Do you think they will ever extend the Monorail?

Connor002 said:
Ha!
Humor me, please.

It's a fact that every year more and more people visist WDW. You will see more hotels being added as well as transportation. Years ago the Polynesian used to be the high end resort. I don't think anyone ever thought that they would add another high end resort but they did. Cost is not an issue.

goofntink

ISTCNavigator57 said:
I think you are overgeneralizing. The monorail, as it is now, isn't efficient enought to become a property-wide transportation system, but several cities now use monorail systems that work incredibly efficiently--I was very impressed with the Las Vegas Monorail. To say Disney is never going to expand the monorail is too short-sighted. If the world remained as it is today, they would never expand the monorail, but the world won't. We may very well have flying cars in 100 years, which would change things completely. If you consider the state of transportation a 100 years ago, I'm not sure how anyone can make any statement of how we will travel in a few decades.

Guess you don't know that the Monorail in Vegas is actually old monorails that were bought from Walt Disney World. They were refurbed by Bombardier,after Disney sold them to MGM GRAND.

wannab@dis

GarryandLindy said:
It's a fact that every year more and more people visist WDW. You will see more hotels being added as well as transportation. Years ago the Polynesian used to be the high end resort. I don't think anyone ever thought that they would add another high end resort but they did. Cost is not an issue.
How is cost not an issue? :veryconfu

darrin

you know, as old as this conversation/thread is, I too have wondered for some time now why they haven't expanded the monorail? Only makes sense since the buses can take a while, and a fair amount of guest's don't drive their personal vehicles. It'd be great to see an expanded monorail...maybe from the airport to WDW...?...:lol:

Shaman

Personally, I think it comes down to whether they should invest in more buses, in an expansion of the current monorail system or create a new transportation system similar to the monorails but with more capacity, closer to the ground and with more efficient and effective access points.

I don't think we can rule any of those options out. Someone made a point earlier in this thread about traffic and congestion increasing....I think the more cars clog the streets the better the chances of seeing some more WDW transportation modifications.

A while ago, somone posted a rumor about various changes that will come to buses and bus stops...the changes made sense...I'm no expert, but I suppose buses make more business sense...right now.

*shrug*

Chape19714

goofntink said:
Guess you don't know that the Monorail in Vegas is actually old monorails that were bought from Walt Disney World. They were refurbed by Bombardier,after Disney sold them to MGM GRAND.
The old WDW trains in vegas were replaced by automated trains a few years ago. As of now, none of the old WDW trains are in service.
My solution: Golf carts for everyone!
YA! I can get from Magic Kingdom to Animal Kingdom in just 2 hours!!! :lol:
Super-spped golf carts that go 60mph would work, but I may as well just drive my car.

GaryT977

As much as I would like to see the monorail system expanded to include all of the parks, especially animal kingdom and animal kingdom lodge, I really don't think it's going to happen. It's not just a matter of adding another monorail beam or two.

The system is designed to handle the 12 trains it currently has. In order to expand the system you would have to either demolish the monorail shop and start over or add another monorail shop, you would have to do serious work to the transportation and ticket center to accomodate more beams, and obviously you would need more trains. I really don't see this happening.

Also, these are electric trains. As a safety issue, any monorail station has to be staffed so long as power is supplied to the beam(s).

As for the monorails being useful transportation, we move 360+ people every two minutes on the express beam, which seems highly efficient to me.

Disney is testing alternative fuels in the buses right now. There was a notice at transportation base requesting feedback in the use of these new fuels.

Connor002

GarryandLindy said:
I do not understand your logic (or lack there of...).
Hotels are in no way comparable to the monorail system. A hotel houses guests, keeping them on-site, and makes for massive profit.

For a monorail there is... no definable profit...

And still, you have no basis for "Cost is not an issue."

Rayray

I would love to see a track that extends only to a few Epcot resorts. A track to Swan, Dolphin, Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach, and Epcot (maybe even MGM). These relatively cost as much the MK monorail resorts and deserve better transportion. If something like that was done, then a lot of the buses could be taken off of the road.

BTW, read somewhere that it costs approximately $10,000 for each foot of Disney monorail track. I'm sure that has all costs included. That's $52.8 million per mile. Please correct me if I'm wrong (that sounds about right though).

imagineer boy

Well, here's a thought I've always had. If the monorail is too expensive, why not use something like a metro link train ( like the ones used to transport guests at HKDL ) to connect the resorts to the other parks? I don't think it wouldn't nearly be as expensive as the monorails since they don't have to be elevated.

TimeTrip

imagineer boy said:
Well, here's a thought I've always had. If the monorail is too expensive, why not use something like a metro link train ( like the ones used to transport guests at HKDL ) to connect the resorts to the other parks? I don't think it wouldn't nearly be as expensive as the monorails since they don't have to be elevated.

Noone ever said the monorail had to be elevated ;)

cloudboy

GaryT977 said:
The system is designed to handle the 12 trains it currently has. In order to expand the system you would have to either demolish the monorail shop and start over or add another monorail shop

Please explain the reasoning behind this?

Rayray

cloudboy said:
Please explain the reasoning behind this?

The monorail roundhouse only holds and services 12 trains. I think that's all he is saying. IF, the monorial was expanded, then a new roundhouse unit would probably be built closer to the central of the resort.

SirGoofy

Chape19714 said:
Maybe it's time WDW actually puts the WEDWay Peoplemover Technology into effect on actual transportation.

Best idea ever. I can hear it now, "NOW APPROACHING ALL STAR MOVIES RESORT!":lol:

But seriously, expanding the monorail doesn't make sense to me. There is just too much ground to cover.

Spine_DR

Earlier I posted about the cost being to high for monorail expansion, but I was talking to my DVC guide today and he mentioned that the monorail expansion cant be counted out since its cheaper now than expansion of the bus sytem and he said fossil fuel prices make monorail expansion look good also. This is nothing official but hearing him talk made me think monorail expansion is possible.

tink81

Spine_DR said:
Earlier I posted about the cost being to high for monorail expansion, but I was talking to my DVC guide today and he mentioned that the monorail expansion cant be counted out since its cheaper now than expansion of the bus sytem and he said fossil fuel prices make monorail expansion look good also. This is nothing official but hearing him talk made me think monorail expansion is possible.

You don't think he might have shared this insight with you to keep your interest (and money) in DVC? :lol:

Woody13

Spine_DR said:
The monorail is powered by electricity. The electricity is generated from coal, natural gas and petroleum coke (fossil fuels). Florida gets only 15% of its power from nuclear fuel (and that percentage is going down every year because no new nuclear plants are coming on line).

Florida air quality is in bad shape due to electric power plants to wit:

Of the 50 States plus the District of Columbia, the electric industry in the State of Florida ranked 2nd highest in Carbon Dioxide (CO<SUB>2</SUB>) emissions in 2004. Carbon Dioxide emissions are of concern because they contribute to global warming. The State's electric industry ranks 9th highest in Sulfur Dioxide (SO<SUB>2</SUB>) emissions and 2nd highest in Nitrous Oxide (NO<SUB>x</SUB>) emissions. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom