Driving to Disney... to drive or not to drive, that is the question!?!

Goofyernmost

I live just south of DC and they are in the midst of a massive road expansion project. 95 backs up a lot earlier than 3:30. I would say rush hour begins somewhere around 2 during the week. Depending on the weekend you might not move at all. I would say that if you are driving past DC you should try to be through northern virginia by at the lastest 3 pm.
That road expansion project has been continuous since the mid 80's. It is a perpetual construction project like the intersection of I-4 and Rt. 192 in Kissimmee. :D

flynnibus

Premium Member
The beltway is finally done.. as is the 495/95 interchange and the Potomac Bridge crossing. So the major bottlenecks at DC are done construction now (West side has been a mess as they've built HOT lanes over the last few years).. but now it's just your typical upkeep work. But now they are moving to add/convert the existing HOV lanes on 95 south of DC to HOT lanes too. That will kink things for awhile. But it's always the stretch down south that drive you mad. There is NOTHING there to cause backups.. but it always has them. Very frustrating.

You really can't predict 'good' and bad times.. just avoid rush hours and hope something else doesn't haunt you. For us locals on the west side, we actually take US-17 to go as far south as we can before jumping on I-95.. but there really is no skipping the chute through central VA.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

We are planning on driving this summer from Long Island. The cost for four of us to fly is just outrageous. Plus the last two times we have flown to WDW, we have had out luggage opened and items missing. While I will not complain about security, I just do not like it when things I buy for family and friends seem to disappear. I will take my 16 hours in the car and enjoy the time with my family and save the money and not deal with the hassles that go with traveling by air.
We are planning on driving this summer from Long Island. The cost for four of us to fly is just outrageous. Plus the last two times we have flown to WDW, we have had out luggage opened and items missing. While I will not complain about security, I just do not like it when things I buy for family and friends seem to disappear. I will take my 16 hours in the car and enjoy the time with my family and save the money and not deal with the hassles that go with traveling by air.

We did that I febuary. The way they're went well and we drove streight thru, the ride back on the other hand was depressing and cold. If your doing it in the summer at least your leaving the humidity and comic back to the perfect 80-90 low humidity as well as the north and south shore :).

gooftroop5

Growing up, we usally flew, but drove a few times when money was tight. The first time my husband and I went, we flew, stayed on site, took Disney transportation everywhere. We had to take a cab to Walgreens to get some groceries and staples because we always bring food into the parks to save monday. We live in Central Illinois and flew Air Tran at that time. Totally worth it cost-wise (it was something like $350 round trip for two), but it took us 7 hours to get down there and 9 hours back because we had to stop in Atlanta. Ick.

Two years ago we drove. I was working nights at the time and so my husband drove during the day and I drove us through Atlanta in the middle of the night, which is the only time to go through Atlanta. It was a 16 hour trip and we brought our own cooler and snacks, so we only stopped for gas. We left in the evening and arrived in time to have lunch at Beaches and Cream before checking-in. It is really two different trips, it just depends on what you're looking for! We are flying in June when we go because I will be 28 weeks pregnant and can't be in a car that long. Yay for our first baby's first "trip" to Disney!

We are from Central Illinois TOO and use to use Air-Tran, but now everything is sky-high for prices out of our little airport. Plus stopping in Atlanta was not my favorite part! We drive now every time. We typically leave around 5pm. I am a night owl so I get the overnight shift. Driving through the night is the way to go if you can. No traffic, the kids sleep, and stops are quick and easy. Taking a cooler and snacks is a big plus. We only stop for gas and when we do everyone must "try to go!"

For us driving is the only way to go!

PotteryGal

We don't even think of flying - we always drive. From Ohio it takes us about 15-16 hours if we drove nonstop. However we do stop for an overnight, usually in SC or Georgia. This summer will be a bit different as we're not leaving at dawn but after lunch for the first day's drive (daughter has band camp until 12), so we're stopping in Charlotte, NC the first night. The trip down is always much better than the trip home; it just feels like forever to get back! I remember on one trip home we got slowed down and couldn't figure out why, until we were in the passing lane and realized there was a funeral procession on I-77N. Oops :eek: I also remember when we finally did arrive back home, we walked into a sweltering house because our A/C had stopped working. It was like we were back in FL LOL!

coleandrachel

We come from Fort Worth, TX each time. Just about 18 hours with my wife and daughter (4)... BUT, I LOVE to drive! I could drive all day long (longest trip was 28 hours). I am also a younger guy and I pride myself in being able to do these long trips. To me, it all depends on how much money you would save or lose by buying plane tickets

All Disney All The Time

I think every family should take a road trip together. I have many fond memories of fun had on road trips. I also have many fond memories or arguments and fights during road trips, lol. But they are all good memories.

It's an experience in itself.

Flying is nice, too. It has its upsides!

But all kids should have at least one memory of a road trip. IMO. :)
Totally agree, but now that the kids are grown, we fly.

JohnLocke

I think it really just all depends on what you're looking to do, how much you're willing to spend, and what's most affordable.

Our drive is always somewhere between 9 and 12 hours, minus any kind of stops, it's just usually cheaper to do that than take a flight. If you live further off, have more people, or just don't want to take a long car ride with some people, flying is probably the way to go.

acishere

I prefer flying for the following reasons
- Requires another 2 vacation days. I want those 2 for a smaller trip in the fall usually to somewhere else.
- Coming from NJ it is like 17 hours according to Google. Plus a few hours of sitting in traffic in Baltimore and DC. Going non-stop is going to leave me exhausted for the first day. And a stop is going to require those two extra vacation days.
- I have a Wrangler and my gf has a Mini. They are harsh to drive for long periods.
- Its only worth it if you have a large family and it comes out a lot cheaper than the flight. There are 2 of us, so its not a big deal to fly.
- I am from NJ so flying means I don't have to re-remember how to pump gas again.

Figgy1

I prefer flying for the following reasons
- Requires another 2 vacation days. I want those 2 for a smaller trip in the fall usually to somewhere else.
- Coming from NJ it is like 17 hours according to Google. Plus a few hours of sitting in traffic in Baltimore and DC. Going non-stop is going to leave me exhausted for the first day. And a stop is going to require those two extra vacation days.
- I have a Wrangler and my gf has a Mini. They are harsh to drive for long periods.
- Its only worth it if you have a large family and it comes out a lot cheaper than the flight. There are 2 of us, so its not a big deal to fly.
- I am from NJ so flying means I don't have to re-remember how to pump gas again.
Yes and most places you pay extra for the luxury of pumping your own gas!:eek:

Mainahman

We flew last time we went, it was worth it, however in researching a second trip here at some point, its 22 hours and some change from door step to POP Century. ive driven to Virginia, to Busch Gardens straight through of 14.5 hours whats another 8 at that point to be at the happiest place in my world? The look at cost, it would cost us just shy of one adult ticket round trip in just gas alone, It really could be cheaper...As much as i hate driving that long i might just have to consider it. If it means i might get yearly trips to the world vs bi yearly or every 3 id do it.

JCtheparrothead

I drove for the first time last year because we stayed at our condo for 3 weeks. I am from Detroit and it is about 18 hours to Orlando but we break up the drive in Knoxville and stay with family. I like to drive and that was pretty easy even with a 1.5 yo and a 3.5 yo. It was also way cheaper by about 2000.00 for that trip. I am heading back in September and plan to hit the open road again. As long as I remember iPads and snacks I am good.

Figgy1

I drove for the first time last year because we stayed at our condo for 3 weeks. I am from Detroit and it is about 18 hours to Orlando but we break up the drive in Knoxville and stay with family. I like to drive and that was pretty easy even with a 1.5 yo and a 3.5 yo. It was also way cheaper by about 2000.00 for that trip. I am heading back in September and plan to hit the open road again. As long as I remember iPads and snacks I am good.
With the kids a portable dvd plater also helps

Goofyernmost

What a difference technology makes. When I drove there with the family it was the same except for one thing. Change DVD player to books. They worked too, but that was a different time and a different place in history.:)

Weather_Lady

We're about a 21-hour drive from Disney (NY state). According to the "driving to Disney" website, it would cost us about $420 in gas to get there and back (and that doesn't include the cost of one night's hotel or campground stay each way, unless we decide to do the whole trip in a single leg, or pull over and sleep the four of us in our SUV at a Wal-mart parking lot. We're so hardcore.) Given the fact that we have small children and don't own a vehicle with reclining seats, I'd go ahead and budget $100 each way for accommodations.

The cost for roundtrip airfare on Jetblue or Southwest from Rochester/Syracuse/Buffalo to Orlando is $1,200 max for the four of us.

So driving would save us, at most, $780 (if you subtract $200 for hotel, it would make our savings more like $580). That's a nice chunk of change, but when you consider that we're "losing" a day from each end of the vacation, it's not worth it for me. DH and I only get 2-3 weeks of vacation per year, so every day is precious, and although we do enjoy road trips, we'd just rather spend that extra time in Disney World. Not only that, but I already spend well over 2 hours in my car every day, between a long commute to and from work, picking up the kids from daycare, etc. I'd rather not spend too much vacation time in there!

Violet

We drive from NJ because I am terrified of flying. It's really not that bad. And it's nice to have our car there while we are there. It also helps with packing, I can just throw everything in huge totes and go.

alissafalco

Original Poster
We're about a 21-hour drive from Disney (NY state). According to the "driving to Disney" website, it would cost us about $420 in gas to get there and back (and that doesn't include the cost of one night's hotel or campground stay each way, unless we decide to do the whole trip in a single leg, or pull over and sleep the four of us in our SUV at a Wal-mart parking lot. We're so hardcore.) Given the fact that we have small children and don't own a vehicle with reclining seats, I'd go ahead and budget $100 each way for accommodations.

The cost for roundtrip airfare on Jetblue or Southwest from Rochester/Syracuse/Buffalo to Orlando is $1,200 max for the four of us.

So driving would save us, at most, $780 (if you subtract $200 for hotel, it would make our savings more like $580). That's a nice chunk of change, but when you consider that we're "losing" a day from each end of the vacation, it's not worth it for me. DH and I only get 2-3 weeks of vacation per year, so every day is precious, and although we do enjoy road trips, we'd just rather spend that extra time in Disney World. Not only that, but I already spend well over 2 hours in my car every day, between a long commute to and from work, picking up the kids from daycare, etc. I'd rather not spend too much vacation time in there!

I couldn't agree more!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom