Do you think they will ever extend the Monorail?

PaisleyMF

And i was waiting for this one. One "small" expation to the monorail line is between Swan and Dolphin and MGM. is kinda near the Epcot line why not add more in some places, is only 2 more stops.

I know but technology has change the way people can do so, i invite everybody to see how the Train system in Puerto Rico was made, all the system that holds the tracks was premade outside and moved in position. It was simply awesome.

And everybody can dream...

So lets not fight and just dream how would you do it, even if if is imposible, anyway is a dream is free...

bhg469

tnchefbear said:
I am sorry to have ruffled your feathers Ron, but in all fairness, I was a cast member for awhile and the entire time I was at EPCOT, this was a talked about situation... the noise at the studios was brought up, but since they dont film there anymore that is no longer an issue... the money was brought up, but with gas reaching $4.00 a gallon in California, that seems to be less an issue... and to be honest, since model railroading is a hobby of mine, I am interested in what may happen and what other people think about it... so I would simply answer you by saying, if you dont want to discuss this, then dont post... but thats just my opinion:D

RIGHT ON!!! I just saw thi thread and knew it would be full of negative attitudes like it usually is. Im glad you stuck up for yourself, rudeness seems to be something that has gotten out of control on this forum. I for one would like a monorail expansion, it isn't the greatest form of transportation but it sure is the most fun. It won't happen anytime soon tough.

gemini

EpcoTim said:
Money. Nothing happened other than money. It's a greedy world, and unfortunately Disney is owned by it.

What's greed have to do with anything? Disney is a business, not a non-profit resort. If it's not a sound business decision, why do it?

Used2BePluto

"Who knew it was so expensive for those reinforced concrete rails."

You can thank your friendly union worker/drone for the high costs of this. I was born and raised here in Central Florida. Years ago (maybe a decade or more now) union workers decided to strike the contractor that was paying them to do construction work at Orlando International Airport. The strike lasted months, mostly because the contractor pretty much did what he was allowed to do and hired new empoloyess and told the union to shove it. The union told the media how shabby of a job the "scabs" weredoing and that though they were using the airport that day of taping that they prefer to drive to Tampa or Daytona to catch a plane because they trusted those buildings. Well guess what union loving people, a few years ago it was decided that the airport needed a rehab due to terrible construction. Guess which areas were the worst, not the happy to be working non-union constructed areas. In case you can not tell, it was almost always the union construction that needed to be replaced and done correctly. Thankfully non union people did the work.

For those of us who understand what the 4th of July is all about, have a great day celebrating individuality and remembering that the size of the flag in the truck bed (you know the types, big flag, usually tattered in some oversized Tonka type pickup which most likely has never seen a speck of dirt or mud) does not equate to the redneck's pride in America. (Can be said also about the newest "Baby on Board" fad magnets, those ribbons ordering us to support/pray/think/hero worship, etc our troops turned to the side so it looks like a fish. BTW, I am for the troops doing their job, and pray for the troops I know personally each and every night, and my stomach turns each time I hear through the channels prior to the news networks splashing the breaking news of soldiers being killed in either Iraq or one of the several "stans" Oh yeah, did I mention, "Have a bleesed day", which seems to be spreading across America faster then Rush cracking another joke about why he had the blue pill.

Have a magical night tonight, watched the fireworks from my backyard tonight, ah living in the shadows of WDW is so cool, only thing I don't like is when I am trying to sleep prior to the first shell going off, our dogs hear it about 5 seconds prior to our feeling the concusion (sp?)

Used2BePluto

jedimaster1227

TimeTrip said:
Hmm i think I just connected this comment to another one you made a while ago. HMMM, time for google maps....

Good to hear that someone has pieced together some of the things I have said in the past- but don't trust Google Maps because they don't update often. Use Windows Live Local for a more updated layout.

If you understand what I am referring to then you know where I am going with this. If certain *Items* are built in a certain *Area* then we will see a new monorail expansion but until then, the monorail project is dead. The only change to the monorail that we will see in the near future is an upgrade to the monorail cars (in generation).

Woody13

garyhoov said:
I used to like the idea of expanding the monorail, but I've moved on.

I hope if they do anything it's cutting edge and represents the future of transportation.

There's nothing modern about the monorail anymore. It's based on 50 year old technology.
Excellent point Gary! The monorail is not now, not has it ever been, a viable transportation system. It's a ride. It's an attraction. It's something unique. However, it is not a good way to move lots of people from one location to another. It's an amusement. The transportation aspect is secondary to the attraction aspect.

I have visited WDW for many years. Our family only goes on the monorail for fun. We can get to any park faster by using other transportation. The monorail is just like the WDW train. Who takes the WDW train to get anywhere? Heck, I can walk to any point in the park faster than the train can travel there.

However, I do ride the WDW train, but not for the transportation. I ride it for the fun and the theme. Same thing is true for the monorail. They have no reason to extend the monorail. Heck, they will most likely tear it down in the not too distant future. They will never expand the monorail. It's just a ride! :wave:

TimeTrip

jedimaster1227 said:
Good to hear that someone has pieced together some of the things I have said in the past- but don't trust Google Maps because they don't update often. Use Windows Live Local for a more updated layout.

If you understand what I am referring to then you know where I am going with this. If certain *Items* are built in a certain *Area* then we will see a new monorail expansion but until then, the monorail project is dead. The only change to the monorail that we will see in the near future is an upgrade to the monorail cars (in generation).

Yeah.. i also prefer live local (especially for the mouse wheel action) but more people know google maps ;)

Anyway.. this is interesting..... Seems like an odd spot.

Woody13

Bratstarman said:
About 150,000 riders a day - quite a few for a non-viable transport system.

I'm curious why you feel it's not viable. And airplanes have been around 100 years, so I imagine it's also time to stop flying too.
You are a victim of Google search! :D

Tigerdaly

A number of you have started to spout large numbers (without substance) and have already decided whether Disney can afford it.
Has anyone yet looked at the enviromental impacts.
I am from Europe and from a country who is taking the needs of the enviroment very seriously. Our planet is dying.........................
Running hundreds of buses around belching fumes (and some are quite spectacular at it) is not good for the planet.
You never know Monorails with there increased capacity over a bus might just help us all in the long-run.
The monorail along with Epcot were supposed to show how advanced in thinking the Disney empire really is. It would be a shame not exploit this wonder of design and show the world that cloud belching antiquated inefficient buses are out and perhaps self generated electric monorails are the way to go.
Also remember large business's run each project on a "Return on assets" basis, which doesnt mean how much an item costs, that is irrelevant. It means how quickly will it pay for its self. Unfortunatly the monorail is free to guests so return is limited to perhaps advertising. The first sections that were installed were purely innovative, from now on it need to be profitable to cover costs.
But hey, how much does it cost to help save a dying planet..............:wave:

frankd1962

I hate to bash my society but you're talking about a country that now has electronics stuff that is way under $100 on somethings and the cost to have them just looked at to see it they're worth fixing is more than the cost for a new item. America has become a throw away society on many things. I work elelctronics and it always amazes me on how much we just "if it breaks I'll toss it and get a new one" when we offer replacement or service plans on some of the stuff.

jedimaster1227

Tigerdaly said:
A number of you have started to spout large numbers (without substance) and have already decided whether Disney can afford it.
Has anyone yet looked at the enviromental impacts.
I am from Europe and from a country who is taking the needs of the enviroment very seriously. Our planet is dying.........................
Running hundreds of buses around belching fumes (and some are quite spectacular at it) is not good for the planet.
You never know Monorails with there increased capacity over a bus might just help us all in the long-run.
The monorail along with Epcot were supposed to show how advanced in thinking the Disney empire really is. It would be a shame not exploit this wonder of design and show the world that cloud belching antiquated inefficient buses are out and perhaps self generated electric monorails are the way to go.
Also remember large business's run each project on a "Return on assets" basis, which doesnt mean how much an item costs, that is irrelevant. It means how quickly will it pay for its self. Unfortunatly the monorail is free to guests so return is limited to perhaps advertising. The first sections that were installed were purely innovative, from now on it need to be profitable to cover costs.
But hey, how much does it cost to help save a dying planet..............:wave:

Everyone! Please welcome a special guest to the forums! Al Gore is in the building! :lol: Everyone, lets give this man a round of applause! :sohappy: :sohappy:

You are a victim of Google search! :D

Google isn't the enemy...Google is our friend...Just like the servers! :lol:

tink81

unkadug said:
Why has Bratstarman gone and deleted his posts?

Do they only have a shelf life of 6 hours? :lol:

I was wondering the same thing! I guess he has left us and took his posts with him.:rolleyes:

ToTBellHop

Woody13 said:
Excellent point Gary! The monorail is not now, not has it ever been, a viable transportation system. It's a ride. It's an attraction. It's something unique. However, it is not a good way to move lots of people from one location to another. It's an amusement. The transportation aspect is secondary to the attraction aspect.

I have visited WDW for many years. Our family only goes on the monorail for fun. We can get to any park faster by using other transportation. The monorail is just like the WDW train. Who takes the WDW train to get anywhere? Heck, I can walk to any point in the park faster than the train can travel there.

However, I do ride the WDW train, but not for the transportation. I ride it for the fun and the theme. Same thing is true for the monorail. They have no reason to extend the monorail. Heck, they will most likely tear it down in the not too distant future. They will never expand the monorail. It's just a ride! :wave:
I think you are overgeneralizing. The monorail, as it is now, isn't efficient enought to become a property-wide transportation system, but several cities now use monorail systems that work incredibly efficiently--I was very impressed with the Las Vegas Monorail. To say Disney is never going to expand the monorail is too short-sighted. If the world remained as it is today, they would never expand the monorail, but the world won't. We may very well have flying cars in 100 years, which would change things completely. If you consider the state of transportation a 100 years ago, I'm not sure how anyone can make any statement of how we will travel in a few decades.

freediverdude

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I think the monorail should be expanded only to run between the 4 major parks (and possibly Downtown Disney), with each park being a "hub" for the resorts around it. To get back to your resort, you would take the monorail to the park nearest your resort, and then take a short bus ride or light rail or omnimover type thing, whatever they decide is the most efficient, the last half mile or something to your resort. Now I realize they will have huge crowds going to the monorails at park close......and my solution to this would be to have double track (or even triple track) going between the parks, and also make sure to have 2-3 trains moving on each track simultaneously during this time, whatever is allowable. They would not need to use all 2 or 3 tracks all the time, only during peak periods. But with, say, 3 tracks active, say 2 trains on each track, with 300 people in each train- every five minutes or less the monorails could evacuate 1800 people from each park, or more than 20,000 per hour. That does seem like it's approaching the capacity needed. The offsite people would not be getting on the monorail at park close, except the ones going to the parking lot at MK. (Could have an extra one here, and also the ferryboat is used.) Have the parks pay for part of the expense, and the resorts pay for part, and have it built into the cost of the resort rooms and tickets. Heck, they can pretty much charge whatever they want to for the rooms as it is. But this is what the premier vacation destination in the world should have, is a state of the art transport system that uses monorails and another advanced system for the hub-to-resort legs. They could even have advertising for your particular resort's services on the hub-to-resort transport, to sell more services such as boat rentals and spa services at the resorts, as another "return on assets" type of program. Yes, it would cost millions, and probably even hundreds of millions or a billion or two, but it would be built over a series of years, probably at least a decade, and plans for it to pay for itself out of hotel rooms and tickets over those years could be made. Just my 2 cents.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Woody13 said:

That's exactly the way we are. I remember a few trips when I actually made a point of trying to get somewhere on the monorail: "Okay, we'll take the monorail from the Magic Kingdom to the ticket and transportation center. Then we'll get on the other line and go from there to EPCOT." Of course for that to work, you either have to want to go from one to the other . . . or you can catch a bus to or from the TTC . . . of course in all cases you'll have to transfer . . .

Now we just get on at either MK or EPCOT and make a loop. We don't even pretend it's transportation anymore.

Of course the fact that it's an attraction and not tansportation can help to justify spending more money than might seem practical on a new or modified system. If it actually brings people to Disney World, it may be worth spending more than the cost of 100 new busses.

Will an expanded monorail system bring more people to Disney world? Probably not. They can already ride the monorail. Being able to ride it 10 more miles won't be a dramatic change.

At this point, a PRT system or some cutting edge fuel cell busses will likely get more attention than an expanded monorail and be more efficient at getting people in and out of the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom