Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

carolina_yankee

You obviously didn't read the article and honestly this has been really big news today and talked about on most news stations many times today whether you want to believe it or not.

I did read. I read very well. I read in the link you provided that the results are disputed and that there may be other reasons why the outcomes were better.

Thus, the scientific community is not of one mind and there is no defintively recognized study that settles the question. There is evidence for further study and research, which is how science works. Instead, lay people are citing articles and claiming the issue resolved, and then insisting that those who see otherwise are politically biased.

And then all but accusing others of murder for making certain deciisions.

That’s just not how science works. If everybody put as much energy into actually figuring out how to implement CDC guidelines instead for safe, date-based opening backed by readily available testing and tracing instead of looking for reasons to assume that everything is just hunk-dory as it because everybody we disagree with is a political hack, we wouldn’t be in the Corona-mess right now.

lilypgirl

In one study. In MANY others it has shown ZERO effect and in many cases had a deleterious effect. The FDA pulled the emergency use authorization it was so ineffective.
“The findings have been highly analyzed and peer-reviewed,” said Dr. Marcus Zervos, division head of Infectious Disease for Henry Ford Health System, who co-authored the study with Henry Ford epidemiologist Dr. Samia Arshad. “We attribute our findings that differ from other studies to early treatment, and part of a combination of interventions that were done in supportive care of patients, including careful cardiac monitoring. Our dosing also differed from other studies not showing a benefit of the drug. And other studies are either not peer reviewed, have limited numbers of patients, different patient populations or other differences from our patients.”

That right there is why there is so much buzz around this story day and in a positive way. Had you bothered to read the article you could have saved us both sometime with your dismissive response.

Heppenheimer

Hydroxychloroquine got politicized because one particularly noxious and not particularly smart human being started to promote it based on hype and very poor evidence from a very limited study.

It failed the clinical outcomes is was evaluated for in larger, better controlled studies. That why it was removed from emergency authorization, not to make a certain individual look bad (as if he needed any help on that matter).

They are looking at it again for certain narrowly defined clinical scenarios, but the consensus isn't there yet.

lilypgirl

I did read. I read very well. I read in the link you provided that the results are disputed and that there may be other reasons why the outcomes were better.

Thus, the scientific community is not of one mind and there is no defintively recognized study that settles the question. There is evidence for further study and research, which is how science works. Instead, lay people are citing articles and claiming the issue resolved, and then insisting that those who see otherwise are politically biased.

And then all but accusing others of murder for making certain deciisions.

That’s just not how science works. If everybody put as much energy into actually figuring out how to implement CDC guidelines instead for safe, date-based opening backed by readily available testing and tracing instead of looking for reasons to assume that everything is just hunk-dory as it because everybody we disagree with is a political hack, we wouldn’t be in the Corona-mess right now.
Who did that?

lilypgirl

Hydroxychloroquine got politicized because one particularly noxious and not particularly smart human being started to promote it based on hype and very poor evidence from a very limited study.

It failed the clinical outcomes is was evaluated for in larger, better controlled studies. That why it was removed from emergency authorization, not to make a certain individual look bad (as if he needed any help on that matter).

They are looking at it again for certain narrowly defined clinical scenarios, but the consensus isn't there yet.
Looks like that has been done and results look promising but hey you are the one calling someone not so smart.

WDW Pro

What does your gut tell you on this?

I still think they're opening. I've said before and people have poo pooed it, but Disney can't afford for WDW to stay closed for long periods of time. They could have made it to September, but they've spent a lot to reopen now, and I don't see them losing that investment to another postponement unless they're absolutely forced.

TrojanUSC

This is what terrifies me. Hive mind think that doesn't change when objective facts challenge it. Orange man bad. Anti American propaganda studies spiked a real medicine that really heals patients with a deadly disease, some governors outlawed it, thousands in those areas died, people of certain persuasions are now actively rooting against the medicine while simultaneously hoping new areas of the country will suffer from the disease.

I'm becoming more convinced that there's a new non theistic religion, and it demands you follow its teachings, facts be damned. First time in my life I've seen something this scary. Militant fundamentalist Islam was nothing compared to this new threat.

One study is not scientific consensus. If 10+ studies show one thing but one shows the other, it's not an final conclusion.

Heppenheimer

This is what terrifies me. Hive mind think that doesn't change when objective facts challenge it. Orange man bad. Anti American propaganda studies spiked a real medicine that really heals patients with a deadly disease, some governors outlawed it, thousands in those areas died, people of certain persuasions are now actively rooting against the medicine while simultaneously hoping new areas of the country will suffer from the disease.

I'm becoming more convinced that there's a new non theistic religion, and it demands you follow its teachings, facts be damned. First time in my life I've seen something this scary. Militant fundamentalist Islam was nothing compared to this new threat.
I would love it if hydroxychloroquine was the "game-changer" someone claimed it was. But so far, it isn't.

electric

I still think they're opening. I've said before and people have poo pooed it, but Disney can't afford for WDW to stay closed for long periods of time. They could have made it to September, but they've spent a lot to reopen now, and I don't see them losing that investment to another postponement unless they're absolutely forced.
I hope youre right

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Florida had every reason to be the epicenter (older population, cruise ship destination, mild spring, etc). It didn't happen. New York didn't get the virus any earlier than California, Florida, or Texas. New York just decided to not use hospital ships sent to them, and instead forced nursing homes to take COVID patients while simultaneously not cleaning subways for two months into the pandemic. It was raw incompetence with real consequences. And don't get me started on how many have needlessly died now that we know definitively hydroxichloriquine substantially lowers death rates in early to mid disease symptoms... and some states literally OUTLAWED A SUCCESSFUL DRUG.
Where in the hell did you get that nonsense?

New York is a center of international business and had millions flying in and out to Europe when they really didn’t have a clue...
And a huge, densely populated area around it.

Have you ever been to New York?

So you like hoax theory, eh?
Do you get your prescriptions from your landlord or your blackjack dealer?

Florida got LUCKY and then parlayed that (predictably) into stupidity. Punch the right chad.

Might want to stay in your lane on this one. Back to imagineeeing rumors.

Last edited:

WDW Pro

Where in the hell did you get that nonsense?

New York is a center of international business and millions flying in and out to Europe when they really did have a clue...
And a huge, densely populated area around it.

Have you ever been to New York?

Might want to stay in your lane on this one. Back to imagineeeing rumors.

They didn't clean the subways for two months. If you can know that and still not go "are you freaking kidding me" then there's nothing I can say.

Touchdown

If it's not being used to treat patients, how are they doing research findings on those being treated with it? It cut the freaking death rate in half. This is a non partisan study, unlike the ones we've seen out of China and the WHO.

You can tell who are politically motivated to a dangerous degree. Anyone who hopes a medicine doesn't work or denies a rigorous study... the FIRST study on patients taking it early on... needs to reevaluate their stance. People who say this drug is dangerous are crazy; we've been using this drug safely for 50 years and know the proper dosage.

I had COVID in April. Just confirmed via antigen test. My doctor prescribed hydroxichloriquine and a z pack. I was better in about 6 days. It didn't hurt that I was already taking zinc and vitamin d prior to the situation.

As someone currently treating people in the hospital I think I may know more then you. I didn’t hope it failed, and for a few months we were using it. We aren’t anymore, in fact to do so outside of a research study is currently unethical and illegal; because multiple studies have suggested a harm to patients, this is one study, it will probably spurn some additional studies to try and replicate it. Just because you got better does not prove the drug works.

People refuse to believe medical professionals and belittle us all the time so don’t worry we’re used to the insults.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It’s borderline embarrassing the last page of posts. It’s ok to have good news guys.
As someone currently treating people in the hospital I think I may know more then you. I didn’t hope it failed, and for a few months we were using it. We aren’t anymore, in fact to do so outside of a research study is currently unethical and illegal; because multiple studies have suggested a harm to patients, this is one study, it will probably spurn some additional studies to try and replicate it. Just because you got better does not prove the drug works.

People refuse to believe medical professionals and belittle us all the time so don’t worry we’re used to the insults.

What’s your profession?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom