Does anyone else have a spouse that hates Disney?

loveofamouse

What do you do?:shrug:

My husband hates Disney. I swear he tries to make sure I don't have a good time, either. I usually ignore him or shut him up with a beer or cigarette. lol. We avg. 1 trip a year. I've tried getting him involved in the other entertainment Disney offers. Nope, he won't spend the money. I've offered to stay in the cabins (he's a self-proclaimed nature guy). Nope, he doesn't like the parking rules there. I've asked him to plan a family vacay he wants to do. Nope, he's a "man and planning is for women." (hey, I never claimed he was mature:p). I am seriously considering not bringing him for the next trip. Ive gone to the World without him before when he was deployed. What do you do when you live with such a nay sayer?:confused:

4everDory

My DH likes Disney OK, but not as much as me and our girls. His solution--the girls and I took my mom with us for the first week, and then she left and he joined us for the second week! The girls and I had a lot of our "park fix" out of our systems, and we were able to spend time with him just hanging out and doing non-park things for part of the time. Yes, his idea of a vacation, too, is sitting around relaxing and not doing much of anything--certainly doesn't happen much at Disney :ROFLOL: BTW, we're already planning on doing the same thing again this next year when we go on vacation to Disney!

Upvote 0

rsoxguy

There will always be differences of opinions and interests within any healthy relationship. Our individuality is part of what attracts us to one another. Any issue involving WDW is trivial in light of life's vast challenges and blessings. Let him tolerate your love for Disney, even as you tolerate his separate interests. If he makes snide remarks in the future, and couples them with a bad attitude, I would suggest that the two of you talk about any hurt feelings created by his actions. I believe that any man in love with his wife will curb his attitude for her sake. Remember, it's only Disney (this coming from a guy who belongs to a Disney fan site :)).

Upvote 0

ASHLAND WDW MAN

My DW likes WDW but where she has to deal with the rude public every day she is not always ready to go and fight the crowds when we can go, which is in early June. Last year we spent 3 days at the beach in Treasure Island with a lot of peace and quiet, then 6 days at WDW. We both enjoyed the down time and it made WDW more fun. Next time though WDW first then the beach to relax and do nothing.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Maybe this will make you feel a little better. My brother's wife won't even consider going to Disney at all EVER! End of story, no discussion. She says she does not like theme parks so she will never go. Disney World is his FAVORITE place. He has not been since 2001 before he met her. He would never consider taking a vacation without her. Thankfully my husband is just as happy to go to WDW as I am. Our daughters are thrilled to go too. We leave in 24 days!! Can't wait, but I feel really bad for my brother. I know how much he wishes he could come with us.

I feel like that would be a complete deal breaker for me. If Disney is your favorite place (as it is for many of us here), then it clearly plays a significant part in your life. I would never be able to get involved with someone who wasn't on board with my "obsession". I could understand if someone didn't want to make the 3 or so trips I make there now and wanted to go elsewhere at times too...but if they weren't ok with going at least once or twice a year then I would break things off. To each their own of course.

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

I feel like that would be a complete deal breaker for me. If Disney is your favorite place (as it is for many of us here), then it clearly plays a significant part in your life. I would never be able to get involved with someone who wasn't on board with my "obsession". I could understand if someone didn't want to make the 3 or so trips I make there now and wanted to go elsewhere at times too...but if they weren't ok with going at least once or twice a year then I would break things off. To each their own of course.

I agree - in the "get to know you" stage they would need to exhibit an interest in football, baseball and the mouse - among other things!

Upvote 0

stefan74

My partner does not like Disney and I don't force him to go. It is a place I love and enjoy as does my family. Whenever we go I will ask if he wants to go and he says he doesn't want to go so I do not push it. He is fine with it if I go and he does not, as long as I am happy, so is he.

Upvote 0

Funfy

Everyone that I have ever met that "hated" Disney or had no desire to ever go was always someone that was generally considered a negative, unfriendly and sometimes nasty person. I think Disney is a really good litmus test for people's character in general.

The level of selfishness displayed by making you miserable and the derogatory comments in general unfortunately, may be indicators of your future with this person. You can say Disney is not that important-your right a theme park isn't, but, the values and the spirit it stands for are!

Just remember your sons and daughters are both learning life lessons and the basis for their future relationships from your husband and you. If one of your kids was thinking about marrying someone like your husband-would you want that for your child. Well, more than likely that will be their pattern too.

This is an incredibly sad post to me.:(

Upvote 0

bjlc57

my brother in law was CHEAP.. as cheap as they come when it came to his kids.. told them, that they didn't need college.. (Because he did want to pay for it)..

and I actually thought of taking his kids to WDW at one point in time.. only to find out that HE BRAIN WASHED HIS KIDS.. OH.. you wouldn't like it.. you should never go.. YOU WONT LIKE IT AT ALL.

and his wife.. who had been there a number of times, let him get away with that..

on the other hand My wife likes WDW.. in fact I would say she loves it..

she just hates the cost of it.. and she pays the bills.. that's one of the reasons we don't go more often. THE BIG REASON..

Upvote 0

bradybig

My wife thinks Disney is okay, but just okay. My daughter feels that way too. My sons and I are Disney fanatics. I worked out a deal with my wife. I think cruises are okay, but just okay. she is a cruise freak. So 1 year, we take a cruise and the next, we go to Disney. This has worked out great, and this time, my wife is actually saying she is looking forward to going. Now, if I can only make that cruise a Disney Cruise....

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

My DH likes Disney, but he is not obsessed like me and the kids. I think that if it were not so expensive, and if the crowds were not so bad at times, and we go during low crowds:lol:, he would like it better.

Over the years, I have learned to let him do what he feels like doing while we are there. If he gets tired, he can head back to the resort to rest or relax and have a beer, while the rest of us have fun in the parks. We also drive to the parks when we go back in the afternoons to avoid the crowds catching the bus at park closing. I do whatever it takes to try to make it easier and less stressful for him so we can keep coming back. :D

I am looking forward to May. DD graduates and her boyfriend will be going with us to Disney. This will be his first visit. He may not know it now, but if he doesn't LOVE Disney after this trip, it could be a deal breaker for him. :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Diane Hughess

Too Funny!

My husband and I went a few times while dating. After marriage and kids, when my daughter was 3, we went again. He felt that it was OK to go once every 5 YEARS!!! OH NO I cried! So my Mom goes with me and my now 2 children every single year. We usually stay for 10 days. Twice my husband (and father) flew down for 4-5 days during our stay. He loves being home alone and being 'single'. The kids and I love Disney, so it's a win-win for all of us. Plus, my Mom pays her share, making it reasonable for all of us. He thinks Disney is 'work', and he doesn't want to spend his vacation standing in lines, which I can understand. He likes to go away with his buds to visit ballparks around the country, which would bore me to death. That's why Baskin Robbins has 54 dif't ice cream flavors!! Everyone has dif't tastes! We always cruise and have beach vacations together. And I have been guilty of sticking a bottle in his mouth (beer) to keep him happy at Disney!
I am sorry some people had some really rude replies about how you should be 'divorced', and saying he is 'immature'...must be nice to live in glass houses people!! They probably come home from their job flipping burgers at McD's and kick their dogs:)

Upvote 0

loveofamouse

Original Poster
My husband and I went a few times while dating. After marriage and kids, when my daughter was 3, we went again. He felt that it was OK to go once every 5 YEARS!!! OH NO I cried! So my Mom goes with me and my now 2 children every single year. We usually stay for 10 days. Twice my husband (and father) flew down for 4-5 days during our stay. He loves being home alone and being 'single'. The kids and I love Disney, so it's a win-win for all of us. Plus, my Mom pays her share, making it reasonable for all of us. He thinks Disney is 'work', and he doesn't want to spend his vacation standing in lines, which I can understand. He likes to go away with his buds to visit ballparks around the country, which would bore me to death. That's why Baskin Robbins has 54 dif't ice cream flavors!! Everyone has dif't tastes! We always cruise and have beach vacations together. And I have been guilty of sticking a bottle in his mouth (beer) to keep him happy at Disney!
I am sorry some people had some really rude replies about how you should be 'divorced', and saying he is 'immature'...must be nice to live in glass houses people!! They probably come home from their job flipping burgers at McD's and kick their dogs:)

i like you lol:ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Mouse Man

I don't have this issue, thank god! I really would not know what to do if the DWF hated or disliked Disney. We go once a year and look forward to it. We have a wonderful time together, laugh, act like kids and do silly things. Disney is a really great experience for us. Now our Daughter is a Disney nut and her husband is in between. I know that the two times that they had gone they did have a really good time. It's just he would rather go golfing and then go to the bar and have a beer. I do not understand the people that go on vacation and make it miserable for others. What's the reason or the point. Vacation is about fun, getting away, kicking back and having a good time. the WDW resorts has something for everyone. Parks, water parks, golf, boating, fishing, horsback riding, para-sailing, spa's good to great resteraunts, pool sides and so on. The part I really enjoy about a WDW vacation is it's what ever you want to do and what you make of it. Not being in the non disney partner/spouse scenario I can not truly input. I can say how I might act, but as in life you never truly know how you will respond until you are faced with the situation. Again, I am not in this situation, thank god.

Upvote 0

Funfy

They probably come home from their job flipping burgers at McD's and kick their dogs:)[/QUOTE]

Just because some of us couldn't live with your spouses, doesn't mean we have bad jobs or kick our pets. Just because you realize some of us don't have to put up with the selfishness, is no reason to make assumptions about our income. BTW-very nice career and spoiled dog at home-hence the picture!

Upvote 0

Diane Hughess

They probably come home from their job flipping burgers at McD's and kick their dogs:)

Just because some of us couldn't live with your spouses, doesn't mean we have bad jobs or kick our pets. Just because you realize some of us don't have to put up with the selfishness, is no reason to make assumptions about our income. BTW-very nice career and spoiled dog at home-hence the picture![/QUOTE]

Now YOU are complaining about making "assumptions"??? HA!

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

They probably come home from their job flipping burgers at McD's and kick their dogs:)

Just because some of us couldn't live with your spouses, doesn't mean we have bad jobs or kick our pets. Just because you realize some of us don't have to put up with the selfishness, is no reason to make assumptions about our income. BTW-very nice career and spoiled dog at home-hence the picture![/QUOTE]

Well said! Take Disney out of the equation and I think most of us still see that there are some issues in that relationship. It's not about divorcing someone because they don't like Disney. It's about divorcing someone because they try to keep you in an unhappy state and work against you. Sounds draining.

Upvote 0

loveofamouse

Original Poster
Just because some of us couldn't live with your spouses, doesn't mean we have bad jobs or kick our pets. Just because you realize some of us don't have to put up with the selfishness, is no reason to make assumptions about our income. BTW-very nice career and spoiled dog at home-hence the picture!

Well said! Take Disney out of the equation and I think most of us still see that there are some issues in that relationship. It's not about divorcing someone because they don't like Disney. It's about divorcing someone because they try to keep you in an unhappy state and work against you. Sounds draining.[/QUOTE]

I was trying to ignore the bickering but I would like to say that no one here can make a fair judgement of anyone's relationships. My OP didn't ask "what do you think of my marriage?" Just asked if someone's spouse hated Disney. Im not sure how you can make judgements about my relationship based off of me telling you how my husband hates Disney. Just as you don't want anyone making assumptions about your income, do not make assumptions about my marriage based off of a single vacation. I will tell you this, my husband has been just fine on other trips and vacations. He's great at home and in life except when it comes to Disneyworld. Hence why my OP was just about Disneyworld. I did not ask for marriage advice and clearly answered to those remarks with a simple statement. i will not divorce my husband over Disneyworld. That is the end of that. We are discussing vacationing with spouses. That is it. Thank you

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom