Trip Report *DONE!* Take a dash of Food & Wine, a 30th birthday, some crayons, a 10 mile run and what do ya get?

.. A Tower of Terror 10 miler trip report of course!!! :)

Aloha boys and girls and welcome to my fall 2012 trip report!! I’ve decided to stop the trend of losing my vacation pictures starting with this TR. If you read my last 2 trip reports (well, one and a half since my May TR still isn’t finished… oops!!) you know that my sister accidentally deleted the last day of pictures after our November 2011 trip which included our Crystal Palace character breakfast, meet and greets with Aladdin, Jasmine, Davy Crockett Donald as well as a couple others.. Then while in the process of writing my May 2012 TR I lost my memory card and only the first 2 days worth of photos were saved :( Obviously, I don’t have good luck with vacation photos. HOWEVER - When I got home this time, I immediately saved them to my sister’s external hard drive and put the memory card in a safe place. We also ordered the Photopass CD and I took over 1300 pictures so needless to say this will be a picture infused trip report for sure!

If you’d like to read my PTR, you can find it here:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-crazy-a-tower-of-terror-10-miler-ptr.848349/

At first it was just going to be a long weekend trip to run our first Disney race: The Tower of Terror 10 Miler. Yes, you read that right. 10 miles! And I’m not a runner by any means but my sister and I signed up for the race in February. Clearly we are just crazy. Or we were just cold up here in snowy, frigid Maine and the thought of getting out of Maine for any reason seemed appealing at the time, even if it meant running (or fast walking) 10 miles. Training didn’t go as well as we had hoped and there were times we thought of dropping out cause let’s be real here, 10 miles is no short distance. The longest run I put in before the race was 5 miles. My hip acted up here and there and it hurt me to run sometimes. But we decided to give it a shot. The worst that could happen? We get swept but at least we could say we tried it. Besides, my gal pals Jess, Courtney and Shelley (@PartOfYourWorld @enchanted_belle and @Fashionista007 respectively) were going to be running as well. So I had some motivational support right there. I’m sure by now you’re probably wondering… Did I finish the race? You’ll have to read all about it to find out!! So who’s with me? Alright then… let’s get this thing rolling!!

Monday September 24 – Arrival day and our trial of Fast Pass Plus!
My alarm went off bright and early on Monday morning. Actually, it was more like dark and early since it was 3:20am. Mom and my grandmother would be there at 4am sharp to pick me up for our 1 mile commute to the airport. Our flight was at 5:40am and after researching the outgoing flights that morning and finding that 6 flights were leaving within 30 minutes of each other at our small little jetport, I decided we should be there by 4:15. That would give us a solid hour and a half before our flight to check our bag, get through security and maybe grab some breakfast. A little before 4, I let my pup Luca out and gave him lots of kisses as I would miss dearly while I was gone. I mean who wouldn’t miss this face?!

luca-1.jpg

Mom and Grams showed up and we loaded my stuff into the car and we were on our way (I should mention here that Ashley would not be flying in until Wednesday evening due to her not being able to get as much time off from work) I had already checked us in for our flight with AirTran so all we had to do was check our one bag, print our boarding pass and get through the security line…. Only there were no lines. No line to check the bag and maybe 3 people ahead of us at security. And here I thought the line would be huge with so many people traveling early. Oh well. Better safe than sorry. We had an hour and 15 minutes to kill so I grabbed a magazine and read.

It was still dark out when we took off and we made it to Baltimore without issues. We landed in BWI at 7:10 so we had about an hour or so before the next leg of the trip so I went and got us some Jamba Juice. Mmm….. yummy!!

When we went to board the plane to Orlando, the ticket lady scanned my ticket and then she told me that our seats had been changed. She handed me and my Mom new boarding passes and told us “Here sit in these 2 seats. They’re in business class” A free upgrade to business class? Heck yes!! The extra leg room was nice and we got some Milano cookies as opposed to mini pretzels. You didn’t get anything additional other than a little extra leg room and priority boarding. The extra leg room was DEFINITELY nice but the fact it was about $300 more each way than what we paid, it just didn’t seem worth it. The only thing separating business class and coach was a curtain behind the seats so it wasn’t like you were really secluded. Sorry but the additional $600 that business class cost could be better spent elsewhere… like a stay at the Polynesian :) It was nice though to try once, especially since it was free. Since we were close to the front of the plane, we were first to disembark when we landed in sunny Florida 14 minutes ahead of schedule. No waiting at the back of the plane. That was nice…

We headed straight for DME and there wasn’t really a long line. We hopped on the bus headed for the All Star Resort and at promptly 10:38am we were bound for the happiest place on earth!!!

mom-d-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

Getting closer……
DSC_0006-1.jpg

We’re here!!!!!
DSC_0007-1.jpg

We stopped at Coronado Springs first and then All Star Sports. We were finally there and I was super excited. We walked right up to the online check in and checked in with a CM name Sena. At this point I realized I did not have my ID on me and it must have fallen off my lap on the bus. FAIL! Good thing I brought my old ID with me. At first the CM seemed ok. We had requested the football section, ground floor and our requests were met. But when I asked her about our 2 day base ticket that we had to purchase in order to get free dining, she started talking to me like I was a moron. Sorry lady, but I don’t understand how it all works. I DON’T WORK HERE! YOU DO! Which Is why I’m asking you. Basically I asked her if our tickets were on our Key to The World card and if I could get them taken off that and put on a separate ticket, like when you just buy your park pass from guest services. She told me “No, the tickets are on there. It’s a package!” with a very snarky attitude. I told her I figured that would be the case but told her we have annual passes. This was where she rudely interrupted me and said “Then just don’t use the room key to get into the parks!!” Ummmm, ok, but how would I use the tickets in the future? Just bring that same room key when I wanted to put it towards my annual pass next year? “You would save it! Just like you would any other ticket!” At that point I was sick of her attitude and I sharply said “OK! Thanks!” took my packet and walked away. She did NOT have the friendly attitude I would expect from a Disney employee. There was no need to talk to me like she did. I’ve never booked a package so I don’t know how it works. I understand you get asked the same questions every day probably but this is the first time I am asking it. No need to be nasty with me. I think they need to sprinkle her with some pixie dust or something, make her a little more friendly.

So after a not so nice first encounter, we took stopped in the food court to pick up our refillable mugs. We have 4 mugs already at our house and if they weren’t free with the dining plan, we probably wouldn’t have gotten them. Honestly, we probably would have brought our ones from May and used those. Don’t hate. I know you’re not supposed to use them past your stay but we just got them 4 months ago. And we don’t use them that often. At least we’re not using the old ones from like 5 years ago or even older ones back when they had resort specific mugs (both of which I saw being done.) We then took our stuff to the room.

football-1.jpg

We were room 121, a corner room. We were super close to the main building so that was awesome. I don’t think if we had booked a preferred room that we would have been much closer. We actually could have even been further away so I’m glad we saved our money, switched to a regular room and just requested the football section so thanks John @blackthidot for suggesting that. I’ll review our room and the resort in full at the end of the TR.

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

Of course I took a picture of the room. Just one. Because what trip report would be complete without at least one room picture! :)

DSC_0012-1.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

After a quick change and a phone call from a CM at the front desk letting me know our DME driver had found my ID, we headed to the bus stop for our first park: Magic Kingdom! We had some Fast Pass Plus cards to trial!!

plaz10

FLYING V!!!!! I seriously will shout that out at Pens games when I've had a few :rolleyes:
I've also been known to shout out "It's knuckle puck time!" and "WOO WOO WOO...KENNY WU!"

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
FLYING V!!!!! I seriously will shout that out at Pens games when I've had a few :rolleyes:
I've also been known to shout out "It's knuckle puck time!" and "WOO WOO WOO...KENNY WU!"

I KNEW you would get this reference!! You and @blackthidot (but he never reads my TR's!!) haha love me some Flying V!!! Ashley and I regularly use the lines "Hey cake eater you wanna play some really hockey?", "Too slow big boy!!" and "2 minutes well worth it!!" How can you not quote those AMAZING movies!! :)

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
I KNEW you would get this reference!! You and @blackthidot (but he never reads my TR's!!) haha love me some Flying V!!! Ashley and I regularly use the lines "Hey cake eater you wanna play some really hockey?", "Too slow big boy!!" and "2 minutes well worth it!!" How can you not quote those AMAZING movies!! :)

I am not reading it till it's done. AND I can't see pics at work cause they block photobucket and Flickr.

wild01ride

Ok now let's switch from sarcasm to rude logic. If her lovely little spawn is legally blind...does it really matter where she's 'viewing' Illuminations from? Sorry to anyone blind that's readi.....Oh wait never mind.

LOL!!!

(Honestly speaking though, if she is legally blind - which doesn't necessarily mean she can't see anything - is it really making a difference for the child to be 399 yards away from the center of the show rather than 400 yards away???)

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
LOL!!!

(Honestly speaking though, if she is legally blind - which doesn't necessarily mean she can't see anything - is it really making a difference for the child to be 399 yards away from the center of the show rather than 400 yards away???)

I hear what you're saying. I have a friend who is legally blind. She can still SEE, but she can't drive because some shapes and stuff aren't 100% clear to her and she uses a walking stick. So I'm guessing if the little girl was anywhere around WS Lagoon, it would probably look the same unless she was right up like 10 feet from the globe!!

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
loving your report so far!! Excellent pictures of World Showcase and of Illuminations. What kind of camera do you use?

Thank you! I have a Nikon D3100 and I was just using the regular kit lens that comes with it. I have a 55ml lens but I don't typically use that unless I'm doing the indoor pics (like SSE and Pirates) :)

disneyfan1995

Thank you! I have a Nikon D3100 and I was just using the regular kit lens that comes with it. I have a 55ml lens but I don't typically use that unless I'm doing the indoor pics (like SSE and Pirates) :)

You're welcome! Okay! I'll have to look into that camera. I'm trying to upgrade from my pocket digital camera to a Nikon or a Canon.

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Great report! Rude people suck, and your photos just keep getting better!

Thanks Chris!! :)

You're welcome! Okay! I'll have to look into that camera. I'm trying to upgrade from my pocket digital camera to a Nikon or a Canon.

It's a really good starter camera. I got it for Christmas last year so I'm still learning all about it. I really like it and it's easy to use.

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Wednesday Sept 26 - Day 3!!

We woke up bright and early and headed down to the food court for some brekky! I had chocolate chip pancakes and Mom had an omlet. Mmmmm... yummy!!

47201c4f-e4fc-48e4-aada-ce1b9bf439cf_zpsa3ada33b.jpg

9f43ac49-8907-4a46-81bb-e17d79661bee_zps53ed1f5b.jpg

We were excited because Ashley would be arriving later on!! YAY!!

We were out to the bus stop and on a bus less than 5 minutes later to....

926ec3bc-38f9-4b54-a50a-32ea39ecc3c9_zps8e9f14e5.jpg

MGM!! OK, I know it's really called Hollywood Studios now but it will ALWAYS be MGM to us!! :)

bda3ddfe-6b3c-45dd-a1eb-a8a104a2b903_zpse7aed5d8.jpg

f77e7513-e3ec-4bf4-b09e-435ef408e54d_zps8cfd6096.jpg

6d76bd73-e820-465c-a78f-941ec755699d_zpsb6b15486.jpg

8b911908-820c-4b31-9d71-be57ce7d3808_zpsb0ba9a18.jpg

Mom headed to get FP for TSM while I walked onto Rock N Roller Coaster.

6d3668ff-da49-4fb6-8dcc-09ed47838483_zps654459bb.jpg

9e286a13-d286-42bb-9bdb-e063ce8a59fa_zps7fd99832.jpg

When I was done, the line had climbed to 30 minutes so I hopped over to the Tower of Terror which had a posted wait time of 5 minutes. Only it wasn't 5 minutes and I ended up waiting about 20. They only had one side loading in the boiler room. Booooo. Tower was awesome though. This was the first time I have gone on these rides by myself.

After Tower, we meandered back down Sunset and went through Pixar Place towards the Streets of America..

3ee6a712-47a9-4c6e-9827-f106bd7adc4f_zps29103b76.jpg

254c19b9-859f-4cbb-9ea9-d7f5206f1bd2_zps2a4e062f.jpg

1d69e19c-5a62-45fc-a958-91e6068d3952_zps04a38282.jpg

20349f2b-f86e-4f0d-9139-1bd22a86fbcb_zps935db3b8.jpg

64035de1-c86a-443a-aefb-144c49b6acfd_zps78b3e370.jpg

f89fc4ac-dacc-4579-af0e-2b56582d48a6_zps42b29e94.jpg

35660e38-b6da-444f-96b3-84426128be43_zpsce3f0a0c.jpg

You could see the lights already being put up for the Christmas season!!

35e3b065-f35c-41b6-9e0a-934de3ac28f3_zpsb5acb678.jpg

36c23be4-6e9f-401d-9f88-c3de6ac05614_zps15eff7da.jpg

TheMouseFan

I also tend to call it MGM instead of DHS! Riding TOT and Rock N Roller Coaster by yourself just isn't the same. It's still fun and I certainly didn't pass up the opportunity back in December, but it's just better when you have someone to share it with! Can't wait to read more!

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
I also tend to call it MGM instead of DHS! Riding TOT and Rock N Roller Coaster by yourself just isn't the same. It's still fun and I certainly didn't pass up the opportunity back in December, but it's just better when you have someone to share it with! Can't wait to read more!

Absolutely agree with you! :) My sister and I usually ride together but sometimes we will do the single rider line for RNRC. We usually get an extra 2-3 rides per trip by doing that as opposed to standing in the regular line. We get to wait in line together, but not ride together. And that's ok. We can't talk on the ride anyway :p

plaz10

Absolutely agree with you! :) My sister and I usually ride together but sometimes we will do the single rider line for RNRC. We usually get an extra 2-3 rides per trip by doing that as opposed to standing in the regular line. We get to wait in line together, but not ride together. And that's ok. We can't talk on the ride anyway :p

Usually we ride RnRC and then if we are with other people - they will all want to ride ToT and while they do that I ride RnRC single rider. I always talk to my partner (they probs think I'm total weirdo...which I'm so NOTo_O) like "is this your first time?" "do you like roller coasters?" I rode with a little kid last time and it was his first ride - we talked the whole time until launch. He was adorable!

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Usually we ride RnRC and then if we are with other people - they will all want to ride ToT and while they do that I ride RnRC single rider. I always talk to my partner (they probs think I'm total weirdo...which I'm so NOTo_O) like "is this your first time?" "do you like roller coasters?" I rode with a little kid last time and it was his first ride - we talked the whole time until launch. He was adorable!

The single rider line is the way to go! Ashley was super nervous to try it because she though the person she was riding with "would think she's a huge loser for screaming the whole time" haha.

It's fun riding with people who have never been on before. My cousin Noah is 18 and has been to HS and MK with us in 2010 and my other cousin Sadie who's 13 went to MK with us but not DHS. And neither have been to AK or Epcot since Noah was 9 and Sadie was 5. So neither one of them remember it much and they haven't been on Test Track, Soarin or EE so we are excited to bring them in May :) I brought Noah on RNRC and Tower on his 6th birthday. He was JUST tall enough to ride and he really wanted to. Brave kid!! At 6 years old I would barely go on HM let alone a ride that goes upside down!! haha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom