Driving to Disney... to drive or not to drive, that is the question!?!

lbrad

From York, PA. DRIVE ... it is half the fun:p 15 hours one way ... not bad.
We are a family of 5 ... too $$$ to fly. And I love having our car when we arrive in Disney - come & go as we please -eat where ever we want (off property if we choose .. saving $$$). Spend a night in Savannah (used to live there), usu $100 for overnight including breakfast!!! Hitting the road again in 104 days:D

PrincessMia

We also drive from the Cincinnati/KY area. We've flown several times, and 2 out of 3 times, ended up taking longer to get there on the plane than it would have if we drove. Seriously! Between flight delays, mechanical problems, and cancellations. Well, let me tell you- mom in tears and DD4 colored through an entire coloring book, DH furiously trying to re-book flights at the airport... Getting to Disney emotionally and physically exhausted just not worth the extra bit of time we maybe could have (and didn't!).

PrincessMia

Forgot about the convenience of having the car :D We book through AAA, and will never do without the AAA Diamond parking. Luckily, we can go in slower times and get (almost literally) front-row parking. Nothing beats dragging sleeping DD out of the park and plopping her into the car. No waits, no fuss.

All Disney All The Time

We drove many times when the kids were little. And we all have miserable memories of the time that the van died in the middle of nowhere, on the weekend of course, and we had to wait 3 days for "parts" to show up. It was in the mid-1980's in Skippers, VA. Nice enough people but not one of our more magical memories.

Travel, be it by road, air or water, can be aggravating (and expensive).

Goofyernmost

We drove many times when the kids were little. And we all have miserable memories of the time that the van died in the middle of nowhere, on the weekend of course, and we had to wait 3 days for "parts" to show up. It was in the mid-1980's in Skippers, VA. Nice enough people but not one of our more magical memories.

Travel, be it by road, air or water, can be aggravating (and expensive).
Life is like that. One of the many times I took my car down, on the way, for some reason only known to a higher deity, both head gaskets blew on my Cadi. $3700.00 later I headed back to Vermont only to have a tire blowout on I-95 near Daytona. I was beginning to think that Florida didn't want me to leave.

All Disney All The Time

Life is like that. One of the many times I took my car down, on the way, for some reason only known to a higher deity, both head gaskets blew on my Cadi. $3700.00 later I headed back to Vermont only to have a tire blowout on I-95 near Daytona. I was beginning to think that Florida didn't want me to leave.
Yep, you should have definitely taken the hint and moved out of the Peoples' Republic of Vermont to become a citizen of sunny Florida.

But anyway, driving ain't no guarantee of smooth traveling anymore than flying is. Stuff happens.

Cosmic Commando

I am sooo glad that we didn't run into any traffic on our trip! We don't have traffic where I live, so I don't tolerate it well! Since we leave at 6PM on a Friday, that pretty much lets all the traffic clear before we hit any potential problem spots. We went through Pittsburgh around 9 PM, Charlotte around 4 AM, etc. a pretty easy Saturday drive for the rest.

DisneyPrincess5

Driving for us is about 22 hours and flying is 2.5 hours. Although I love flying, I also loved when I was a kid and we drove a few times. It's great to see the East Coast. But nowadays its just not realistic for us as my fiancé hates long car rides and it essentially takes four days off our disney stay.

Goofyernmost

We always drive down from Canada - 20+ hours one way. I-75 straight down and we always stop near the Florida border (usually Adel, GA) for the night. Usually pull into WDW and Pop around 1-2pm the next day.

Wouldn't have it any other way. The drive IS part of the trip itself for us now!
That is my feeling. Yes, it is tiring sometimes, but I've always, overall, enjoyed the trip. Growing up in the 50's that was the ONLY way we traveled. For one thing the family was far from wealthy so we didn't venture too far away from home anyway. Even if we could, my Father wouldn't set foot in an airplane, so road trip was the only way. When planning a vacation after I grew up and had a family of my own, money was tight then too, but I loved a road trip and just adjusted my vacation time to include the time on the road. To me it was as much a part of the vacation as the destination.

luv

Driving for us is about 22 hours and flying is 2.5 hours. Although I love flying, I also loved when I was a kid and we drove a few times. It's great to see the East Coast. But nowadays its just not realistic for us as my fiancé hates long car rides and it essentially takes four days off our disney stay.
Saving time is a good argument in favor of flying! Not everyone has two to eight days to sit in the car! I've also flown when going with friends I didn't wish to stuck in a car with for two days, lol.

You need to actually be close to people for road trips...they do tend to bring out the worst in you at times! But we love ours. Half of our best memories are of the traveling part of the trip and not the destinations!! :)

sbkline

We've never flown, so I don't know how much plane tickets cost. But the bigger your family is, I would think the more economical it would be to drive (as long as they can all fit in one vehicle, that is). Say you are a family of 4, like us. You have to buy 4 plane tickets. Again, I'm not sure how much a plane ticket would be, but I do know that you are buying 4 plane tickets, whereas your gas for the van costs the same whether you are driving alone, or with three other people.

We drive from Illinois, and in those first couple years when my wife and I drove straight through, it took us around 18 hours. Now we stop once or twice on the way down. For me, the drive is part of the experience. I enjoy seeing the sights, hearing the sounds of the DVDs playing in back, maybe finding a good place to stop and eat along the way (for us, this is usually on the way back, because on the way there, I want to make the best possible time).

Ultimately, if you are only concerned about the economics of it, just sit down and count up the expenses. As I said, for each person in the party, you have to buy a plane ticket, but your fuel costs are the same no matter how many people are in your vehicle. But then, on top of that, you have to factor in how many people you are feeding and how much it will cost to feed them when you stop along the way to eat. Will you stop for breakfast, lunch and supper, or just eat out of the cooler for most of the trip and only stop for one meal? Are you driving straight through, or stopping at a hotel? The question will be, do you think your fuel costs, food costs and lodging costs will be smaller or bigger than plane ticket costs?

Marion

We drive from New Orleans. Ten to twelve hours,depending on how many pit stops we make. Not a bad ride. The anticipation is worth it. I would go more often if I had a ride. I think that Disney needs a Disney airline.

Ember

Count us in with the drivers. We used to fly when there was two of us and again when the kids flew free, but now with four of us and having to rent a car to see family in Florida after the Disney visit, it's just way cheaper to drive. For this trip we're kind of "cheating" with the driving though as we are taking the auto train down and then driving back. Takes us about 17 hours straight through.

Violet

I would definitely fly if I wasn't scared of flying (from NJ). So driving is the only way I will get there, for now anyway. I try to see the plusses of driving and there definitely are some. It doesn't really add four days, more like one day on either end of the trip, depending how you do it. The drive down is fun, the drive home, not so much.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Typically, for a trip of 500-1500 miles it is cheaper for one person to fly and for two to drive. As your family grows, the gap between driving and flying grows. I'm a married man with two kids and I pay for vacations (my wife works and we each have different financial responsibilities) and it takes really cheap plane tickets for me to even consider flying. It is really, really sweet to have your car at WDW and in the Orlando area in general.

sbkline

For me, although the drive gets tedious after a while, the road trip back home is like a final part of the vacation experience. I can't imagine getting up at WDW in the morning, then getting on a plane, and being back home that afternoon. To me, that's too quick of a transition from Disney to home. At least with a long road trip back home, we can stop at a nice steak house for supper, find a hotel to crash in, then get up in the morning and finish driving home. That way, when I get home, I remember being back at the hotel in Tennessee that morning, and the good dinner we had last night, rather than remembering being at WDW that morning. lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom