Do you think you would be a Disney fan if your first time was recently?

DisneyDids

We took my parents to WDW for their first visit in 2015. They had such a blast that we all went back again in 2017. We’re now planning our next visit for the 50th anniversary in 2021 and they’ve asked whether they could join us for a third time. Given that they will be 76 and 74 respectively by then and have to endure 2 x 9 hour flights from/to the UK each time, I think that tells you all you need to know about how much they love the place!

Darkseid

My first visit was in 2005, so definitely more than 10 years ago, but still in the proximity. I was an adult the first time I went, but I had begged my parents to take me as a kid. It was a dream for me. I went there with high expectations and was not at all disappointed. Each visit since has been wonderful.

That being said, I took a first-timer with me on my last trip. He was not super interested in going and really didn't have any preconceived notions. He was disappointed and does not plan to go again.

In my case, I believe a lot of it has to do with who we are in general. I tend to be someone that can find the magic in anything and I focus more on the positive aspects than the flaws. He is quite the opposite.

SteveV

My first visit was summer 2002, I loved it and went consistently until 2011 when, due to a change in personal circumstances I haven't been since. I now have two children, 5 and 3, and whilst I am really looking forward to going with them, my experience based on spending approx 100 weeks at the world between 2002 and 2011 is that they need to be older to cope with the heat, the crowds, the walking etc. So we're planning 2022 return.
We are in the UK and since my daughter has started school it is noticeable that a trip to Disney world for most kids and parents is a 'go once and tick off the experience' type mentality, whereas I believe it used to be go and go again if it was your thing.
So I think if you're of the mentality to enjoy the parks and that type of vacation then you would fall in love and keep returning but most people seem to be 'collecting experiences' now and there are lots of different places accessible to travel to, more so than in previous decades.
I think Disney pricing also creates this type of mentality because, from the UK certainly, whilst you can get some great 'deals' you definitely pay a premium for a vacation in the world compared to say a Californian road trip, a stay in New York, Toronto, Denver, Miami etc. This creates a one visit, do everything approach for a number of guests and this one night stand type thinking is never going to lead to 'love'!

Debbie

My first visit was in 1976 with the cheapest ticket book offered. My family never spent a week of vacation anywhere, so we did one day at WDW. (Here is a little throwback trivia: 1976 was our Bi-Centennial and everywhere you turned was special promotions for it. Kennedy Space Center had a nice one) While I came away from my first visit disappointed, my next visit, in 1981, with my mom's sister and her family made me the fan I am today. Do I think I would be a fan visiting just now? I would---and I'm glad my sons are as well

winstongator

I'm an interesting case. I went a couple times as a kid, but did not really enjoy it. Or, more accurately, the long-term memories of the trips are negative: arguing over costs, long lines, not doing enough of the rides I wanted to do. This shaped my avoiding the parks for a long time. However, I had a field trip that went behind the scenes, I remember the utilidoors, and also remember going to wetlands around WDW for a nature expedition - it was around 30 years ago, so my memories of this are spotty. I loved the Fox and the Hound and Robin Hood growing up, loved Disney nature films, enjoyed the Disney channel. But the parks - expensive tickets & hotels, full of crying kids and overpriced food & merch.

15 years go by, I've got kids, make the money decisions myself, FP+ gives me a few lines I can skip solving the prior problems. But the smiles on my kids faces and the memories we've made, mostly, the past 5-6 years (1 visit in each 2013 & 2014, AP 2015-2017) are priceless. It is expensive, but it is less than a lot of our other vacations because we can drive. I let my kids decide how to spend their merchandise budget. Food is expensive everywhere. I try to pack as much reasonably healthy stuff as I can which we usually do breakfast. Try to bring water bottles, and we're off soda as a family (those $3.50 diet cokes rankle my wife).

To the changes, I really enjoy some of the newer stuff - haven't seen the newest stuff yet. Looking forward to upcoming changes: Galaxy's Edge, Guardians & Tron coasters, Ratatouille. Have a trip planned in Nov around Thanksgiving and will go back to being a pass holder.

winstongator

I don't think that's a fair answer...If a person went for the first time 5-10 years ago, and just recently went again, chances are they wouldn't be a regular reader of these threads...to the average once or twice visitor, IMO, they would be (for the most part) satisfied with the parks in 2018. Considering the additions made with TSL, and the additions still being made, I think they would love the parks. The average park goer is not a "doom & gloomer" like MANY of the writers on these threads. I STILL say that much of what makes your vacation to Disney is what you put into it...if you're entering the gates with a preconceived notion that you're not going to have a good time, and spent the visit LOOKING for something wrong...GUESS WHAT? You're going to find something wrong...probably lots of things wrong. I'm a firm believer that you get out of a visit largely what you put into it.

My first visit was in 1993 on my honeymoon...I enjoyed my last visit in November 2017 MORE than that first visit. Yes, there were attractions open then that aren't there now, 20K leagues, Mr Toad, and subsequent visits, the original Soarin', Innoventions, etc. but I'm not getting out of our truck in the resort parking lot with a puss on my face because they're not there anymore. It's kinda a glass half full/ half empty problem. I happen to live my life looking for the good and trying to tune out the bad. If everyone would do that, many guests visits would have MUCH better stay at WDW.
Was the ride I most remember enjoying from my trips as a kid.

One major complaint can be costs, but very few things aren't trying to maximize your spending (national parks are one, so go out and visit those!). "Regular" tailgaters have professional-grade catered tents in Gainesville. Cost for a lot of college football games has become astronomical (sadly Gator tix still reasonable because we stunk last year). But for both WDW & CFB, you can enjoy them at reasonable costs.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
so true! haha. So many "doom and gloomers" on this site. So many negative writers trying to let people down. I agree with this guy so much lol.

Talking about things while wearing “the big boy pants”...ie attmepting to discuss somewhat based on reality...is not “doom and gloom” by default. It can be...but it can also be a somewhat intelligent exchange that compartmentalizes issues discussing finer points.

...lol, haha, lol🤪

Last edited:

LUVofDIS

o true! haha. So many "doom and gloomers" on this site. So many negative writers trying to let people down. I agree with this guy so much lol.

There are a few posts where people get a little over dramatic, okay, sometimes wayyyyyy over dramatic. But being critical of something you love, are passionate about or just really care about is healthy. These things can educate and possibly change the direction of what is going on. Companies sometimes actually listen to there customers complaints and try to accommodate them. Being critical or as you put it "doom and gloomers" could actually better things. If people on this board are told by a majority that this certain upcharge event is totally not worth it, less people could end up doing it and Disney could stop offering it. When I insult or am critical of something at or by Disney its because I care and I hope that it will change and change for the better.

My personal feeling though, if the first time I visited WDW was in the last five to ten years, yes I think I would still love it as much as I do. To me it is still way above anything else, at least amusement park wise, that I have experienced. Universal would be the closest park for me, and without HP would be even further behind WDW.

Goofyernmost

Yes, A first timer with a firm grip on their inner child will find WDW as great as those of us the went there early on. I was 35 on my first visit in 1983 and was blown over by what WDW was, but, since I wasn't seeing it through the rose colored glasses of a child, I also saw things that were less then perfect. I think that people that experienced Disney at a young age, back then, are not really remembering what it was really like. The external things, the excitement, the colors, the music, the fun rides and shows bombarded all of us, young or old, with a feeling of experiencing something special. Later on when the glow of everything started to get faded by our repeated exposure to it, we started to notice the less then shiny things and our distorted memories compared that and assumed that thing were so much better early on.

I have gone on record more then once that we just didn't noticed a lot of that stuff when we first went because we were all gob-smacked by the shiny stuff. That doesn't mean it was bad back then, but, it did mean that in many ways it is brighter, visually more pleasing and a lot of fun, even if in different ways as back in the "good old days".

I loved 20K, but really it was a slow boat ride that didn't really submerge and fish were attached with lines to the bottom. It was different and something you didn't experience everyday. I guess if you go by stereotypical thoughts someone my age would be upset because some of the things are now gone since the first time I saw it, but, some of the things that replaced them were terrific and much better then the low tech stuff that proceeded it. My only wish is that if they are going to close down something, either level it or put something else in it's place as quickly as possible. Closed attractions or dining places just makes it look like they are on the verge of going bankrupt. I don't think that they are short of money yet. I am a believer that some classics should remain for as long as they still draw a crowd, but, if they are not living up to their original expectations then it is time for something new. For example, contrary to some, TGMR was no were near the draw that it was in the beginning. I always rode it because I like it, but, I am much more excited about seeing the new Mickey ride then once again sitting through the sameness. By its nature, TGMR had to be that way unless they changed the whole story line and then people would be upset about that as well. Horizons was another that just lost its following from a more "thrill" thirsty public. It was design for around 2000 riders per hour, but, by the end, they were lucky to get 200 an hour. Why, I don't know because there were a lot of people that had never seen it before, but, for those of us that went often, something new was what was needed. Two deaths on Mission: Space confirmed the "thrill" connections and it is fun to ride (if you lived through it, I did.

Social media, like this one and others, along with the gloom and doomers, had a roll to play in forcing preconceived notions about what things were like, also You Tube, managed to allow people to be exposed before they actually ever saw it and really didn't get an accurate view of what they would have seen if they had parked their butts in the omni-movers and faux space ships.

WDW and Disney itself, is a much more complicated destination now. That doesn't mean bad, just more stressful, if you let it be, or, and this is very real, expensive to the point of causing major financial stress if experienced in the way that Disney wants to make you think is necessary for a good time. Once again they are speaking with their bank account. People are free to feel that the "total" experience is necessary, but, some of us enjoy it immensely and still return home with a few bucks in our pocket. It all depends on our individual priorities. However, a lot of the stress is self imposed.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

There are a few posts where people get a little over dramatic, okay, sometimes wayyyyyy over dramatic. But being critical of something you love, are passionate about or just really care about is healthy. These things can educate and possibly change the direction of what is going on. Companies sometimes actually listen to there customers complaints and try to accommodate them. Being critical or as you put it "doom and gloomers" could actually better things. If people on this board are told by a majority that this certain upcharge event is totally not worth it, less people could end up doing it and Disney could stop offering it. When I insult or am critical of something at or by Disney its because I care and I hope that it will change and change for the better.

My personal feeling though, if the first time I visited WDW was in the last five to ten years, yes I think I would still love it as much as I do. To me it is still way above anything else, at least amusement park wise, that I have experienced. Universal would be the closest park for me, and without HP would be even further behind WDW.
Life lesson here. Disney could not possibly care less about what individual people think about anything. If the group is large enough, they might make a note of it, however, they only listen to the bottom line. All the advice, suggestions or critical musings from the people that they feel have no real idea about how a theme park should be run, mean nothing until the money stops flowing. It hasn't done anything like that recently.

JusticeDisney

I’ll be honest, I just don’t get all the complaints about modern-day Disney World. I mean, is it different than it was in the 80’s? Of course it is, but so is literally every other thing in the world. That, however, doesn’t necessarily make it worse. To me, Disney World is still every bit as fun, magical, and memory-making as it was the very first time I went back in 1982. By way of example, my son is now 11 years old and we have gone with him every year since 2008. He absolutely adores Disney World and still lights up every time we get there. Just like I did when I was his age in 1982.

Oh well, I guess complainers are just going to complain. Too bad they didn’t just stop going, though. Would make the crowds much more manageable for the rest of us!

erasure fan1

Life lesson here. Disney could not possibly care less about what individual people think about anything. If the group is large enough, they might make a note of it, however, they only listen to the bottom line. All the advice, suggestions or critical musings from the people that they feel have no real idea about how a theme park should be run, mean nothing until the money stops flowing. It hasn't done anything like that recently.
exactly. I talk about the things I think have gone the wrong direction all the time. But do I think anything will change, absolutely not. I vote with my wallet and even then they won't care because people are still coming in hordes. We had a streak of going to the parks 16 out of 18yr. We have a trip planned for 2019, if we go, it will have been almost 5yrs since last time. But I do believe they are walking a slippery slope. Right now things are fine for them but I'm not convinced this attitude about the parks can hold up and the bubble won't burst.

JIMINYCR

Yes. I am still a fan after all my trips and would still be a fan if I was a new park goer. WDW was always a destination I dreamt about throughout my childhood and after realizing that dream as an adult I kept returning. Ive been fortunate enough to have the ability to have my DW and DS experience it all with me. It has never disappointed me or gotten me to even consider not going back. I will say that the increasing crowd levels, the necessity to plan everything so far in advance, the security checks, some of the decisions made by Iger and others, are all troublesome to me. But a trip to Disney still gets me just as excited as the first one we took many years ago. I enjoy it all and dont let the Disney experience sour because of things out of my control.

lostpro9het

Early '80s kiddo here so I'm sucked in with nostalgia. I continuously go back grasping for that small bit of kid feeling that hasn't been smashed by "enhancements". If my first visits were under the Iger reign as an adult I probably wouldn't be coming back. If my first visit were under the Iger reign as kid, I just dont know.

OneofThree

No way. My psychosis is entirely the result of early exposure to the real magic, circa 1984.
1533480884346.png

DisneyDoctor

I think it depends on the age. I wouldn't expect a teenager visiting for the first time to become a lifelong fan. I'm not sure an adult would fall in love with it either.

The attitude that dominates airways, radio talkshows and, most importantly, social media is one of pessimism and negativity. People like to complain more than compliment, find flaws in everything more than appreciate what's in front of them. IMO, this idea alone could bar a first timer from enjoying WDW. "The lines are too long. It's too hot. My feet hurt." Yada yada yada.

Obviously, everyone doesn't subscribe to these same pessimistic ideals mentioned above, but enough people do that I believe we would see less interest if WDW was developed today rather in in the past.

Also, response bias is huge. This is a WDW forum...

Nottamus

My first visit was in 98. The wife and I went the first time in 2014 on account of all my stories of 1998.

Well. I loved it again. She loved it. We went again in 2014, then again 2 times in 15..bought into DVC in 16, and now we go twice a year every year and love every trip. Look forward to it...

Not because of what’s there, but because WE are there...like many people said already....looking for the good, tuning out the bad.

Isn’t that what vacations are supposed to be for?

Raineman

We will be taking our niece to WDW for her first visit next fall. She is a teenager, not a child, so I am doing everything I can to not precondition her before we go. I would hate it if she joined a forum like this, TBH, because it may give her a pessimistic view of WDW before she ever steps foot on property. As for me, I know I would still love WDW even if my first trip was today. State fairs and local amusement parks have got absolutely nothing on any Disney theme park, and never will, IMO.

voodoo321

Purely anectdotal but in the past year I've visited with two separate families that had never been. Neither were impressed. They thought it wasn't worthy of all the hype. They all had fun but have no intention of ever going back. The main complaints were all the planning involved, crowds, and price, which all leads to stress. The quality of the resort didn't overcome the negatives for them so the value wasn't there. That is the main attitude I hear on the street as well. I think all of that is true and many aspects of WDW that I enjoyed in its first 25 years have been diminishing. I guess most people don't see it that way, because they still pack em in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom