Do we REALLY need bags checked?

EvilQueen-T

Original Poster
I know when bag check lines started post 9/11 everyone was full of fear of everything and anything being blown up or terrorized in some fashion. So all these years later what are your thoughts of the ongoing use of bag line checks at the parks?

PUSH

Bag check definitely makes me feel safer, and I would never want it to go away. Also, there's so much security that we don't even notice in the parks. There are people dressed up as guests who are actually security. There are cameras everywhere, and I bet there are things that nobody even knows about.

Getting back to the main topic... I feel safe with the bag checks and while it's probably more for that reason, it still makes people feel safe.

BigRedDad

The bags checks net nothing in my opinion. I could easily sneak anything into the park I wanted: alcohol, knife, gun, bomb, you name it. It is kind of pointless to have it when they find nothing.

George Lucas on a Bench

It is not pointless. It's an annoying formality there for dissuasion, basically.

Anyone in their right mind realizes that whatever small objects these guards are searching for in a backpack or purse can clearly be brought into the park by various means regardless of the security check.

Though it did put a damper on my plan to bring my truck into EPCOT and drive around the Future World.

wdwfan4ver

I don't think will be a time without Bags checked again. From a security standpoint, Disney isn't going far enough if they really care about safety in the parks.

I am saying because a parson can wear cargo pants and they do have a lot of pockets. I am known to wear cargo pants at WDW because you carry a lot of stuff. None of the stuff I carry is breaking the park rules such as carrying punchos.

Cargo pants is very handy, but you actually get away with bring stuff in by wearing cargo pants or anything with pockets. There is a reason why people have been successful in sneaking in alcohol at the Magic Kingdom and a person having pockets is a way that you can sneak alcohol in a theme park.

Since people have been successful in bringing alcohol into the MK, I think it wouldn't be hard to imagine a person carrying enough worse stuff in pockets as a result.

scpergj

No...not important and should be done away with. Seriously.

I could carry a small frame weapon in my pockets, no need for a bag (No, I've never carried in the parks). And as for knives? I ALWAYS have my 3 1/2 stainless steel lock back knife in my pocket. Always. You never need a knife until you need a knife badly.

Quick short baq check story - not at WDW, but at Atlanta's Georgia Aquarium. In order to enter, not only do you have a bag check, but you get wanded, too. I had my knife in my pocket. I saw them wanding people and I put it in my camera bag with my keys and camera cleaning stuff. Never gave it a second look.

Bag checks are to make people FEEL safer, not to actually make people safer.

Adam5897

Is it really that big of a deal for them to check your bag? It really dosent take much time and even though it can't stop some things it makes me feel a little safer. So I say yes.

Disneyhead'71

It is security theater. It is there strictly to make you Think you are safer. When in actuality, it really does nothing but create a bottleneck getting into the parks..

Now the way Universal does during HHN (Empty your pockets, Metal Detector, then wanded if you set off the metal detector) does stop someone from bringing in weapons.

Adam5897

It is security theater. It is there strictly to make you Think you are safer. When in actuality, it really does nothing but create a bottleneck getting into the parks..

Now the way Universal does during HHN (Empty your pockets, Metal Detector, then wanded if you set off the metal detector) does stop someone from bringing in weapons.

I think disney should do this. People will disagree but there are crazy people out there that can do some horrible things and its better safe than sorry.

PUSH

Also, once the security guard took the battery powered fans out of the bags and checked inside where the batteries go. So they do actually check your bags some for security reasons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom