Driving to Disney... to drive or not to drive, that is the question!?!

wbtc

We drive every year from north of Toronto Canada. The driving time is about 22 hours but we spread it out over 2 1/2 days. It is a wonderful drive down I75 and we alway go in february or march so it is like a change of seasons as we progress.

We really enjoy the journey and consider it as a fun part of the holiday.

We dr
How far is too far to drive to WDW? How far have you driven from? Is it really worth saving the air fare? I'm from the northeast and Google says it would take me about 17 hours to drive. Unless you're an RV family and into the journey as part of your vacation, I don't see that as practical. "Save up and fly right", that's my motto! What's your opinion?

We drive from central Louisiana every year. 12 hours. Usually stop In Tallahassee the trip there and drive all the way back when we leave. Driving makes memories ...

Emyli Mouse

Growing up, we usally flew, but drove a few times when money was tight. The first time my husband and I went, we flew, stayed on site, took Disney transportation everywhere. We had to take a cab to Walgreens to get some groceries and staples because we always bring food into the parks to save monday. We live in Central Illinois and flew Air Tran at that time. Totally worth it cost-wise (it was something like $350 round trip for two), but it took us 7 hours to get down there and 9 hours back because we had to stop in Atlanta. Ick.

Two years ago we drove. I was working nights at the time and so my husband drove during the day and I drove us through Atlanta in the middle of the night, which is the only time to go through Atlanta. It was a 16 hour trip and we brought our own cooler and snacks, so we only stopped for gas. We left in the evening and arrived in time to have lunch at Beaches and Cream before checking-in. It is really two different trips, it just depends on what you're looking for! We are flying in June when we go because I will be 28 weeks pregnant and can't be in a car that long. Yay for our first baby's first "trip" to Disney!

Cosmic Commando

We drive every year from north of Toronto Canada. The driving time is about 22 hours but we spread it out over 2 1/2 days. It is a wonderful drive down I75 and we alway go in february or march so it is like a change of seasons as we progress.

We really enjoy the journey and consider it as a fun part of the holiday.
Have you ever tried the I-95 drive? I'm wondering how it compares to I-75.

PirateFrank

This past fall, we decided to surprise our son and daughter (at the time, 9 and 6, respectively) with a long weekend trip down to WDW for some MNSSHP and F&W. This was going to be their first surprise trip -- we usually hyper-plan the trips with the kids involvement.

The plan was to wake them at 4:30am the morning of Nov 1, drive them to JFK, get on the first flight out of JFK and be on the magical express by 10:00am. We would fly back the evening of sunday Nov 4 -- this way, the kids would only miss 2 days of actual school.

As most of you know, Hurricane Sandy hit the NY area on Oct 29th. In my area of Long Island, flooding wasn't the problem (as we are more inland). But large numbers of downed oak trees completely ravaged the electrical grid. We had no phone, no power and only our cars to charge our cell phones...which had zero signal. I discovered that I could get a cell signal by driving into town and parking in certain parts of commuter lots, so all day on Oct 30th, I'm driving back and forth trying to figure out whether our flight was going to take off on the morning of Nov 1. During these cell signal drives into town. I learned that LaGuardia airport was complete submerged and JFK literally had large boats littering the runways. By the evening of Nov 30, all of the flights out of JFK had been canceled for the 31st. I came home and discussed this with my wife (my kids were still in the dark on this trip - and in their rooms).

The next morning, we hatched an alternate plan. I checked the minivan's oil, tires, etc and after breakfast we told the kids about the original plan -- and how that original plan was likely not going to happen because the planes aren't flying yet. We were either forced to cancel the whole trip or get in the car and drive down -- all in the next 45 minutes. I've never seen these kids mobilize so quickly. 40 minutes later we were in our car, driving to my mother-in-law's place to drop off the dog -- and after being told we were certifiably crazy, we got on the belt parkway and got the eff out of dodge! That was 10:30am, Oct 31st.

My wife and I split the driving. We drove all day, stopping only for gas and quick fast-food meals -- and got to Savannah, GA by 1:45am. By this point, we were flat out exhausted. We stopped at a hotel just outside of Savannah's airport, got a room and slept for approximately 6 hours. We ate breakfast and by 9:00 am, we were back on the road. We got stuck in *major* traffic just south of Jacksonville, due to nasty wreck, which delayed us at least 2.5 hours. We pulled into the Beach Club at 1:30am, Nov 1 - making our original reservation. Total trip time, with the stopover in GA, 27 hours. Our driving time was closer to 20 hours -- which would have been closer to 17 hours, if not for massive rush hour traffic in DC and the wreck in Jacksonville.

In a sick twist of irony, our original flight, the morning of Nov 1 -- did in fact take off from JFK and landed in Orlando *on-time* :mad: Talk about feeling like a complete schmuck! Granted, we all agreed that given the information we were being given on the 30th, there was no way anyone would think that the Nov 1 flight would take off.

When we got to the Beach Club, the CM checking my wife in took pity on us and marveled at our last minute drive -- she upgraded us from a BCV studio to a garden-view room in the hotel. We ended up doing everything we had planned -- F&W, MNSSHP, etc. However, On saturday morning, my wife had a great idea in that I should go out hunting for a generator -- as generators would be in short supply back home. So I took the morning, while the kids swam at Stormalong Bay and I found the largest generator I could fit into the back of the Minivan -- a 7500 watt beast....which made the minivan ride quite a bit back-heavy.

On Sat night, I fronted the idea of taking the auto-train back while my wife and kids would fly back home. I scheduled the autotrain for monday Nov 5. My wife calls the airline to check if it's alright if just her and the kids fly on nov 4th.... and they inform her that since they didn't show the morning of Nov 1, their seats were forfeited. :mad: So after speaking to several different people at the airline, they got them back on the flight. Ironically, as we rode to the airport, my wife learned that school was going to be canceled that following monday-- the woman at the airline was able to switch them to the next morning's flight.

One more Disney Day! So we checked into the Hilton at DTD and spent the night at DTD loading the car up with everything we otherwise would never have bought if we were flying!

I actually had alot of fun driving during that particular trip. It was great having the car down there...and I hate airports and TSA under the best of circumstances. If I drove from Long Island again, I would do a few things differently, however:

Departure timing is essential - I would *not* leave at 10:30am. With a lunch stop, we passed DC at approximately 4pm. By 4:25, the rush hour traffic leaving DC southbound on 95 was absolutely heinous. Worse than anything I've seen in NYC. You'd be at a standstill for minutes at a time, move forward 4 feet and then stop for another 2-3 minutes. This traffic holdup cost us hours!! I would instead, leave closer to 5am or so. This way, you're leaving NYC before traffic gets bad and you're passing through DC after the morning rush hour. This way, you get to Savannah, GA (which was a great place to stop, btw) in early evening -- you get a full night's sleep before continuing on the next morning.

Bring a smart phone or do your homework in advance - being able to find places to stop along the way for bathroom or food breaks is harder in parts of NC, SC and GA -- as 95 drives through some rural zones. Pre-plan your stops if you don't have a smart-phone with GPS.

plan some downtime - The day we arrived, Nov 1 -- we got to the Beach Club, dropped our stuff and went straight to the WS - within 4 hours, my body was shutting down. I was ornery and short with everyone and physically exhausted. Not a good way to spend any days at Disney. So if you drive down, don't drop your bags and rush to the parks. Stay at the hotel on arrival day -- soak in the pool and relax, have a few cold ones, etc.

Hope that helps. I know I get long winded with my stories....so I hope you guys don't mind -- hopefully someone finds this story entertaining!

zero creativity

Last time we flew it was nothing but trouble. Bag checking system at the resort was down, almost every possible thing that could go wrong did. We spent almost as much time getting to and from the airport and flying as it takes to drive. We found that we like the drive, 95 may be a bit boring but it is easy. Plus we can get/bring food and come and go as we please. Being at the mercy of Magical Express is sometimes more of pain than it is worth.

allgiggles

T
Departure timing is essential - I would *not* leave at 10:30am. With a lunch stop, we passed DC at approximately 4pm. By 4:25, the rush hour traffic leaving DC southbound on 95 was absolutely heinous. Worse than anything I've seen in NYC. You'd be at a standstill for minutes at a time, move forward 4 feet and then stop for another 2-3 minutes. This traffic holdup cost us hours!! I would instead, leave closer to 5am or so. This way, you're leaving NYC before traffic gets bad and you're passing through DC after the morning rush hour. This way, you get to Savannah, GA (which was a great place to stop, btw) in early evening -- you get a full night's sleep before continuing on the next morning.

We've made that mistake with our DC arrival time as well...but to make it worse, it was a Friday afternoon. Our plan was to leave home at about 9-10 a.m. We're about a 3 hour drive from DC. I wanted to get through that city by 3:00. Well, 8:30 that morning DH got a phone call from his office -- they needed his direction/input on an emergency issue. His boss told him over and over again that he did *not* want him to come in to the office -- just be part of a conference call. Not good enough for DH. He headed to the office insisting he'd be back in an hour. HA!! I packed the car and had the kids ready to go by 9:00 and we waited. And waited. He got home at 11:00 and decided that since the weather forecast for our area was for light rain over the next 2 or 3 days it would be a good time to plant grass seed in all of those bare areas of the yard (we had just built the house about 9 months earlier). Of course we didn't have any grass seed to plant so that meant a trip to Lowe's (20 minutes away). Oh...and he had to write up a summary of things regarding the issue at work and send it off to a few key people who weren't part of the conference call. I said I could run to Lowe's while he did that. Nope -- *he* had to go to Lowe's because apparently *he* was the only one who could pick out the proper grass seed (even though *I* was the one who talked to the landscaper to find out what to buy a few weeks before that. :confused:). Soooooo, we ended up not getting on the road until 1:00 and hit DC at 4:00. We experienced the exact same thing as you -- dead stop for 10 minutes at a time; move forward a few feet; repeat. Every time we got to an entrance for the HOV lanes it seemed like traffic was starting to move so we'd stay where we were...only to have it stop 2 seconds after we'd pass the entrance ramp. After 2 hours of this (and watching the HOV lanes go flying by) we decided that at the next entrance ramp we were getting in the HOV lanes no matter what. So we did. And the first sign we saw after we got on was something to the effect of "HOV lanes end in 2 miles"). Great. Fortunately, once we merged back into regular traffic, the pace seemed to pick up and the traffic jam ended. We listened to several traffic reports and they all kept saying "Unusually high traffic and delays on I-95 (or whatever bypass we were on). No explanation for the delays other than volume. Worse than normal...." Now we try to plan our trips so we leave at 6:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning. Most of the time we fly through DC with no traffic.

DisneyBeatles

We also drive about 17 hours. We have been doing that every year for my whole life and we find it very well worth it. With the cost of airfare, it gets VERY expensive for a family of 5. We take our Yukon for the drive. It is very comfortable and we actually do enjoy the drive.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
If I was within 10-12 hours driving distance I would do it every time without thinking. That's a half day of driving. I don't mind driving and in some cases actually enjoy it. That coupled with my WDW Energy level (which borders on super-hero type stamina;)) I could start driving at 6 and be in WDW for a 6:30PM ADR and a night in the parks that same day. Good stuff.

I'm about 21-23 driving hours away..Flying is obviously more efficient and with these gas prices almost less expensive!!
But I would do it if I couldn't get a good price on flights (under 1200 round trip for the 4 us) and my wife could get the time off from work.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The next morning, we hatched an alternate plan. I checked the minivan's oil, tires, etc and after breakfast we told the kids about the original plan -- and how that original plan was likely not going to happen because the planes aren't flying yet. We were either forced to cancel the whole trip or get in the car and drive down -- all in the next 45 minutes. I've never seen these kids mobilize so quickly. 40 minutes later we were in our car, driving to my mother-in-law's place to drop off the dog -- and after being told we were certifiably crazy, we got on the belt parkway and got the eff out of dodge! That was 10:30am, Oct 31st.
Great story.. my wife had a similar one for different reasons... had to be in tampa.. missed the flight.. literally NOTHING from Richmond to NJ had a seat between then and when she had to be there. So went home, 30mins later was making the drive :) We are outside DC, so she was able to do it in one day.. but she didn't leave until almost 2pm!

With a lunch stop, we passed DC at approximately 4pm. By 4:25, the rush hour traffic leaving DC southbound on 95 was absolutely heinous. Worse than anything I've seen in NYC

Yup.. welcome to my hell :) 95 is usually worse south of DC until you hit Richmond. We say it doesn't matter, what day, what time, that stretch is always a crap shoot. And we always try to schedule departure times to avoid the beltway between 330pm-7pm.

Rush hour for my commute leg is about 4pm-7pm..

Goofyernmost

Yup.. welcome to my hell :) 95 is usually worse south of DC until you hit Richmond. We say it doesn't matter, what day, what time, that stretch is always a crap shoot. And we always try to schedule departure times to avoid the beltway between 330pm-7pm.
The only day that I found that you have a decent chance is Sunday, early afternoon. Otherwise it's a 6+ lane parking lot. :eek:

allgiggles

We always say that once we hit Richmond (heading south) we're "home free". After that, 95 is usually clear sailing (barring an accident or construction) until we hit I-4 in FL. (I know Jacksonville can be a nightmare sometimes but we're always traveling through there on a Sunday morning so it's never been a problem for us). When people from our area say, "We take the Auto Train to Disney so we can avoid all of the traffic. You should do that." Hello???? You/We still have to get through Philly, Wilmington, Baltimore, & DC to get to the Auto Train in Lorton. That's by far the worst traffic section of the entire drive!!! Once you get to Lorton, it's pretty much clear sailing the rest of the way.

luv

I think every family should take a road trip together. I have many fond memories of fun had on road trips. I also have many fond memories or arguments and fights during road trips, lol. But they are all good memories.

It's an experience in itself.

Flying is nice, too. It has its upsides!

But all kids should have at least one memory of a road trip. IMO. :)

zero creativity

I live just south of DC and they are in the midst of a massive road expansion project. 95 backs up a lot earlier than 3:30. I would say rush hour begins somewhere around 2 during the week. Depending on the weekend you might not move at all. I would say that if you are driving past DC you should try to be through northern virginia by at the lastest 3 pm.

LaughingGravy

I would so love to drive down. Heck, I'd jump in the car tomorrow. I'm sick of the cold weather with the warm teases.
Wife and 1st DD don't like long car rides, and I hate airlines, and DW hates the cost of the airlines.
The insane cost of the airline tix from EWR, plus baggage, plus car rental (we really enjoy having our own car on site) make the trip nutsy expensive. That and DW wants to do an addition to the house, so this is a luxury that is out of the question for now. :(

It gets better...my Mom lives near Raleigh, so you figure a nice free 1/2 way stop, right?
Nope. DW. I'l just leave it at that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom