Dreamfinder: Redux?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
AMartin767 said:
I'll believe it when it is officially announced. That being said, it is the only correct move that Disney could make concerning the pavillion. The current version of the ride is an atrocity and a complete waste of time.

Took the words out of my mouth. And this version is better than version two!

speck76

I have no idea why WDW would want to spend another $50million+ on an attraction that is only a few years old.....especially when so many other attractions need more work, and Epcot is the LAST park that needs a new attractions....

Seems like a very poor business decision.

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
I have no idea why WDW would want to spend another $50million+ on an attraction that is only a few years old.....especially when so many other attractions need more work, and Epcot is the LAST park that needs a new attractions....

I think, if this comes true, this move will be more to send a message and make a longterm business decision than to "make the best shorterm business decision"

I agree that the MK and possibly MGM need the work more than Epcot, but I'm all for this if it were to happen. And the philosophy behind it.

MissK

I always thought Dreamfinder looked very dignified in the pictures I've seen, so cute :) One of the things I've learned is to take everything on the web with a grain of salt so I'll give this news a "Interesting" and leave it at that.

Now to go search why people dislike this Jim Hill guy so much...

Richie248

Like most of you, I'm going to take this information with a grain of salt. As much as I loved the original Imagination ride, doesn't it seem a bit silly to bring it back (even though he shouldn't have left to begin with). As noted they should look at the pavillion as a whole and perhaps develop a whole new concept. Perhaps create a 3D movie with dreamfinder and figment?? It has the potential to be both creative, and comical. Then create some sort of dark ride...and ideas?

speck76

dxwwf3 said:
I think, if this comes true, this move will be more to send a message and make a longterm business decision than to "make the best shorterm business decision"

I agree that the MK and possibly MGM need the work more than Epcot, but I'm all for this if it were to happen. And the philosophy behind it.

At the same time, the new attraction could be worse than the 3 previous version.....

My personal opinion is that if they do anything at all to it....they should demolish the entire pavilion and start from scratch.....perhaps even change the concept.

Captain Chaos

I say have Dreamfinder vs. Eric Idle in a Celebrity Death Match with Figment as the guest ref... The winner gets to be included in the new attraction... Disney can bill this as a pay per view event.. Charge $49.95... Us Disney "dweebs" would line up for this...

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
At the same time, the new attraction could be worse than the 3 previous version.....

If they put the time and money into it, I would highly doubt that. Sure it COULD be worse, but would you really expect that if everything in this article came true?

jeffb

I also fall in the I will believe it when I see it group. Too add back the Dreamfinder to the attraction is only a partial fix or enhancement. 1) Isn't something like 40% of the original track gone? 2) I also thought one of the most important elements of the original compared to v2/3 was the originals incredibly tight fit of the music and the dialogue. The DF pretty much sings / crones his way though his lines. Addtionally, the visuals were so dense in the original from the moment you walked into the pavillion (the giant mural for the queue / load area, to the movie scene in the end. The sets were massively themed and there was very little blank area. The current version really lacks this visual intestity.

The more I think about it, I would be completely surprised if they really spent the serious serious money & time need to bring back this attraction to its past glory. The work involved would be tremendous, because I do not believe they can't go back and just reinstall the old one and alot of us " Disney Dweebs" will still compare what ever they build to the original. Kodak's current financial state doesn't help either. It would be a very nice surpirse, but I just have my doubts.

I can dream it, but I do not think they will do it!

mitchk

I would love to see it happen, it all depends on how they do it. For 1 they would have to change figments attitude a little (imagine if he sprayed Dreamfinder with that skunk smell)! Jim Hill has been right about a lot of things so we'll have to see what happens. BTW, I'm pretty sure most of the track is still there, it just isn't being used.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
jeffb, I`m hoping for a version 4 if Dreamfinder returns - just adding him to the current ride would be a cop out. Yes, something as visually and audibly (sp) stimulating as the original, but more so.

mitchk - there are conflicting reports to how much (if any) of the track was left in situ. It`s physical space was certainly covered over in certain places (in areas of the Imageworkstore and ride queue if you jump you can hear it`s hollow underneath the floor) but I`d imagine a lot of the track space was filled in. The rotating Flight to Imagination scene machinery was pretty much removed and/or trashed though; todays queue goes right through what was the centre of it (contrary to popular belief there was no `turntable` as such; rather 5 rotating show scenes suspended from above that ran on circular floor rails)

mitchk

marni1971 said:
jeffb, I`m hoping for a version 4 if Dreamfinder returns - just adding him to the current ride would be a cop out. Yes, something as visually and audibly (sp) stimulating as the original, but more so.

mitchk - there are conflicting reports to how much (if any) of the track was left in situ. It`s physical space was certainly covered over in certain places (in areas of the Imageworkstore and ride queue if you jump you can hear it`s hollow underneath the floor) but I`d imagine a lot of the track space was filled in. The rotating Flight to Imagination scene machinery was pretty much removed and/or trashed though; todays queue goes right through what was the centre of it (contrary to popular belief there was no `turntable` as such; rather 5 rotating show scenes suspended from above that ran on circular floor rails)

Thanks for clearing that up :wave: . I knew the que area had a lot of the old ride under it (I always look around the floor, wall, anywhere to find some evidence of the old ride). I always thought that where you load now was the scene with the dream machine on a rotating platform, I also heard a big problem with it was that it got warped, and wasn't rotating correctly. When I was there in the begining of May the only thing I found was the steps that lead to the upstairs (I'm pretty sure it was them to the left before you exit the gift shop) but aren't they spiral, and could easily be converted into a ramp (I heard a big reason they closed it was because it was not wheel chair assessable). One good thing was imagineworks was filled with kids, they were using the picture machines, the interactive figment thing, it really gave me some hope that kids still know, and love Figment (even if he is a little obnoxious now)

jeffb

mitchk said:
When I was there in the begining of May the only thing I found was the steps that lead to the upstairs (I'm pretty sure it was them to the left before you exit the gift shop) but aren't they spiral, and could easily be converted into a ramp (I heard a big reason they closed it was because it was not wheel chair assessable).

While I have no inside information on why they closed the upstiars Imageworks, it would not surprise me that the reason was strictly cost related in that putting the new interactive area on the first floor allowed them not to incurr costs in renovaiting the upstairs. Its a really a shame, because the upsatirs of the Imagine Pavillion is really a work of art. I remember they used to show Kodak photo contest winners displayed in the upstairs area before entering the imageworks.

mitchk said:
One good thing was imagineworks was filled with kids, they were using the picture machines, the interactive figment thing, it really gave me some hope that kids still know, and love Figment (even if he is a little obnoxious now)

During Jan 06, a slow time, I had to wait each time to use the picture morphing machines. The area was not super crowded but there was activity. However, the queue to ride JII W/F was empty. Walked right on.

brkgnews

speck76 said:

If it did happen, it would most definitely be a symbolic warm-and-fuzzy thing, rather than a purely biz-based decision. I put it on line with the Oswald deal. Could they have gotten something better for their money than an old has-been mute wabbit? Yup. But would anybody have cared? Probably not. This puts the company in the good graces with its core group. And I think it's a shrewd biz decision in its own right.

FigmentJedi

It might be slightly probable though. After all, the Figment Meet and Greet is still gone and it was supposed to have come back last month but it hasn't as far as I know. Could be that Dreamfinder with Figment puppet or a similar concept is returning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom