Do you think you would be a Disney fan if your first time was recently?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Was the ride I most remember enjoying from my trips as a kid.

One major complaint can be costs, but very few things aren't trying to maximize your spending (national parks are one, so go out and visit those!). "Regular" tailgaters have professional-grade catered tents in Gainesville. Cost for a lot of college football games has become astronomical (sadly Gator tix still reasonable because we stunk last year). But for both WDW & CFB, you can enjoy them at reasonable costs.

Tangent alert:

What do you think of Meyer being exposed as the scumbag that everyone already knew he was?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Purely anectdotal but in the past year I've visited with two separate families that had never been. Neither were impressed. They thought it wasn't worthy of all the hype. They all had fun but have no intention of ever going back. The main complaints were all the planning involved, crowds, and price, which all leads to stress. The quality of the resort didn't overcome the negatives for them so the value wasn't there. That is the main attitude I hear on the street as well. I think all of that is true and many aspects of WDW that I enjoyed in its first 25 years have been diminishing. I guess most people don't see it that way, because they still pack em in.

That’s actually the FAILURE of the iger era...but it hasn’t become a mainstream opinion yet. It will...both from a brand loyalty perspective and an economic perspective.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Jumping in here, Urban Meyer can fall off the side of the earth. But, still won't lose his job.

I think he’s done...

As a still embarrassed penn state guy...the one thing that could loosely be termed “good” out of that embarrassing poopshow was that moving forwards there will be nowhere to hide for pig headed college athletic programs...the public now watches and there is too much pressure on the sponsors...

That’s why he falls...the business of money is affected.

Even the tools in Ohio can’t overlook this one 😎

Disstevefan1

Absolutely! We enjoy it now more than ever. To be fair, we don't have to budget for vacations anymore. There was a time when we had to watch every penny. Now we can do whatever we want to. Maybe that's a factor in my current love of the place.

I agree, I think it think a lot of how you feel about the parks comes down to the value for the money spent. When cost is no longer a consideration, when cost is not a limit, you can make every visit special; the best resorts, club level , extra fast passes, dinner packages, all the hard ticket events, even VIP tours etc. And let's face it, Disney loves these type of visitors the best, they make the most money on these visitors, and these visitors have the best time at the parks and resorts, all else being equal..

You can have a blast at WDW if you are willing to pay for it....

DisneyDoctor

I think he’s done...

As a still embarrassed penn state guy...the one thing that could loosely be termed “good” out of that embarrassing poopshow was that moving forwards there will be nowhere to hide for pig headed college athletic programs...the public now watches and there is too much pressure on the sponsors...

That’s why he falls...the business of money is affected.

Even the tools in Ohio can’t overlook this one 😎
I hope he's done. NCAA ought to set a huge example.

pluto77

That’s a very hard question to answer, but I think I would be. You have to take into consideration everything else that shaped your view of Disney. I mean, I went for my first time at 8 years old, so if I was 8 years old today going to the parks, then I wouldn’t know or expect anything different. I think it would be just as magical.

I took my now husband for the first time in 2010. He figured he’d enjoy it, but didn’t have high expectations. Now he likes the parks just as much as I do. We then took his parents in 2016 for their first time, and they both fell in love with them too. His dad was especially surprised. I think what surprised him the most is that we didn’t have to wait in lines nearly as much as he was expecting. Of course, it did help that he went with 2 people who knew what they were doing as far as being strategic with fast passes and when to go on rides. Now we, along with his parents, are taking his brother’s family for their first time next year!

Po'Rich

I did. Although I had a brief visit to Disneyland sometime in the early 1990s, my first visit to WDW was in 2012. Compared to what I had seen before (Worlds of Fun in KC, Six Flags in St. Louis, and Silver Dollar City), I was blown away by how much Disney gets right. The parks still impress with their attention to theming, and their customer service is still way above what you will find elsewhere.

On that same trip in 2012, we left WDW to go to Legoland. Legoland was nice, but we admitted that it was a bit of a letdown after WDW. We wished we would have done the trip in the opposite order. After WDW, other amusement parks just are not the same.

Since we returned, we have gone 3 additional times (2014, 2015, 2017) and we're planning a trip for next spring. I follow these boards quite a bit (checking in almost daily) to keep up-to-date on possible changes and rumors. I also really enjoy Martin's videos that make me a bit wistful for a WDW that I didn't experience. Yet, I still really enjoy the parks as they are now. I try not to get caught up in the negativity because, for me, WDW represents an escape from negativity. If I want to be down or upset, all I have to do is watch the news.

erasure fan1

Purely anectdotal but in the past year I've visited with two separate families that had never been. Neither were impressed. They thought it wasn't worthy of all the hype. They all had fun but have no intention of ever going back. The main complaints were all the planning involved, crowds, and price, which all leads to stress. The quality of the resort didn't overcome the negatives for them so the value wasn't there. That is the main attitude I hear on the street as well. I think all of that is true and many aspects of WDW that I enjoyed in its first 25 years have been diminishing. I guess most people don't see it that way, because they still pack em in.
My mom and sister just came back. The response I got when I asked them about it was very similar to yours. "I don't think we'll go back again." Both have only been twice in the last 20yrs so this was the 3rd. Too much money, planning... all came up. They didn’t like FP+ or the fact that it was so hard to get meal reservations... It was just too much for 2 people who don't get joy out of micro planning everything.

wendysue

No. Too expensive and crowded. I wouldn't have a comparison to 5-10 years ago and would not know: how much cheaper the whole vacation was, how much better the food was, how less crowded it was, etc. But knowing all of that, I can now just plan shorter vacations at a value resort and bring some of my own food or rent a car for a day and stock up.
Next month will probably be the last one for a long time though, as park tickets are now out of reach. We will just be going to the Halloween party at MK and only one day to one of the parks. Probably HS to see Toy Story Land. Sure is different from back when we could park hop and afford to eat....

Genie_naughty_whispers

I think iger has a negative effect on the company as a whole. But the shift to throwing non Disney IPs in the parks is all him. In doing that he is shutting down his imagineers innovative Disney IP ideas.

Plus his drive to price out the consumer. While I understand capitalism and it’s beauty, iger shifted the scope from Walt’s vision of a place for all to a place for some. It isn’t like they needed to do it to keep it afloat.

DisneyDoctor

I think iger has a negative effect on the company as a whole. But the shift to throwing non Disney IPs in the parks is all him. In doing that he is shutting down his imagineers innovative Disney IP ideas.

Plus his drive to price out the consumer. While I understand capitalism and it’s beauty, iger shifted the scope from Walt’s vision of a place for all to a place for some. It isn’t like they needed to do it to keep it afloat.
Attendance is at an all time high..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom