Do people really avoid the Swan/Dolphin merely because...

BrianV

Reading this having just returned from the dolphin. We loved it. The location was great and unlike other disney hotels, we were able to walk in for meals Without reservations. But were downsides.

The dolphin was crawling with cheerleaders for a convention. Hundreds upon hundreds. So many that the front door was constantly backedup with cars and they closed the bus stop. You had to walk over to the swan. And the room cleaning was really late 4-5 pm. The former is obviously hit or miss and the latter probably depends on where in the hotel you are.

I wish they had DME, but two taxis for a total of about $150 solved that problem. And we didn't have to wait for DME. We could have got a shuttle likely for much less, but this worked for us. They have four or five black cars in front always for travel to and from anywhere you want.

Would totally stay there again, and in fact based on the pricing differential, we may find our selves preferring to other deluxes. Our room was $250 with tax and service the weekend before Easter. We certainly preferred to the Boardwalk, though we enjoyed the boardwalk as well.

HouCuseChickie

There are times when the Swan and Dolphin (especially the Dolphin) drop their prices to levels on par with the values. Mind you, the deepest discounts are often seen by FL residents, but my family (FL residents) have stayed at the Dolphin for as little as $116 a night and I have out of state friends who have stayed there for as little as $135 a night. Even with resort fees and lack of DME, I think it's pure foolishness to look past them for not being Disney owned.

Ragetti

I stayed there once on a business trip, so perhaps hard to compare with staying for a vacation, but frankly, it felt like any other business-class hotel in a resort town. Not bad at all, but not "Disney Cool" either. I did pop over to the parks in the evenings, but I was there on business, so that. May have colored my view.

Sage of Time

I stayed at the Swan for a conference a couple years ago. I told people then that it was extremely comfortable, had good service and nice amenities and that I was amazed at how a hotel in the middle of WDW could make you completely forget you were in the middle of WDW. Some people thought I meant that last point as a positive, and some as a negative. For me, it was a negative, but for those who aren't Disney fans, it could be a positive. Ownership isn't the issue, though.
I'm very much a Disney fan and I find it a positive. I've spent all day in the theme parks. I want a break from the (wonderful) insanity.

BigRedDad

I would stay there if the price was ever reasonable. I am a money snob. I prefer keeping as much of my money as possible. The lowest rates I have seen for our trips (and my wife is a teacher) is $225 per night. Add in the resort fee, it goes even higher. I can rent 1BR DVC villas for $1,200 (BWV) and $1,300 (SSR) for 7 nights. I have also gotten Wyndham Bonnet Creek 2BR Deluxe for $500 for 7 nights. With rates like those, I will never need to stay at the S&D.
For me it is how much money Mickey sucks out of my wallet. I tend to go the most economical route. I was content on staying at Pop Century for $1,200 for our summer trip until I got the 1BR at SSR for $1,300.

BrianV

I would stay there if the price was ever reasonable. I am a money snob. I prefer keeping as much of my money as possible. The lowest rates I have seen for our trips (and my wife is a teacher) is $225 per night. Add in the resort fee, it goes even higher. I can rent 1BR DVC villas for $1,200 (BWV) and $1,300 (SSR) for 7 nights. I have also gotten Wyndham Bonnet Creek 2BR Deluxe for $500 for 7 nights. With rates like those, I will never need to stay at the S&D.
For me it is how much money Mickey sucks out of my wallet. I tend to go the most economical route. I was content on staying at Pop Century for $1,200 for our summer trip until I got the 1BR at SSR for $1,300.

When do you go and how do you get board walk villas for 171 a night? I have never seen anything close to that for the villas?

For us, we stayed off season in late august at the board walk hotel for something like $280 and then most recently at dolphin for 225 in high season.

CaptainAmerica

When do you go and how do you get board walk villas for 171 a night? I have never seen anything close to that for the villas?

For us, we stayed off season in late august at the board walk hotel for something like $280 and then most recently at dolphin for 225 in high season.
That's what I was thinking. $1,200 for a week in the BW villas is like 70% off.

ParentsOf4

That's what I was thinking. $1,200 for a week in the BW villas is like 70% off.
On the thread titled Buying DVC...don't flame me for asking, @BigRedDad explained that this was by renting an RCI exchange. Technically, I'm not sure if Disney allows an RCI member to make a DVC exchange and then rent it to a third party.

Sometimes cheap rentals pop up on eBay. For example, a DVC member currently is asking $1650/week (with a "Make Offer" option) for a one-bedroom villa at SSR in early May. That works out to $7.26 per point.

The seller notes "The dates can not be changed and points can not be transferred", which sounds a little strange since it looks like SSR 1-bedrooms are available throughout the entire month. Even SSR Studios are available many nights.

Someone else is advertising $1,499 for May, but they also mention a $95 resort fee so that appears to be an RCI exchange.

P.S. Looking more closely at eBay, the lowest SSR 1-bedroom villa that I noticed was $1029/week in May. That also has a $95 resort fee. That works out to $4.95 per point.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

On the thread titled Buying DVC...don't flame me for asking, @BigRedDad explained that this was by renting an RCI exchange. Technically, I'm not sure if Disney allows an RCI member to make a DVC exchange and then rent it to a third party.

Sometimes cheap rentals pop up on eBay. For example, a DVC member currently is asking $1650/week (with a "Make Offer" option) for a one-bedroom villa at SSR in early May. That works out to $7.26 per point.

The seller notes "The dates can not be changed and points can not be transferred", which sounds a little strange since it looks like SSR 1-bedrooms are available throughout the entire month. Even SSR Studios are available many nights.

Someone else is advertising $1,499 for May, but they also mention a $95 resort fee so that appears to be an RCI exchange.

P.S. Looking more closely at eBay, the lowest SSR 1-bedroom villa that I noticed was $1029/week in May. That also has a $95 resort fee. That works out to $4.95 per point.
Ugh the headaches and hoops to save a couple hundred dollars... like scalping sports tickets but wondering whether they're real or not until they're scanned at the gates.

BigRedDad

As Parentsof4 stated, it was through an RCI exchange from someone that offered us the room. It was for Jan 31 - Feb 7 this year. The rate we got for SSR is through a DVC owner and it breaks down to $185 per night.

BrianV

As Parentsof4 stated, it was through an RCI exchange from someone that offered us the room. It was for Jan 31 - Feb 7 this year. The rate we got for SSR is through a DVC owner and it breaks down to $185 per night.

Nice! I would do the same. But surely, this is not a transaction a typical guest could obtain.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The prices are what keeps me from staying. We drive and I hate paying a few to park my car, it seems alittle like gouging to me.
Paying for parking at a resort I am staying at as well as "resort fees" aggravate me to no end. Even though I know S&D is a good deal even with those fees, it always leaves a bitter taste in my moth.

BrianV

Paying for parking at a resort I am staying at as well as "resort fees" aggravate me to no end. Even though I know S&D is a good deal even with those fees, it always leaves a bitter taste in my moth.

Just think of it like flying jet blue vs southwest vs delta vs spirt. The first you get free seats assignment and baggage with your flight. The second free baggage but have to pay extra for decent seats. The third you get free seat assignments but have to pay for baggage. The last, everything is extra including carry-ons.

Disney hotels are Jet Blue. The dolphin is one of the others. After you factor in everything, still could be a good deal.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Just think of it like flying jet blue vs southwest vs delta vs spirt. The first you get free seats assignment and baggage with your flight. The second free baggage but have to pay extra for decent seats. The third you get free seat assignments but have to pay for baggage. The last, everything is extra including carry-ons.

Disney hotels are Jet Blue. The dolphin is one of the others. After you factor in everything, still could be a good deal.
Not quite.

I can fly Jetblue, leave off the extras and still fly from point A to B.

When it comes to a hotel that charges for parking and various resort fees I am pretty much stuck paying them. It is like buying a TV for $500 and being told that I can't get it unless I pay $50 for a TV newsletter I neither need or want.

You are correct that in the end S&D is sill a very good value even when you include the un-optional up charges, it is just that un-optional fees have always stuck in my craw a bit as they reek of bait and switch.

Room for $189 per night!!!!
+$9.99 resort fee
+$17.00 parking fee
+$9.99 turn down service
+$9.99 elevator usage fee
+$9.99 we will not punch you in the face fee

I don't mind them having a pay as you go mini-bar in the room, I can just not use it, but having to pay for a USA today that will do noting with but shove in the recycling bin tweaks my brain a bit.

BrianV

Not quite.

I can fly Jetblue, leave off the extras and still fly from point A to B.

When it comes to a hotel that charges for parking and various resort fees I am pretty much stuck paying them. It is like buying a TV for $500 and being told that I can't get it unless I pay $50 for a TV newsletter I neither need or want.

You are correct that in the end S&D is sill a very good value even when you include the un-optional up charges, it is just that un-optional fees have always stuck in my craw a bit as they reek of bait and switch.

Room for $189 per night!!!!
+$9.99 resort fee
+$17.00 parking fee
+$9.99 turn down service
+$9.99 elevator usage fee
+$9.99 we will not punch you in the face fee

I don't mind them having a pay as you go mini-bar in the room, I can just not use it, but having to pay for a USA today that will do noting with but shove in the recycling bin tweaks my brain a bit.

True, though with jet blue they are included.

As for the dolphin, I totally get it. However, We had no car, so it was just as well that the price of parkng wasn't folded into the hotel room already.

jlsHouston

I always have a car...this will be the 3rd time I have stayed at Dolphin. I've never paid less than say the top Disney mod rate with a preferred view after resort fees and parking were factored in. And in this case I am paying what I would have paid for a Disney Epcot resort standard view with AP discount had I booked when those rooms were available instead of waiting until the last minute to decide to make this quick trip.... But this is a JIT operation here so...I pay to play and stay... I was happy to get room around EPCOT. I actually have a customer on property right now and I am meeting him and his wife Wednesday night and taking them to Yachtsman...Hope this place is nice. I tried to persuade him on Jiko or Shula's...

We stayed at The Swan for 10 nights back in 2012 & had a great time.
It was our visit to WDW for years & we did not feel that we missed out on anything by not staying in a Disney hotel.
Were from the UK & had spent a few days in Miami before driving up to Orlando so not having the MDE wasn’t an issue for us, our flight home was also from Miami so again no MDE did not cause a problem.
We also were not fussed about the dining plan so again we didn’t miss it.
The hotel was great & we loved the location & being able to walk to Epcot & HS was a bonus.
We did not encounter any issues with the bus service to & from the parks apart from on a couple of occasions on late nights from the MK & when that happened we jumped on a YC / BC bus & walked to the Swan from there.
We had not booked the trip until January 2012 so at that time it was the Swan & or Dolphin or nothing, the cost of 10 nights there versus what we had budgeted for our preferred hotel (The Contemporary) shocked us, in fact we were convinced that the Disney UK rep that we spoke to had made a mistake the price was so low.
Although we stayed at OKW & the YC last year (30% discount at OKW, free dining & a $200 Disney Card sealed the deal), we would definitely go back to the Swan in the future.
If you are looking for a modern hotel that is not themed to within an inch of its life but you still want to be in the Disney bubble then the Swan / Dolphin are worth checking out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom