Does anyone else find Rise of the Resistance and Runaway Railway underwhelming?

Do you think Rise of the Resistance and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway are overrated?

• Total voters

NewToFL

Interesting topic! I am new to this group, and want to chime in after having similar thoughts about these rides. I rode MMRR and ROTR today for the first time. Both super experiences for the most part, but I did feel some level of resentment. I'll explain...

1) ROTR: After waiting in a long line and having that fun build up and anticipation, there are some underwhelming moments, particularly early in the experience. I feel the first part of the ride, with the setup like a subway car, does not have much "replay value". It will be cool the first time for the purpose of the story, but because passengers are standing there is literally no appreciable movement, momentum or thrills, even though the audience is being painted a picture of sheer madness going on outside of the ship. I would rather the interior of this portion be set up like Star Tours; seated and strapped in for even a mildly intense initial segment.

Next point: Once in the First Order ship, the visual of all the Storm Troopers is simply amazing, but feels lacking. The story makes the rider to feel like a prisoner, forced to enter a hostile ship, so that moment needs to be exploited. Rather than enter a fabulous room that is filled with essentially lifeless characters, similarly to the famous scene in the Will Smith movie iRobot, why not at least have a few Stormtrooper actors roleplaying with the riders (similarly to how they do in the actual theme park itself). I think this was a HUGE element that was missed. Heck, even hologram stormtroopers, or a few robotic ones doing ANYTHING more than a small head movement would really add to the awe of walking in to that room. The cast members could still be in place to move the riders along... As it stands now, that part of the experience is nothing more than a photo opportunity, but not really at all interactive or earth shattering.

The final sequences of the experience are great though! A lot of action, sensory overload, a fun drop and quick simulator ride back home!

2) MMRR This is a such a difficult one to rate. For one, it is amazing to see how far technology and visuals involved in rides have become. This is a very cool, and immersive ride. Even the part that happens in the movie theater portion is so unique and inviting. The characters are loveable, funny, and also end up in mishaps. The actual ride however I felt was uncomfortable, even compared to some of the more intense rides. I don't know why, but for some reason on this ride by the time I got to the Daisy dancing part, I had enough of the constant shaking and just wanted the ride to end. The cha-cha was the same motion as getting shaken around by the twister, so the ride felt like a one trick pony. I feel bad saying that, but on other bumpy rides like Transformers, or Harry Potter stuff, or Star Tours I don't mind the shaking, but MMRR felt jerky and weird on my stomach, and I feel like I am the only one who thinks that. Kind of blew the experience for me, but I'd do it again.

Poseidon Quest

Original Poster
1) ROTR: After waiting in a long line and having that fun build up and anticipation, there are some underwhelming moments, particularly early in the experience. I feel the first part of the ride, with the setup like a subway car, does not have much "replay value". It will be cool the first time for the purpose of the story, but because passengers are standing there is literally no appreciable movement, momentum or thrills, even though the audience is being painted a picture of sheer madness going on outside of the ship. I would rather the interior of this portion be set up like Star Tours; seated and strapped in for even a mildly intense initial segment.

It's been a few months since I've been on, but I've heard that many of the elements of the attraction just simply aren't working. The Resistance ship is supposed to have a degree of movement and I found myself having to hold on to the rails for balance. I have since heard that this was turned off or broken, and that definitely appears to be the case. The same issue seems to happen with the ship's cannons. The vehicles are supposed to dart between them as they fire, but I've heard that they've just simply stopped moving or retreat so that the ride vehicles can pass.

Next point: Once in the First Order ship, the visual of all the Storm Troopers is simply amazing, but feels lacking. The story makes the rider to feel like a prisoner, forced to enter a hostile ship, so that moment needs to be exploited. Rather than enter a fabulous room that is filled with essentially lifeless characters, similarly to the famous scene in the Will Smith movie iRobot, why not at least have a few Stormtrooper actors roleplaying with the riders (similarly to how they do in the actual theme park itself). I think this was a HUGE element that was missed. Heck, even hologram stormtroopers, or a few robotic ones doing ANYTHING more than a small head movement would really add to the awe of walking in to that room. The cast members could still be in place to move the riders along... As it stands now, that part of the experience is nothing more than a photo opportunity, but not really at all interactive or earth shattering.

I think that's a good summary. It feels more like a photo OP than an actual "experience". It's not that the room isn't cool, but I don't find it as impressive as other people seem to do. My one major gripe with it is the screen in the background where ships noticeably experience frame drops as they move. It completely takes me out of the experience when I notice it.

2) MMRR This is a such a difficult one to rate. For one, it is amazing to see how far technology and visuals involved in rides have become. This is a very cool, and immersive ride. Even the part that happens in the movie theater portion is so unique and inviting. The characters are loveable, funny, and also end up in mishaps. The actual ride however I felt was uncomfortable, even compared to some of the more intense rides. I don't know why, but for some reason on this ride by the time I got to the Daisy dancing part, I had enough of the constant shaking and just wanted the ride to end. The cha-cha was the same motion as getting shaken around by the twister, so the ride felt like a one trick pony. I feel bad saying that, but on other bumpy rides like Transformers, or Harry Potter stuff, or Star Tours I don't mind the shaking, but MMRR felt jerky and weird on my stomach, and I feel like I am the only one who thinks that. Kind of blew the experience for me, but I'd do it again.

I agree that the movement, especially in Daisy's Dance Studio is jarring. I have a lot of other issues with that attraction and I do end up highlighting them in a video essay I produced where I talk about Remy's Ratatouille Adventure if you're interested:

Trackmaster

Interesting topic! I am new to this group, and want to chime in after having similar thoughts about these rides. I rode MMRR and ROTR today for the first time. Both super experiences for the most part, but I did feel some level of resentment. I'll explain...

The final sequences of the experience are great though! A lot of action, sensory overload, a fun drop and quick simulator ride back home!

Well, remember, RotR is an attraction where you basically play a "fastest fingers" game just to get on, and not everyone is guaranteed a chance to ride everyday. In a sense, its not really meant to be re-ridden a ton of times. Its kind of designed from the perspective that the guest is getting a start to finish experience and they won't really ever be marathoning it really. That being said, I thought that the pre-show stuff was well done, but the ride itself just seemed a little hallow and empty. You're basically just darting around empty rooms most of the time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well, remember, RotR is an attraction where you basically play a "fastest fingers" game just to get on, and not everyone is guaranteed a chance to ride everyday. In a sense, its not really meant to be re-ridden a ton of times. Its kind of designed from the perspective that the guest is getting a start to finish experience and they won't really ever be marathoning it really. That being said, I thought that the pre-show stuff was well done, but the ride itself just seemed a little hallow and empty. You're basically just darting around empty rooms most of the time.
It’s a movie ride through…a very brief one of some truly awful movies.

Andrew_Animatronic

RoTR was excellent, but yea I guess I expected more from Runaway Railway. With all they hyped up the “2.5-D” animatronics and effects, the projections were always pretty apparent.

Kramerica

Now that we've had some time for these attractions to settle, I can't help but feel that these attractions are kind of overrated. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy them both, but I feel that they're lacking, especially in the department of how they use their trackless vehicle technology. I don't think that Rise of the Resistance does anything special, even with having its vehicles move in and out elevators, because the Tower of Terror has been doing that since its opening. Runaway Railway also feels a bit like an empty warehouse and everything is happening at such a chaotic pace that you have a hard time following exactly what is happening. I think that Ratatouille, based off of what we see with the version in Paris, is actually likely to be the best of these attractions coming to WDW because of its pacing and how it uses its trackless vehicles to simulate movement.

----------
Edit: I've been away a few days, but I didn't expect this thread to be this popular. Since so many people are interested in this discussion, I did do an essay on this in video form recently. I go a lot further into my points if you're interested in elaborating on this.

Edit2: Adding to this discussion, I've done a recent video that ties a bit into why I feel these attractions are underwhelming, because my criticisms have continued to evolve and I've tied them into larger Disney trends as a whole. Not everything in this video is relevant to Rise of the Resistance and Runaway Railway, but it does add a lot of context.

Oh hey, it’s Poseidon! I’ve been watching your stuff for a couple months now, you actually recently replied to a YouTube comment of mine, haha. Great videos!

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
RoTR was excellent, but yea I guess I expected more from Runaway Railway. With all they hyped up the “2.5-D” animatronics and effects, the projections were always pretty apparent.
MMRR would be much more enjoyable with more physical props throughout. 2.5D only gets you so far. Needs practical effects and physical tangible props to pad it out.

J4546

I htink RISE is fantastic, one of the best rides ever made imo. I wish the guns effects were working though. Havent ridden MMRR and prob wont till it gets complete here in DL, but heard its good, and here in DL they are putting it in Toon Town which is a great addition to an area thats been neglected for a while. Theyve also added a bunch of new paving/planter work to the area leading up to toontown recently. Its looking pretty swell

No Name

Neither have motion bases in the vehicles. I get that MMRR wants to be for all ages but Rise should absolutely have vehicles that respond to what’s going on with a bit more flavor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom