Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

DisneyCane

Did you ever get recess taken away because a select few in class couldn't follow the rules? Not saying it's fair but... same deal.
That's to put peer pressure on the misbehaving classmates to behave. Hurting a business that is following the rules is not the same and isn't fair to hardworking people.

electric

not true. I would love for Disney to stay closed until we have a better handle on a global pandemic that has killed hundreds of thousands of people. Once we have control and therapeutics/vaccines, we can all enjoy the place we love so much.
And that could be years or never. How would you like it if the source of income for you and your entire city was closed indefinitely?

mgf

The previews start tomorrow and the general public opening on Saturday. It’s going to be hard to delay now. I think it’s fingers crossed and hope for the best time.

They can easily pull up (not without pain) during the AP previews to save face. "Test runs reveal that we have some additional work to do in light of the increase in cases in the state..."

If they were 100% sure they were going to open and/or that they would stay open then AP refunds would have already been pushed out.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They can easily pull up (not without pain) during the AP previews to save face. "Test runs reveal that we have some additional work to do in light of the increase in cases in the state..."

If they were 100% sure they were going to open and/or that they would stay open then AP refunds would have already been pushed out.
If they back out now think of all the food and other items going to waste. Think of all the CMs left in limbo again. Do they pay them for a few weeks, a month or just right back to furlough? Outside of an action by the local government I don’t see it happening. If they were going to delay it would have happened by now.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
If they back out now think of all the food and other items going to waste. Think of all the CMs left in limbo again. Do they pay them for a few weeks, a month or just right back to furlough? Outside of an action by the local government I don’t see it happening. If they were going to delay it would have happened by now.
This.

I feel we are past the point of pushing back. Way too many things in motion right now.

TeriofTerror

Desantis is having a press conference right now. There’s no indication there will be closures outside Miami-Dade. Most of the cases are concentrated in that area.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200706-134200_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20200706-134200_Twitter.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 86

oceanbreeze77

This.

I feel we are past the point of pushing back. Way too many things in motion right now.
I think there is risk on both sides. This is all true, but what happens if there's a media storm around an outbreak from Disney? what economic harm does that cause? What happens when cast members get sick? What happens IF a cast member dies? And this is during the middle of one of the largest peaks.

Disney has a lot to think about, its definitely not an easy decision.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I think there is risk on both sides. This is all true, but what happens if there's a media storm around an outbreak from Disney? what economic harm does that cause? What happens when cast members get sick? What happens IF a cast member dies?

I totally get it from that side too. I think Disney is willing to take the risk at this point however. There will be a firestorm regardless in my mind. If they push back, CM's jobs are again at risk, you throw a ton of money away (revenue from guests, food/beverage inventory waste, suppliers downstream, etc.).

Odds are there will be cases that are contracted on property but I suppose they feel its worth the risk.

Ojo4

Disney's decision has been to not make a decision, they are deferring everything to state/city officials and will do everything they can to keep the parks open until the government tells them to close.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has no concerns about theme parks reopening

I think this pretty much seals it, barring a late change from Orange County or Disney itself - which from what I understand is not being considered by Disney.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think there is risk on both sides. This is all true, but what happens if there's a media storm around an outbreak from Disney? what economic harm does that cause? What happens when cast members get sick? What happens IF a cast member dies? And this is during the middle of one of the largest peaks.

That ship has sailed. None of those factors was different last week or the week before. The situation on the ground today is no different than it was last week or the week before. If there was enough concern to delay they would have pulled the trigger already.

I don‘t disagree that there is a pretty big PR risk with opening during a spike in cases but it seems they made their peace with it and are willing to accept the risk. I’m sure it wasn’t an easy decision and especially since to BoD skews heavily west coast and some in the tech space where companies are not rushing to go back to face to face contact.

oceanbreeze77

Disney's decision has been to not make a decision, they are deferring everything to state/city officials and will do everything they can to keep the parks open until the government tells them to close.
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has no concerns about theme parks reopening

I think this pretty much seals it, barring a late change from Orange County or Disney itself - which from what I understand is not being considered by Disney.
But at some point, businesses and local government need to take matters into their own hands when the big guys won't do anything. Thats what we are seeing in Miami.

Casper Gutman

But at some point, businesses and local government need to take matters into their own hands when the big guys won't do anything. Thats what we are seeing in Miami.
This is a really key point. Who is a more powerful force in Florida - the governor or Disney? I’d say it’s pretty close. And that carries a lot more responsibility then either SeaWorld or even Universal have (they should not be open either).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom