Does anyone else find Rise of the Resistance and Runaway Railway underwhelming?

Do you think Rise of the Resistance and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway are overrated?

• Total voters

Trackmaster

Memorable indeed. That's the thing about the recent projects. Even if I think Galaxy's Edge or Toy Story Land are well done, they still feel very corporate. Pandora instead feels like art. The idea of bringing Avatar as a franchise to the Disney parks was and still is a terrible idea. Instead, the world was taken and folded into the overall theme of Animal Kingdom, creating something that transcends a conventional film and potential franchise to become its own thing.

But couldn't you argue that a park themed to Hollywood kind of should feel more fake and people pleasing, while a park themed to nature and animals should be more natural and authentic?

Either way, DHS needed some kind of shot in the arm. Without the tram tour the park is really losing its identity, and is still very underbuilt.

UNCgolf

But couldn't you argue that a park themed to Hollywood kind of should feel more fake and people pleasing, while a park themed to nature and animals should be more natural and authentic?

Either way, DHS needed some kind of shot in the arm. Without the tram tour the park is really losing its identity, and is still very underbuilt.

DHS definitely needed additional attractions, but they did it in such a shortsighted way. They just closed existing attractions and replaced them, so nothing was really added. Galaxy's Edge is good (although not the absolute home run it could/should have been) and Rise of the Resistance is incredible. On the other hand, Smuggler's Run is a tremendous disappointment and Toy Story Land is an absolute joke. MMRR looks like a fun ride, but not quite at the level of what it replaced. They've also punted on the original theme of the park so that it now has no identity whatsoever.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

DHS definitely needed additional attractions, but they did it in such a shortsighted way. They just closed existing attractions and replaced them, so nothing was really added. Galaxy's Edge is good (although not the absolute home run it could/should have been)and Rise of the Resistance is incredible. On the other hand, Smuggler's Run is a tremendous disappointment and Toy Story Land is an absolute joke. MMRR looks like a fun ride, but not quite at the level of what it replaced. They've also punted on the original theme of the park so that it now has no identity whatsoever.
I wish they would run a "tram" ride or train that went from Galaxies edge/Toy Story over to Rock N Roller Coaster. People would use this, and maybe it would be possible to pepper in some old sets etc?

tirian

When I was still a CM, my friends and I spent a lunch break tossing around the idea of re-theming RNRC to Roger Rabbit, with a limo race through Toontown to get to a cartoon’s premiere. The roller coaster’s height limit would allow some Jessica jokes in the pre-show, and projection tech could bring you into the world of Toontown (this was right after the projection-mapped doors which premiered at D23). It would also be a relatively inexpensive overlay, a fact my accountant friend pointed out. ;)

We were CMs in a building in Celebration. That makes this Disney’s idea. They could take it and run with it, and it’s a heck of a lot better than the PATF debacle “idea.” It would make thematic sense and would match Sunset Blvd. better than RNRC.

Animaniac93-98

They've also punted on the original theme of the park so that it now has no identity whatsoever.

Without the working Studio or the broader focus on Hollywood's history/filmography outside of Disney's catalog, there's no reason for the park to exist anymore. Most of the rides that are there now could simply be added to MK. Galaxy's Edge, Toy Story Land and Star Tours can be found in other castle parks. Even Muppet-Vision was once proposed for Disneyland's Opera House.

Since all parks are getting rides based on franchises or brands, each of their individual identities has been eroded.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I love this post for your honest opinions. Thank you.

I haven’t gotten on the new abramsland ride yet (been “busy” in 2020)...so I’m still jury out. Now I assumed that It will need a complete theme/character overhaul very soon - something they reportedly knew and built it with capability to do up front. If so...that’s excellent foresight on their part.

But the re-ridabilty is a concern in the short term. That’s the falcon ride...they already need a reprogram there. It’s one and done.

Mickey’s sounds like a simple “innings eater”...like mine train. Problem there is there isn’t enough in that park - still - where the expectations for the ride will be too high.
I’m not prone to self quoting...

...but none of my “guts” from November were wrong.

Goofyernmost

It is impossible to comprehend just exactly what degree of expectations would say that they were underwhelming. Rise is freaking spectacular and a complete story, something we haven't seen in a 3D presentation in years, if ever. The only thing that would have made it anything more would be to take an actual galaxy flight. And this is something that is coming from someone that isn't even a fan of Star Wars.

MMRR is interesting and fun and one of the best cartoon based attractions that Disney ever produced. It is what it was supposed to be, just plain fun and very well done. Somehow, I get the feeling that the OP has expectations that are basically unachievable and would likely be turning a corner into making them into a limitation of it's family type degree of motion. The story is fine with that one or at least as good as a cartoon based attraction should be.

I am guessing that the tendency these days is that people are never able to just appreciate and enjoy things. That trend, by the way, will eventually end theme parks as we know it. Everything will become 6 flags because if your heart isn't jammed up into your throat it will not be good enough because just pure family entertainment will not be enough. I will admit that Disney has managed to create some real dogs, but those two are part of their finest efforts. Just Star Wars Land itself far exceeds anything they have ever created as far as emersion is concerned.

OG Runner

I’m not prone to self quoting...

...but none of my “guts” from November were wrong.
Well nice job of patting yourself on the back. I think if you look at the votes cast, most people still feel you are wrong.
The ride is overall is fun, using a number of ride systems and effects. Sorry it isn't your cup of tea, but for most it is far
from underwhelming.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well nice job of patting yourself on the back. I think if you look at the votes cast, most people still feel you are wrong.
The ride is overall is fun, using a number of ride systems and effects. Sorry it isn't your cup of tea, but for most it is far
from underwhelming.

yeah...opinions vary.

they’re weren’t different than what I expected. And “underwhelming” is near perfect in a description.

perhaps it’s this: so many decree “amazing!”
No. Not so. If the promotion is accurate...then there’s no need to drop the hammer on it.

it’s a “board” thing more than anything else. And then we don’t need to trade snit salvos.

JohnD

As with anything, and I know this phrase is overused, "mileage will vary." I personally don't find it underwhelming at all. It's a great experience with multiple ride systems.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Or don't, because they are 2 totally different experiences. One is a screen and the other is all immersive, as if it was really happening to you.

nothing was “really happening to you”

one is ingenious and surprising each time...the other is a bit of a disjointed very abbreviated movie walkthrough...

let’s not go there. Everyone get a boarding group and ride it. Spend the 5 minutes...and then do it again.

then think on it

jaklgreen

one is ingenious and surprising each time...the other is a bit of a disjointed very abbreviated movie walkthrough...

let’s not go there. Everyone get a boarding group and ride it. Spend the 5 minutes...and then do it again.

then think on it

I am not understanding what you are trying to say in the second part of your post. I disagree that it wasn't "happening to you". I mean, of course it's not real, duh. But it is the most immersive experience that WDW has. And FoP, is a great ride, but it is still a screen ride and I don't think that those 2 rides can be compared. They are both good in their own ways.

Poseidon Quest

Original Poster
Well, since this thread was brought back up to the top for whatever reason, I'll let everyone know that I've become more cynical since. In fact, I've done an essay breaking down this string of really poor attractions and lands that fail to meet the Disney standard and why this is ultimately going to hurt the company and its branding down the line. If you think I'm being hyperbolic, I seem to have received a lot of positive reception to the arguments I've made.

OG Runner

yeah...opinions vary.

they’re weren’t different than what I expected. And “underwhelming” is near perfect in a description.

perhaps it’s this: so many decree “amazing!”
No. Not so. If the promotion is accurate...then there’s no need to drop the hammer on it.

it’s a “board” thing more than anything else. And then we don’t need to trade snit salvos.
Definitely agree, opinions do vary, and I never trade "snit salvos". Good discussion!

JohnD

then think on it

beating-dead-horse-gif-2.gif

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well, since this thread was brought back up to the top for whatever reason, I'll let everyone know that I've become more cynical since. In fact, I've done an essay breaking down this string of really poor attractions and lands that fail to meet the Disney standard and why this is ultimately going to hurt the company and its branding down the line. If you think I'm being hyperbolic, I seem to have received a lot of positive reception to the arguments I've made.

I found Mickey and Minnie to be adequate....but as an addition...not a replacement. Mistake. It should have been built in launchbay as a supplement to a revamped movie ride.

I’ll throw this in here too: I got a good look at riviera...and again “adequate”...but a real punt on creativity and charm. Not a “bad” location...just brutally nondescript.

as far as “rise” goes...my first go left me in the same mindset as may 99 or December 15...what I call the “2:30 am in the rain to think” mindset.
You decide what that means...might be good, bad or indifferent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom