Do you care about Epcot's 25th?

Should Disney celebrate Epcot's 25th?

• Yes.

Votes: 243 89.3%
  • No.

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Undecided/Don't care about the matter either way.

Votes: 22 8.1%

• Total voters

CThaddeus

How about for the 25th they institute the "Whack-a-Wand" game. Each person gets a mallet after they walk through the turnstile and gets a shot at that dumb wand. I'd make a special trip out just for that.
I'd also be extremely happy if they gutted Test Track and returned World of Motion, removed HISTA and brought back Captain EO, reopened Wonders of Life for the WHOLE year, returned all the great BGM, and somehow got Horizons rebuilt and Journey Into Imagination returned to its former glory. That's not asking too much, is it?

hammysammy59

Since SpaceShip Earth seems to have been undergoing so much work lately (at least the after-ride portion was when I was there last April), I think if we get anything at all for the 25th, it'd probably be the unveiling of a new and improved SSE. Which would be awesome by me.

But, like you guys, I have a laundry list of things I'd REALLY like to see, starting with tearing down that fugly-assed wand. Sweet Christ KILL IT WITH FIRE.

From there, I'd restore all the awesome fonts, logos and music of the 80s future. Not out of nostalgia, but becuase it is my favorite frigging version of the the future, and I miss having a theme park devoted to the 80s future. When someone says "future" I still think flying cars and original recipe EPCOT.

Of course, the other thing I want as bad as the death of the stupid wand is a WAY better Journey into Imagination. The amount of unused track is sickening. Of course, I don't want them to just revert to the original (though heck, I'd take it given the chance) but rather follow in the SPIRIT of the original, and update it a little. If they still traveled through the arts (literature, graphic arts, etc.) maybe they could add a little section about interactive media (internet, video games, etc.)?

Maybe they could pump up Innoventions while they're at it. Hell, if they don't have any good ideas, throw a couple Nintendo Wiis and Honda's Asimo robot in there... be WAY more futuristic than dropping a safe on a trash can or whatever stupid demos they have in there now. And of course, I'd like to see a reengergized Wonders of Life too...

Other than those though, I'm pretty happy with EPCOT. Yeah, I'm one of THOSE people that actually really enjoys Soarin', Mission: Space, Test Track and Ellen's Energy Adventure.

SO. EPCOT's 25th. Realistically, we'll get a freshened up SSE. Unrealistically, we'll get everything I want. :) Fingers crossed...

brkgnews

Interesting you should mention this.....as i also plan on doing the same.

This brings up a idea i had late last year. I was thinking of having a meet up on Oct 1st at EPCOT for all the die hard EC fans. I was going to post a thread, get people pumped, and then tell everyone to meet infront of SE right after you get through the gates ( before the "LAL" stones).

Sound like something you would be into? I'll be there that day regardless...no doubt wearing my retro EPCOT CENTER t-shirt!!

:wave:

So who here is up for a "rally" on Oct 1st? Let's celebrate EPCOT's 25th even if Disney does not have a interest!

Let's hear from all you Pro-EC fans!!
I'm in. :D

mustanggta

Epcot

:kiss: We will be at Disney Sept. 29 -Oct 6 at Shades of Green, we are really hope something is planned if not it would be disapointing.

jcc0621

Absolutely, Epcot should have it's 25th anniversary celebrated.

Paint Spacship Earth pink and put a party hat on it! (sarcasm)

Seriously though, it should be celebrated. Nothing extravagant like the Magic Kingdoms 25th, but something very respectful.

Dear God, don't give Disney any ideas. It's abd enough the hand is there ruining the sight of spaceship earth :p

speck76

What would a celebration of Epcot's 25th accomplish?

....and what exactly are we celebrating?

Are we celebrating the day that a park (that no longer exists) named EPCOT Center opened?

Are we celebrating everything that the park used to stand for, or what is stands for today?

Are we celebrating the past that never was and the future that never will be, or the stop-gap reality that has become today?

:confused:

doop

Of course I do. I hope they really do something special to commemorate the anniversary of one of the greatest theme parks in the world.

Epcot82Guy

Are we celebrating the day that a park (that no longer exists) named EPCOT Center opened?

Are we celebrating everything that the park used to stand for, or what is stands for today?

Are we celebrating the past that never was and the future that never will be, or the stop-gap reality that has become today?

I have to point out, with that logic, why celebrate any anniversaries for anything? WDW is clearly MUCH MUCH more than what it was in 1971, so why celebrate it's 25th. Same for DL. Why on earth would we celebrate world-wide the creation of this little theme park when it is the parks empire that is now important?

I guess just a few reasons that would come to mind:

1. This is the first park that broke the "kingdom" model and showed that Disney has much more creative muscle to flex.

2. It was arguably one of the most ambitious building projects of the 1980's anywhere.

3. The park always has (and continues to in a major way) always celebrated creativity and accomplishment. This is pretty much more Disney than the MK as far as attitude and approach.

4. Love it, hate it, or indifferent, Epcot is pretty close to a universally recognized name in America.

5. It provides an opportunity to market something on a smaller scale but still sell a lot of commemerative merchandise. That brings in $$$.

6. It provides a park that is more focused on a different demographic that recently has been almost entirely removed from Disney's marketing campaign - adults without children.

Just a few thoughts I had. :wave:

speck76

I have to point out, with that logic, why celebrate any anniversaries for anything? WDW is clearly MUCH MUCH more than what it was in 1971, so why celebrate it's 25th. Same for DL. Why on earth would we celebrate world-wide the creation of this little theme park when it is the parks empire that is now important?

The vision and purpose of WDW as a whole has remained constant. The only thing at Epcot that has remained constant is the fact that is still is actually a theme park. The vision of Epcot today is nothing like the idealistic vision that EPCOT Center presented in 1982

With my logic, while a theme park has existed on the site of Epcot for 25 years, the park we know as Epcot TODAY is a theme park that is really only 9 years old. Perhaps next year we should celebrate the 10th anniversary of Epcot.

I guess just a few reasons that would come to mind:

1. This is the first park that broke the "kingdom" model and showed that Disney has much more creative muscle to flex.

2. It was arguably one of the most ambitious building projects of the 1980's anywhere.

3. The park always has (and continues to in a major way) always celebrated creativity and accomplishment. This is pretty much more Disney than the MK as far as attitude and approach.

4. Love it, hate it, or indifferent, Epcot is pretty close to a universally recognized name in America.

5. It provides an opportunity to market something on a smaller scale but still sell a lot of commemerative merchandise. That brings in $$$.

6. It provides a park that is more focused on a different demographic that recently has been almost entirely removed from Disney's marketing campaign - adults without children.

Just a few thoughts I had. :wave:

#6 is key....

Xadllas

Hmm reasons why to celebrate Walts Dream that has been some what brought to reality for 25 years, brought fun and joy to millions, gave us (and took away) many amazing, beautiful, charming, and somewhat funny Attractions. But sadly we probably wont see a celebration because Disney is all too obssessed with the Pixar projects. But anyways Epcot is more than some crappy Six Flags in which you make it sound like. So what would we be celebrating? Well if your a WDW fan speck76 you should know what we would be celebrating.

hrcollectibles

(Disney) do need to celebrate it. I have been a Fan of EPCOT Center (Epcot as it is now called) since I can remember. And fee that is a very important cog in the Disney Machine

dxwwf3

Throwing the WDW fans a bone. It's not like we couldn't use one. And the selling of merchandise.

They could celebrate anything they wanted to. Usually these celebrations are very forced and nobody has any personal feelings for them. However, this is something that certain people would really enjoy. As most of us have said before, it doesn't have to be a big deal that has a lot of money pumped into it. Throw some signs up, possibly something that honors the past, maybe change some area music and have plenty of stuff to sell.

Also welcome back. I had a feeling this thread might drag you back when I saw it :lol:

dxwwf3

With my logic, while a theme park has existed on the site of Epcot for 25 years, the park we know as Epcot TODAY is a theme park that is really only 9 years old. Perhaps next year we should celebrate the 10th anniversary of Epcot.

But no park has a better list of past and present attractions to celebrate for a special event like Epcot (Disneyland would have to be a close 2nd though). Disney could honor the past and celebrate the present of Epcot with a little celebration. Even though the Magic Kingdom today is different from the Magic Kingdom of the 70's and 80's, but I guarantee there will be celebrations for the 50th anniversary of that park (and the resort in general).

I know that you pretty much hate the Epcot of the 80's and that's fine, but it was still part of the park's history. But you could still have a successful Epcot celebration without mentioning that time specifically. But I do think a film presentation similar to what Disneyland did for the 50th with Steve Martin would be a nice addition to Innoventions :lookaroun :lol:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Just filling up the empty hallway in Innovention West behind the Fountainview and Club Cool with concept art, models, and videos of the opening days glitz would make many people very very happy.

speck76

Throwing the WDW fans a bone. It's not like we couldn't use one. And the selling of merchandise.

They could celebrate anything they wanted to. Usually these celebrations are very forced and nobody has any personal feelings for them. However, this is something that certain people would really enjoy. As most of us have said before, it doesn't have to be a big deal that has a lot of money pumped into it. Throw some signs up, possibly something that honors the past, maybe change some area music and have plenty of stuff to sell.

Also welcome back. I had a feeling this thread might drag you back when I saw it :lol:

Anything more than "this" is a waste of money by WDC :lol:
10945572.jpg

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
325 THOUSAND dollars for the crown worn in the publicity photo for YOMD's and then stuck in a glass case of the Cinderella suite wasn't a waste of money?

speck76

But no park has a better list of past and present attractions to celebrate for a special event like Epcot (Disneyland would have to be a close 2nd though). Disney could honor the past and celebrate the present of Epcot with a little celebration. Even though the Magic Kingdom today is different from the Magic Kingdom of the 70's and 80's, but I guarantee there will be celebrations for the 50th anniversary of that park (and the resort in general).

I know that you pretty much hate the Epcot of the 80's and that's fine, but it was still part of the park's history. But you could still have a successful Epcot celebration without mentioning that time specifically. But I do think a film presentation similar to what Disneyland did for the 50th with Steve Martin would be a nice addition to Innoventions :lookaroun :lol:

I don't hate EPCOT Center....I just have the ability (unlike most people here) to understand why it had to change, and accept that it will never again be the way it was in 1982.

If the "celebration" is not going to significantly increase revenue for the park, the money should be better spent on something that will increase revenue (like fixing MGM)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom