Dubailand vs WDW

yankspy

On the other hand it does bring about a new exposure of Western culture to a region that has in some parts been admittedly against any sort of integration of other cultures/ways of life.

We'll see....
---------------------

Clearly you have absolutely no knowledge of the United Arab Emirates or its interactions with the West in the past 2 centuries....

And how the hell do you know dubailand wont be magical, well themed etc...? Yes there is a six flags park, but that isnt it. six flags is included within the great size of the whole complex. ive seen many models which include huge replicas of world landmarks in a Vegas stylee. You only have to look at palm island et al to see that theme-ing is pretty important to dubai's infrastructure...

just because it isnt in the US or disney, doesnt mean it wont be extremely impressive. It's not even built and people are claiming it won't be anything special.
Couple things. The quote button is your friend.:lol:

Second, you might have a little more luck in convincing people if you used a little tact. There are many ways to tell people that they are mistaken other than saying "Clearly you have no knowledge..."

Third, everyone is entitled to an opinion. It may not agree with yours, but that does not mean it is wrong.

Fourth, Everyone is judging it before it is built. Just like Night Kingdom, etc. People will always do that.

Finally, I had no idea of the size and scope of this project. I was looking at the official site last night. It does seem quite impressive from the concept art. If the oppurtunity arises, I would love to check it out. :)

I can quote any which way i like thank you.

And no, the issue at hand is not an opinion based issue, it is a fact based issue.

The UAE is one of the US closest allies. They have supported the ''coalition'' in it's invasions. They have supplied troops and supplies to fight other Middle Eastern Nations, which some seem to think all belong to one united anti-american league.

The UAE had extremely strong ties with Britain. It chose to seperate itself from others and bring together former areas as one united force for economic, political and social improvement. Rather like the United States itself.

One thing I have learnt from these boards is that many, not all, but many American posters seem to think that anything outside of Europe and the US is evil and threatening them. That if they were to step foot on a plane then foreigners will murder them. They think nothing could compare to what they can build. It is extremely saddening.

You only have to go on any thread on dubailand to see the completely conflicting views on Dubai between the US and the rest of the world. One seems to think that as it is lumped in with the ''Middle East'' name, then it must be a breeding ground for terrorism and lack of human rights. That no one would ever want to step foot it. That it wants to destroy america and everything about its way of life.

The other side realises that Dubai is actually a supporter of the West, pumps money into attracting tourism. Is home to millions of foreigners. That it is safe, vibrant and interesting. That it is one of the most up and coming countries in the world. And that tourists flock there for that very reason.

Dubai is known for its extremely high level of service, quality, respect and beauty. Yet posters seem to pass it off as a desert where arabs will try to take your money and blow you up.

That is why i get so annoyed, at the pure ignorance.

krankenstein

I'm never traveling to the Middle East by choice no matter how many theme parks they have! :D

Then that is pretty saddening. The Middle East isn't one country. It isn't just Iraq. It has a rich variety of cultures. Heck its the birth place of civilisation itself!

Dubai part of the UAE has very very close relations with the west. It even sent troops into Iraq with the coalition.

It is safe. No it may not have the same freedoms and cultures as you, but then isnt that the whole point of traveling? I think it is completely ignorant to say that you would never even consider the Middle East. Btw Israel is in the Middle East, so really is Egypt to an extent. Two countries which the US happily travels to, so why not UAE?

Than you can go and those of us who do not plan on visiting the Middle East anytime soon won't. Problem solved!

The point of the matter is, many of us in the U.S. have had a sour taste put in our mouth by the actions of a small group of people in the Middle East. Is it right for us to judge a whole culture of people based on the actions of a few? Not at all. But, guess what? We do, everyone does. I'm sorry but I have absolutely no interest in ever stepping on the sand of the Middle East and that is the way it is. Nothing you say can change it.

Mstr Gra-c

Dubailand does look amazing! However, I find it funny how some individuals are so quick to simply accept this new entertainment/family development as a purely friendly venture. I am wondering why a region which had for decades kept its enormous wealth cloistered by its self imposed pursestrings and was all but turning Western Influence away at the border, would now open up and accept Westerners and thier business. Ofcourse I understand the economics of the matter...it is at its most obvious a chance to build even greater wealth? But what is at the core? In recent history it has been Westerners who have built the grand structures and lavished themselves with excess. The East has played the role of the wealthy pauper. So why now? Why all of a sudden would they create a world were Western ideals of granduer and excess take top billing?
Also, I find it hard to promote with my dollars a people who find it necessary to degrade thier women and inflict such Draconian Laws upon thier people...just my opinion.

krankenstein

Dubailand does look amazing! However, I find it funny how some individuals are so quick to simply accept this new entertainment/family development as a purely friendly venture. I am wondering why a region which had for decades kept its enormous wealth cloistered by its self imposed pursestrings and was all but turning Western Influence away at the border, would now open up and accept Westerners and thier business. Ofcourse I understand the economics of the matter...it is at its most obvious a chance to build even greater wealth? But what is at the core? In recent history it has been Westerners who have built the grand structures and lavished themselves with excess. The East has played the role of the wealthy pauper. So why now? Why all of a sudden would they create a world were Western ideals of granduer and excess take top billing?
Also, I find it hard to promote with my dollars a people who find it necessary to degrade thier women and inflict such Draconian Laws upon thier people...just my opinion.

The oil is drying up. :animwink:

nolatron

If a country is going to toss you in jail for 4 years because they find 3 poppy seeds stuck to your shirt that you didn't know about, or because you unknowingly stepped on a cigarette some place in the world that left a hair trace of chemicals on your shoe, then I'll be avoiding that country regardless of what great tourist attractions they may have or what great allies they may be to US. Strict drug laws are one thing, but overly abused strict drug laws are another.

flashinghelmet... Welcome to reality. People will form their own opinions regardless of "facts". I'll guess you'll just be forever ignored.

FreedomWrangler

Clearly you have absolutely no knowledge of the United Arab Emirates or its interactions with the West in the past 2 centuries....

Not to be a stickler but U.A.E. didn't exist until 2 December 1971. Look it up on Wikipedia; I cross checked this with the C.I.A. World Fact Book.

I don't see how this development will be sustained when a small, tiny, minority of people are willing to blow themselves up to destroy Westerner's or Western type developments.

That's not the troubling fact though. I'm more troubled by the vast majority of Middle Easterners who don't speak out against said crazies thus castrating their government from acting to stop noted violence.

I'm not only picking on the Middle East. I happen to share a similar view of Western business development in Communist China. They haven't been blowing Westerners up . . . yet.

BACK ON TOPIC
Nothing will be magical like WDW and DL. They are unique. Not only a once in a lifetime development but once in the vast expanse of cosmic time within our known and unknown universe (or the other universes that may or may not exist). :)

Since1976

I posted my concern about Dubailand on here a few years ago, and since then I've realized that no matter how big a mark the place may have on the world stage, it's unlikely that North American travelers will flock there.

As others have said, Dubailand is not just one company, so it's unlikely we'll have Dubailand Orlando springing up anytime soon, drawing away people from our beloved WDW.

If anything, any awesome attractions that spring up there will inspire similar attractions at Disney parks.

For the record, I'd just as soon visit Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disneyland, and Disneyland Hongkong before I'd ever set foot in Dubailand.

kimmychad

I'm never traveling to the Middle East by choice no matter how many theme parks they have! :D

Then that is pretty saddening. The Middle East isn't one country. It isn't just Iraq. It has a rich variety of cultures. Heck its the birth place of civilisation itself!

Dubai part of the UAE has very very close relations with the west. It even sent troops into Iraq with the coalition.

It is safe. No it may not have the same freedoms and cultures as you, but then isnt that the whole point of traveling? I think it is completely ignorant to say that you would never even consider the Middle East. Btw Israel is in the Middle East, so really is Egypt to an extent. Two countries which the US happily travels to, so why not UAE?

i don't care if its ignorant or not, i won't travel to an area that for one hates americans, and two is getting rich at the expense of americans. theres making money, thats fine, but they're advantage of a situation and thats ridicilous. of course the rest of the world isn't helping by keeping the same combustible engine around for over a hundred years.

kimmychad

I can quote any which way i like thank you.

And no, the issue at hand is not an opinion based issue, it is a fact based issue.

The UAE is one of the US closest allies. They have supported the ''coalition'' in it's invasions. They have supplied troops and supplies to fight other Middle Eastern Nations, which some seem to think all belong to one united anti-american league.

The UAE had extremely strong ties with Britain. It chose to seperate itself from others and bring together former areas as one united force for economic, political and social improvement. Rather like the United States itself.

One thing I have learnt from these boards is that many, not all, but many American posters seem to think that anything outside of Europe and the US is evil and threatening them. That if they were to step foot on a plane then foreigners will murder them. They think nothing could compare to what they can build. It is extremely saddening.

You only have to go on any thread on dubailand to see the completely conflicting views on Dubai between the US and the rest of the world. One seems to think that as it is lumped in with the ''Middle East'' name, then it must be a breeding ground for terrorism and lack of human rights. That no one would ever want to step foot it. That it wants to destroy america and everything about its way of life.

The other side realises that Dubai is actually a supporter of the West, pumps money into attracting tourism. Is home to millions of foreigners. That it is safe, vibrant and interesting. That it is one of the most up and coming countries in the world. And that tourists flock there for that very reason.

Dubai is known for its extremely high level of service, quality, respect and beauty. Yet posters seem to pass it off as a desert where arabs will try to take your money and blow you up.

That is why i get so annoyed, at the pure ignorance.

i know what you mean

Edeyore

Their adds states that Six Flags is going to be there. It does appear to be a bunch of different companies doing their own things in the same area, under one name, but definitely no one operation. I think I like only being 2 hours away from the happiest place on earth.

kimmychad

It's so ironic when a country hates the United States, but loves our products.

It appears that just about everything inside Dubailand will be American.:rolleyes:

yes, of course. theres nothing wrong with american money, just americans. and yet we have so many illegal americans doing whatever they can to cross our borders. i don't mind people legally becoming a citizen, thats what the country was founded on, just wish people would make up their minds.

agent86

i don't care if its ignorant or not, i won't travel to an area that for one hates americans,

Sorry, I don't normally pipe in on the political discussions that occasionally appear here, but I feel compelled to this time. I apologize if this sounds somewhat harsh, but I have to agree with a previous poster who described this mindset by using the word "ignorant". I realize it may sound like a personal insult, but the truth is, you are grossly misinformed if you've been told (or have read somewhere) that Dubai "hates Americans". If you haven't read it anywhere, or been told that by anyone, then I have to wonder if you are simply making that assumption based solely on the fact that the country is located in the Middle East. If the latter is the case, then I'm sorry, but "ignorant" is technically the accurate term to describe your mindset here. As an extremely patriotic American myself, I can tell you that you are WAY off base for thinking that Dubai "hates Americans".

Having said that, there is an issue that Dubai can be rightly faulted for, and that's in the area of some human rights. If you want to dislike Dubai, or refuse to go there, on the basis of that principle, then at least no one could fault you for being misinformed OR "ignorant". But there is wisdom in recognizing who your friends are, and not treating them as though they are your enemies simply because they look like your enemies. Dubai is definitely not an enemy of America, and they don't "hate" us.

and two is getting rich at the expense of americans. theres making money, thats fine, but they're advantage of a situation and thats ridicilous. of course the rest of the world isn't helping by keeping the same combustible engine around for over a hundred years.

Wouldn't most American companies (including Disney) be "guilty" of this?

agent86

It's so ironic when a country hates the United States, but loves our products.

It would ironic if it were true. Where are you getting your information that Dubai "hates the United States"?

It appears that just about everything inside Dubailand will be American.:rolleyes:

Gee, do you suppose that could be because Dubailand is located within a country that does, in fact, have a good relationship with the U.S.?

Sorry, again, for getting caught up in the political discussion here. I just find it so frightening that in the year 2008, such deep-rooted prejudices still exist...to the extent that people would make such broad statements (about a country that is, in fact, our friend) without even bothering to read up on that country.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom