Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Oh, I have no doubt most folks want everyone to wear masks. But 31% of the population is still a very, very large group. And they aren’t all quiet.

Here is a very likely scenario: WDW kicks someone out for refusing to wear a mask (I hope they are really willing to do this). The encounter goes viral. It gets national news coverage. A lot of folks make fun of the people getting throne out. But a lot of posts on the internet attack WDW. Boycotts are threatened - not very realistically, but they are threatened. It gets real loud.

How well will WDW stand up to an Internet PR firestorm? How quickly will execs panic? Will they even be willing to put themselves in this scenario?
Of the 31% that don’t support a mask policy how many will try to openly defy it? Definitely not everyone. Only 13% feel the masks are actually ineffective. There are many people posting here who are opposed to mask requirements but said they would still comply when they are at WDW.

Disney has 2 options, open with a mask policy and enforce it or don’t open. There’s no option to open without the policy or without enforcing it for fear of a boycott. Again, the PR would be much worse if they didn’t enforce the policy and viral videos emerged of peoole walking around without masks while cases surge.

Miss Bella

Oh, I have no doubt most folks want everyone to wear masks. But 31% of the population is still a very, very large group. And they aren’t all quiet.

Here is a very likely scenario: WDW kicks someone out for refusing to wear a mask (I hope they are really willing to do this). The encounter goes viral. It gets national news coverage. A lot of folks make fun of the people getting throne out. But a lot of posts on the internet attack WDW. Boycotts are threatened - not very realistically, but they are threatened. It gets real loud.

How well will WDW stand up to an Internet PR firestorm? How quickly will execs panic? Will they even be willing to put themselves in this scenario?
Has any of this happened at Universal or SeaWorld? Would it be on twiitter also.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don’t know the answer to these questions - Has Uni kicked anyone out for non-compliance? Have there been any outbreaks among Uni employees?
There have been videos posted online of people being turned away at both Uni and DS for not having masks. People with those fake cards you can buy online that says you have a medical condition. Stuff like that. I haven’t seen any reference to anyone being tossed from the park for non-compliance after they entered.

There were some social media rumblings about Uni employees testing positive. It was posted here a while back, I think one of the Potter rides. It would be pretty naive to think that some workers have not tested positive. I don’t know if they would even bother to try to contact trace the Universal parks or Disney parks when they open. If someone tests positive and says they were at Universal it’s impossible to contact everyone else who was there that day so I assume they don’t even try. Same as a beach or public park. Not sure if they would make workers get tested if they worked directly with someone who tested positive. They probably should, but will do their best to keep it quiet. In other words it may not be that we hear publicly about outbreaks of positive cases at theme parks. It’s more likely to happen through social media where someone tests positive and posts they work at or visited Uni on a given day and others comment that they were too. Similar to that bar in Jacksonville.

Touchdown

The key line in that tweet is the last one, the increase today is only based on increased number in testing, at least he tried to include it, 15.5% is in the same range it has been for a while though. He should post the number of negatives too.

How many times does it need to be stated that a positive rate of >10% means you are not capturing enough of the population to diagnose most of the Covid cases in the community, and you should be trying for >5%.

Miss Bella

There have been videos posted online of people being turned away at both Uni and DS for not having masks. People with those fake cards you can buy online that says you have a medical condition. Stuff like that. I haven’t seen any reference to anyone being tossed from the park for non-compliance after they entered.

There were some social media rumblings about Uni employees testing positive. It was posted here a while back, I think one of the Potter rides. It would be pretty naive to think that some workers have not tested positive. I don’t know if they would even bother to try to contact trace the Universal parks or Disney parks when they open. If someone tests positive and says they were at Universal it’s impossible to contact everyone else who was there that day so I assume they don’t even try. Same as a beach or public park. Not sure if they would make workers get tested if they worked directly with someone who tested positive. They probably should, but will do their best to keep it quiet. In other words it may not be that we hear publicly about outbreaks of positive cases at theme parks. It’s more likely to happen through social media where someone tests positive and posts they work at or visited Uni on a given day and others comment that they were too. Similar to that bar in Jacksonville.
There’s still no way to prove you got it at a theme park. It wouldn't matter anyway they are not liable.

Casper Gutman

Of the 31% that don’t support a mask policy how many will try to openly defy it? Definitely not everyone. Only 13% feel the masks are actually ineffective. There are many people posting here who are opposed to mask requirements but said they would still comply when they are at WDW.

Disney has 2 options, open with a mask policy and enforce it or don’t open. There’s no option to open without the policy or without enforcing it for fear of a boycott. Again, the PR would be much worse if they didn’t enforce the policy and viral videos emerged of peoole walking around without masks while cases surge.
Oh, I fully support a VERY vigorous mask enforcement policy (if they have to open at all). But I don’t think that videos of people without masks will get wider circulation then those showing guest/ CM confrontations over the policy. And some very loud people will pipe up - look at what public health officials are enduring. I just don’t know how Disney will react to that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The key line in that tweet is the last one, the increase today is only based on increased number in testing, at least he tried to include it, 15.5% is in the same range it has been for a while though. He should post the number of negatives too.
If testing is way up and percent positive is still 15.5% that means you are probably not capturing enough of the infected people yet. The situation is actually worse than reported numbers.

DisneyCane

I know that Disney doesn't like to create "scenes" in general but, in this case it should be enforced and there shouldn't be any "backlash." People who enter the parks are doing so voluntarily and for a non-essential purpose. If you don't want to wear a mask in the parks then don't go to the parks. There should be an option for people who purchased tickets or passes before the requirement to get a pro-rated refund if they don't want to wear a mask in order to go.

Personally, I can't stand wearing a mask. I especially can't stand it when it is 95 degrees with 150% humidity. I do wear it when required to enter a business. I rip it off as soon as I'm outside and at least 6 feet away from other people. I miss going to WDW and I plan to go in late July. Therefore, even though I can't stand wearing a mask, I will wear one. To me, the enjoyment of getting to spend a few hours at a park (this time of year I can't do a whole day without a mask) outweighs the discomfort of the mask.

disneygeek90

I don’t know the answer to these questions - Has Uni kicked anyone out for non-compliance? Have there been any outbreaks among Uni employees?
I’ve been 7 days since the reopen and on my way today. I haven’t personally seen anyone being kicked out but team members are constantly calling people out if they see them. Everyone just complies and pulls their mask back up, they know it’s the rule.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There’s still no way to prove you got it at a theme park. It wouldn't matter anyway they are not liable.
Legal liability is irrelevant. Bad PR doesn’t have the burden of proof required in a court of law. The bar in Jacksonville that was shut down after their outbreak went viral isn’t legally liable for anything. They did get bad press for the outbreak. A bar may not really care because they are appealing to a different demographic. Disney would care.

DisneyCane

If testing is way up and percent positive is still 15.5% that means you are probably not capturing enough of the infected people yet. The situation is actually worse than reported numbers.

I'd like to know (and I don't think they know) the data of the percentage of the tests being administered to asymptomatic people. If it is a very high percentage then the testing could be close to a random sample of the population. If X% of the population is infected and asymptomatic, no matter how many asymptomatic people are randomly tested you'll never test enough to find them all unless you tested the entire population in a single day.

Miss Bella

Legal liability is irrelevant. Bad PR doesn’t have the burden of proof required in a court of law. The bar in Jacksonville that was shut down after their outbreak went viral isn’t legally liable for anything. They did get bad press for the outbreak. A bar may not really care because they are appealing to a different demographic. Disney would care.
Disney seems pretty good at avoiding bad PR. I haven’t heard anything negative regarding theme parks. Granted I haven’t spent my time looking.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Oh, I fully support a VERY vigorous mask enforcement policy (if they have to open at all). But I don’t think that videos of people without masks will get wider circulation then those showing guest/ CM confrontations over the policy. And some very loud people will pipe up - look at what public health officials are enduring. I just don’t know how Disney will react to that.
For the most part what I’ve seen is overwhelming support for businesses kicking people out for not wearing masks. Viral videos of the “Karens“ having tantrums and a store employee not backing down get majority positive feedback. I think Disney knows they have the public with them on this.

disneygeek90

Also of note: they’ve changed audio while in most queues. What was typically talking about ride restrictions/people that should avoid etc. it now talks quite a bit about masks. That they should be worn for the entirety of the line and on attraction, and failure to do so would result in being removed from attraction.

I’m not sure if they’ve ever had to do that but just having that extra enforcement/threat in the back of people’s heads I think helps.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom