Done they were. Lied they did.

Mike S

I think you’re underestimating their past success in TV. They directed several highly lauded episodes of Community, Arrested Development, and Happy Endings.
I know I’m just saying it’s still a difference. These guys were hired just because of Game of Thrones which is arguably different from regular TV and can technically be put in blockbuster territory. The Russos were probably a bigger risk when viewed with a business mind and they were given Captain America.

Tony Perkis

I know I’m just saying it’s still a difference. These guys were hired just because of Game of Thrones which is arguably different from regular TV and can technically be put in blockbuster territory. The Russos were probably a bigger risk when viewed with a business mind and they were given Captain America.
I agree to an extent. I think it’s a mistake to throw the GOT into the same category of guys like Treverrow, because the facts are that they were the showrunners of not just the more jumbled later seasons, but also when it was considered one of the best TV shows on.

They also made the Always Sunny episode “Flowers for Charlie”, which is hysterical.

Mike S

I agree to an extent. I think it’s a mistake to throw the GOT into the same category of guys like Treverrow, because the facts are that they were the showrunners of not just the more jumbled later seasons, but also when it was considered one of the best TV shows on.

They also made the Always Sunny episode “Flowers for Charlie”, which is hysterical.
The GoT guys or the Russos? I don’t watch Always Sunny. I actually don’t watch a lot of shows.

jt04

Haven't seen GoT but I hear the film making is top notch. I have a good feeling about it being a good choice.

Darkprime

Well that explains why D&D are so keen to move on from GoT they wanted to join the galaxy far far away. There's no denying that seasons 1-5 of GoT were incredible. Season 6 onwards is where the quality started to drop. I still hope they won't screw it up and fingers crossed its the old republic they are doing.

Darkprime

3 years is forever in public stock Hollywood terms.

No sense downplaying the developing failure this is

Here's a quote from Iger on the 3 year hiatus.

“It makes sense to take a hiatus,” after the release of The Rise of Skywalker this year, Iger said. “Three years is the proper amount of time to take a breather and reset but really gear up for the next film’s release. We did a deal with Benioff and Weiss, and the next movie will be theirs.”

Tony Perkis

Well that explains why D&D are so keen to move on from GoT they wanted to join the galaxy far far away. There's no denying that seasons 1-5 of GoT were incredible. Season 6 onwards is where the quality started to drop. I still hope they won't screw it up and fingers crossed its the old republic they are doing.
Star Wars had nothing to do with GoT ending.

Tony Perkis

You really dont think so? lol...
Without any doubt in my mind, 100%.

If HBO and the creative team wanted to continue with the show, they’d do so with different showrunners. This is exactly what happened with several HBO shows, including Veep recently. The availability of an opening at Lucasfilm didn’t have any bearing with what HBO was planning.

Believe it or not, Disney isn’t so powerful that other corporations make drastic changes with likely harmful financial implications to their most profitable properties just to accommodate them.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Haven't seen GoT but I hear the film making is top notch. I have a good feeling about it being a good choice.

When they had source material...first 5-6 seasons...it was the best character developed show in history...

When they didn’t - last 2 - it’s been only spectacle and no heart.

So of course you have a good feeling...you’re batting 1.000

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You really dont think so? lol...
Without any doubt in my mind, 100%.

If HBO and the creative team wanted to continue with the show, they’d do so with different showrunners. This is exactly what happened with several HBO shows, including Veep recently. The availability of an opening at Lucasfilm didn’t have any bearing with what HBO was planning.

Believe it or not, Disney isn’t so powerful that other corporations make drastic changes with likely harmful financial implications to their most profitable properties just to accommodate them.

I think it’s pretty clear it did have a major impact. I wouldn’t have said that 3 weeks ago...but the last two seasons have been lazy storytelling

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The funny thing is tho I just realized Iger wont be in charge when the first D&D film is released in 2022. So I wonder how that will effect things.

You hit the nail on the head.

He won’t be there and won’t care...so a “hiatus” hides a failure he won’t have to deal with the fallout from.

Tony Perkis

If Iger is to be believed they were already working on the 2022 movie last summer during filming of the final GoT season.
HBO announced a few years ago when GOT would be ending.

Disney struck a deal with the two showrunners when it was easy to determine when their availability would be much more open.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You mean the stories began to suffer when they couldn’t use the books as sources?!

Must be because of Star Wars.

Sorry...you’re right.

I was on another path: there is evidence that they haven’t demonstrated to be able to do good characters with an established canon in a property that absolutely needs great characters.

Don’t we all feel better now?😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom