Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

oceanbreeze77

Safest place to be right now. More scared to be at Publix.
Noooo not when we are so close! I'm sure the opening will go just fine.
But there are too many other factors for Disney to consider besides the parks themselves. The parks can present their own issues, but they also have to consider the community spread just outside the WDW welcome sign, the PR of opening up, the economics of it all, I just dont see how Disney can find this practical right now.

oceanbreeze77

I know people keep pointing out other theme parks being open, but Disney is Disney. There is no company like Disney. They are leaders and they consistently set the bar for the theme park world. Its time for them to take leadership on this.

electric

I know people keep pointing out other theme parks being open, but Disney is Disney. There is no company like Disney. They are leaders and they consistently set the bar for the theme park world. Its time for them to take leadership on this.
If disney keeps delaying, there won't be a Disney. They cant keep running the company without any money coming in.

chriskbrown

I think they open in spite of the numbers. Frankly, it is too close to pull the plug from an optics view. But the harder question is how many folks will to come to WDW with the rising cases (or that matter DL as LA county is really rising too). Double edge sword - limited capacity so it creates an artificial capacity ceiling on the parks (and thus the resorts) but the rise in cases will also decrease demand. My wife wants no part of Florida right now...and we live in North Carolina

tissandtully

I don't know how the tourism sector survives if we continuously shut down though. Too many employees dependent on it. We're just gonna have to wade through this and be careful. The state needs to make masks mandatory, to just get us into better territory. But we can't constantly shutdown without any govt help.

chriskbrown

I don't know how the tourism sector survives if we continuously shut down though. Too many employees dependent on it. We're just gonna have to wade through this and be careful. The state needs to make masks mandatory, to just get us into better territory. But we can't constantly shutdown without any govt help.

Go back to 9/11 - we went in Feb 2002 and the parks were empty - came back in October in 2003 for an unprecedented pay for 4 get 7 package for WDW. I think we are looking at years here. What is really going to hurt are all the business outside of WDW - those smaller resorts, etc. the 192 corridor - ouch..

tissandtully

Go back to 9/11 - we went in Feb 2002 and the parks were empty - came back in October in 2003 for an unprecedented pay for 4 get 7 package for WDW. I think we are looking at years here. What is really going to hurt are all the business outside of WDW - those smaller resorts, etc. the 192 corridor - ouch..
Yeah, I'm really appalled at the govt response to all of this. We could have done better, pay people to stay home, freeze rent/mortgages, but now we're past the point of no return.

mickeymiss

Regardless of how the number is calculated, Disney has to be very nervous. Example The Publix behind MK has a covid case - so its pretty much everywhere.

The grocery store in the town over from me had a case. It was an isolated case. It will happen and has been happening. It doesn't mean it came from a theme park and it doesn't mean an outbreak will result. I don't think people realize that 30-50 individual cases spread out in central Florida supermarkets is better than the 5 in my small area. There are only 100,000 people in my county for perspective. Florida is HUGE!

Last edited:

legwand77

For orange county, they are actually less than they were last week at their peak few days of 900-1000 cases a day, only 555 new cases today in Orange County, around 6% of the state total. Close to 50% of all Florida new cases are still in the South Florida area. I would think if the parks opening contributed significantly to new cases we would see a steady climb in Orange but they are not seeing that in the past few weeks.

KBLovedDisney

If the higher ups of Disney have yet to change their minds on the opening dates of the parks even after the recent surge in virus cases, I doubt they will change their minds now. They are business. They require money to stay afloat.

Scary though. Doesn't feel right. Also scared for all of those workers going back to the parks, putting their lives at risk for others enjoyment.

I just don't get it. This world has gone crazy.

Touchdown

And all those people in South Florida are definitely not go up North to get some entertainment when everything is shut down around them...

mickeymiss

For orange county, they are actually less than they were last week at their peak few days of 900-1000 cases a day, only 555 new cases today in Orange County, around 6% of the state total. Close to 50% of all Florida new cases are still in the South Florida area. I would think if the parks opening contributed significantly to new cases we would see a steady climb in Orange but they are not seeing that in the past few weeks.

I'm still amazed by the comparatively low death rate in Orange County. They're doing something right. It is impressive for that population. Smaller populations in my region have worse deaths per capita than that.

DMMDMM

Fewer of the people getting infected are getting seriously sick. Even as the number of infections has increased, the number of hospitalizations has slowed. At the start of the month, the state announced one hospitalization for every 10 infections. That number has since fallen to one in 20.

That’s probably because the people getting infected are younger. The median age of new cases dropped from a high of 65 in early March to 35 as of Thursday. It has continued to drop in recent days, as more cases have been discovered.

Just saying "OMG lots more cases means lots more deaths" is misleading and disingenuous. If more young people are found to have the virus, this does not mean the vulnerable will be dying.

We DO need to keep social distancing and continue to protect the elderly. A blanket "CLOSE EVERYTHING" is not the answer.

PS, I fully support anyone's decision to feel differently and to take steps they feel is appropriate to keep themselves safe.

Much love.
Per Miami Herald, Florida has not been reporting COVID hospitalizations like the rest of the country. This is supposed to be fixed by end of the week. We shall see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom