Does anyone else find Rise of the Resistance and Runaway Railway underwhelming?

Do you think Rise of the Resistance and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway are overrated?

• Total voters

Poseidon Quest

Original Poster
At least his blown budgets produced something memorable, unlike most (although not all) of Disney's other recent projects.

Memorable indeed. That's the thing about the recent projects. Even if I think Galaxy's Edge or Toy Story Land are well done, they still feel very corporate. Pandora instead feels like art. The idea of bringing Avatar as a franchise to the Disney parks was and still is a terrible idea. Instead, the world was taken and folded into the overall theme of Animal Kingdom, creating something that transcends a conventional film and potential franchise to become its own thing.

Trackmaster

Advertisement
Memorable indeed. That's the thing about the recent projects. Even if I think Galaxy's Edge or Toy Story Land are well done, they still feel very corporate. Pandora instead feels like art. The idea of bringing Avatar as a franchise to the Disney parks was and still is a terrible idea. Instead, the world was taken and folded into the overall theme of Animal Kingdom, creating something that transcends a conventional film and potential franchise to become its own thing.

But couldn't you argue that a park themed to Hollywood kind of should feel more fake and people pleasing, while a park themed to nature and animals should be more natural and authentic?

Either way, DHS needed some kind of shot in the arm. Without the tram tour the park is really losing its identity, and is still very underbuilt.

UNCgolf

But couldn't you argue that a park themed to Hollywood kind of should feel more fake and people pleasing, while a park themed to nature and animals should be more natural and authentic?

Either way, DHS needed some kind of shot in the arm. Without the tram tour the park is really losing its identity, and is still very underbuilt.

DHS definitely needed additional attractions, but they did it in such a shortsighted way. They just closed existing attractions and replaced them, so nothing was really added. Galaxy's Edge is good (although not the absolute home run it could/should have been) and Rise of the Resistance is incredible. On the other hand, Smuggler's Run is a tremendous disappointment and Toy Story Land is an absolute joke. MMRR looks like a fun ride, but not quite at the level of what it replaced. They've also punted on the original theme of the park so that it now has no identity whatsoever.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

DHS definitely needed additional attractions, but they did it in such a shortsighted way. They just closed existing attractions and replaced them, so nothing was really added. Galaxy's Edge is good (although not the absolute home run it could/should have been)and Rise of the Resistance is incredible. On the other hand, Smuggler's Run is a tremendous disappointment and Toy Story Land is an absolute joke. MMRR looks like a fun ride, but not quite at the level of what it replaced. They've also punted on the original theme of the park so that it now has no identity whatsoever.
I wish they would run a "tram" ride or train that went from Galaxies edge/Toy Story over to Rock N Roller Coaster. People would use this, and maybe it would be possible to pepper in some old sets etc?

tirian

When I was still a CM, my friends and I spent a lunch break tossing around the idea of re-theming RNRC to Roger Rabbit, with a limo race through Toontown to get to a cartoon’s premiere. The roller coaster’s height limit would allow some Jessica jokes in the pre-show, and projection tech could bring you into the world of Toontown (this was right after the projection-mapped doors which premiered at D23). It would also be a relatively inexpensive overlay, a fact my accountant friend pointed out. ;)

We were CMs in a building in Celebration. That makes this Disney’s idea. They could take it and run with it, and it’s a heck of a lot better than the PATF debacle “idea.” It would make thematic sense and would match Sunset Blvd. better than RNRC.

Animaniac93-98

They've also punted on the original theme of the park so that it now has no identity whatsoever.

Without the working Studio or the broader focus on Hollywood's history/filmography outside of Disney's catalog, there's no reason for the park to exist anymore. Most of the rides that are there now could simply be added to MK. Galaxy's Edge, Toy Story Land and Star Tours can be found in other castle parks. Even Muppet-Vision was once proposed for Disneyland's Opera House.

Since all parks are getting rides based on franchises or brands, each of their individual identities has been eroded.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom