Does anyone else have a spouse that hates Disney?

loveofamouse

What do you do?:shrug:

My husband hates Disney. I swear he tries to make sure I don't have a good time, either. I usually ignore him or shut him up with a beer or cigarette. lol. We avg. 1 trip a year. I've tried getting him involved in the other entertainment Disney offers. Nope, he won't spend the money. I've offered to stay in the cabins (he's a self-proclaimed nature guy). Nope, he doesn't like the parking rules there. I've asked him to plan a family vacay he wants to do. Nope, he's a "man and planning is for women." (hey, I never claimed he was mature:p). I am seriously considering not bringing him for the next trip. Ive gone to the World without him before when he was deployed. What do you do when you live with such a nay sayer?:confused:

loveofamouse

Original Poster
Just had a thought

Funny thing. One trip, I had him distracted from his "misery" with the hunt for hidden mickeys the entire trip. He got into that. hmmmm

Maybe there's hope. I just had a productive conversation with him about hotels.

I guess I just thought it was crazy to vacay seperately but I guess that's not that uncommon :)

Upvote 0
Maybe this will make you feel a little better. My brother's wife won't even consider going to Disney at all EVER! End of story, no discussion. She says she does not like theme parks so she will never go. Disney World is his FAVORITE place. He has not been since 2001 before he met her. He would never consider taking a vacation without her. Thankfully my husband is just as happy to go to WDW as I am. Our daughters are thrilled to go too. We leave in 24 days!! Can't wait, but I feel really bad for my brother. I know how much he wishes he could come with us.

Upvote 0

tecowdw

Maybe this will make you feel a little better. My brother's wife won't even consider going to Disney at all EVER! End of story, no discussion. She says she does not like theme parks so she will never go. Disney World is his FAVORITE place. He has not been since 2001 before he met her. He would never consider taking a vacation without her. Thankfully my husband is just as happy to go to WDW as I am. Our daughters are thrilled to go too. We leave in 24 days!! Can't wait, but I feel really bad for my brother. I know how much he wishes he could come with us.

You should invite him to a family (blood relatives only) vacation to WDW someday.
:lookaroun

I feel bad for him too - I can't imagine not being able to go to WDW!
:cry:

Upvote 0

loveofamouse

Original Poster

Ouch...That sucks! I'd be upset. lol. I guess even if he's miserable, at least I'm there. I would have to plan a kidnapping or something. lol. Have some big beefy guys toss him in a trunk. When the trunk opens, you're at WDW. lol.

Upvote 0

Tomi-Rocket

I say stop bending over backwards to try to please someone who refuses to give you the satisfaction. Just go on your own, with family or friends and leave him out of it. Maybe he'll eventually come around but don't hold your breath. Go and have a blast while he stays home and smokes and drinks. You may find you like your freedom.

Upvote 0
We have invited my brother when we went in April 08 and again for this upcoming trip...did I mention only 24 days??!! lol...but no luck. I have even suggested he go and leave her at home. I guess he is afraid of what he would face when he came home and probably what he would have to deal with before he left!!

Upvote 0

tecowdw

We have invited my brother when we went in April 08 and again for this upcoming trip...did I mention only 24 days??!! lol...but no luck. I have even suggested he go and leave her at home. I guess he is afraid of what he would face when he came home and probably what he would have to deal with before he left!!

Well, he doesn't want to go that bad then.
:shrug:

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

I'm sure your situation is frustrating, but I agree that it's no reason for divorce. You know your relationship better than anyone else. If your husband truly dislikes trips to Disney- he might be perfectly fine with you excluding him from your plans. Alternately, some people just don't get as into the prep and hype and that can be what turns them off. If he could be like that- you include him in the trip but exclude him from the prep and hype. Or if he really isn't into all of the park activities- he could come along when he chooses to do so and do his own thing during the days when he chooses to stay behind- and maybe meet up for meals.

As for the comments deemed sexist- I can't pass judgement on this since my DH says a lot of things like this. DH is totally silly and sarcastic when saying such things...i.e. he might say cleaning is for women and then an hour later be mopping the floor...but that's just his humor.

Good luck! :wave:

Upvote 0

loveofamouse

Original Poster
As for the comments deemed sexist- I can't pass judgement on this since my DH says a lot of things like this. DH is totally silly and sarcastic when saying such things...i.e. he might say cleaning is for women and then an hour later be mopping the floor...but that's just his humor.

Good luck! :wave:

Mine is like this, too. Last night, he cooked dinner:lol:

Upvote 0

ann0d

The first time I took my DH He was a total jerk. I couldn't stand it, he ruined it and I swear we almost got divorced over it. The next time we went - he swore he would behave and he was excellent. I think now he actually loves it. He says he had bad memories from his first wife going there, once he found out how much fun I am (LOL) and seeing how much our son enjoys it he changed his tune. Also I found a place (Fort wilderness cabins) which he absolutely loved staying there, and riding around on the golf carts was one of his favorite things to do.
Maybe you have to find a day or something he really enjoys, golfing or camping maybe, and revolve the vacation on that idea, maybe he will warm up to the other things.
Good luck, like I said I almost divorced him the first time, and now we've been back 3 times and going on a Disney cruise in June.

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

After each trip DW always says she doesn’t want to go again for a “long time.” I save the money, discuss what is happening and what is being discussed on these boards etc. After awhile she starts to hint that she would like to go back.

Upvote 0

corey154

I'm married to a non-Disney fan too, only since we had our son does he like going, but only for short trips just b/c he likes to see our two year olds expressions. But it does make stressfull trips for me b/c he complains about the crowds, he likes to take breaks, he hates lines, ect. We usually take him for a short trip once a year, then when we can, I go with my Mom b/c she's a disney fan like me and we have so much fun with her. My 11 year old daughter really likes when granny goes better too :)

Upvote 0

WDW 3

After each trip DW always says she doesn’t want to go again for a “long time.” I save the money, discuss what is happening and what is being discussed on these boards etc. After awhile she starts to hint that she would like to go back.

That is exactly the same with my DH. :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

loveofamouse

Original Poster
I'm married to a non-Disney fan too, only since we had our son does he like going, but only for short trips just b/c he likes to see our two year olds expressions. But it does make stressfull trips for me b/c he complains about the crowds, he likes to take breaks, he hates lines, ect. We usually take him for a short trip once a year, then when we can, I go with my Mom b/c she's a disney fan like me and we have so much fun with her. My 11 year old daughter really likes when granny goes better too :)

Mine is like this.:lol: He loves seeing the kids' expressions over certain things and will laugh and cool it for that. Truly, it's the "stresses" of theme parks that get him i.e. long lines, crowds, the occasional CM that's an ______, something not going 100% according to plan. Me, I know life isn't perfect and crap happens. I may blow some steam from my ears and grunt but I move on. He just makes a explosion out of a puff of smoke.

At home, if he's in a good mood, he'll listen to me talk about the new things being built or added or other small tidbits. But as soon as I bring up actually going, he gets sour.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

NedFlanders

Wife doesn't like the parks... For her the first trip was not enjoyable... Now I either take the kids and go solo or if she goes we do the parks and she stays at the hotel and reads a book or does nothing (Somehow she got it into her head that vacation is for resting and doing nothing, I figure that's what a job is for, a vacation is for fun).

Upvote 0

loveofamouse

Original Poster
Wife doesn't like the parks... For her the first trip was not enjoyable... Now I either take the kids and go solo or if she goes we do the parks and she stays at the hotel and reads a book or does nothing (Somehow she got it into her head that vacation is for resting and doing nothing, I figure that's what a job is for, a vacation is for fun).

:lol::lol:

Upvote 0

Phonedave

That seriously may be the game this time. He does his stupid hunting thing and I say nothing despite the rediculous amount of time it eats. Whatever. And, honestly, I usually don't go completely alone. My dad and brother are disney obsessed so they usually go and, the last few times, I've convinced friends to go. Maybe this will just be a me and the kids thing.... although I'll be damned if he takes a week off of work and lay around the house lmao j/k

Not a thing wrong with hunting. :)

In fact my brother and his wife and kids came to WDW with me last October - missing the opening day of bow season in NJ.

Every time we spotted a deer from the monorail, my brother would say "You know, if I was home, I could be shooting that right now"

-dave

Upvote 0

loveofamouse

Original Poster
Not a thing wrong with hunting. :)

In fact my brother and his wife and kids came to WDW with me last October - missing the opening day of bow season in NJ.

Every time we spotted a deer from the monorail, my brother would say "You know, if I was home, I could be shooting that right now"

-dave

Honestly, I have no issue with hunting. My DH just gets annoying about it. :lol: Right now, I'm giving him slack cause he's spent so much money on it and time away but hasn't brought home ANYTHING.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom