Does anyone know when the Brazilian Tour groups usually show up?

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
They were brutal this past weekend. As were crowds in general, touring plans didn't this weekend correct, or in the ball park really.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They were brutal this past weekend. As were crowds in general, touring plans didn't this weekend correct, or in the ball park really.

January just is not slow anymore...and couple that with the shortest days of the year and weather inconsistency...it makes it one of the least attractive times to visit anymore.

It's off my calendar when not more than 8 years or so ago it was always on.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
January just is not slow anymore...and couple that with the shortest days of the year and weather inconsistency...it makes it one of the least attractive times to visit anymore.

It's off my calendar when not more than 8 years or so ago it was always on.
I went a couple years ago in 2016 for a week, and had a fantastic time with minimal waits. I think going forward we will either not go in January anymore or if we do, only go to the parks on Tuesday - Thursday where I feel the crowds are much thinner. September was my other go to time, but with kids having Fall breaks now, its looking like there really isn't a better time to go now.

OneofThree

I'm fairly "local", and was in AK the second week of January. Let's just say it felt like a major project just to walk, it was so crowded. WDW has two seasons now -busy, and ridiculous. The weeks after Thanksgiving but before Christmas used to be fairly nice, but no more. From what I've seen, the only respite remaining is during the week from the end of August through October, outside of Labor Day.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm fairly "local", and was in AK the second week of January. Let's just say it felt like a major project just to walk, it was so crowded. WDW has two seasons now -busy, and ridiculous. The weeks after Thanksgiving but before Christmas used to be fairly nice, but no more. From what I've seen, the only respite remaining is during the week from the end of August through October, outside of Labor Day.

I have to agree...it's pretty sucky most of the time

Lirael

-December and January is summer vacation, so there's a larger chance of seeing the groups
-July is winter vacation, so that's peak disney time (catching a bit of june and august but not much)
-Brazil doesn't have any amusement parks (not waterpark though) anywhere near the size of disney & orlando, so for kids wanting that kind of thing, orlando is key
-Coupled with the fact that merch in the usa tends to be cheaper(outside the parks), brazilians see orlando the ideal place to shop+have fun
-Other dates that may have some rise in groups: easter, carnaval week

Now, why groups and why so, SO, annoyingly loud?
A lot of people see groups as the most chill way to do things. Someone does all the planning for you, and you get a guide with you, which is useful if the person doesnt know much or any english (common in brazil) or wants to let their kids go with someone trustworthy. Not only that, but brazilians tend to be a partying people, so they think "the more the merrier!"

Anyway, so here we have a vacation where most of it is spent in a place thats safe and walled off (parks) and in a group with an adult to take care of the spawn teens. This becomes the ideal place for parents to feel at ease to let their kids go without them. For many kids, this becomes the first time travelling to another country and/or without their parents.

And finally: brazilian culture is generally one of loud partying, little care for personal space (see: carnaval)

Summary: So we have this 'wonderful' mix of excited teens used to a culture of loud and expansive fun, feeling free of the usual rules because parents aren't around, its an amusement park and it's another country

The line cutting is also, sadly, partly due to another aspect of brazilian culture

Last edited:

The_Jobu

I'm also noticing the accuracy of crowd calendars are seemingly slipping. I have no idea what to make of it, but there's probably a reason.

IgorAssis

Well, I'm from Brazil and I can explain for you why we are soooo irritants, according you

In Brazil, we have an festive culture, we will be always happy and funny, doesn't matter in what conditions we are... We have this feeling that you americans don't have

I'm not critizing you, but we are talking about different countries and cultures

In Brazil culture, the teens always had a dream to go to disney/orlando, because we don't have great theme parks here, and they love theme parks

So, when they go to disney, they get crazy, seriously hahahha

I really hope that one day disney could build a theme park here, but while we don't have, we will continue to go to Orlando, because we don't want to pay more for to go to Anaheim, Paris or Tokyo

Sorry for english issues

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Well, I'm from Brazil and I can explain for you why we are soooo irritants, according you

In Brazil, we have an festive culture, we will be always happy and funny, doesn't matter in what conditions we are... We have this feeling that you americans don't have

I'm not critizing you, but we are talking about different countries and cultures

In Brazil culture, the teens always had a dream to go to disney/orlando, because we don't have great theme parks here, and they love theme parks

So, when they go to disney, they get crazy, seriously hahahha

I really hope that one day disney could build a theme park here, but while we don't have, we will continue to go to Orlando, because we don't want to pay more for to go to Anaheim, Paris or Tokyo

Sorry for english issues
Thanks for the info. Hope you didn't take it personally, it was more a reference to tour groups as a whole not a specific group(culture) but it just happened to be mainly Brazilian tour groups last week. Tour groups as a whole are annoying to me, just my personal feeling, because of the larger crowds and lack of situational awareness when touring the parks. A prime example of this would be the multiple times groups would stop in the middle of the pathways, almost completely blocking them, particularly in Pandora which is an already small area. Another observation was the countless times we were cut in line throughout the weekend so they could "catch up" with their groups, which we later found out their group wasn't even in the line. These are small things in the big scheme of things but large things when it comes down to planning our next trip, which won't be in January anymore.

OneofThree

Actually, I get it better than you might think. American culture isn't always as generic as many believe.

I can appreciate the cultural difference, but the differences themselves aren't license to be completely inconsiderate of all others. Just a little consideration goes a long way -like not cutting people in line who are also trying to enjoy their vacations. Really, I don't fault the teens, I fault the adults responsible for them.

JohnD

Planning a trip in 2018, just wondering. Haven't exactly heard.................shall we say..................positive reviews when these groups show up.

Is that like asking when the Monarch butterflies arrive at the Gulf of Mexico? Or when manatees show up in Florida's springs? How about when is Canadian Goose nesting season?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Is that like asking when the Monarch butterflies arrive at the Gulf of Mexico? Or when manatees show up in Florida's springs? How about when is Canadian Goose nesting season?

Most of us Canadians are fine if you happen to "run over" the geese by accident. They aren't friendly birds by any means. Yeah, yeah, it is our "national bird" but it isn't like an American Eagle or anything, no Canadian gets patriotic about geese.

JohnD

Most of us Canadians are fine if you happen to "run over" the geese by accident. They aren't friendly birds by any means. Yeah, yeah, it is our "national bird" but it isn't like an American Eagle or anything, no Canadian gets patriotic about geese.

They're mean birds though. They have an annual migration to an office building where I work in Tallahassee. Stay clear when they're nesting or you'll get it.

Captain Barbossa

They're mean birds though. They have an annual migration to an office building where I work in Tallahassee. Stay clear when they're nesting or you'll get it.
The way that I deal with geese, is with a Remington 1100 ;)

StarWarsGirl

We find that they are the worst in January/February, not so bad in the summer. I can't remember seeing one in August.

That being said, the benefits of going that time of year outweigh their annoyance. We just walk around them. For the ones who are from Argentina and such, they are usually shocked to hear Spanish coming out of my mouth telling them to behave themselves.

WDWVolFan

May before kids get out is supposedly the best time. April spring break and Easter crowds.

There is some kind of sweet fifteen right of passage for Brazilian girls and boys. And somehow this has become associated with going to Disney world.

And the Brazilian. Tour groups bring over these teens in waves to populate the park.

But it's not just the Brazilian it's all of South America because Jan-march is their summer vacation.
It’s a big deal, like a sweet 16 birthday present.

All major cities in Brazil literally have more than one travel agency chattering planes and sending dozens of groups daily for like 10 days straight.

I was one of them back in 1997 lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom