Does Disney ruin all of your other vacations?

MousDad

Okay, okay. After listening to the level-headed, rational advice of all you thoughtful posters, I have decided I am being too narrow-minded. Yep, that's right, I'm planning next year's vacation non-Disney.

Let's see, where shall we start. Maybe the national parks? I've always wanted to see Yellowstone. [thinks about Wilderness Lodge - stop it!]

Oops, where was I? Oh yeah, I've got it. How about...a trip up the east coast. Atlantic city maybe? I hear they have a great boardwalk. [Boardwalk - aaack!]

Anyway, staying focused here, Um...a trip to DC...my own backyard...yeah that's great. Take some time to soak in the history, learn to appreciate all the golden dreams that make up the great American Adventure. [Sweet mother of Abraham Lincoln!]

[shakes it off] Better yet - an active vacation! That'll take my mind off things. Maybe some hiking through the White mountains. I always wanted to climb Mt. Washington. It's no Everest, but [oooooooh, that hurt!]

I know, I'll cruise down to the Keys for some water sports. Boating, fishing, soarin' in a parasail [gasp!]

Africa!! Not a Disney park in sight! Yes! Kenya looks really cool. They have those really cool animal park lodges there, right on the savannah, safaris right out your door, great views of that awesome mountain - what's it called - oh yeah, Kilamanjaro! [slaps self in face.]

Forget it. I obviously need professional help. Now where did my Unofficial Guide go to?

RedBaron

I would never say it ruins ALL of my vacations for me, since I have been to many places that I enjoy very much and keep going back. I will say that if we go somewhere and I am not having a nice time (which is actually pretty rare, but does happen), in the back of my head I keep saying "we should have just gone to WDW". I will say that I have no desire to visit theme parks anywhere else. I live within an hour of a Six Flags and have no desire to go there again (not that I ever really want to go there since roller coasters are not my thing and that is just about all there is to do there). I did have a few good laughs reading this thread since other people's ideas of a good time are so much different than mine. Then again maybe I am jaded living in Chicago and there are museums and such right here at my doorstep. But let me say this, if someone asked me if I would rather go to a bunch of museums, monuments, battlefields or cemeteries you could guarantee that I would say "no thanks, I would much rather go to WDW". :wave:

being from the DC Metro area, i personally never view DC as a vacation location, just because its practically my backyard! i go to chinatown, just to go to the movie theater there! so its always funny when i hear people talking about an awesome vacation in DC, because it shows how much i really do take it for granted some times. it really is an awesome city, that i feel often gets overlooked in favor or New York or Philly. i would imagine its just like how some people who live near WDW (not people on these boards, haha) view WDW as a simple day trip, and not a major vacation that those who live far away view it as!

btw, if youre ever in DC you need to check out the Botanical Gardens and the cafeteria at the Native American Musuem... INCREDIBLE food. the rest of the museum... eh....

Iknewagirlnamed

i go to chinatown, just to go to the movie theater there!

btw, if youre ever in DC you need to check out the Botanical Gardens and the cafeteria at the Native American Musuem... INCREDIBLE food. the rest of the museum... eh....

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL: DC's Chinatown? you mean "commercial department stores with chinese writing underneath-town?"

I agree, The Native American Museum's food is amazing. So is the Botanical Gardens

daliseurat

That's an interesting question. I'd be perfectly happy to take all my vacations at DLR or WDW. So many choices in one location with top notch service.

My wife on the other hand would rather NEVER go. So we have to switch back and forth.

I agree with another poster who puts WDW in perspective. It provides a TASTE of foreign countries, of various locales around the country of real experiences. It provides tremendous entertainment. Terrific attractions. While it could ruin the experience of going to another THEMEPARK, there really is nothing that compares to really going white water rafting, or tubing through a cave filled with mayan ruins or, hiking the mountains, or snorkling in Belize, or just plain visiting the cultures around the world. So, no WDW doesn't ruin any other vacations for me. It's another experience to be had. And one I generally would choose first. But I try to enjoy wherever I go to the fullest.

Dukeblue1016

Say I only went to Disney all of my life and never traveled anywhere else. By the time I was older I would deeply regret it.

Disney is my one true love and I don't believe any place else could top it, but that doesn't stop me from exploring all of the great destinations around the World. :)

Perfect. Absolutely Perfect. Could not have possibly said it better myself... somewhat what I was trying to get at; but not that well put...

Like you said, Disney is definitely my favorite place to vacation; my true love as you put it; so... does that mean one year I can't chose to go to Colorado over it because I really enjoy skiing which would be a completely different experience and provide an entirely different vacation?

Or, go to Italy and see Rome (I am desperate to do this) because I am fascinated with Rome after taking 5 LONG years of Latin and really studying a lot of its history...

When I'm old and grey and my time is almost up... if I didn't skip Disney a few times so that I could take in other Cultures and see Scotland for it's Castles, history, and because Braveheart is my favorite movie, or go to Ireland because I'm Irish, or go to Rome to take in all it's history I studied for five years... or go skiing in Colorado, or relax on a tropical island... or study my nation's history in DC... go to the Jersey Shores with my children which isn't 1/100th as nice as it was when I was kid, but it was my childhood vacation... or take time to relax in Maine with family...

if I didn't do those things as well... I'd feel my 35th through 40th trips to Disney all would have been wasted because I didn't take time to take in as much as I could and experience as many different things as possibly...

Mikester71

Kinda for me. We use to go to Niagara Falls with the kids every couple of years because it is close and is actually pretty reasonable during the off-season. But since our first trip to WDW in March 2005, I haven't really wanted to go anywhere else. I know after our next family trip next March me and my wife are thinking of going somewhere alone on our 20th anniversary in a few years and she mentioned WDW (weird, considering I'm the Disney nut in the family). I am thinking more along the lines of Jamaica or somewhere down south. Will have to see in 3 years if I regret my decision or not - haha!

tigfan

Okay, okay. After listening to the level-headed, rational advice of all you thoughtful posters, I have decided I am being too narrow-minded. Yep, that's right, I'm planning next year's vacation non-Disney.

Let's see, where shall we start. Maybe the national parks? I've always wanted to see Yellowstone. [thinks about Wilderness Lodge - stop it!]

Oops, where was I? Oh yeah, I've got it. How about...a trip up the east coast. Atlantic city maybe? I hear they have a great boardwalk. [Boardwalk - aaack!]

Anyway, staying focused here, Um...a trip to DC...my own backyard...yeah that's great. Take some time to soak in the history, learn to appreciate all the golden dreams that make up the great American Adventure. [Sweet mother of Abraham Lincoln!]

[shakes it off] Better yet - an active vacation! That'll take my mind off things. Maybe some hiking through the White mountains. I always wanted to climb Mt. Washington. It's no Everest, but [oooooooh, that hurt!]

I know, I'll cruise down to the Keys for some water sports. Boating, fishing, soarin' in a parasail [gasp!]

Africa!! Not a Disney park in sight! Yes! Kenya looks really cool. They have those really cool animal park lodges there, right on the savannah, safaris right out your door, great views of that awesome mountain - what's it called - oh yeah, Kilamanjaro! [slaps self in face.]

Forget it. I obviously need professional help. Now where did my Unofficial Guide go to?

This is a funny (and creative) post. But in all sincerity, none of the Disney versions of the examples you gave really do the real things justice. Also, how exactly does Expedition Everest equate to going hiking?

MousDad

This is a funny (and creative) post. But in all sincerity, none of the Disney versions of the examples you gave really do the real things justice. Also, how exactly does Expedition Everest equate to going hiking?

I know. None of my posts were meant to be taken seriously. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom