Does anyone else find Rise of the Resistance and Runaway Railway underwhelming?

Do you think Rise of the Resistance and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway are overrated?

• Total voters

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We get it. Attention everyone! Sirwalterraleigh thinks Rise is underwhelming. Got it.

I never said it prior.

do I shout “hey, John D can’t separate his love for Disney from objectivity about their decisions!!”

both condescending anecdotes are both true and unnecessary.

are we dancing today?

JohnD

I never said it prior.

do I shout “hey, John D can’t separate his love for Disney from objectivity about their decisions!!”

both condescending anecdotes are both true and unnecessary.

are we dancing today?

I'm plenty objective. I'm just not glass half empty about everything. Why can't someone just enjoy a ride without being pummeled into submission as to why you're wrong.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm plenty objective. I'm just not glass half empty about everything. Why can't someone just enjoy a ride without being pummeled into submission as to why you're wrong.

frankly...you’re picking too low of a hill to make your stand on here.

I’d fortify guardians, tron or rat....avoid this and “star cruiser”...
...the writings on the wall. I’m wrong about many things...Star Wars has never been one of them. You can check the tape on that too.

everyone round here has to ride it. And it will be what it is. There is almost no doubt.

UNCgolf

no comment

I haven't been on Rise yet, but I think it looks great and have a hard time believing it's not significantly better than Flight of Passage.

However, I don't think Flight of Passage is anything special. It's a fun ride, but I can watch a video at home and get almost the whole experience because the physical simulation part does nothing for me. It's almost impossible (at least for me) for something that takes place entirely in front of a screen to be better than something that uses a bunch of physical sets and AAs. If NRJ had a handful more AAs and was maybe 2-3 minutes longer I would like it far more than FoP -- as is I enjoy it about as much.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I haven't been on Rise yet, but I think it looks great and have a hard time believing it's not significantly better than Flight of Passage.

However, I don't think Flight of Passage is anything special. It's a fun ride, but I can watch a video at home and get almost the whole experience because the physical simulation part does nothing for me. It's almost impossible (at least for me) for something that takes place entirely in front of a screen to be better than something that uses a bunch of physical sets and AAs. If NRJ had a handful more AAs and was maybe 2-3 minutes longer I would like it far more than FoP -- as is I enjoy it about as much.
They’re not the same ride...but I don’t want go down the well.

but I think I know you well enough to guess you’ll see what I see. It’s a recurring thought pattern.

The Colonel

I can't believe the fuss made over Rise. I just don't get it. I wasn't thrilled, amused, scared, entertained, impressed, excited, interested, charmed, delighted, enlightened, humored, or cheered by it. The only part that amazed me was the endless hoopla over the greatest theme park ride ever created. But it appears I'm in a small minority.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can't believe the fuss made over Rise. I just don't get it. I wasn't thrilled, amused, scared, entertained, impressed, excited, interested, charmed, delighted, enlightened, humored, or cheered by it. The only part that amazed me was the endless hoopla over the greatest theme park ride ever created. But it appears I'm in a small minority.

there’s a lot of inherent bias on this. I think there always will be

Blame Ronald Reagan, Kenner, George Lucas, Bob Iger, Disney, and the lucasfilm “story group”

it will be a long debate. That I will guarantee...nobody cares what I say otherwise

J4546

I loved RotR when I rode it here in CA, never been on MMRR though. But RotR is pretty amazing and immersive to me, great job by the imagineers....i just wish they had put that much effort into Smugglers Run...

OG Runner

Just to get an idea, it there a ride that does thrill, amuse, scare, entertain, impress, excite, interest, charm, delight,
enlighten, humor and cheer you? I am serious to know what ride does if for you? I am not trying to give you a
hard time. Different people like different rides. If everyone liked exactly the same thing there would only be one
ride in each amusement park.

The Colonel

Just to get an idea, it there a ride that does thrill, amuse, scare, entertain, impress, excite, interest, charm, delight,
enlighten, humor and cheer you? I am serious to know what ride does if for you? I am not trying to give you a
hard time. Different people like different rides. If everyone liked exactly the same thing there would only be one
ride in each amusement park.
Sure just for example:
HM: I think has it all except a thrill element
SM has it all pretty much
EE Thrilling
ToT Thrilling amusing entertaining charming

while it's very rare that a ride has all the elements, I found Rise had none- for me anyway

OG Runner

Sure just for example:
EE Thrilling

while it's very rare that a ride has all the elements, I found Rise had none- for me anyway

Thank you! I am thinking Guardians is going to be your ride.

Poseidon Quest

Original Poster
Sure just for example:
EE Thrilling

I'll support you in this. I've argued this quite a few times, but part of the reason that I personally find RotR underwhelming is how linear it is. Why use trackless ride technology if you're not going to surprise your audience or do anything creative with the technology? Compare this to the new Beauty and the Beast attraction at Tokyo Disneyland and how the trackless vehicles stay in entire scenes for over a minute, allowing those scenes to evolve and play out in how they progress the musical numbers.

RotR also relies far too heavily on novelties that we've seen before. I don't understand why people think that RotR is "the most technologically advanced attraction ever produced". Trackless dark ride systems are 30 years old, and the scenes where your ride vehicle moves up on an elevator and the escape pod sequence are just different adaptations of the technology for the Tower of Terror, which has been doing this since 1994. The second pre-show on the ship very heavily borrows from the elevator preshow at Gringotts, and while RotR is doing more in this situation, that's the only aspect of this attraction that stands out to me. Disney marketed this attraction as having as many animatronics as Pirates of the Caribbean, and they delivered static stormtroopers that occasionally turn their heads. It's not that this is bad for the attraction, but don't treat your customers like morons and mislead them into believing it's going to be the same caliber as many of the Disney classics. For the substantial animatronics that we do get in the attraction, the budget was blown on them, and the rest is projection and screen mapping effects, which are getting really old, really fast. For the most part, I feel like I'm moving through an empty building. The scenes aren't fleshed out or particularly impressive. Even the second animatronic of Kylo Ren doesn't look great. He's fluid, but appears to dance more than anything when the ship blows apart. In addition, these novelty "space screens" that people are so impressed by doesn't really work for me. As you step out into the star destroyer, you can visibly see frame drops as the ships lag across behind the stormtroopers. It immediately kills the immersion.

I don't dislike the attraction, in fact I think it's pretty decent. We need to stop pretending that it's creatively inspired or innovative though. There are much better attractions that are far more fleshed out in the Disney parks, and with a few exceptions, almost none of them have come out of the Iger/Chapek era.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Thank you! I am thinking Guardians is going to be your ride.

I think of what has been proposed...it has the best shot of being a hit on that kinda spec

tron may be the best received in the Orlando market based on it’s simplicity.

rat will be the most fun/re-ride favorable of the trackless rides. And they can cut it out with those now too.
I'll support you in this. I've argued this quite a few times, but part of the reason that I personally find RotR underwhelming is how linear it is. Why use trackless ride technology if you're not going to surprise your audience or do anything creative with the technology? Compare this to the new Beauty and the Beast attraction at Tokyo Disneyland and how the trackless vehicles stay in entire scenes for over a minute, allowing those scenes to evolve and play out in how they progress the musical numbers.

RotR also relies far too heavily on novelties that we've seen before. I don't understand why people think that RotR is "the most technologically advanced attraction ever produced". Trackless dark ride systems are 30 years old, and the scenes where your ride vehicle moves up on an elevator and the escape pod sequence are just different adaptations of the technology for the Tower of Terror, which has been doing this since 1994. The second pre-show on the ship very heavily borrows from the elevator preshow at Gringotts, and while RotR is doing more in this situation, that's the only aspect of this attraction that stands out to me. Disney marketed this attraction as having as many animatronics as Pirates of the Caribbean, and they delivered static stormtroopers that occasionally turn their heads. It's not that this is bad for the attraction, but don't treat your customers like morons and mislead them into believing it's going to be the same caliber as many of the Disney classics. For the substantial animatronics that we do get in the attraction, the budget was blown on them, and the rest is projection and screen mapping effects, which are getting really old, really fast. For the most part, I feel like I'm moving through an empty building. The scenes aren't fleshed out or particularly impressive. Even the second animatronic of Kylo Ren doesn't look great. He's fluid, but appears to dance more than anything when the ship blows apart. In addition, these novelty "space screens" that people are so impressed by doesn't really work for me. As you step out into the star destroyer, you can visibly see frame drops as the ships lag across behind the stormtroopers. It immediately kills the immersion.

I don't dislike the attraction, in fact I think it's pretty decent. We need to stop pretending that it's creatively inspired or innovative though. There are much better attractions that are far more fleshed out in the Disney parks, and with a few exceptions, almost none of them have come out of the Iger/Chapek era.

I think this is pretty close to where I’m at. Like 99%

I had a major problem with “the room” that doesn’t have anything to do with WDI...but as far as the ride system(s) go...I think it suffers the same fate as the movie it was based on:
Trying to give “snippets” of every element to try and cast a broad net...it fails to provide any pull in any of them. It’s not more than the sum of its parts.

it’s not a “bad” ride...but it frankly isn’t a good one either.

Brer Oswald

I’ve yet to ride it. So in terms of the technical and visual spectacle, I can’t really be a judge.

However, thanks to POVs, I can judge it based on creative merit. Yes, it is underwhelming in that department. Mickey is an everyman, but he’s done a lot of memorable things. This doesn’t seem to be one of them.

The story is incredibly basic. The settings are extremely generic, and the Mickey Mouse world has had interesting looking settings before. The song is an ear worm, but it’s a very shallow one.

This wasn’t the grand Mickey Mouse attraction that we should have received. This is a supplementary kids ride that happens to star Mickey Mouse. I think the artstyle choice was the biggest mistake. The story and lack of animatronics was the next.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ve yet to ride it. So in terms of the technical and visual spectacle, I can’t really be a judge.

However, thanks to POVs, I can judge it based on creative merit. Yes, it is underwhelming in that department. Mickey is an everyman, but he’s done a lot of memorable things. This doesn’t seem to be one of them.

The story is incredibly basic. The settings are extremely generic, and the Mickey Mouse world has had interesting looking settings before. The song is an ear worm, but it’s a very shallow one.

This wasn’t the grand Mickey Mouse attraction that we should have received. This is a supplementary kids ride that happens to star Mickey Mouse. I think the artstyle choice was the biggest mistake. The story and lack of animatronics was the next.

...I couldn’t tell which ride you were talking about? 😂

THAT says something.

mickeys is a decent filler ride. Like the mermaid ride or midway mania (mine train and slinky are also 100% that)...if I’m honest.

it doesn’t represent WDI as well as the movie ride...so it doesn’t replace. Should have been an add on on top of launchbay...if good planning was the goal.

UNCgolf

THAT says something.

mickeys is a decent filler ride. Like the mermaid ride or midway mania (mine train and slinky are also 100% that)...if I’m honest.

it doesn’t represent WDI as well as the movie ride...so it doesn’t replace. Should have been an add on on top of launchbay...if good planning was the goal.

I think MMRR and 7DMT are a step above the others. Not that they're top of the line amazing attractions, but they have more going on.

Mermaid is a joke for what they spent on it (it has way too things that look like they were put together for a high school stage production) and Slinky is basically just a standard family coaster. 7DMT at least has some theming and AAs, even if it's an overall disappointment and much less than it should have been.

Brer Oswald

THAT says something.

Mermaid, Midway Mania, Mine Train, and Slinky are all filler. Unfortunately, only 1/4 is treated that way, and arguably, it’s the weakest cohesive experience.

I think if Mickey was an animatronic extravaganza, with impressive and intimate physical sets, it would’ve been something.

As of right now, it looks like a flat screen warehouse. Hardly the full potential of Mickey Mouse, and definitely not the full potential of the space utilized based on what came before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom