Does Disney ruin all of your other vacations?

skippah

No way, not at all. If anything, my Disney vacations have actually enhanced my other vacations because I can put those same planning skills to use in other venues. I do a lot more research now for vacations than I used to. They're not cheap, so don't take them for granted!!

And I'll go through the travel books to make sure I know about the major attraction but also the smaller "hidden gems" off the beaten path, just like I would for a Disney vacation.

Case in point, on a recent DC trip, we took a day tip to Annapolis and had a great time as we visited the Naval Academey, sailed along the harbor and explored the shops. Another day we had a blast at the Annex of the Air and Space Museum out by Washington-Dulles Airport (it's where they keep the BIG stuff... the Concorde, the Shuttle Enterprise, etc.).

But we only did those things because I had read up on things in advance and did some real planning instead of just "winging it" like I used to do...

palmage

Sorry, but Disney, while a fun place to visit, is not the end-all of vacations. It doesn't even come close to topping the pyramids of Egypt, or being at the top of the Eiffel Tower, or wandering around Rome. Doesn't come close to the restaurants and lights of Broadway in New York, or the countryside of Germany, or the majesty of the Alps. I feel sorry for anyone who would think those destinations are subpar compared to Disney. At the end of the day, Disney is a bunch of well-managed theme parks. Nothing more.
Couldn't agree more...
Disney is a wonderful place, but there are so many places to see and things to do in this world.

doop

Nah, while I love WDW, I can still appreciate other types of vacations. I'm especially interested in traveling to Europe sometime.

urbanvegan

That would be so sad, if Disney was the be-all end-all of vacations.

Disney World is great, but there is a whole other Actual world to explore and experience.

I really love my trips to WDW - but I went in Oct 06 & Jan 07, then Oct 07 and Jan 08, and this year I'm doing Oct 08 and then Jan 09. Honestly, the January trips get to be a little "been there, done that" after a few days. That's why we do shorter trips now, just 4 or 5 days.

Nemo14

I enjoy our Disney trips, but I've also loved all the other trips we've taken. There's so much to see in this world, and it isn't all at WDW!

OldLiner

No. Quite the opposite effect, as a matter of fact. WDW is greatness, but the problem is most of it is fake.

When I visit one of our national parks like Yellowstone and see all of the wildlife or the Grand Canyon, the Rockies, Arches, Everglades, etc., I always think to myself, WOW!! And unlike the stuff at WDW, everything here is REAL, which makes the non-Disney places seem even more impressive.

yankspy

No way, not at all. If anything, my Disney vacations have actually enhanced my other vacations because I can put those same planning skills to use in other venues. I do a lot more research now for vacations than I used to. They're not cheap, so don't take them for granted!!

And I'll go through the travel books to make sure I know about the major attraction but also the smaller "hidden gems" off the beaten path, just like I would for a Disney vacation.

Case in point, on a recent DC trip, we took a day tip to Annapolis and had a great time as we visited the Naval Academey, sailed along the harbor and explored the shops. Another day we had a blast at the Annex of the Air and Space Museum out by Washington-Dulles Airport (it's where they keep the BIG stuff... the Concorde, the Shuttle Enterprise, etc.).

But we only did those things because I had read up on things in advance and did some real planning instead of just "winging it" like I used to do...
Did you visit St. John's college next to the academy? As far as the original question, I approach each vacation differently. When I go to disney I am thinking of fun. When I go to Europe I am thinking of beautiful art and architecture that will inspire me. When I go visit my parents I am thinking about spending some quality time with them. When I go to a historical place in America (Which is often) I am going to do a lot of thinking. All of these are equally enjoyable in their own way.

maggiegrace1

Sorry, but Disney, while a fun place to visit, is not the end-all of vacations. It doesn't even come close to topping the pyramids of Egypt, or being at the top of the Eiffel Tower, or wandering around Rome. Doesn't come close to the restaurants and lights of Broadway in New York, They have the streets of New York at MGM or the countryside of Germany, or the majesty of the Alps. I feel sorry for anyone who would think those destinations are subpar compared to Disney. At the end of the day, Disney is a bunch of well-managed theme parks. Nothing more.
You can see all that and more at World Showcase at EPCOT!..:):sohappy:

Disney World is great, but there is a whole other Actual world to explore and experience.

I really love my trips to WDW - but I went in Oct 06 & Jan 07, then Oct 07 and Jan 08, and this year I'm doing Oct 08 and then Jan 09. Honestly, the January trips get to be a little "been there, done that" after a few days. That's why we do shorter trips now, just 4 or 5 days.
See...Just not interested....:shrug:

We were supposed to go somewhere else this past March and I just could not...I did go on a cruise and loved it and will do that agin probably next year..A Disney cruise though :D

I just really do not have much desire to go anywhere else...maybe one day I will but I always come back to a Disney park on the way back from wherever else I visit..:lol:..it just makes me HAPPY!:)

danpam1024

It affects our other vacations because we love the service and attention to detail you get at WDW. Other vacation spots don't quite offer the same experience. Don't get me wrong. We go to the beach and mountains and enjoy the time we spend together. We have only 1 child so each trip is done to the fullest. We know he will one day leave us. We are trying to get over him graduating kindergarten next week. We can't think about when he will leave us.

WDW offers something most places cannot duplicate. Its the ability to leave the "real world" behind and truly feeling free while there. We haven't had the same experience anywhere else. :dazzle:

I think you read my mind! When we go to other destinations, I ALWAYS compare the hotel / service to Disney:king:, although nothing truly compares. We also have 1 DS, graduating kindergarten (in June):cry:. Disney provides us the escape and family bonding that we have not found anywhere else. I hope to be able to plan DS engagement, then wedding there:lol:

EPCOT Explorer

Sorry, but Disney, while a fun place to visit, is not the end-all of vacations. It doesn't even come close to topping the pyramids of Egypt, or being at the top of the Eiffel Tower, or wandering around Rome. Doesn't come close to the restaurants and lights of Broadway in New York, or the countryside of Germany, or the majesty of the Alps. I feel sorry for anyone who would think those destinations are subpar compared to Disney. At the end of the day, Disney is a bunch of well-managed theme parks. Nothing more.
Very true.I LOVE visiting Disney but the magic of the real world is much more amazing.

LoriMistress

Two years ago, DH, my cousin Bobby, and myself went to Magic Mountain, and though some of the rides were great, the park itself--and the environment was god awful.

Disneykidder

WDW is addicting..really, it is. The need/urge to go every year is intoxicating. I treasure all of my trips and look forward to going.

With that said, I value all of my other vacations, too. In March we went to the Great Wolf Lodge in PA. It was so awesome. I am deciding on when to go back with a group of friends and their families. We go to Hershey every summer and it is amazing. Since I live in NY, I am able to go to NYC anytime I want. Been there thousands and it is still amazing to me. I was there last week, in fact. My DS4 1/2 loves it there. (Yes, WOD on 55th and 5th is awesome!!)

I understand that "Disney itch" but it doesn't make any of my other family vacations any less special.:)

wdwmomof3

My family and I are leaving for Washington DC and Hershey in a little over a month, and I am also going to WDW in Oct. with my best friend. Even with my family vacation so close, ALL I can think about is my Disney vacation. I know I'll have fun in DC, but for me, nothing can compare to the joy I get from looking forward to my WDW vacations. Is anyone else out there like this?

I am with you on this! While I love our trips to the beach and Gatlinburg and other trips that we take, I always wish we were going to Disney. I HATE to spend money on other vacations when I feel like I should be saving it for Disney. My problem is that my Dh thinks that we shouldn't go to Disney every year, to keep it a special place. :hammer: One of these days he will get it, I hope.

davidpw97

This is exactly how I feel. With so many awesome thing to see in the real world I just don't think I could stand only going to Disney. Last October I spent a few days in South Dakota and visited Mt. Rushmore, the black hills, Devil's Tower, Badlands and very few things at Disney can compare to the beauty I saw while in this part of the country. I kinda wish I could go back in time and trade some of my Disney trips for trips to other parts of the country/world. Sometimes I think i've been missing out by going to Disney nearly every year instead of Alaska, or Italy, or Australia or any of the thousands of awesome places this planet has to offer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom