Do we REALLY need bags checked?

lunchbox1175

People who think it is a nuiscance or not necessary need a reality check. Sure bring in a knife, your not going to hurt that many people with it, maybe one or two. Bags allow the oportunity for you to bring in say a hand gun and multiple mags for it...sure its Disney World, no one would do that, you will say...try saying that to the people of Aurora Colorado, there are crazy people in this world, and while it may not be the most efficient or even stringent of security checks, it is a detterent, and that is what it is meant to be. Does it make me feel safer, no, but honestly thats because i am in the bubble and not thinking about that stuff as well as most others are. This shouldn't even be a topic for discussion, security and safety are things that should never be questioned unless you are talking about its effectiveness and how to make it better.

Lil Fort

I like that they are doing something, but I think we would be fooling ourselves if we think that we are that much safer because of it. They check bags, they don't check people or pockets and actually I'm glad that they don't. Going through a metal detector or being frisked or wanded by a security guard would not be a very magical beginning to my day in the parks.

The only thing that I don't like about it is that it gives the the hubbs an excuse to be cute. He always walks through after me and asks the guards if they want to check his bag while pointing to me. The guards generally look mildly amused, as I'm sure he's not the first to use that line. There was one time that the guard told him not to be surprised if his key didn't work that night... Now that was funny! ;)

Disneyhead'71

I believe that you can bring in small snacks and such. But I don't believe that you can wheel in a cooler full of food for your families lunch. You used to be able to back in the day. And they had covered picnic areas where you could eat. But I believe that that is no longer allowed.

StarWarsGirl

Anyone who sticks their hand in my bag sticks it in at their own risk. I think it's a good idea still, though some of the security people take it overboard. Maybe when I go to work for Disney I'll work in security for a little bit just to see what it's like checking bags.

StarWarsGirl

I like that they are doing something, but I think we would be fooling ourselves if we think that we are that much safer because of it. They check bags, they don't check people or pockets and actually I'm glad that they don't. Going through a metal detector or being frisked or wanded by a security guard would not be a very magical beginning to my day in the parks.

The only thing that I don't like about it is that it gives the the hubbs an excuse to be cute. He always walks through after me and asks the guards if they want to check his bag while pointing to me. The guards generally look mildly amused, as I'm sure he's not the first to use that line. There was one time that the guard told him not to be surprised if his key didn't work that night... Now that was funny! ;)
He's not. A few years ago, my uncle made up the joke, "Hey, if bags fly free, does that mean wives fly free?" while on vacation at WDW with us. Said uncle is divorced. Then my father got in on it and said, "Oh, you can go through guests without bags! You don't have a wife!" Then we had some friends come down, and they told the husband the bags jokes. And then they all laugh and start making the bag jokes. When they bought something and the cast member asked if they needed a bag, the friend said, "Oh I already got my bag," and point to his wife. So all of us women are sitting around shaking our heads for most of that trip (and plotting revenge). Which my mom and her friend eventually got.

I think that the security measures act more as a deterrent then anything. You know, just so someone who is dumb enough to bring a gun or something else dangerous might think twice. But I agree with you that there's really nothing they can do. I always feel perfectly safe at WDW. I actually feel safer there than at home. Or at school.

wdwfan4ver

People who think it is a nuiscance or not necessary need a reality check. Sure bring in a knife, your not going to hurt that many people with it, maybe one or two. Bags allow the oportunity for you to bring in say a hand gun and multiple mags for it...sure its Disney World, no one would do that, you will say...try saying that to the people of Aurora Colorado, there are crazy people in this world, and while it may not be the most efficient or even stringent of security checks, it is a detterent, and that is what it is meant to be. Does it make me feel safer, no, but honestly thats because i am in the bubble and not thinking about that stuff as well as most others are. This shouldn't even be a topic for discussion, security and safety are things that should never be questioned unless you are talking about its effectiveness and how to make it better.
I have heard of shooting in the last 15 to 20 years in schools and I am more than aware of the issue for nutcases with a gun. That is serious problem, but Disney only doing bag checks only isn't the answer either.

There is ways to get around bag checks to bring weapons without using bags like I mentioned on my prior post on this topic. That is why the bag checks actually isn't effective if Disney's aim is making the parks safer.

People can put guns and stuff in their pants pockets instead of bags. I am saying because stores do sell cargo pants/cargo shorts. Cargo Pants/Cargo Shorts are great on trips because of the amount stuff you can curry and plus having pockets that you can shut. The thing is Cargo Pants/Cargo shorts can be used for hiding illegal stuff such as some types of guns because of how much room the pockets have and the fact some of the front pockets can be closed and that means you can get away with carrying a knife in a front cargo pants pocket without getting caught.

EvilQueen-T

Original Poster
Basically, I was just curious what people thought based on their own experiences and given all that's happened in places like Colorado etc...and how in most instances my bag gets a little fondled and that's it. Often they don't even look down into the bag with more than a glance. I also agree they only look so far with strollers and people who bring in multiple large bags/backpacks (why people carry all the cargo when they don't have babies is beyond me anyway lol). I certainly realize the bag check is meant to deter and will never be 100%. I think we just have to accept that in an open society. I don't ever expect them to stop doing them and honestly am just glad they haven't made the rule that all bags must be clear/see through as they do at places like some of the NASCAR race venues I've been to. I also just like to see what other people are thinking and noticing in and around the parks :) so I hope people take this thread for it's simple debate and don't get to overly upset/heated.

HouCuseChickie

While the bag check may deter some people from bringing in things they shouldn't...things can get missed and many things can be easily carried on your body...making bag check pretty pointless. I will say that it doesn have a positive psychological effect on me...i.e. at the time it makes me feel safer, but deep down I know it's a false sense of security.

luv

Stops nothing.

Takes up time.

Is gross. Icky hands in my stuff. YUCK!

I have actually bought shorts with bunches of pockets just so I could wear them to theme parks and skip those lines.

Lil Fort

...I also agree they only look so far with strollers and people who bring in multiple large bags/backpacks (why people carry all the cargo when they don't have babies is beyond me anyway lol)...
I'm with you there! I don't get the folks who bring in backpacks that are so full of stuff that they look like they are going on a three day hike. I would not want to carry that around all day. I have a bagalini that is just big enough to fit my phone and credit cards. I hold it open, they look in and done. They do make me take the shoulder strap off from around my neck and hold it out at arms length though. They said it was because someone said that a security guard got to close to their ummm... how should I say this without being banned for profanity??? Lets just say the security guard got a little too close to 'the girls'.

PhotoDave219

Yes. Yes we need bag check to help weed out things that should not be let into the parks.

IMO, Bag check doesnt go far enough to explain to guests what is and is not appropriate for the theme parks.

I dont get why people need to bring everything and the kitchen sink or a stroller the size of my friend's FIAT into the parks. I dont feel the need to weigh myself down like that. I can understand that if you have a baby and theyre still in diapers, you're going to need supplies. But bringing a rolling cooler in? Its a theme park, not a tailgate....

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Having firsthand seen a park guest pulled to one side during a bag check at the magic kingdom for having a firearm in her "handbag" i don't resent bagcheck at all..
No matter what Disney do in this respect it will never be right for some people.
As for a PP
"I could carry a small frame weapon in my pockets, no need for a bag (No, I've never carried in the parks). And as for knives? I ALWAYS have my 3 1/2 stainless steel lock back knife in my pocket. Always. You never need a knife until you need a knife badly."
Do you carry your knife everywhere at WDW... and if so WHY ??

CLandrum

Bag check is about so much more than checking bags. It is about dividing people up so security can get a better look at a person. They are trained to noticed when people are uncomfortable, whether they are going through bag check or the regular entrance. There is so much more going on at the entrance to the park than we realize. I think I can handle taking a couple extra minutes to go through bag check in order to maintain the safety of my family.

FettFan

I honestly prefer bag checking. Not like it would seriously STOP anything, but at least it puts that awareness in everyone's mind.

But as far as I know those things ARE allowed to be brought in. You just can't bring in alcohol or things in glass containers.

That's what Nalgene bottles are for. ;)

"Yes, sir. Just my...water... here. Totally not going to be pouring it on a Dole Whip or anything."

BigRedDad

I know I am against it, but what I am more against is the randomness and lack of scrutiny. Yes, my camera bag gets looked at. There are about a 1000 different compartments (highly exaggerated). I have lenses in other bags inside it. They never check in those other bags which could easily hide an IED. Next, if they are checking bags, why are they not checking the ECVs? Seriously, the people on them should need a license and motor vehicle insurance. Also, these devices can easily hide a small nuclear weapon that could level the entire 47 square miles. This is an exaggerated thought, but the ECVs are large and have all the components on them already to trigger a weapon. Personally, I fear them more than anything else at WDW. I still remember the lady (used extremely loosely) that almost ran me over and knocking my daughter from my shoulders. Listening to her yelling as I took the key from it and eventually handing it to a CM about 100y away.

What I am getting at is that they are not that effective. The reason is if someone wanted to bring a weapon to cause harm, it would not be difficult to do.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I know when bag check lines started post 9/11 everyone was full of fear of everything and anything being blown up or terrorized in some fashion. So all these years later what are your thoughts of the ongoing use of bag line checks at the parks?
I'm not a fan of bag check. That being said all it takes is 1 lone wacko to destroy alot of lives. So I guess I'm going with better safe than sorry!

copcarguyp71

I do still think there should be bag checks. Bad and or stupid people do not have an expiration date so I do not see what difference it is how long it has been since 911 and I really do not think it is that much of an imposition on my day to go through it. If they find one weapon out of an entire days worth of bag check well then that is one less bit of possible danger for me and my family.

Sometimes safety requires a bit of inconvenience. Just because you have not gotten in a car accident in ten years does not mean you stop putting on your seatbelt.;)

dreamfinder

I think it's as much trying to stop people from bringing things in on accident. If you walk through the no bag line with something hidden in your pocket or on your body, you know its there. And either plan on using it (in which rent a cop won't be a deterrent to stopp) or plan on not using it. If you go through the bag line and forgot you had a handgun or something similar in your bag (it is entirely possible) you won't know its there and may either drop your bag, or if you kid starts playing with it, something bad happens.

And just like the TSA, it is 100% security theater. Helps make people feel good while being blissfully unaware of what is actually possible. Let's not get started on the brilliance of dumping any excess liquid over 3oz into a single container. Or how multiple people can carry little bottles and combine past security to get one big bottle. TSA just has a bigger budget and scarier toys than Disney does.

Texas84

Said it before. They know what and who they are looking for. It would cause a problem if they just grabbed those people for a search. Easier and more PC to make everyone go through a checkpoint.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom