Do people really avoid the Swan/Dolphin merely because...

4disneylovers

I personally avoid Swan and Dolphin simply because I have seen to many people complain about being surprised about something that was different they didn't expect. So I just never consider them.

slappy magoo

I've never stayed on site. My family always stays at a Quality Inn or something just outside the resort about 10 or 15 minutes away..

There's not really a point for us to pay so much freakin money for a hotel room if we're just going to spend our entire days at the parks anyways! We only ever come to the room at night.

And that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not how everybody visits WDW. We arrange a lot of down time in the hotel. and did so even before we had kids and even before we became WDW members. So having impeccably themed resorts with nice amenities and extra things to do, as well as a good location with free parking at the parks, is great for us.

Disneyhead'71

...says the member who includes "Disney" and the year WDW was opened in the screen name :D
The '71 is for my first trip to WDW. Dec. 26th, 1971. And at 51, I am looking for more luxury, and less marketing. It's not like I'm going to forget that I'm at "Disney" unless they shove Mickey in my face every 37 seconds.

And that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not how everybody visits WDW. We arrange a lot of down time in the hotel. and did so even before we had kids and even before we became WDW members. So having impeccably themed resorts with nice amenities and extra things to do, as well as a good location with free parking at the parks, is great for us.
And that is why I stay outside the bubble. True luxury resorts, real quality amenities, and no need to wade through knee deep screaming brats to get to the bar.

surfsupdon

And that is why I stay outside the bubble. True luxury resorts, real quality amenities, and no need to wade through knee deep screaming brats to get to the bar.

What are the real quality amenities that other Resorts have? I have stayed at some luxury resorts too, but their amenity list seemed comparable to Disney's Deluxe. Unless I am totally not thinking and taking things for granted. Help me out. I'm running a checklist thru my head, but can't think of any serious plusses. What do ya got?

At a Deluxe, I've not waded through kids to get to a bar. I have, however, at the pool bars at Values and Moderates. So I will agree with some of that. :)

Nick Pappagiorgio

What are the real quality amenities that other Resorts have? I have stayed at some luxury resorts too, but their amenity list seemed comparable to Disney's Deluxe. Unless I am totally not thinking and taking things for granted. Help me out. I'm running a checklist thru my head, but can't think of any serious plusses. What do ya got?

At a Deluxe, I've not waded through kids to get to a bar. I have, however, at the pool bars at Values and Moderates. So I will agree with some of that. :)

Really? When I was there Hurricane Hannah's was crawling with kids and their kids meals in buckets.

I read the post as real quality amenities (meaning not more but better quality), which I would certainly agree with in regards to most aspects of the Swolphin.

surfsupdon

Really? When I was there Hurricane Hannah's was crawling with kids and their kids meals in buckets.

I read the post as real quality amenities (meaning not more but better quality), which I would certainly agree with in regards to most aspects of the Swolphin.

Skip Hanna's and go to Crews Cup. Still in pool area (inside) and it's adult focused. And I agree that the quality of some amenities at Swolphin are below average, but I find some at Disney Deluxes to be better, usually much better.

4disneylovers

What have you heard people complain about that was different from what they expected?

The latest one was different cancellation policy on different specials. So they cancelled and lost money instead of full refund which they would have gotten from Disney and was told it was in the fine print. It was The particular special they booked.

216bruce

We've considered staying at them but after walking through them on the way to Fantasia Gardens we just found it to be too "convention-y". Lots of salesmen/business/corporate looking guys wandering around, drink-in-hand. Not our sort of thing for a Disney vacation. Beautiful places though.

WDW_Jon

Worst experience I ever had with convention was at the Yacht club, utter chaos.
Stayed at the dolphin 3 times now for 2 weeks each time and you may get the odd busy day or two it on the whole the resort isn't badly affected in my opinion as the meeting/convention space is huge and doesn't encroach on the main areas of the hotel from what I've seen...
We did have issue one evening trying to get a bus to DTD when a lot of the people on business decided to go there but that was it...

Disneyhead'71

Just spend a couple of days at The Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes. The differences are painfully obvious. Things like a pool concierge that wraps the chaise lounge of your choice in 3 Turkish terry towels. Citrus ice water dispensers everywhere. And 24 hour room service is a must.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
When people complain about too many conventions at the Dolphin, but don't make similar complaints about the Yacht Club, and when people complain about the Sean having outdated rooms, but don't make similar complaints about the Beach Club, it just proves my point in starting this thread. That is, I genuinely believe that there are people out there who avoid the Swan/Dolphin simply because it is not Disney owned. Said another way, if the Swan/Dolphin was owned by Disney, I would be willing to bet anything that it would rank right near the top of all Disney resorts.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
When people complain about too many conventions at the Dolphin, but don't make similar complaints about the Yacht Club, and when people complain about the Sean having outdated rooms, but don't make similar complaints about the Beach Club, it just proves my point in starting this thread. That is, I genuinely believe that there are people out there who avoid the Swan/Dolphin simply because it is not Disney owned. Said another way, if the Swan/Dolphin was owned by Disney, I would be willing to bet anything that it would rank right near the top of all Disney resorts.
I stayed at the Swan for a conference a couple years ago. I told people then that it was extremely comfortable, had good service and nice amenities and that I was amazed at how a hotel in the middle of WDW could make you completely forget you were in the middle of WDW. Some people thought I meant that last point as a positive, and some as a negative. For me, it was a negative, but for those who aren't Disney fans, it could be a positive. Ownership isn't the issue, though.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
I don't get the whole theme argument. How does a resort themed like a New Jersey boardwalk or a New England beach house or a Polynesian island or a campground make you scream "Disney?" Don't get me wrong, those themes are all very cool and imaginative, but they don't correlate to Disney anymore than the sheer elegance and class of the Swan/Dolphin do.

CaptainAmerica

I don't get the whole theme argument. How does a resort themed like a New Jersey boardwalk or a New England beach house or a Polynesian island or a campground make you scream "Disney?" Don't get me wrong, those themes are all very cool and imaginative, but they don't correlate to Disney anymore than the sheer elegance and class of the Swan/Dolphin do.
It doesn't have to be themed "Disney" (a la DAAR) for me to enjoy the theme. DAKL is by far my favorite resort because its theme is executed flawlessly from the lobby to the rooms to the dining. So what if that theme is an African savanna rather than princesses and pixie dust?

Also... "sheer elegance and class"? Seriously?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I wish I had a good, evidence based explanation, but the Disney resorts have a Disney feel to them that S&D and other non-Disney resorts somehow lack.

Maybe it is the subtle to over the top integration of Disney characters and visuals into the decor and design of the Disney resorts. For all I know the pump a hallucinogenic into the air.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom