Does anyone else have a spouse that hates Disney?

loveofamouse

What do you do?:shrug:

My husband hates Disney. I swear he tries to make sure I don't have a good time, either. I usually ignore him or shut him up with a beer or cigarette. lol. We avg. 1 trip a year. I've tried getting him involved in the other entertainment Disney offers. Nope, he won't spend the money. I've offered to stay in the cabins (he's a self-proclaimed nature guy). Nope, he doesn't like the parking rules there. I've asked him to plan a family vacay he wants to do. Nope, he's a "man and planning is for women." (hey, I never claimed he was mature:p). I am seriously considering not bringing him for the next trip. Ive gone to the World without him before when he was deployed. What do you do when you live with such a nay sayer?:confused:

MickeyPeace

I don't think anyone was bickering. You brought the issue of your relationship to the board. If you are happy in your relationship, great! I think everyone here reacted to what initially sounded like a controlling downer of a husband who used your love of Disney against you.
I for one hope you are happy in your marriage. Again my advice to you would be to go on your own or with friends. Clearly you dont want to give up Disney vacations.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Honestly, I have no issue with hunting. My DH just gets annoying about it. :lol: Right now, I'm giving him slack cause he's spent so much money on it and time away but hasn't brought home ANYTHING.:rolleyes:

I just noticed this post....be careful what you wish for...he may bring home his and her hunting outfits!

Upvote 0

NadieMasK2

Somehow I am reminded of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MIBxhh_R_w&feature=player_embedded
:lol:

At first my DH was just, eh, on WDW. He had a good time once he got there but up until that point complained endlessly about the money. Slowly over the years he has started to like it more and more, and then one year it happened: Food and Wine festival and Boma at AKL. He LOVED those things, and last year HE actually suggested we make a last-minute trip in October for F&W. I think there is something there that will hook your DH, you've just got to find it. Good luck!! As much as I love my friends and family it's just not the same as being with your spouse.

Upvote 0

minniemickeyfan

Sorry to hear that. Maybe even if he doesn't want to plan the trip, he would tell you what he likes and dislikes while there, and then you could plan from there. Good luck.

Upvote 0

sueuk

My husband loves WDW and is keen to visit DL one of these days, but he has been to DLP only once, years ago and has no interest in going back - so DLP is where I go on girls trips, and he enjoys hearing about it when I get home:).

Upvote 0

tman2000

I've noticed that dear others who didn't do Disney as a kid, don't quite 'get' it when they're older. They might admit that there's something nice about the parks - especially if the CM service happens to be up to par that time - but there's an initial "How is this not just for kids?" or "How is this not just the same as Six Flags?" or "What is the point of a stupid Mickey Mouse land?" or something.

People with Disneyland backgrounds too, even sometimes 'don't get it'. Disneyland is a day trip, and not hardly as big a deal as a DW trip.

I think there's something about going to DW as a kid, staying on property for more than one or two days, and having at least one chance to come back again later. DW becomes something on the order of Christmas at that point.

As for me, I've decided that (outside of a few easy and obvious factors and traits to notice and deal with) the deciding factor for future dearW is whether or not she likes Disney. For so many reasons, it's the perfect test. Does she like kids, and like it when kids have fun? Is she imaginative, but also likes doing and seeing things in real life? The expense of Disney - is it worth more than a car, or washer, or smaller trips, or a trip to some boring beach? Is the charm of Disney lasting, so that even being an adult and multiple trips won't change her mind about it. Is there that undying innocence and longing for innocence and wonder and clean fun and so forth to go along with this?

See? Disney = good test.

But back to existing spouses: definitely make it about the kids. Definitely take spouse time (babysitting club things). Definitely set reasonable expectations to minimize stress. Think of it as the only important things you need to worry about are: being there, and being together. No ToT? No Space Mountain? Fine, buy a funnel cake at Sleepy Hollow and people watch in the shadow of Cinderella's castle. Or better yet, flame tree. Yyyyyuuuuummmmmmm.

Upvote 0

loveofamouse

Original Poster
I've noticed that dear others who didn't do Disney as a kid, don't quite 'get' it when they're older. They might admit that there's something nice about the parks - especially if the CM service happens to be up to par that time - but there's an initial "How is this not just for kids?" or "How is this not just the same as Six Flags?" or "What is the point of a stupid Mickey Mouse land?" or something.

People with Disneyland backgrounds too, even sometimes 'don't get it'. Disneyland is a day trip, and not hardly as big a deal as a DW trip.

I think there's something about going to DW as a kid, staying on property for more than one or two days, and having at least one chance to come back again later. DW becomes something on the order of Christmas at that point.

I do think this could be a large part of it. DH didn't go to ANY theme parks until he was with me. He's from NM and his parents didn't take them to anything like that. The closest he's been to a theme park atmosphere is Vegas:lol:. That's his main statement:Why do we need to go sooo often??? What's fun about waiting for 45+min for a 2min ride?? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

lebeau

I just discovered this thread. (Can't wait to read every post!) But I'd definitely a member of this club. Just read the trip report in my sig for the gory details!

Upvote 0

pipesmoker1966

Well, I am a DH who thought I would HATE WDW. Wow, was I wrong. I absolutely love it, and it was worth missing the first week of deer season for. Well, if your husband doesn't want to go with you, just tell him that I will, and we will have a good time ;)

Upvote 0
What do you do?:shrug:

My husband hates Disney. I swear he tries to make sure I don't have a good time, either. I usually ignore him or shut him up with a beer or cigarette. lol. We avg. 1 trip a year. I've tried getting him involved in the other entertainment Disney offers. Nope, he won't spend the money. I've offered to stay in the cabins (he's a self-proclaimed nature guy). Nope, he doesn't like the parking rules there. I've asked him to plan a family vacay he wants to do. Nope, he's a "man and planning is for women." (hey, I never claimed he was mature:p). I am seriously considering not bringing him for the next trip. Ive gone to the World without him before when he was deployed. What do you do when you live with such a nay sayer?:confused:

D-I-V-O-R-C-E
This seems like it would have come up in early discussions during the courting period, you know like, about whether to have kids or not, what religion to raise them as, whose family do we go to for holidays, "DO YOU LIKE DISNEY?". These all seem like pertinent issues and potential deal breakers in my book.

Upvote 0

yensid67

I have the same problem, but I think I may be the cause of it! I have a partner of 11 years and for the past 10 years we have been planning a WDW trip! He lived many years in California, so he went to DL many times.
I think all the planning I have done over the years and am still doing has made him insensitive to the trip in a sense! I have even gone as far as to make up a website with all our information on it, so he can view it whenever he wants to and I don't have to say a thing to him about it! It's kind of like I plan and he will go type of thing! But I know if I plan to do something that he doesn't want to do, he will make sure I know it, in the loving way he does!
But I have told him it is OUR vacation and I want his input as well so we can do things he wants to do, not just Disney but things like the beach or go to Cape Canaveral. I have it planned to a T, and if he says he doesn't like it I will hurt him seriously! LOL!
I worked for WDW and since that time I have loved everything Disney(WDW). My bedroom is Disney-fied as much as possible! He says he doesn't like Disney and doesn't care about the planning, but yet he goes out and buys me a 3' Sorcerer Mickey Statue!? :hammer:
We have plans to go on our vacation in December 2012, and after 11 years of planning I AM GOING! WITH OR WITHOUT HIM!(seriously, I will go without him!) Does anyone have any advice that you want to add? go ahead, I will welcome all advice, suggestions, and ideas!

(my apologies to the OP for using this to ask for advice, but you can see that you are not the only one that has this problem!)

Have a Magical Day!

Will
:wave: from PA!

Upvote 0

TeriofTerror

I at one time had a fiancée that hated Disney. I elected to break things off with her and marry my best friend who at the time loved Disney even more than I did. Best decision I ever made.

I've never believed in love at first sight, but the night I met the man who would eventually become my husband, he could quote lines from Disney movies and talked about how he missed Horizons. At that point I knew he was the one for me!

Upvote 0

Fashionista007

Your Husband sounds a lot like my Father. We went on our first family trip when I was 8 and he only came along on 2 trips after that. It just wasn't his thing. After that we always went without him. I think if you gave your husband the option of not going, you would both be happier. You would have a fantastic magical vacation and he would be able to have some alone time. He just might miss you so much that he'll shape up on the next trip!

Regarding his actions while he's in WDW...I think he's acting out because he's being forced to like something. So even if he likes it, he won't admit it. You need to find a way to make him think it's his idea to like WDW (like leaving him home next time!). Good luck! :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom