Do we REALLY need bags checked?

luv

THIS. The bag checks serve several purposes, many have been mentioned here already, but...

• Informing guests what is appropriate and not appropriate to bring into the parks
  • Banning dangerous items that people may have forgotten they brought in
  • Slowing people down to let security have more time to view suspicious behavior
  • People without bags are sent to a separate area and its usually only 10% of guests, so again, easier for security to monitor them
  • Visibility...there's usually a local police officer right nearby as well.
  • And with the new MagicBigBrother+ they will need another way to slow guests down sinec the actual "turnstyles" might be going away.
Don't need any of that.

Why do people always talk about undercover people watching you? What purpose do they believe that serves?

What I want to hear is that they have as many, if not more, people armed and ready to start shooting if needed. I don't mean cops who will hang around outside, holding their guns out for no reason. I mean guys, in the park, preferably vets, who will not hesitate to go toward the gunmen and kill them.

That's what I want. That will make me feel safer.

And, frankly, if they're doing all this security theater and NOT actually putting in people to kill the bad guys, they should be ashamed of themselves. They will not be able to argue that they never thought it would be a problem - not when they hold thousands of people up every single day for "security" purposes.

Looking in my purse won't help anyone. Armed people will.

copcarguyp71

Secrecy is the key to any countermeasure...you will NEVER EVER hear about or be informed of what they have in place. Bag check is the first line of defense in what I honestly believe is a multi faceted method of security in place at the parks. I like that they make a very public showing right at the gate and yes from what I know they do discover firearms and require people to remove them and lock them away in lockers in place just for this reason until such time as they leave the park again.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Don't need any of that.

Why do people always talk about undercover people watching you? What purpose do they believe that serves?

What I want to hear is that they have as many, if not more, people armed and ready to start shooting if needed. I don't mean cops who will hang around outside, holding their guns out for no reason. I mean guys, in the park, preferably vets, who will not hesitate to go toward the gunmen and kill them.

That's what I want. That will make me feel safer.

And, frankly, if they're doing all this security theater and NOT actually putting in people to kill the bad guys, they should be ashamed of themselves. They will not be able to argue that they never thought it would be a problem - not when they hold thousands of people up every single day for "security" purposes.

Looking in my purse won't help anyone. Armed people will.

It sounds like you have a different agenda here than just discussing bag checks. Seriously, what kind of warzone are you thinking the parks are under????

Having dozens of armed guards in the parks isn't necessary and doesn't promote the kind of atmosphere most people want in a Disney park. They have a security setup that WORKS for the most part, whether you think its good or not.

luv

It sounds like you have a different agenda here than just discussing bag checks. Seriously, what kind of warzone are you thinking the parks are under????

Having dozens of armed guards in the parks isn't necessary and doesn't promote the kind of atmosphere most people want in a Disney park. They have a security setup that WORKS for the most part, whether you think its good or not.
If the parks are secure, then get rid of the bag check.

If they aren't secure, then secure them. Bag check won't cut it.

People don't need to know there are dozens of armed guards around. If you don't put uniforms on them, most people won't even know.

Their security "set-up" isn't stopping anything. The thing people are actually afraid of cannot be stopped with a bag check. The rest of it is silly stuff nobody need worry about.

EvilQueen-T

Original Poster
I'm with you there! I don't get the folks who bring in backpacks that are so full of stuff that they look like they are going on a three day hike. I would not want to carry that around all day. I have a bagalini that is just big enough to fit my phone and credit cards. I hold it open, they look in and done. They do make me take the shoulder strap off from around my neck and hold it out at arms length though. They said it was because someone said that a security guard got to close to their ummm... how should I say this without being banned for profanity??? Lets just say the security guard got a little too close to 'the girls'.

i carry a bagalini too...works fantastic. got the idea off of these boards :)

JIMINYCR

Bag check is about so much more than checking bags. It is about dividing people up so security can get a better look at a person. They are trained to noticed when people are uncomfortable, whether they are going through bag check or the regular entrance. There is so much more going on at the entrance to the park than we realize. I think I can handle taking a couple extra minutes to go through bag check in order to maintain the safety of my family.

Exactly. A friend of mine who has been in law enforcement for many years and is in a high up security level position told me how he is trained to watch for subtle signs, body movements, thing that show up that people unknowingly exhibit, things you and I who are non risk wouldnt show. A person who is thinking of or intending on doing something evil/unlawful, most of the time will give themselves away.
I just hope the security bag check officers are not as bored as they look and they are aware enough to catch that one in a million evil doer they have to catch.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
If the parks are secure, then get rid of the bag check.

If they aren't secure, then secure them. Bag check won't cut it.

People don't need to know there are dozens of armed guards around. If you don't put uniforms on them, most people won't even know.

Their security "set-up" isn't stopping anything. The thing people are actually afraid of cannot be stopped with a bag check. The rest of it is silly stuff nobody need worry about.

So you have proof that the setup is not secure?

R W B

Now this just makes me think you are putting yourself in a false sense of security you feel safe at WDW because you carry a knife yet in all reality it probably makes you no safer if someone starts shooting (imho)

to quote an old saying "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight "
No, what I said probably came out wrong. I don't feel safe because I carry a small 3" knife, I feel safe because I'm at wdw. I was simply saying I do always carry a small pocket knife because it comes in handy for multiple reasons.

copcarguyp71

I would be VERY disturbed at the prospect of using a firearm (except at point blank range), in such a densely populated area. Just for reference sake... I sort of wish some LEO's (we have several on the board) would comment on all this...

They are called Tasers and are very effective. Not every weapon shoots bullets. There are also less than lethal bullets and bean bag guns that can also be used. Society has necessitated the innovation of new ways to manage crowds and dangerous individuals.

PyroKinesis

If you have a problem with bag checks, you're probably planning some kind of an attack on the parks. I will be contacting the proper authorities, and having you arrested as soon as possible.

Disneykidder

You know... I would have to wonder about that. And not for any "pro armed guard" or "anti-armed guard" reasons...

It's because of the sheer DENSITY of innocent bystanders. Disneykidder, I have a CCW... and must admit, I would be VERY disturbed at the prospect of using a firearm (except at point blank range), in such a densely populated area. Just for reference sake... I sort of wish some LEO's (we have several on the board) would comment on all this...
Awesome point. It's also comforting knowing the 'good guys' are undercover ready to strike, if needed.

EvilQueen-T

Original Poster
If you have a problem with bag checks, you're probably planning some kind of an attack on the parks. I will be contacting the proper authorities, and having you arrested as soon as possible.

make sure to tell them to interrogate me in the cinderella castle suite :D...i'll be there friday.

Phonedave

Bag check is about so much more than checking bags. It is about dividing people up so security can get a better look at a person. They are trained to noticed when people are uncomfortable, whether they are going through bag check or the regular entrance. There is so much more going on at the entrance to the park than we realize. I think I can handle taking a couple extra minutes to go through bag check in order to maintain the safety of my family.

Thank you

It is not as much a "bag check" as it is a "controlled check point". People are funneled through a point where security is, and they are slowed down to a point where they can be individualy visually profiled.

-dave

Timekeeper

You don't need pockets to bring alcohol into the parks ...you just need a bottle. Grey Goose in a water bottle or Jagermeister in a Coke bottle or sangria in a juice bottle give the appearance of completely normal contents.

Security at Universal, on the other hand, have been known to require that guests allow them to smell (yes, smell) the contents of their beverage to check for alcohol contents. I suppose that's when one would turn to the flask and pocket approach.

Chrononymous

Normally, the bag check doesn't bother me.

But there was the one time, I had an issue.

I had bought a big ceramic coffee mug (Cheshire Cat!) at a store in HS, and park hopped to MK, later in the same day.

The guy at the bag check wouldn't let me in with it, because it was heavy and ceramic.
What the heck?
After explaining that I had bought it in a park, and had no way of stashing it anywhere...he had to call over his supervisor to sort it out.

His superior looked at me, looked at the mug, and with an amused expression asked "are you intending on hitting anyone with this mug, Ma'am?"

When I said no, he finally let me in with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom