Do you think you would be a Disney fan if your first time was recently?

DisneyDoctor

That’s true and there are a lot of reasons...the history of the property and the IP draw/legacy being the biggest two.

But this is also indisputable: Comcast has done much better (from a much lower starting point) job of making their Orlando property a draw over the last 13 years than Disney has...its hard to make a counter argument.

So disney got off it’s Butt give or take 5 years ago...and now that’s rolling out...so they could seize that thunder the next 3 years or fall behind. We don’t know. New fantasyland is nothing...avatar has exceeded all expectations...toy story land is being regarded as good, but just a necessary addition.

What if they underbuilt Star Wars land? What if the Epcot moves don’t get enough people there to draw crowds off the others?

Those arent moon-bat ideas...very legit chance.

So now...the next wave of big things is going to come from universal. They have more reason now than ever after the fox loss. That “full compound” plan could come ASAP. They could also go after big IP and ride systems to highlight them.

Disney is in a position to counter...again...but make no mistake they don’t want too. They don’t want to sink more billions in Orlando trying to expand their audience...because to do so would require re-embracing the “lower classes”. They want no part of that. But there is no pool of 25,000,000 high earners that having gone to WDW waiting to be “convinced”. That number doesn’t not exist.

It’s a very interesting pickle.

I’ll say this: Comcast has become much more of an immediate threat/competition than I thought possible when they entered the fray. Disney’s complacency is largely to blame. The minute they bought potter and started expanding their hotels and service potential...things should have been put into construction. They are not...those responses are not built yet...they are 5-10 years overdue.

Fun to watch...good for the customers.
Good read! Thanks for sharing.

I’m disappointed Disney let the gap shrink. No buts about it. I will say, though, it’s great for us theme park goers. This competition will make for some lovely fun-filled vacations.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Good read! Thanks for sharing.

I’m disappointed Disney let the gap shrink. No buts about it. I will say, though, it’s great for us theme park goers. This competition will make for some lovely fun-filled vacations.

Yes...the problem is the pricing structures are now off and they will attempt to push that limit to pay for their own needed investments. The consumers have to stay vigilant...stop thanking disney for an Internet prebooked blocked ride on the 47 year old Peter Pan track ride to avoid an inexcusable 1-2 hour wait.

That’s THEIR fault...and you shouldn’t pay more for it. It wasn’t like the attendance double overnight...it’s always been predictable slow and steady rise.

erasure fan1

Universal is in no way close to topping them. There’s no possible way imaginable. Lots of pessimism.
That means you haven't been to Wizarding world then. Because there is no possible way imaginable that wizarding world isn't every bit as good as what Disney has done. Look, I'm a Disney guy over all else but even I can see and respect what Uni did with Potter.

CAV

I think everyone's answer would still be yes.
That line of thinking doesn't comport with Disney's business plan. They no longer care about repeat customer. All they want is that one time guest who'll pay through the nose for a once in a lifetime trip.

CP_alum08

I think a huge part of it comes down to research. I have a few coworkers that have gone in recent years and had a not perfect experience because they didn’t research and didn’t know what to expect. I help when I can but I’m also not going to plan someone’s vacation for them if they don’t ask!

That said, I think most of the love for Disney comes from nastalgia. So if there are things you love from recent years (Toy Story, Star Wars, Marvel, etc.) why wouldn’t you love the parks today?

DisneyDoctor

That means you haven't been to Wizarding world then. Because there is no possible way imaginable that wizarding world isn't every bit as good as what Disney has done. Look, I'm a Disney guy over all else but even I can see and respect what Uni did with Potter.
I have been, and yes it’s amazing. BUT, one solid land doesn’t suddenly put Uni in a place to take over WDW. Add 10 more like HP and we can have a conversation.

yedliW

I went for a day at MK and day at EPCOT (Center, at the time) back in the mid 80s, when I was about 10, and then not again until my honeymoon in 2012. I don't remember much at all from the first trip, so I consider the 2012 my 'first trip'.

Disney wouldn't have been my first choice for our honeymoon, mostly because all you hear is how expensive it is, and didn't want to spend the money.. But we went, and after a couple of snafus on the first day, I was hooked, and am now trying to figure out how best to buy a second DVC contract.. and trying to convince the wife to move south were we would be within driving distance of 'Home'.

erasure fan1

I have been, and yes it’s amazing. BUT, one solid land doesn’t suddenly put Uni in a place to take over WDW. Add 10 more like HP and we can have a conversation.
No one is putting them as a whole on Disneys level. The point was Disney was the only gold standard in theme park lands/attractions. Uni showed that they can also do the same. This is part of the erosion I am talking about. If Disney stays its current course and so does Uni, they could take a very large chunk out of Disneys wallet in 10/15 yrs.

Po'Rich

#3 is the real point of contention...not for this particular premise/discussion...but for the differing opinions of parks of longtime fans. That’s hard to quantify how big that division is...but it seems to havs grown greatly over the last 20 or so years...

Everytime somebody says “it’s getting so expensive” out loud...the unsaid clause is “...for the same old stuff”

So #3 is a big deal...more than we tend to admit out loud.

I agree. #3 is crucial for long-term viability of the parks. As long as crowds remain high, Disney will keep raising prices. Yet, to justify those price increases, there needs to be a constant influx of new experiences.

Hcalvert

I don't agree. I think a fair number are losing patience with recent changes. I've seen plenty say they aren't going nearly as often as they used to, and are only waiting for X to open to give it one more chance. I'm not sure I would be as big a fan if I walked in today for the first time ever.

I agree with you and I am one of those people who have had enough for awhile. I have been going to WDW every year since 2004. This last trip was the worst for me that I vowed to take break until 2021. Instead of giving Disney my money the next two years, I am going to redecorate my house and go on a 6-week European vacation...and still not pay more than I would have at Disney. Of course, I have friends and family in Europe, so that makes it a little cheaper for me. ;)

Smiley/OCD

That line of thinking doesn't comport with Disney's business plan. They no longer care about repeat customer. All they want is that one time guest who'll pay through the nose for a once in a lifetime trip.

First, welcome! Now, your comment is one of the most ridiculous I've read yet. Just how many "uber rich", one time visitors do you think Disney would need to survive on them alone? Disney doesn't care about repeat customers? I guess you should write corporate and alert them to that fact so they can stop all the new DVC projects planned, shut down all of the DVC kiosks in the parks and stop selling annual passes.

WDW would NEVER be able to survive without all of us obsessive, compulsive Disney fans...if you don't believe me, just look back to what happened to the parks after 9/11. Attendance didn't just fall, it died...they offered all sorts of discounts, free dining, etc. I would venture to guess that the ratio of returning guests to first time visitors would probably be 75% to 25% in favor of returning guests. Disney needs us MUCH more than the one & done groups...sorry to burst your bubble.

DisneyDoctor

First, welcome! Now, your comment is one of the most ridiculous I've read yet. Just how many "uber rich", one time visitors do you think Disney would need to survive on them alone? Disney doesn't care about repeat customers? I guess you should write corporate and alert them to that fact so they can stop all the new DVC projects planned, shut down all of the DVC kiosks in the parks and stop selling annual passes.

WDW would NEVER be able to survive without all of us obsessive, compulsive Disney fans...if you don't believe me, just look back to what happened to the parks after 9/11. Attendance didn't just fall, it died...they offered all sorts of discounts, free dining, etc. I would venture to guess that the ratio of returning guests to first time visitors would probably be 75% to 25% in favor of returning guests. Disney needs us MUCH more than the one & done groups...sorry to burst your bubble.
It seems that of late DVC rentals are getting more attention than new resorts.

crxbrett

Yes.

I may not exactly prefer some of the changes that the parks have seen in the last decade or so - upcharge events left and right, FP+, having to plan what I am eating or riding 60+ days in advance. But for me personally, there is still plenty to love about WDW. It's why I still keep coming back.

Personally, the handful of negatives still do not hold enough weight to overtake or offest the many positives I still enjoy when I go.

Smiley/OCD

Lest anyone think that I am just another "pixie duster", I worked in the retail music business for over 30 years as well as owning my own record store. I experienced FIRST HAND what happens when you (as an industry) get complacent and feel you're "king of the hill" and nothing can destroy their business and destroy what they had. The major labels NEVER believed that Napster (remember them?) and downloading would ever destroy the business. They never thought illegal downloading would effect the music business...man, were THEY wrong!!! They were arrogant with not only the chains but the consumers as well. They learned the hard way that they couldn't compete with free and then had to run with their tails between their legs to the likes of Apple to get their royalties and payment for single downloads.

Could the same happen to Disney? Absolutely! I just hope that they learned their lesson from past business mistakes...it's one thing to "drop the ball"...it's another to throw the ball away. Am I happy with an IP being attached to every new attraction? NOPE, but I also know that the consumers (especially the children) in 2018 have attention spans of a gnat and in many cases and can't use their imaginations without having something they're familiar with attached to the attractions. Drop the ball? Yes, it happens in life and business. I just hope they don't take their eyes OFF the ball.

eliza61nyc

Original Poster

But 9/11 was a one time event (God willing, I don't even want to live in a world where this can happen often) so most business would not use that as a business model.

I fully disagee.

the "uber" rich are not one time visitors. I wasn't. While I don't think Disney would survive I do think that Disney makes most of it's "profit" on the one or two time visitors. The one time visitor usually is fairly middle class who has either saved for the once in a life trip or is simply charging it.

I don't think disney "needs" us at all. We are not the one buying over priced Mickey ears. We are not the ones eating every meal as a character meal.

I wonder if there is a way to find out the % of one or two time guest. Also another thing, are we including locals in the returning guest. The locals I know who go to Disney don't spend much at all. they don't eat on site often and the certainly are not buying the merchandise.

Yes you can stuff the parks with people but it's how much those folks spend that's important. one of the reasons why the world wants you in their little bubble never to leave.

I'm not any statistician, i'm just postulating

Last edited:

LaunchPadMcQuack

Disney is definitely not for everyone. If you like a nice relaxing vacation where you can do what you want, when you want it is not for you. To truly enjoy Disney World you have to enjoy being constantly on the go and having most of your itinerary planned out months in advance. My family and I go 1-2 times per year because we love it.

We have gone with other families and have spoken to other families that have gone and will never go back. They did not like the fact that for many restaurants you have to book your reservation so far in advance and that they couldn't just got to a restaurant on a whim.

Also, some were not aware of Fastpass+ and felt that they didn't get to experience all of the rides they wanted to.

Some adults also have a hard time letting themselves be kids on their vacation. My wife and I act like big kids when we are there and I believe this kind of attitude enhances the experience for our children.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom