Does Disney ruin all of your other vacations?

tinkfan05

Original Poster
My family and I are leaving for Washington DC and Hershey in a little over a month, and I am also going to WDW in Oct. with my best friend. Even with my family vacation so close, ALL I can think about is my Disney vacation. I know I'll have fun in DC, but for me, nothing can compare to the joy I get from looking forward to my WDW vacations. Is anyone else out there like this?

littlered

no, it does not ruin my ohter vactions. I agree, nothing is better than the joy of Disney but I don't let that influence my other vactions. I will have fun anywhere as long as I am not at work or home worrying about day to day stuff. Just enjoy the others for what they are and keep counting down the days till you're at the Happiest Place on Earth.:wave:

I think we are flipped out of the same mold. We have a huge family vacation planned. Me my four siblings their spouses, my mother, father, grandmother and daughter have rented a huge beachfront house in Destin this summer. We also have a trip to Dallas planned to stay at the GreatWolfe waterpark.

I DON'T CARE about anything but Disney in Sept. Well, not I don't care, but I am way more excited about Disney. All I talk about is Disney and I feel like I am devaluing my other vacations.

I am a planner so I started to look into next years Sept Vacation. Will it be CA (including DisneyLand) or NYC (including NYC World of Disney). I am also trying to work in a Disney Cruise in the next few years.

We did go to DC this past October and had a great time. My 2 year old even liked it as far as two year olds can like DC. I went to Hershey about 4 years ago and it was fantastic as well.

All I can say is a Disney Junkie will always be a Disney Junkie.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Let`s see....

WDW 2001
DLP 2002
nothing 2003,2004
DLP 2005
nothing 2006
WDW 2007
DLP, WDW 2008
DLP 2009
DLC 2010
WDW 2011
DLP 2012

Nope... can`t say it does :D

fosse76

Sorry, but Disney, while a fun place to visit, is not the end-all of vacations. It doesn't even come close to topping the pyramids of Egypt, or being at the top of the Eiffel Tower, or wandering around Rome. Doesn't come close to the restaurants and lights of Broadway in New York, or the countryside of Germany, or the majesty of the Alps. I feel sorry for anyone who would think those destinations are subpar compared to Disney. At the end of the day, Disney is a bunch of well-managed theme parks. Nothing more.

Dukeblue1016

For me... it almost makes my other vacations more meaningful/valuable...

What I mean by that is... I basically vacation either in Disney or somewhere relaxing... therefore; my relaxing vacations are just as treasured to me as Disney is since Disney gives me the opposite of relaxation.

Like this past year I went to Disney in January and then to Aruba in March... by the time I got home from Disney I didn't have the usual "shoot... back to the real world and I won't be going back to Disney for at least a year..." blues (I mean I still did a little) but for the most part I was like "oh my god I'm so exhausted I cannot WAIT to lay on the beach and do NOTHING allllll day long..."

which is simply the mentality I use... okay I'm not going to Disney on this vacation; but this vacation has "x" to offer which Disney does not...

certainly you can relax in Disney... but not like you did in say Aruba, or even up in Maine...

So... DC like you said will be fun; and there is plenty of things DC has to offer that Disney does not so you just have to focus on those things; and when the trip is over... THEN get excited for Disney...

it ruins ANY vacation to be looking forward to the next one before you've even gone on the first...

wedway71

Even though I like other places I do agree I feel WDW is the best place to do.

Few years back, we went on a Carnival Cruise out of Cape Canaveral.

Of course,the ship next to us was the Disney Magic. It actually left the same time we did and followed us out to sea.The Disney ship kept playing the "when you wish upon a star" ship horns for about an hour behind us.

I had a great time on my ship but kept saying "next time' we will do Disney.

And of course when we got to the Bahamas...Guess which ship was right next to mine????

MicheleK

I understand completely! I'm at my happiest when I'm either planning a Disney vacation or actually on a Disney vacation. My husband had asked if we could take a break a few years back, and where he's such a good sport about going every year, I said "Sure". We did a Royal Carribean cruise instead. While I had a nice time, it didn't give me the same feeling as Disney. While we're at Disney, we do everything as a family. On the cruise, my oldest (16 at the time) we never saw except meals (which we made him join us) and then bed time. My daughter (10 at the time) was always in the "Adventurers Club" or just hanging out with us at the pool. It did give my husband and I some alone time, but I'd much rather do things as a family like we do at Disney. There aren't too many years left that the kids will want to be with mom and dad, so I'd rather enjoy this time with them at Disney.........Just my 2 cents.

There was one year that was the absolute best vacation. We spent one week in Disney and then five days on a Royal Caribbean cruise, then three more days back in an Orlando relaxing in a wonderful 2 bed. 2 bath. townhouse. It gave us all the best of "all" worlds. Wish we could afford that every year!!! :wave:

KaliSplash

No, it really doesn't. While trips to Disney have dominated our vacation plans since my soon-to-be wife introduced me to WDW back in 1979, we have done a number of other things and thoroughly enjoyed them.

Which is not to say I'm not anxiously awaiting our next trip. We haven't seen the world since the summer of 05.

3fordisney

It affects our other vacations because we love the service and attention to detail you get at WDW. Other vacation spots don't quite offer the same experience. Don't get me wrong. We go to the beach and mountains and enjoy the time we spend together. We have only 1 child so each trip is done to the fullest. We know he will one day leave us. We are trying to get over him graduating kindergarten next week. We can't think about when he will leave us.

WDW offers something most places cannot duplicate. Its the ability to leave the "real world" behind and truly feeling free while there. We haven't had the same experience anywhere else. :dazzle:

It kinda does for me. I have the wrong mentality about it though. I say I spent X amount of money on this vacation, which I could have just put toward another disney vacation.

But like someone else said, Disney isnt exactly the most relaxing vacation usually so its nice to do other things sometimes that are more relaxing

shawn

It Has For Us We Went To Jamacia And The Whole Time We Thaought Wow We Should Have Went To Disney World It Was Nice But Not Disney World

k.hunter30

No way!!!

I love WDW just as much as any other poster, but there are too many other fun and BEAUTIFUL places to see and things to do on this planet.

Now, if you were to ask if Disney ruins all other theme parks that I visit... well, yeah, maybe. ;)

Disney05

Yes it does. My wife will suggest a place to go and I'll just say no. We went years without going anywhere, then we started going to Disney. Now that's the only place I want to go. Maybe one day I'll get bored with it, but untill then we'll keep staying at different places at the world.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Honestly it's not truly a 'getaway' for me unless WDW is involved. I can take vacations, but nothing compares to walking through the gates at Epcot for me. I might go on trips that I enjoy, but WDW is what I look forward to the most.

2gether

It affects our other vacations because we love the service and attention to detail you get at WDW. Other vacation spots don't quite offer the same experience. Don't get me wrong. We go to the beach and mountains and enjoy the time we spend together. We have only 1 child so each trip is done to the fullest. We know he will one day leave us. We are trying to get over him graduating kindergarten next week. We can't think about when he will leave us.

WDW offers something most places cannot duplicate. Its the ability to leave the "real world" behind and truly feeling free while there. We haven't had the same experience anywhere else. :dazzle:

This is a great post, and is how I feel. The level of service is much higher at WDW. For every good experience with a waiter/bellboy/etc. at another vacation destination we have 10 at WDW, and for every bad experience we have at WDW, we have 10 elsewhere.

Not to say the people there are perfect, but they are BETTER. We talk about it every time we go somewhere else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom