DVC Extravaganza!

jt04

There is a great message board on wdwinfo.com for renting DVC units from DVC owners. I have used it and its great. nice way to try outt he DVC units that interest you without having to join. The prices for what you get are reasonable too (in relation to normal Disney hotel costs).

Aren't the DVC owners then responsible for anything their "guests" might "borrow" or break?

jmuboy

Probably one of the reasons I don't really care for the Contemporary. I wonder if the Contemporary and or Bay Lake didn't have the view, would people be as excited (I doubt it). It just seems that the people who designed the hotel counted on the fact that the view is the main selling point and weren't terribly creative with the rest of it (I know that they wanted to tie it into the Contemporary) but they could have made a whole new themed resort.

Absolutely a matter of taste - but I would love for my entire house to be built like the modern design of the Contemporary. However, at this point in my life I can't afford custom designs like that. But I can see how the look / feel does not do it for some. My parents would HATE the look of the BLT rooms. They are more traditional. While they would choose the Grand Floridian, I would pick the BLT / Contemporary.

My one big issue with the BLT is that this huge structure does not have its own check in. There is space for it, but it was just never built out. WDW went cheap-o on us again. Hopefully that will change in the future. I think that the addition of these rooms is really going to make the traffic in the Contemporary lobby seem like too much.

jmuboy

Aren't the DVC owners then responsible for anything their "guests" might "borrow" or break?

I'm not sure. Since the reservations are made in the actual person(s) names, not the DVC owners, I would think Disney would go after the guests in the room. Not the DVC owners.

hpyhnt 1000

I feel like that statement could describe most of the rest of the contemporary rooms, especially after the refurbs.

It's hard to make something "Contemporary" without having it smack of cold harshness. The little touches, like the abstract Mickey pictures, etc. are really nice, IMO. I think it works perfectly.

Maybe it's not the tower you've got beef with, but the contemporary theme of the hotel? :shrug:

Well, to be honest, I never have really seen what all the fuss about the Contemporary was. There is something about that sleek, modern look thats attractive, but its so common these days that its hard to set it apart. I just think that the room shown in the pictures is just basic modernism with little to nothing to set it apart. Now, all of the Contemporary is like this to some extent, yes, but there are other rooms that blend that modern look with a bit more warmth and texture that works better. This comes across through more carpeting and lighter, warmer shades of paint and wood for most of the room. They actually look rather nice, an I wouldn't mind staying in them. In the BLT room, there's a LOT of dark wood on the lower floor. I think its the large amount of dark wood in the room (the floors, the cabinets, the stair paneling) thats putting me off. it gives a colder look, IMHO. Clean, yes, but cold.

Again (like I said in my earlier post), these are initial impressions based solely on the pictures. The other thing is that the room wasn't quite done when it was shown (for example, the bedspreads weren't in place yet, and those can add quite a bit to the room) and until it is, its hard to gather a full perspective. All I'm saying is that right now, its not my cup of tea. :shrug:

raiden

DVC would surely would go after the owner of the points..But the renter should worry if the owner of the points came after them:)

I like the building but also would rather not have to go the the CR main building to check in and such..

The north wing had about 250 rooms with BLT having 300ish. So I do not expect that many more people clogging up the monorails, lobbys and buses..

WDWFigment

The Treehouse Villas are amazing. I'm very happy Disney kept that winning concept. I still think they should have marketed it as a seperate golfer DVC. But, no matter, I think it will sell out every night.

Great thread. Poor thread title. Sounds like your selling DVC's :lol:

One of the reasons they didn't make the Villas a separate resort is because DVC has had problems making SSR as appealing to both prospective and current owners as the other resorts. The appeal to current owners puts a strain on the other resorts at the 7 month mark (at which time owners can book outside their home resort), and since there are so many SSR owners, the other resorts tend to fill up right AT the 7 month mark. DVC is hoping that THV will make SSR a more desirable resort to own and stay.

Is the Treehouse Villa also a hotel or do you have to buy into DVC to stay there?

lol after looking at the photos the Treehouse Villias look so 70s/80s Disney (which is a GOOD thing).

Bay Lake Tower on the other hand...*shakes fist*

I believe TDRO (or some similar acronym) owns 15% of every DVC resort, and has the ability to book additional units at a certain point if they haven't otherwise filled up with DVC owners. So, yes, non-DVC owners can book at every DVC resort.

I personally think both of these new resorts look phenomenal. I'm wasn't originally wild about the height of BLT, but it has definitely grown on me. Now if only they'd start on Poly DVC. When/if it comes, so long as it retains the longhouse design, I will be purchasing a lot of DVC points!

Doug7856

Anyone can book DVC rooms. Disney owns a low percentage of the rooms and when members trade out Disney rents the rooms to pay for the trade. We will be at the Tree House Villas for Thanksgiving week. I checked the room rate with tax for the week through Central Reservations and it was $730 per night. Being a DVC member is a much more economical way to stay there. When converting my points to dollars the room rate is less than $300 per night.

Doug

Cap10_Mickey

BLT doesn't look bad, fits in with the "Contemporary" theme pretty well, IMO. Other than the great view, I think the only other real attraction to the Contemporary is the monorail running through the hotel. I know growing up, that was the most incredible thing ever!:sohappy: Anyway, I have close family that are DVC and we are hoping to be some of those SSR owners invading BLT later this year or next :D

SirNim

Two points:

1) BLT looks like Vegas suites --- really nice interior design. Two words: High ceiling! Wow!
2) I can't believe after all this time the Treehouse Villas have come back on line. Excellent!

WDWFigment

Anyone can book DVC rooms. Disney owns a low percentage of the rooms and when members trade out Disney rents the rooms to pay for the trade. We will be at the Tree House Villas for Thanksgiving week. I checked the room rate with tax for the week through Central Reservations and it was $730 per night. Being a DVC member is a much more economical way to stay there. When converting my points to dollars the room rate is less than $300 per night.

Doug

Did your calculations include the time value of money? Don't get me wrong, I love DVC, but the savings are not even close to that much when the proper calculations are made.

Two points:

1) BLT looks like Vegas suites --- really nice interior design. Two words: High ceiling! Wow!
2) I can't believe after all this time the Treehouse Villas have come back on line. Excellent!

Just for reference, the rooms shown are the Grand Villas, which are large, luxurious, and beautiful at all of the DVC properties. There are plenty of cramped studio rooms and 1 BR rooms that are much smaller and without high ceilings--but still gorgeous, in my opinion.

bgraham34

First off thanks so much for the links I really enjoyed looking at the pics. Disney did a great job on both sites. I much prefer to stay at the Treehouse Villas because its more my style but heck I want a view of the Magic Kingdom. So in this case i need to roll into some money to stay there and have a view of the happiest place on Earth.

Craig & Lisa

we will be staying at BLT in August, 6 days after it opens, can't wait, my family is chomping at the bit with anticipation, and the early pics of the grand villa isn't making it easy for them either

jt04

we will be staying at BLT in August, 6 days after it opens, can't wait, my family is chomping at the bit with anticipation, and the early pics of the grand villa isn't making it easy for them either

I hope you can get panoramic pics from the Top of the World. It would be nice to see Bay Lake, Discovery Island, Epcot/DHS, DTD and Downtown Orlando. Oh and fireworks.

Enjoy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom