Dr. Judd's Diet Talk

Computer Magic

you only have to give them the money you raise from hitting up your friends.

"Hey, how much would you pay to see me run 13 miles?"

I'm betting you would raise plenty. :D And I've heard a rumor that if you raise enough money, that charity will book you a deluxe hotel room for free. :king:

Since I asked the question, I'll admit that I created a wii fit profile last night and it told me:

* I am fat
* I am clumsy

:lol: Gotta love wii fit! :lookaroun

But I have lost 2 pounds this week. :p
I'll give MouseMadness $10 per mile she completes.

Disneybird

Okay, who brought this thread back from the dead?:eek:

. . . oh, it looks like Doug.:fork:

I'm fat, fat, fat and more fat.

. . . I'm like a fried pork rind, just fat dipped in fat.:hurl:

. . . thanks for asking.:lol:

:ROFLOL:

you only have to give them the money you raise from hitting up your friends.

"Hey, how much would you pay to see me run 13 miles?"

I'm betting you would raise plenty. And I've heard a rumor that if you raise enough money, that charity will book you a deluxe hotel room for free.

Since I asked the question, I'll admit that I created a wii fit profile last night and it told me:

* I am fat
* I am clumsy

:lol: Gotta love wii fit! :lookaroun

But I have lost 2 pounds this week. :p

Okay...here is my quick story.

43 year old male 6'4" and as of last December 1st I was 260 pounds and a size 46 waist. Blech:hurl:

My son and I were home alone one weekend and there was a Biggest Loser marathon on one of the channels and for some weird reason I got hooked on the first couple of hours and so did my son. We ended up watching the whole thing over the weekend.

Monday morning I decided to change my life. It was not unusual for me to live on fast food for several days at a time, just too lazy to fix anything. When I did bother to cook, it was not so good for me either. I could sit down in front of the TV at night after supper and about finish off a package of Oreos or a giant bowl of ice cream. Yeah, I know…not pretty.

So anyway, I just stopped all that nonsense that one Monday morning. No more crap. I think I cut out all fat for one week. It was a tough week, but by the next Monday morning I was already down about 8 pounds. I went a little crazy for the next couple of weeks, pretty much going in the other direction as before. I hadn’t yet learned the secret of having a lot of calories but watching the fat and I cut a ton of calories. Not a good thing at all, even though the pounds came off fast. I started reading about a healthy diet and got things figured out pretty quick.

I play soccer in an adult league once a week…with a bunch of kids half my age. Let me tell you, just that one day a week I run my backside off and it is great.

So today, I am at 212 pounds and easily fit into a size 38 pant. When I started, my goal was 220 and a size 40-42…and the good thing is I can have that hamburger once in a while to fill the need, but I really do love eating healthy and it is not a struggle at all. I figure if I can do it, anybody can.

:sohappy:Hooray for Doug and Timmay

Now to the rest of us people. What are we going to do about this? Keep sitting on our backsides, typing on a computer while we eat late night snacks and drink cherry cola. I can't get into my summer clothes from last year. I went to Kmart to buy the cheap stuff because I refuse to spend much money on stuff to wear, when I have closets full. Let's put down that soda can, trash those chips and repeat after me: I will get serious about this. 3x's. After all, I don't know about the rest of you but I'm not getting any younger, and it gets harder and harder to lose weight.

The Mom

Premium Member
I believe it's harder to maintain weight loss than it is to lose weight. Consistancy is the key, and also getting back on track ASAP. I had guests last week, so didn't have time to walk as usual. (They would not/could not walk with me, and even if they had, they wouldn't have been able to walk at my rate) Add in cooking fancier meals, rather than the soup (Progresso light, a lifesaver for dieters) and salad I'll sometimes have, and I gained 2.5 lbs.

Sigh...back to routine, and working harder just to get where I was a week ago.

But, I have lost 20 lbs since January, and will reach my goal of 10 more. I kept all of my smaller clothes from the last time, so it's been fun to pull them out and wear them again! I'm about 5 lbs away from fitting comfortably into that black gown in my avatar. :sohappy:

MouseMadness

:sohappy:

I'll agree that the maintaining is the hardest part. I hope everybody has some sort of weight training program going! Building and maintaining muscle is so important! An extra dessert here or there is much easier to deal with when your resting metabolic rate is higher :animwink: :lookaroun

I'm still nursing, so I can't do anything too crazy still. :lol: That in itself burns up enough calories, and as soon as I dip even just a little I have a hard time keeping up with feeding her. Plus the kids' schedules are inSANE this time of year....

I know, excuses excuses :lol: :eek:

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Keep sitting on our backsides, typing on a computer while we eat late night snacks and drink cherry cola.

That sounds good to me.:lookaroun

I don't know if it's just getting older or what, but a couple weeks ago I hit my: "Okay, I've got to crack down" moment - which usually leads to some better habits and weight loss for me . . .

. . . but for some reason, I just haven't been able to translate that into real progress this time.:shrug: When meal time comes around, I find myself just eating like a pig and I know I shouldn't be doing it and I feel guilty and fat afterward . . . but somehow that's not getting translated into enough real motivation to do better next meal time.

. . . but I picked up a salad this morning and I'll see if I can focus a little more. Maybe this thread will help me.

MouseMadness

My mom has the issue of losing motivation... she'll lose a bunch of weight and then inexplicably fall off :shrug:

I know a lot of times you'll hear "tomorrow is another day" but I told her think of your next meal as your next chance to do better :shrug: Or even your next snack :lol: Even that little bit is better than nothing, in my mind. :shrug: To think "well, since I had a candy bar today, I might as well have a cheeseburger and fries for dinner" doesn't make any sense to me.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
To think "well, since I had a candy bar today, I might as well have a cheeseburger and fries for dinner" doesn't make any sense to me.

:lol:

Just like it doesn't make sense to say: "Hmmm, I'm feeling a little tired today, so I think I'll skip the gym . . . and stop by McDonalds on the way home."

But I've been known to do that one.:lookaroun

:eek:

. . . Oh, and the Swine Flu has prompted our gym to hang up signs advising people not to come if they have fever, flu symptoms etc.

Which is really a good idea . . . because . . . you know . . . when I've got the Flu, the first thing I want to do is go to the gym.:lol:

MouseMadness

LMAO.gif

The Mom

Premium Member
:lol:

Which is really a good idea . . . because . . . you know . . . when I've got the Flu, the first thing I want to do is go to the gym.:lol:

You haven't met my husband, have you? He was of the "sweat out the germs by exercising" mindset until a couple of years ago, when he ended up with pneumonia.

He finally understood that the reason I rarely get very sick is that I pamper myself as soon as I feel something coming on - Rest, fluids, and extra vitamins. Now he takes it easy when he's sick.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
You haven't met my husband, have you? He was of the "sweat out the germs by exercising" mindset until a couple of years ago, when he ended up with pneumonia.

He finally understood that the reason I rarely get very sick is that I pamper myself as soon as I feel something coming on - Rest, fluids, and extra vitamins. Now he takes it easy when he's sick.

Oh, I had a karate teacher who used to do a lot of talking about "sweating it out", but I noticed that, while he always told us that, I never saw him show up at the dojo with a fever.:lol:

Disneybird

I believe it's harder to maintain weight loss than it is to lose weight. Consistancy is the key, and also getting back on track ASAP. I had guests last week, so didn't have time to walk as usual. (They would not/could not walk with me, and even if they had, they wouldn't have been able to walk at my rate) Add in cooking fancier meals, rather than the soup (Progresso light, a lifesaver for dieters) and salad I'll sometimes have, and I gained 2.5 lbs.

Sigh...back to routine, and working harder just to get where I was a week ago.

But, I have lost 20 lbs since January, and will reach my goal of 10 more. I kept all of my smaller clothes from the last time, so it's been fun to pull them out and wear them again! I'm about 5 lbs away from fitting comfortably into that black gown in my avatar. :sohappy:

Good for you. What have you been doing to lose the weight?

The Mom

Premium Member
I've gone back to weighing and measuring everything. It's amazing how much your estimate of a portion can differ from the actual measurement.

I've gone back to some of my tried and true low cal, low carb, low fat, high vegetable recipes, and have cut back on red meats. I also limit myself to one helping - no seconds allowed.

I've gotten back to walking at least 2-3 miles daily, and have forced myself to drink more water.

I know HOW to lose weight, as I've done it before. It's drifting back to old habits that's the problem. At least I didn't get all the way back to where I started from last time, so my journey hasn't been as long. :lol:

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I've gone back to weighing and measuring everything. It's amazing how much your estimate of a portion can differ from the actual measurement.

I've gone back to some of my tried and true low cal, low carb, low fat, high vegetable recipes, and have cut back on red meats. I also limit myself to one helping - no seconds allowed.

I've gotten back to walking at least 2-3 miles daily, and have forced myself to drink more water.

I know HOW to lose weight, as I've done it before. It's drifting back to old habits that's the problem. At least I didn't get all the way back to where I started from last time, so my journey hasn't been as long. :lol:

:sohappy: Seems like a very solid strategy.

I passed a key test today. About an hour before lunch-time a co-worker told me she was going to my favorite deli. They make an absolutely fantastic prosciutto and capicola:slurp:

I actually gave her money and had my mouth all set for it when I thought better of it and told her I'd pass.

I had a can of split pea soup while she sat across the table from me eating an Itallian sub. It was 20 minutes of hell, but I felt a whole lot better the rest of the day up until now than I would have if I had caved.:king:

I've got to keep that long-term perspective the next time I'm tempted.

The Mom

Premium Member
Oh, I had a karate teacher who used to do a lot of talking about "sweating it out", but I noticed that, while he always told us that, I never saw him show up at the dojo with a fever.:lol:

I have seen him on the squash court with a fever, and out rowing despite hacking away. :lol:

Disneybird

I seriously need to speed up my metabolism. I drink maybe 1 soft drink every 3 months, probably average a glass of sweet tea a week, rarely eat chips or sweets anymore, don't usually go back for seconds and walk almost daily and try to get a little exercise in every day. But I also sit in front of a computer for 8 hours.

But maybe there is a little light at the end of the tunnel. We spent the night at our daughters last night, and this morning she told me my cellulite was getting better. :lol:

MouseMadness

I'm telling ya, step up the weight training for that metabolism! I would think that even adding a small pair of hand held weights if you walk would work really well.

WildcatDen

I've got to keep that long-term perspective the next time I'm tempted.

That has been my trouble all along. You just get wrapped up in the convenience of fast food or quick meals when you allow your schedule to dictate (funny word) your eating habits.

Just hit the big 4-0 last month and I need to start "Doing" the life changing eating habits and exercise instead of just thinking about it. . .

So starting tomorrow - WWWD - Weight Watchers With Discipline. Why tomorrow you ask, :lookaroun I bought steaks for tonight. . .

Keep me accountable. . .

tigsmom

That has been my trouble all along. You just get wrapped up in the convenience of fast food or quick meals when you allow your schedule to dictate (funny word) your eating habits.

Just hit the big 4-0 last month and I need to start "Doing" the life changing eating habits and exercise instead of just thinking about it. . .

So starting tomorrow - WWWD - Weight Watchers With Discipline. Why tomorrow you ask, :lookaroun I bought steaks for tonight. . .

Keep me accountable. . .

There are no forbidden foods on WW, it's just some choices are better than others. Grilled steaks are great (as long as its lean :lookaroun ) and low in Points. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom