Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

Miss Bella

At this point I would assume a bunch of CMs already tested positive. A large number of CMs are in the age demographic that is seeing the large spike in cases and they aren’t excused from infection. Anyone who thinks they are going to go to WDW and there won’t be sick CMs working at the parks or resorts while they are there are kidding themselves. They aren’t doing daily testing of CMs and from some reports I’ve heard the temp checks aren’t even always happening for all CMs.
We’ll all be wearing masks .

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We’ll all be wearing masks .
Its a big positive for sure. CMs wearing masks will help keep guests safe and their co-workers too. Of course the anti-mask crowd who aren’t afraid of a virus and plan to ignore the mask rules won’t be wearing them once they get through security.

WDW Monorail

Reopening of all industries including entertainment industries such as the theme parks is imperative and will continue unimpeded. The same should be happening all over the country.

I’m very greatful to the owners of my large engineering firm for basically prohibiting employees from working from home on a regular basis as of 7/6. There were some serious productivity issues developing amongst some employees and it was imperative to get them all back in the office.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Its a big positive for sure. CMs wearing masks will help keep guests safe and their co-workers too. Of course the anti-mask crowd who aren’t afraid of a virus and plan to ignore the mask rules won’t be wearing them once they get through security.
It’s likely there will be far stricter mask enforcement inside the parks than we’ve seen for anything before.

Casper Gutman

It’s likely there will be far stricter mask enforcement inside the parks than we’ve seen for anything before.
One hopes so. But will WDW really be willing to kick people out, which is the only way the policy will have teeth? They’ll likely have to kick out more then a few to really make clear they are serious - are they eager for the news coverage that that will bring and the way some corners of the country will react? How will they track repeat offenders? To what extent will front-line staff be on their own trying to enforce an often unpopular policy?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
One hopes so. But will WDW really be willing to kick people out, which is the only way the policy will have teeth? They’ll likely have to kick out more then a few to really make clear they are serious - are they eager for the news coverage that that will bring and the way some corners of the country will react? How will they track repeat offenders? To what extent will front-line staff be on their own trying to enforce an often unpopular policy?
The news coverage from the corners of the country that matter the most for the demographic Disney needs to continue to attract long term will be far worse if they don’t enforce the rules. There are people just waiting to post videos and stories of people not wearing masks or large crowds massing together. With cases spiking right before the opening Disney will want to be extra certain that they appear very serious about the safety measures. I’m not so sure how unpopular the mask policy is anyway. I’ve seen reported several places where the majority of Americans support the policies. In the poll from the article below 69% favor masks for shopping and in public places. Only 13% believe the masks have no benefit. It’s a vocal minority who oppose it and they can/should be removed if they won‘t follow Disney’s rules.

sndral

I wonder how that is to be accomplished?
I’m not optimistic that there’ll be successful enforcement of masks/social distancing based on CM‘s historic failure at actually enforcing simple rules prepandemic. IME it seems there’s almost a culture at WDW of placating the small percentage of entitled, selfish, guests. Will there be new protocols in place to provide back up to front line CMs for removal of problematic visitors? Will CMs be trained in how to deal w/ these situations? Or will it be the same old/same old, don’t do that again and here’s a couple of fast passes to reward your bad behavior because I upset you when I told you that you had to follow the rules.

Casper Gutman

The news coverage from the corners of the country that matter the most for the demographic Disney needs to continue to attract long term will be far worse if they don’t enforce the rules. There are people just waiting to post videos and stories of people not wearing masks or large crowds massing together. With cases spiking right before the opening Disney will want to be extra certain that they appear very serious about the safety measures. I’m not so sure how unpopular the mask policy is anyway. I’ve seen reported several places where the majority of Americans support the policies. In the poll from the article below 69% favor masks for shopping and in public places. Only 13% believe the masks have no benefit. It’s a vocal minority who oppose it and they can/should be removed if they won‘t follow Disney’s rules.

Oh, I have no doubt most folks want everyone to wear masks. But 31% of the population is still a very, very large group. And they aren’t all quiet.

Here is a very likely scenario: WDW kicks someone out for refusing to wear a mask (I hope they are really willing to do this). The encounter goes viral. It gets national news coverage. A lot of folks make fun of the people getting throne out. But a lot of posts on the internet attack WDW. Boycotts are threatened - not very realistically, but they are threatened. It gets real loud.

How well will WDW stand up to an Internet PR firestorm? How quickly will execs panic? Will they even be willing to put themselves in this scenario?

DVCakaCarlF

“Front line” cast (greeter, grouper, custodial etc) won’t be the only ones enforcing. They’re serious about this. How it works in practice remains to be seen obviously.
From my experience the past few days, every layer of staff is enforcing the mask guidelines.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Oh, I have no doubt most folks want everyone to wear masks. But 31% of the population is still a very, very large group. And they aren’t all quiet.

Here is a very likely scenario: WDW kicks someone out for refusing to wear a mask (I hope they are really willing to do this). The encounter goes viral. It gets national news coverage. A lot of folks make fun of the people getting throne out. But a lot of posts on the internet attack WDW. Boycotts are threatened - not very realistically, but they are threatened. It gets real loud.

How well will WDW stand up to an Internet PR firestorm? How quickly will execs panic? Will they even be willing to put themselves in this scenario?
If they believe they’re doing the right thing it won’t matter.

They also know they’ll be another guest to take the place of those who may or may not decide to “boycott”.

DisneyCane

Two counties in Texas issued a shelter in place advisory due to hospitals reaching capacity. I really don’t understand why people would want to play with fire like this. My sister is due to give birth within the next week or two, and our local hospitals are starting to feel the pinch as well. I’m quite worried about how things will go for her due to the large amount of selfish people running around saying it’s nothing to worry about or not wearing a mask. The current U.S. death rate is at 4.6%, and if that seemingly small number remains steady and infections continue to increase exponentially, say to 100,000,000 total, at that death rate there would be close to 5 million people dead.
That's the death rate of documented cases. Based on all studies and estimates it is really a lot lower because there are really a lot more infections. With the recent trend of a higher percentage of cases being in the young, healthy demographic, the "known case" fatality rate will continue to drop as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom