Do you think you would be a Disney fan if your first time was recently?

PTL76

DHS is so different now then it was years ago. I remember taking a tour of the animation studio and watch Disney artists working on the cells of the Lion King. I remember when Tom Hanks production company was working on “From Earth to the moon”. This and times change not always for the better but companies need to evolve as do theme parks in order to survive. Of course I also remember “E” tickets.

Crazymikelee

I would still be amazed. I live in San Francisco and it is a TOURIST city. We have lines for coffee, milk tea, pastries, ice cream, brunch, breakfast, lunch, dinner, cable car, ferry rides, and our airport has the longest security checkpoint waits. We do not have a theme park per se so the closest thing would be the Pier 39. I would trade Pier 39 for Disney Springs in a heartbeat. Basically what I am trying to say is that crowds and wait times will only increase as our population grows.

One of my fondest memories are the first time I was lucky enough to travel to Disneyworld with my parents in 1994. I have never been to Disneyland Paris or Tokyo and I am giddy with anticipation at the chance of being able to go to those parks one day.

I admit I am a victim of the moment. When an attraction breaksdown or a souvenir is out of stock during our Disney vacation I freak out and act like the park owes me a perfect experience each time. When I sit back and reflect, there is always more good than bad when I'm at Disney :)

KimAnnFran

After standing shoulder to shoulder in line during the summer of 2003, I swore I’d never go back to WDW... especially when I could spend a bit more at Universal and get a VIP tour that allowed me to see everything in about five hours. Since then, WDW has added premium tours... but none that can compare with Universal’s. Last year, however, I retired and decided to return during, what I researched was the lowest attendance week during the year... one week in February (no holidays, no special group days, no celebrations). We were stoked to go back and guess what...... just as flipping crowded as summertime. Shoulder to shoulder. People walking into one another while staring at their phones. Some cutting in line. Just no magic left. I know the majority thrive on this sort of energy, but I want to get away from the madness of the world and get lost in the magic that was once Disney. Half way through the week, I took my son to Universal and we saw and rode everything we wanted in BOTH parks and were home by four. C’mon, Imagineers... come up with a solution. Here’s one idea... build a third American theme park in the middle of the US.

I've never understood why they don't do crowd control and stop building more hotels when they can't accommodate the people in the Parks. Oh wait I do understand it's about money, but logically it would make sense to stop bringing more people there and to have a cap of how many u let in the Parks every day? Probably way harder than it seems

MonoMan

I would honestly say no. It is fun to plan for vacations but now the Disney parks are getting so busy, with FP+ planning months out and Disney's website crashing when trying to make reservations I would say my latest experience is quite frustrating. We have gone from annual trips to now once every 5-6 years. I recently had a friend who went for the first time and they won't be back.

Jedi Stitch

My first WDW trip was Jan '16. Compared to Disneyland, you guys on the East coast have a great place. We were amazed, that with 7 days we still never saw or experienced everything from every park. Yes, we spent most of our time in MK. I still have areas unexplored in DAK, but that was because they were under renovation. Only scratched the surface of EPCOT. DHS, yes we did experience 85% of the park in one day. Will I love to experience Pandora, yes, Toy Storyland sure, Star wars, absolutely. What you are forgetting, is that you do have MB and FP+ on your side. If you want to stay cheaper on property, you can. At DLR, it is 300+ for a room to stay in the cheap resort. Or you can stay for the same price as a value resort with a Good Neighbor hotel. They give EMH 3x a week.

Cpt. Sassypants

Personally I couldn't say whether I would feel the same way now as I did back in the early 90's when I went for the first time. The parks while somewhat similar are drastically different in other respects. While the technology on some of the rides has vastly improved the experience, the route the parks are taking I fear is where it will lose it's magic for some. Disney is amazing in what it does for kids and still can bring the magic but what I think and I'm sure others think this too is what makes Disney unique is not just the hospitality but the rides itself. My biggest fear with the company is that Disney is just going to turn into another Universal Studio's except using it's own IPO's for attractions. What I loved about Disney was not just the classic's from certain movies/books but the other non IPO's rides. Such as Pirates, Splash, Space, Haunted, Figment, Spaceship earth, etc.. That's just me though and while I understand Disney has to find a way to bring in the new kids who might of not grown up on the classics like some of us I still feel they should actively find ways to add non IPO's rides and experiences as well. It would be great if Disney made a 5th park and called it something along the lines of Timeless or The Disney Vault. Bring back the old attractions of yesteryear that were popular and had a following but were moved due to progress. From Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, 30,000 leagues under the sea, the entire area of Wonders of Life, Original figment, World of Motion, etc.. Bringing back the timeless classics that were lost and be able to show some of the younger generation what they missed out on. Would love to hear Yall's thoughts, Have a Magical Day!

Cado603

Or let's say during Iger reign. If you did a first time visit say during the last 5-10 years or would you think it was a step above a carnival or state fair?
I would vote NO. I loved Disney til Iger arrived and sadly have lost my total Disney love. Just declined a Disney visit with family/grandkids in July.

Dog Ate Mouse

WDW cannot be compared to a Carnival or a State Fair. It is so much more than that. WDW is still and always will be mind blowing to first timers now and moving forward. I was at WDW when PanAm had it's attraction and captain Nemo Submarines was running. Also went on the sky cars and still remember the Carousel of progress. I have seen a lot of changes over the years, some good and some wish they never had done that. But these changes did not affect me or my fun at WDW. It's kind of like losing a close loved them. You miss them, remember them but life goes on and time heals the pain. You have fun again and laugh and smile and have those remember when moments. You see everything changes and nothing stays the same. However at WDW the fun and excitement are still there and they have new attractions to see and experience. I will never stop going and there is so much to see and do. WDW is so much more than your normal amusement park, It is a resort where you laugh and smile and get involved and act like a kid again and when I am there there is no cares in the world except for meals and what would you like to do and see today. I truly feel the name Walt Disney World is exactly that. It is a whole other world in this world that we live in. You just have to let your imagination run wild, remember to act like a kid again, have fun and don't be judgmental or try to debunk the magic. Instead of trying to find what is wrong how about finding hidden Mickeys and looking at everything that is right. The magic is allowing yourself to be carefree and let your imagination run wild and laugh and have a good time. WDW is such a special place form me and my wife and we have grown up there and always are happy and act goofy when we arrive back home in one of the resorts. Lastly if you feel the need to act like an adult then go to some of the fine restaurants and have some wine. Or get taken away by piano Bob at PORS and see how quickly you transform back into a good time and feel great to being in WDW. I cannot explain the magic of WDW and never try to. I know when one day I close my eyes I will never long or pine for wishing I would have just gone there and acted differently and wish I was a kid again.

Sincerely
Dog Ate Mouse

BraveGirl

Yes of course. I miss the old Disney from the 80s and 90s but still love the current iteration. Sure, I wish some things were the same as they used to be but that doesn't make me love it any less.

My best friend had her first trip when she came with me in 2015 and has turned into a Disney convert. Been to DL since then and is coming back to WDW with me in a few weeks.

TeddyinMO

Just got back from my first trip to the World since 2012 and having been to Disneyland in both 2015 and 2017. Simply put, it was fantastic. Every cast member was wonderful, the new rides were loved by all of our family. Toy Story and 7 Dwarfs were excellent and Avatar was out of this world. The overall condition of the parks was great with obvious upgrades in several areas (Peter Pan being the most obvious). It was crowded, but it was July, so no surprise there. But we got to do every ride we wanted to, only waiting 60+ mins for Slinky and FOP. I was a fan before, and after this trip, I am even more excited about the future of the parks.

geekza

I've been to WDW five times, starting as a four-year-old in 1976. My wife will be going for the first time ever in November. I'm a little obsessed with the parks and have talked them up to her for years. It will be interesting to get her impressions on the place as I've discovered that she really doesn't have a good concept of just what an overwhelming experience it can be. She's more afraid that I won't have a good time because I'm so excited to be going back after twelve years. I'm starting to fear that I may have over-hyped the place and that she'll be let down. I don't know, though. Even with the many, many things that I feel have been lost at WDW, I still think that, overall, it will be a fun experience for her. Our perspectives will definitely be completely different from one another's.

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
You're framing this thread with an awfully low bar for comparing apples to oranges. I'd bet that 99% would rate any theme park above a carnival or state fair. :)

Actually that's the way quite a number of post have referred to the new rides. Specifically the alien spin was described as a carnival fair ride and evidently because slinky dog has outside tracks it's also considered inferior.

briandoc

Or let's say during Iger reign. If you did a first time visit say during the last 5-10 years or would you think it was a step above a carnival or state fair?

I was born in 1971 and have been going every year since Oct 1971. Recently, as many as 2-3 times a year in the last 9 years and that's driving every time from Pennsylvania. Why so much in the last 9 years (your time frame for this post)? Because I introduced my new wife, who had never been there, to WDW and she absolutely fell in love too. We had 2 kids quickly afterwards and we've been going steadily multiple times a year. Sure, we have complaints but we love it way more than we dislike certain elements. Doom and gloom be damned, we still love it! Brian

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom