Do you care about Epcot's 25th?

Should Disney celebrate Epcot's 25th?

• Yes.

Votes: 243 89.3%
  • No.

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Undecided/Don't care about the matter either way.

Votes: 22 8.1%

• Total voters

MuRkErY

By now you all know my thoughts about Epcot's 25th and Journey into Imagination, but I will keep to myself on this one until a little later in the year.... I don't want to get slammed for my statements as early as 25 days into the year!]

Say more, say more, pleaseeeeee :D

wbt06

EPCOT was walts last big dream for disney there should def be something just to honor him. and man that wand is anoying it needs to go. it is to tacky

Epcot82Guy

True, but I would hope that actually represents Walt's EPCOT and not EPCOT Center. I actually would like to see them separated and not potentially confused in the public's eye. Would anyone else like to see Oddyssey become a huge Epcot history center? Similar to One Man's Dream but all about EPCOT and its inspiration? Maybe I'm dreaming! :lol:

wbt06

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: YES i love one mans dream. Walt has been in inperation to me ever sence i first went to disney at age 13. it would be great to see that

SirNim

I like the idea presented a while back about having Epcot's 25th tie into the "Year of a Million Dreams" as Epcot was "kind of" Walt's last and greatest dream. I think there should be a logo designed to commemorate the event — a logo which will be displayed on banners, pins, signage, etc. solely in Epcot proper and not necessarily in the other parks on property... Retro merchandise must be produced... I don't see how the merchandisers can pass up this opportunity for some real old-school vintage Epcotana. I would love to see a resurgence of the "World Bold" (aka Prototype) typeface in these merchandising and signage efforts. The limited-engagement return of some of the old pavilion logos, or better yet a completely new set of pavilion logos, would be most welcome...

What would be really cool is a new "show" at the Fountain of Nations. Similar to how Disneyland's new firework show incorporates the musical themes of many attractions past and present, I'd love to hear the old Epcot synthesizer theme songs combined into a new medley to which the Fountain of Nations can dance. Why not?

Of course, restore the original entrance music loop for this year only. That rendition of "Energy: You Make the World Go 'Round" is still unbelievably powerful.

Oh, and one more thing: Have the Wand disassembled, cut into bite-sized pieces, and sold as collectors' items by the 1st of October!

dvcnut39

I absolutely think Disney should have some sort of celebration. It seems a shame it may pass by without acknowledgement.:(

I agree. EPCOT was supposed to be Walt's dream. Even though the Imagineers couldn't figure out how to accomplish it until Celebration was built, I feel that not honoring EPCOT's 25th is a shame.

philsfan2185

Absolutely, Epcot should have it's 25th anniversary celebrated.

Paint Spacship Earth pink and put a party hat on it! (sarcasm)

Seriously though, it should be celebrated. Nothing extravagant like the Magic Kingdoms 25th, but something very respectful.

mikesoccer40

Celebrations Yes - EPCOT Tailored YES

An celebration to honor the idea behind EPCOT would be fantastic.

We are a family of five (Mom, Dad, Dau-19, Son-16, Son-7) and everyone, including the little one, enjoys a day at EPCOT. It is great to go on the thrill rides in front, but all my kids still enjoy the World portion to include the movies, shops, learning, and everything that makes EPCOT unique.

An celebration to recognize the idea of EPCOT (maybe slightly squewed to boost attendance) needs to be celebrated in the EPCOT manner though. I think that would be an celebration that revolves around being dignified, educational and future-thinking.

Thanks for allowing me to post

BG Rugger

Absolutely. Being a social studies teacher, I love learning about & exploring differnet aspects of society - including cultures and the limitless possibilites the future holds for us. Epcot does that. As much as we complain how Epcot needs updated ( in many areas it does ) it still inspires me. Because of these reasons, and it being one of my favorite parks, it should have the celebration it deserves and it should be just as grand as the celebrations for the other parks.

alanindy

Epcot is also my favorite park at WDW. It is a bit troubling that we haven't really heard anything more concrete by this point, since we're only 8 months out from a "kick-off" of it's anniversary. I would hate to think that Disney is blowing this opportunity to do what they really are very focused on these days: make money. The merchandise opportunities alone would be well worth the effort. They learned what can happen with some effort (not a huge one at that) with the Disneyland 50th celebration. Some much needed paint on structures, one new fireworks show, one new temporary exhibit, one new parade, and tacking on the already planned Buzz Lightyear addition and Space Mtn revamp. Disneyland experienced record attendance and it made a load of cash for them. Heck, it caused me to venture out there for a week long visit just to see the fireworks show! I almost spent more on that 6 day vacation at Disneyland than I did on my last 2 - 5 day visits to WDW!

Doing a similar effort at Epcot could substantially raise attendance and revenue. Create a new show to replace Illuminations (supposedly already in the works), possibly enhance Spaceship Earth (again rumored to be in the works with Siemens), rework Journey into Imagination (AGAIN), new film for Soarin', new films in Canada, China (probably tougher to do), Norway, and France, update El Rio Del Tiempo in Mexico (supposedly already in the works). Bring back a new version of Tapestry of Nations, do SOMETHING with Wonders of Life, put in an exhibit on the history of Epcot and Walt's original dream for EPCOT (in Innoventions, Oddessy, or the Millenium pavillion), create some spiffy new anniversary merchandise for everyone to empty their bank accounts to buy (Spaceship Earth MouseEars anyone?), and get rid of the wand. Heck, sell off parts of the wand as another poster mentioned and make even more $$. The film updates for world showcase, while easily would be a few million $$ each to produce, would be very low cost given the many years they can run versus a $10 to $20million new attraction. Soarin - a more expensive film to produce, but again, given many years of run, it wouldn't be a huge expense overall.

As another poster noted, spread out the attraction enhancements from 2007 into late 2008, and have the parade, fireworks, and historical exhibit ready to go on Oct 1, 2007. It worked for Disneyland in a major way.

I had planned on making a trip to WDW just for Epcot's 25th by mid 2008, IF they had a celebration worthy of the effort. If they dont, then I definitely wont go until 2009 or so. When one has to be selective with big vacations and save up for quite a while to do so, it isn't worth the money to go without something new and special to see.

So Disney, dont go to the effort to celebrate, and many of us won't either.

Sorry for the long post!

ears2you

epcot is the best! even if it werent it has been around for 25 years. i think disney would be crazy not to celebrate it. think of all the money from clothes and stuff it could pull in

Figments Friend

Not only do I care, I fully intend to be there on the anniversary date to celebrate in person.

Interesting you should mention this.....as i also plan on doing the same.

This brings up a idea i had late last year. I was thinking of having a meet up on Oct 1st at EPCOT for all the die hard EC fans. I was going to post a thread, get people pumped, and then tell everyone to meet infront of SE right after you get through the gates ( before the "LAL" stones).

Sound like something you would be into? I'll be there that day regardless...no doubt wearing my retro EPCOT CENTER t-shirt!!

:wave:

So who here is up for a "rally" on Oct 1st? Let's celebrate EPCOT's 25th even if Disney does not have a interest!

Let's hear from all you Pro-EC fans!!

KaliSplash

Epcot was the first Disney park that I got to attend within a month of opening day. And I still love it.

I wish they would do something wonderful, but they already would have to have been doing it for it to be truly worthwhile.

Oh well. We are getting various improvements, hopefully these will continue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom