. Many financial advisors say the same thing. Yearly taxes and fees make up a good bit you can already pay on hotels and resorts.

The Wyndham cost 10-30 k that you have to pay to "own" a piece of the club, then you have to pay fees every year.

I know not everyone shares my opinion, but if I am going to own something I want to own property and not points. As I said, I do not know what perks Disney may have.

KingStefan

I have been considering it but have not because we don't go often enough at this time to make it worthwhile for us.

A friend of mine is a member and loves it. He bought enough points so that he can rent a reservation or two to friends and colleagues (like me) each year and pay for his dues and taxes each year, and still have enough points left over go every year himself. So in the few years he has owned it, it has paid for itself (if you compare what it would have been to stay in a comparable lodging on property) AND it pays for his dues and taxes each year in rental fees.

If you go at least once a year, it might be worth it to you. Run a financial comparison. Don't forget to include Mousekeeping if that's important to you.

One downside to me is availability. It's tough to get the days you want in the type of villa/room you want. Especially if it's not your home resort. Even though I'm not a DVC member, I know first hand because of my freind trying to get me the days and villa type I want in a specific resort. If you can afford to be flexible, then maybe that wouldn't be a problem for you. But if you're like us and are not usually able to plan a vacation more than a few months in advance, or if you like to go on the spur of the moment sometimes, then it might not work for you. Another side of the coin.

heliumalias

One big question to ask yourself is whether you go regularly because of your kids or not. Second question is would your kids use it after you. (They recently asked my family if they wanted to extend the length of their membership which would have made the actual owner well over 100!). My family joined in 1995 and stay for roughly 2 weeks every year and we have definitely saved money. We've never had a problem with getting the room we want if you make use of the 11/7 month booking window and even booking last minute we haven't had a problem getting in (as long as you're flexible with room type in that case). We've stayed at non-home resorts as well and they're all pretty nice. The new AKL ones look AMAZING and there's plans for a Hawaii property too.

cemeb4dk

Take an hour or two from your trip and go to the presentation. Ther is no pressure at all. My wife and I bought 6 years ago on our honeymoon. We actually took all the info from the presentation and took it home and talked about it and about 2 weeks later called our representative and bought it. OUrs has paid for it self already. But you must be happy in your decision, and since your kids are older already, will you go without your kids? Do your kids love Disney enough for you to let them use it. I know this is years down the line but once your kids get married and have kids you can let them use it.

dvcmooch

Dvc

I don't understand the previous statement that Disney can change the points at anytime. We have been members of the DVC since 2001 and the point values have never changed for us.

Another reply mentioned planning ahead for your stay at a DVC resort. This is very true. It is difficult to call for a DVC reservation with only a 2 or 3 month notice. But, not impossible. Based on timing, sometimes it can be done. Spur-of-the-moment trips would be very difficult. I don't think we've ever been that lucky. We enjoy our trips to WDW so much, and our stays at the DVC resorts so much, that usually, we are planning our next trip while on the drive home.

As far as "perks" go, you will receive a "Perks Booklet" when you check-in at the DVC resorts. It is usually a pretty long list. It includes discounts at many of the Disney restaurants, savings at many of the shopping areas, and I believe discounts on golfing outings.

My experience in conversations with others, the DVC isn't going to be a good fit for everyone. It has been great for my family. And, I have yet to hear of a member have such a negative experience that they regretted joining. As a matter of fact, as I meet members at WDW, they have all responded that it was one of the best decisions they have ever made for their families.
I work many long hours each day and evening and usually 6-7 days a week. In the past, I knew that I didn't have time to go on vacations, especially on long trips. But, knew I needed to get away. Our first trip to WDW was a blessing, and it opened my eyes to the fact that I will be more productive if I take time away to rest and re-charge my batteries. The DVC offered me an avenue to plan in vacation time at a place where my wife and I can be kids again, and again, and again . . . . . .
And, don't forget, the vacation points can be used in over 500 places around the world.

One thing I should mention, we didn't join the DVC as a financial investment. I don't have any idea how much return you could get re-selling your vacation points. When we joined the DVC, we did this as an investment in ourselves, in our family. I don't think there is any better value than that.

Sorry for such a long post, but I got on a roll !
Good Luck on your decision. If you join, I don't think you will be disappointed.

DVC Mike

Nay. DVC is a gimmick because Disney can change the points every year and you will then not be able to go to the places you want to go.

This is simply not true. The total number of points at a DVC resort can never change. If you look at a points chart for a resort, the total number of points on the chart can never change. Yes, DVC can up points for one season, but they must lower them for another, but minor adjustments of this nature are very rare (only once in the past 15 years).

One downside to me is availability. It's tough to get the days you want in the type of villa/room you want.

If you book your reservation when the booking window opens for a particular date, you shouldn't have any problem. I have never had a problem obtaining any of my reservations. However, if you wait for a while after the booking window has opened, certain choice accomodations at the "favorite" DVC resorts may become difficult to book at certain times of the year.

Take an hour or two from your trip and go to the presentation. Ther is no pressure at all.

But you must be happy in your decision, and since your kids are older already, will you go without your kids? Do your kids love Disney enough for you to let them use it. I know this is years down the line but once your kids get married and have kids you can let them use it.

Totally agree about going to the DVC presentation (it's just an hour long). You'll get all your questions answered and can make an intelligent decision. There is no pressure to buy.

slappy magoo

Enigma, please. You don't know what you're talking about.

Here's the deal. The amount of points you own represent a definite (though very very tiny) percentage of ownership in DVC, for the duration of the deed. Were Disney to arbitrarily raise the amount of points it would take across the board - if they decided every room is worth 2 points more a day every day, that's tantamount to saying "Hey, we TOLD you that you owned THIS much of an interest in DVC, but now we decided you own less. Deal with it" And that's fraud. If they raise the point value for one particular week or season or day, they have to deduct the same amount of points somewhere else. If, for example, a studio in SSR was worth 7500 points over an entire year (a number I pulled out of my butt, I admit, but it's a hypothetical), then it will always be worth 7500 points for a year, never 7800, never 7520 (and yes, they factor Leap Year Day in there somehow.

Back to the original topic, I wouldn't be so presumptuous to say "Yes! Do it and never look back! It's bliss!" I don't know you, the money you bring in, how much you go to WDW, how much you intend to go to WDW, the kind of resorts you normally stay in. I do know, however, that the rack rates of rooms at WDW rarely get reduced, promotional offers notwithstanding, and the promotional offers of today, once upon a time, were rack rates, and promotional offers at that time were once rack rates, etc. and adjusted for literary hyperbole :) I won't say DVC will save you untold amounts of money, but sooner or later, you will break even. Will you occasionally have trouble getting into the DVC resort you want instead of your home resort? Sure, but that happens now, certain resorts fill up all the time. All I can honestly say is I'm glad I am a member. I've been a member since summer of 05. I've taken 2 WDW trips, and used points for a B&B in San Francisco in the concierge collection. What I would've paid to stay in those rooms, even under WDW's passholder rates, equals roughly a third of what I paid to join DVC. No complaints here.

dixiegirl

This is simply not true. The total number of points at a DVC resort can never change. If you look at a points chart for a resort, the total number of points on the chart can never change. Yes, DVC can up points for one season, but they must lower them for another, but minor adjustments of this nature are very rare (only once in the past 15 years).

If you book your reservation when the booking window opens for a particular date, you shouldn't have any problem. I have never had a problem obtaining any of my reservations. However, if you wait for a while after the booking window has opened, certain choice accomodations at the "favorite" DVC resorts may become difficult to book at certain times of the year.

Totally agree about going to the DVC presentation (it's just an hour long). You'll get all your questions answered and can make an intelligent decision. There is no pressure to buy.

And the man has Spoken!!! Thanks for clarifying things Dave!!!
Also take into consideration that resort room fees can go up, while once your a DVC member as said before you don't really need to worry about this.

To us it was and is one of the best investments that we've made, we go to Disney at least 2 or 3 times a year, when we went to a DVC presentation and figured we could have easily paid it off years ago!!.
We have 2 girls who are 4 and 8, and love Disney as much as us.. for us DVC is definatly worth it!

cemeb4dk

One thing I should mention, we didn't join the DVC as a financial investment. I don't have any idea how much return you could get re-selling your vacation points. When we joined the DVC, we did this as an investment in ourselves, in our family. I don't think there is any better value than that.
Great comment right there! Thats what my wife and I did, like i said we bought on our honeymoon, with not even knowing if we would have kids or not. So its truely does come down to the investment in your family not $$. That last sentenance is exactly how we feel, and have just never put it into words like that.

jim1051

We joined in 1999 and have not regretted it. Kids are grown, but now there are grand kids to enjoy it too. My main suggestion for consideration, If you are happy staying off property or in value resorts, it probably does not make financial sense. If you prefer luxury resorts, it usually is a good deal. We love staying in the larger villas, so it works for us.

lebeau

I've run the numbers in the past and was getting ready to do so again when I stumbled across this write-up on Mousesavers:

http://www.mousesavers.com/dvc.html

I think it's very well done! It'd recommend reading this thoroughly if you are considering buying into DVC.

Here's a few highlights:

In the following scenarios, DVC purchase beats investing the money (buy-in amount plus annual fees) and paying cash for your annual vacations:
  • You vacation for 10 nights every year in a Deluxe resort or DVC Studio unit at full "rack rates." In this scenario, you'll start saving money after 8 years or less of DVC ownership. In fact, if this is your vacation style, DVC is still a good deal even if you would only stay 10 nights in a DVC Studio every other year and throw away 50% of your points (though it will take longer to break even -- about 21 years).
  • You stay 10 nights at a Deluxe resort each year, with a 25% discount (approx. 13 years to break even).
  • You stay 7 nights at a Deluxe resort each year at full "rack rates" (approx. 13 years to break even).
  • You vacation for 10 nights each year at a Moderate resort, paying full "rack rates" (approx. 20 years to break even).
  • You rent 160 points from a DVC owner each year, starting at $11 a point, for at least the next 24 years.
  • You vacation for 10 nights each year at a Moderate resort, with a 20% discount (approx. 42 years to break even).
DVC purchase is not cost-effective in the following scenarios:
  • You vacation 7 nights per year at a Moderate resort, paying full "rack rates."
  • You rent 160 points every other year from a DVC owner, starting at $11 a point.
The break-even amount in 2008 dollars seems to be around $1500. If you would normally average less than that per year for your accommodations, DVC is probably not going to save you money. If you spend more than that per year, on average, and you can afford to write a check for the buy-in amount, it's worth considering a DVC purchase.

One last note on this topic: the scenarios above do not take into account a major benefit to investing the money instead of spending it on a DVC membership: your money remains liquid and available in case of emergency or changes in your financial situation. If you invest the money and want to stop vacationing at Disney World, you can easily divert the money to other uses.

Long-Term Issues
DVC contracts last a long time. Will you still want to go to Disney World every year, 25 years from now? 35 years from now?

A DVC owner who became a member 12 years ago mentioned to me that she might not make the same decision today. One thing she didn't consider, she now realizes, is that your lifestyle changes over time. When she became a member, she had small children and went to Disney World every year. Now her kids are in college, and she says when that tuition bill arrives, she sometimes regrets owing $2000 in annual DVC dues.

If your lifestyle changes, you get tired of Disney vacations, or you suffer financial reverses, the dues can become a burden. Then you're faced with selling your membership, or renting out your points to cover the dues. Realistically, there is a reason why there are always DVC resales available -- people do get in over their heads, or just change their minds.

DVC has retained its value better than most timeshares, mainly because Disney has aggressively participated in buying back resales under its "right of first refusal" clause, keeping the resale prices propped up. Currently resellers are typically getting about 75% of current retail prices, once they pay the associated sales costs.

However, as DVC memberships get closer and closer to their expiration dates, it's likely that resale prices will drop. If you are contemplating the purchase of a resale for one of the resorts that expires in 2042, bear in mind that the resale value might drop significantly at some point, particularly since there is a competing DVC resort (Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas) that doesn't expire until 2057. Given the success of DVC, there is every reason to expect that additional resorts will be built, with later and later expiration dates.

Best Candidates for DVC Membership
DVC membership might make sense if you meet most or all of these criteria:
  • You have the cash in hand to pay all of the upfront costs of membership without borrowing.
  • The cost of dues does not appear to present a financial hardship based on your current expectations.
  • You vacation at Walt Disney World frequently: ideally at least once every two years.
  • You plan to continue staying at Disney World far enough into the future to make the membership at least break even.
  • You prefer to stay in Deluxe or DVC accommodations and/or you stay a long time (10 days or more per year).
  • You are able to plan your vacations well in advance -- ideally 7 to 11 months out.
Conclusion
Buying a DVC membership is a rational, financially viable option for some people: namely people with the cost of the initial purchase already sitting in the bank, who plan to stay in the higher-end accommodations at Walt Disney World on a regular basis.

A DVC purchase is a way of committing to an annual Disney vacation with family and friends. For some people, that may outweigh any financial considerations. Only you can determine if DVC membership makes sense for your situation.

If you only visit Disney World occasionally, you may find that renting DVC points from an owner is actually a better deal than buying a DVC membership.
progress.gif

kjd469

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for their "2 cents", especially that last post by Lebeau....things are becoming much clearer now. I am always so impressed by how willing people are to help others on this site...thanks again.

lebeau

Thanks to everyone for their "2 cents", especially that last post by Lebeau....things are becoming much clearer now. I am always so impressed by how willing people are to help others on this site...thanks again.

No problem. Always happy to cut-and-paste! :)

I too am always amazed by how helpful the folks at WDWmagic are. Any time I've ever had a question, someone (usually multiple someones) provided a good answer in minutes. Within an hour, there are usually multiple view points.

I've even had someone contact me and offer me her dinner reservations when I offhandedly mentioned I was having trouble booking one myself!

Phonedave

Just to add to it.

There is a trade off on flexibility and long range planning.

If you can long range plan, then as DVCMike said, you have a really good chance of getting into the resort and room you want. If you book your home at the 11 month window as a safety, and then when the other window opens you put in a reservation you stand a good chance of getting where you want (unless you are in the super busy seasons)

If you cannot long range plan, then be flexible. This Tuesday I found that I will be in the WDW are on business the end of this month. I had some points left that I was going to bank at the end of this month, but I called Members Services and said "can you find me a studio somewhere in a DVC property" - Long story short I got my studio in SSR on roughly 3 weeks notice.

By all means, take your time, go to the presentation, do your research, and then decide if its right for you.

-dave

DVC Dave

Yes Yes Yes!!! Besides the Wonderful World of Disney there are 500 places around the world that you can use yout points at!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom