Do you think they will ever extend the Monorail?

999Ghosts

disney is in a little trouble w/ the monorail.
the company that makes the monorail is going to
stop making monorail transportation...

i can not remember the name..
it starts w/ a "B"...

RonAnnArbor

WHY WHY WHY do people keep posting this question over and over - and why do people keep responding??? We have at least three threads on the monorail and lack of expansion already - with hundreds of posts -

THis is a tug-of-war thread - DONT PICK UP THE ROPE -- please do a search and read what has already been said. If you have something to add, add it to one of THOSE long threads, not yet another new one.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
RonAnnArbor said:
WHY WHY WHY do people keep posting this question over and over - and why do people keep responding??? We have at least three threads on the monorail and lack of expansion already - with hundreds of posts -

THis is a tug-of-war thread - DONT PICK UP THE ROPE -- please do a search and read what has already been said. If you have something to add, add it to one of THOSE long threads, not yet another new one.

Thank you Mr Moderator :rolleyes:

HandyAndy

LudwigVonDrake said:
The Monorail will probably never be extended due to money. The number that has always floated around is that it would cost a million dollars a mile. There has been discussions about a light rail system but I don't know the specifics of that.
Whats a Light Rail System?:confused:

Chape19714

Bratstarman said:
I am so humbled by the comments here, so let me offer my apologies to the real-world experts.

As for pulling numbers our of orifices, I apologize for actually doing some real homework and checking the costs of public transportation in Florida cities. The same goes for the price of busses. Silly me for violating this requirement.

And for those of you in transportation that I may have offended, I didn't realize bus drivers hung out here. Then again, I would imagine that the guy with the shovel and cart walking behind the horses would also consider himself a transportation expert. But for the record, modern monorail stations are automatic and unattended.

Finally I do recognize the contribution to theming that the noisy, fume spewing, expletive inspiring busses make - what would Fort Wilderness be without them?

Henceforth I defer to the experts.

And by the way, it's affected, not effected.
Disney is all about personal service, and for safety concerns far greater than other places, Nothing can be 100% automated. Besides, you still didn't answer the question of how 25+ stations would be worked out. And would WDW add to the system. Beams are not easily moved, in fact, when planning DCA, WDI mentioned the beams couldn't be moved.

I find your comments on who considers themselves experts completely offensive. A forum is made to voice each opinion, but you apparently don't care to take into account the other side of the story.

There are alot of people who hang out on these boards, in almost every occupation, many at WDW.

jedimaster1227

tnchefbear said:
I can remember years ago when there was a plan to connect EPCOT with DS and the Disney Marketplace by Monorail.quote]

No. :brick: There were faint plans announced a while back for the city of Orlando to create a light-rail system that would connect to the Transportation and Ticket Center on a different monorail system. The project to connect to Disney was cut off when Disney wanted the monorail to connect to the Orlando International Airport. The Orlando light-rail project continued for another year, but was cancelled. Ever since then, we will rarely hear a murmer about a revival of either parts of the project. The last time we heard on either portion of the project was about a month ago when the city of Orlando announced their project to renovate Downtown Orlando (Including knocking down the TD Waterhouse Center and build a new one).

The Disney monorail will not be extended for SOME time. There is only one thing that would change that truth... and it all starts on a certain road...:animwink:

TimeTrip

Brat.. you're missing the fact that it's almost impossible to come up with an efficient monorail layout at WDW because of how everything is laid out.

The most convincing argument I've always found against expansion is what to do at park close. It's very easier to throw more busses at the crowds... not so easy to toss more monorails at it. Just look at the MK when it closes on a busy day... the line is long and that ISN'T counting all the resort guests. How would you do it without busses?

Videoteck

Having a Monorail would be good, I have talked about this millions of times with my parents, however you do realize Disney is usually short staffed, think about them having to open up a new monorail station, that just more work and money for them.

TimeTrip

jedimaster1227 said:
The Disney monorail will not be extended for SOME time. There is only one thing that would change that truth... and it all starts on a certain road...:animwink:

Hmm i think I just connected this comment to another one you made a while ago. HMMM, time for google maps....

silverboyd

i'd have to say. I work as a structural engineer and I don't think that the monorail tracks would be as expensive as they were in the 70's...when it was built. The cost of concrete and reinforcing steel bars isn't all that expensive. I don't think they should expand it...because you'd have to elaborate the Ticket and Transportation Center as well as the Monorail station at EPCOT and the Magic Kingdom. That's just my guess. But i think they should keep it as it is.

:sohappy:

Tim G

silverboyd said:
i'd have to say. I work as a structural engineer and I don't think that the monorail tracks would be as expensive as they were in the 70's...when it was built. The cost of concrete and reinforcing steel bars isn't all that expensive. I don't think they should expand it...because you'd have to elaborate the Ticket and Transportation Center as well as the Monorail station at EPCOT and the Magic Kingdom. That's just my guess. But i think they should keep it as it is.

:sohappy:

RIGHT!

No monorail extensions... not now... and not in the future...

tnchefbear

Original Poster
RonAnnArbor said:

I am sorry to have ruffled your feathers Ron, but in all fairness, I was a cast member for awhile and the entire time I was at EPCOT, this was a talked about situation... the noise at the studios was brought up, but since they dont film there anymore that is no longer an issue... the money was brought up, but with gas reaching $4.00 a gallon in California, that seems to be less an issue... and to be honest, since model railroading is a hobby of mine, I am interested in what may happen and what other people think about it... so I would simply answer you by saying, if you dont want to discuss this, then dont post... but thats just my opinion:D

rcapolete

i have it on good authority that they are expanding the monorail. A cm topld me so itwill run to Disney's newest park MGM, of course this was back in early 90's and the BEach and Yatch still had trams that took you to and from Epcot. As you can see there have been CM's saying this forever but don't really ever see it happening IMO.

gsimpson

Longest time between monorail threads...

Sorry, I am in a cold sweat and have to pick up the rope.....

I think this is the longest time I have seen go by on WDWMagic between monorail threads.

I am in favor of expanding the Monorail but I don't buy that the theory is that the choice is everything has to be connected (i.e. the 25 stations) or it has to be left as is. There is probably a way to add just a couple/few destinations that would make some sense. This is the same type of silly game politicians like to play when they give us fallacious choices like "you either have to grant 15 million illegal aliens citizenship or round them all up and ship them out". There is almost always a common ground that is more reasonable than either extreme.

Bombadier is reconsidering their plan to pull out of monorails according to the latest news in Ottawa newspapapers since Las Vegas has now decided to expand their system quite a bit (to the airport and down the other side of the strip). Even if they did leave the market, Hitachi makes them (they created the system at Tokyo Disney Resort amongst many others) and Siemens (you know, the ones inside Space Ship Earth) also happen to be big into monorails.

In answer to the question "why does this keep coming up", perhaps it is because a substantial number of customers of WDW want it. I am sure that Disney could have put in the simple drop tower ride you see at every amusement park at Disney/MGM instead of the Tower of Terror and they would have saved a boat load of money. To many people, myself included, the monorail is an attraction just as much as Mission Space, Journey, etc. etc. It just happens to also convey me from one part of the park to another.

Onto the original poster's questions, will it be expanded. I expect that it will be in some way at some point, not to all the points on property, but to a couple more desinations. Disney gets a small premium for the monorail resorts, guests keep nagging them to expand it, the roads are getting more and more crowded (something that is not really helped by light rail that typically travels at grade). Disney keeps monorail right of ways alive in their DVC deeds and with their RCID filings, if they have abandoned monorail why would they waste the time and money? When will they do it? I have no idea but hope springs eternal.

Chape19714

TimeTrip said:
Brat.. you're missing the fact that it's almost impossible to come up with an efficient monorail layout at WDW because of how everything is laid out.

The most convincing argument I've always found against expansion is what to do at park close. It's very easier to throw more busses at the crowds... not so easy to toss more monorails at it. Just look at the MK when it closes on a busy day... the line is long and that ISN'T counting all the resort guests. How would you do it without busses?
Exactly

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I used to like the idea of expanding the monorail, but I've moved on.

I hope if they do anything it's cutting edge and represents the future of transportation.

There's nothing modern about the monorail anymore. It's based on 50 year old technology.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom