Downtown Disney rumor

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Firstly, “The BVD Corridor Stormwater Project” is the name of the plan to relocate the retention ponds in the area, and is not the name of the DTD project that is being developed in the trailers over by AoA.

Anyhow...no Adventurers Club? Fail on every level.

Actually, I have it on good authority that the 'BVD Corridor Storm Water Project" is the name being floated around for Rhine River Ride in its current iteration. After 25 years of design they think they finally have it right. Unfortunately, there is only $37.60 left for construction.

If you're ever up in Indiana I have a makeshift AC in a garden shed. Parking isn't an issue.

Lee

Adventurer
Yep.
I mentioned it myself three times in the last couple months.

I've known it longer, but I've been hoping they wouldn't use it.

71jason

Solves the parking problems at DTD with the garage.

Not really. I don't know why, but people (including tourists) in Orlando have a strong aversion to parking garages. Look at all the complaints about Universal, despite the fact they let you park in the shade all day so you can actually grab a hold of the steering wheel when you get back into your car at 6:00 on a Summer day. Look at Premium Outlet Mall, where people cruise the front lots waiting for someone to pull out rather than pull into the garage in the back. Look at Pointe Orlando, which has never lived up to its potential.

A garage will hurt AMC/Splitsville (assuming the current West Side lots are demolished). And a garage does nothing to alleviate the fact that the majority of things of interest to DTD guests are on the east side. Taking away the close parking for the few people who used to get it and saying no one parks close anymore is hardly solving that problem.

aladdin2007

The first question that came up from my family after discussing this was "yeah but that means they will probably charge for parking",,,? "nah they wont when they want you to come there to shop and eat",,,"but its Disney if they can find a way to they would"....so what do you all think?

mickey2008.1

It's something better than the current. In the article it said Planet Hollywood would be renamed. Does this mean that the restaurant is closing? I find that hard to believe with it's popularity. Not a favorite of mine, but each his own.

imagineer boy

They sure could. Easily.

But do you really see that happening? WDW has been aiming exclusively at kids for a while now, I don't see any evidence of a shift in thinking at this point.

Sadly that is very, very true. Truly a terrible marketing strategy that shows management does not understand their product. Not to mention is makes me look bad personally and makes people think I'm a man-child.

Either way, if they were to bring back the adult edge to the PI area then this expansion would be perfect for it. The more plentiful and closer parking would be available to people going to PI. The expansion would also be able to divert families with kids from the market place to the West Side around PI and keep the kids from seeing adult sights.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I like the sound of this. Lord knows DTD has needed a parking garage for the longest time, and the PI additions sound very nice. I can see it happening as something similar to The Grove in L.A. I also agree with previous postings about adding retail/dining that cater to the locals - while many won't want to see it, third party stuff can work here. DLR's DTD has stores like Wet Seal, Fossil, Sanuk, Build-a-Bear, Quiksilver, Sephora, etc. Bring in some clothing stores and a few good dining spots and they'll be set.

Also, as a huge Wetzel's Pretzels fan, I would much rather see Starbucks take up shop in a bigger space in the new area. :p

lazyboy97o

The first question that came up from my family after discussing this was "yeah but that means they will probably charge for parking",,,? "nah they wont when they want you to come there to shop and eat",,,"but its Disney if they can find a way to they would"....so what do you all think?
They charge for parking at Downtown Disney in Anaheim and both CityWalks. The parking could be on a time scale and free for a few hours and/or there could validation provided with purchases. A benefit of charged parking, which at its max would match the parks, is the return of direct transportation to the theme parks.

c-one

I'm in the camp that doesn't like this theme plan nearly as much as the Hyperion Wharf plans... but more disconcerting me is the sheer amount of new retail/restaurant space DTD would be apparently adding. If they can't fill what they've got, what's the point in all this extra space?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
They charge for parking at Downtown Disney in Anaheim and both CityWalks. The parking could be on a time scale and free for a few hours and/or there could validation provided with purchases. A benefit of charged parking, which at its max would match the parks, is the return of direct transportation to the theme parks.
What would stop me from parking at DTD, running in and buying a drink (thereby getting my parking ticket validated) then jumping on the bus to the Magic Kingdom?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I'm in the camp that doesn't like this theme plan nearly as much as the Hyperion Wharf plans... but more disconcerting me is the sheer amount of new retail/restaurant space DTD would be apparently adding. If they can't fill what they've got, what's the point in all this extra space?
It's the same false assumptions on Disney's part that got PI closed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom